ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Jordan once lost a conference game 92-31

He is also said that he doesn’t try to instill toughness and heart in his players. He said it. His words.

You are definitely reading into a quote that, admittedly, can be SELECTIVELY read into.

I read it differently (and likely as intended): “Rebounding is about heart and toughness. You can’t coach that.”

Having said that, maybe it works in the pros, but in college they should definitely try to light in a fire in guys and help them realize their potential.

Reactions: RUMatt and RUnTeX
When the likes of Fred Hill Jr wasn't even the worst coach here in the last 20 years...that says something about how putrid a job Ed did.
Why debate this?

Between Young and Pike there were two mediocre-to-decent coaches; two disgraces (who were otherwise mediocre); and three complete disasters.

Is it fun to debate who was the worst?

A reasonable debate might be Pike vs. Young as best coach - but that’s even a dumb debate because there are so many variables.

Our lone conference win from that season! I believe Minnesota had like 5 guys suspended or something like that. We basically beat an intramural squad.
yup few of their best players filmed a sex tape gang bang that got out

What's with the '-'?

Some people having difficulty with the written word.

I think he means “Example #1” or “Exhibit A”.

I infer that he is somehow saying that my calling him a troll (for bringing up who people vote for) as proof of me being uninformed.

In fairness, it’s before 10am so his BAC is probably still floating above .08.

You are definitely reading into a quote that, admittedly, can be SELECTIVELY read into.

I read it differently (and likely as intended): “Rebounding is about heart and toughness. You can’t coach that.”

Having said that, maybe it works in the pros, but in college they should definitely try to light in a fire in guys and help them realize their potential.

I’m not sure what your point is - your read doesn’t reflect on Jordan any better.

“You can’t coach toughness and heart”.

That is the very essence of this program right now - toughness and heart. It’s one of the main reasons for our success.

You absolutely CAN (and MUST!!) instill that in your program - particularly a program likely RU which is commonly gonna be facing teams with more talent.

And in your latter paragraphs you seem to acknowledge that so I am really not sure what your point is.

Your read that his comment was “you can’t coach toughness” doesn’t make Jordan look any better in any way whatsoever. It’s a simply ridiculous statement for a college coach to make - no matter how you read it.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I’m not sure what your point is - your read doesn’t reflect on Jordan any better.

That is the very essence of this program right now - toughness and heart. It’s one of the main reasons for our success.

You absolutely CAN (and MUST!!) instill that in your program - particularly a program likely RU which is commonly gonna be facing teams with more talent.

And in your latter paragraphs you seem to acknowledge that so I am really not sure what your point is.

Your read that his comment was “you can’t coach toughness” doesn’t make Jordan look any better in any way whatsoever. It’s a simply ridiculous statement for a college coach to make - no matter how you read it.
He wanted Eddie to be the head coach.

He wanted Eddie to be the head coach.

Boils down to:

I read the comment “I don’t teach toughness”

He read it “you can’t teach toughness”

Both are alarmingly moronic statements from a college coach.

… and l, admittedly, wanted Jordan too. Embarrassing to say in hindsight since he was utterly incompetent

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

Damn! You are ADAMANT about whatever point it is you are making. Of course, adamant and compelling are two different things.

But reasonable people can disagree.

Perhaps a dumb quote.

That said, even under Pike (where the collective teams are tenacious), some individuals show tenacity/intensity and some don’t.

I watched Jordan play, he was a great player and a true leader on the final 4 team.
I feel bad for him and his family BTN and this board singles him out in embarrassing fashion..
He didn’t have success here, why we celebrate Pike's success by acknowledging the Jordan era constantly is sad..
I didn’t watch him play and if I did maybe my view would be different.

He took the job, along with the money and didn’t put the prerequisite amount of work necessary to succeed. I hate him for that.

He didn’t fail. He didn’t try.

I remember when Jordan made that quote. Izzo has a rebounding drill in every single practice. Jordan felt it wasn't worth a college coach spending time on. One is a Hall of Fame coach, one was a great player that was in over his head as a head coach. Jordan stepped into a very bad situation, and he is a loyal son, but was never going to have us dancing.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Damn! You are ADAMANT about whatever point it is you are making. Of course, adamant and compelling are two different things.

But reasonable people can disagree.

Perhaps a dumb quote.

That said, even under Pike (where the collective teams are tenacious), some individuals show tenacity/intensity and some don’t.

My points were quite clear. Not in the mood for a message board fight. Enjoy the rest of your day. Go RU

That's
He is also said that he doesn’t try to instill toughness and heart in his players. He said it. His words.
That's not what those words mean. It gets back to rebounding drills. He doesn't teach via drills, but by instilling toughness and heart.

I watched Jordan play, he was a great player and a true leader on the final 4 team.
I feel bad for him and his family BTN and this board singles him out in embarrassing fashion..
He didn’t have success here, why we celebrate Pike's success by acknowledging the Jordan era constantly is sad..
Full agree, Zap - EJ was a class act and a nice young man as a student-athlete at RU. I was in college at RU when he was there. I played pickup with him at the old auxiliary gym adjacent to the Barn a couple times - we were of course legions apart in ability but he generously passed me the ball like any other teammate. I've never forgotten that kindness.

Rutgers shot 12-50 24%, 2pt 9-34 26.5%, 3pt 3-16 18.8%, FT 4-8
Myles Mack led the team 8 pts, 3-8
Judge 2-9, Jack 3-9, JJ Moore 1-8, Seagears 0-1
Etou 1-5, D'Von Campbell 1-4, Craig Brown 1-2
Louisville had 19 steals off 26 Rutgers TOs
Offensive Efficiency of 59.3, Louisville Def Efficiency of 49.7

Louisville 32-70 45.7%, 8-27 29.6%, FTs 20-30

It could have been much worse if Louisville shot better.

Last edited:
That's

That's not what those words mean. It gets back to rebounding drills. He doesn't teach via drills, but by instilling toughness and heart.

Ok. Whatever.

Clearly the results of Jordan’s efforts manifested on the floor through great rebounding teams that played with toughness and heart….

Oh wait….

We can parse the words of an incompetent and lazy buffoon (as RU coach) all day or not.

Personally I’m done.

Ok. Whatever.

Clearly the results of Jordan’s efforts manifested on the floor through great rebounding teams that played with toughness and heart….

Oh wait….

We can parse the words of an incompetent and lazy buffoon (as RU coach) all day or not.

Personally I’m done.
Who asked you to compliment him?

I remember when Jordan made that quote. Izzo has a rebounding drill in every single practice. Jordan felt it wasn't worth a college coach spending time on. One is a Hall of Fame coach, one was a great player that was in over his head as a head coach. Jordan stepped into a very bad situation, and he is a loyal son, but was never going to have us dancing.
Why is he loyal?

Reactions: Local Shill
Rutgers shot 12-50 24%, 2pt 9-34 26.5%, 3pt 3-16 18.8%, FT 4-8
Myles Mack led the team 8 pts, 3-8
Judge 2-9, Jack 3-9, JJ Moore 1-8, Seagears 0-1
Etou 1-5, D'Von Campbell 1-4, Craig Brown 1-2
Louisville had 19 steals off 26 Rutgers TOs
Offensive Efficiency of 59.3, Louisville Def Efficiency of 49.7

Louisville 32-70 45.7%, 8-27 29.6%, FTs 20-30

It could have been much worse if Louisville shot better.
Crazy thing is that was talentes

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
All I know is that last night I was watching the game and thought that this is the type of team (Minny) that we need to dominate. Then it hit me that just a few years ago everyone in the BIG was saying that about us when they played us. Thank you Pike!!!!

Eddie Jordan took the Rutgers job when it was both toxic and had a pretty decent history as a career killer. Mike Brey suggested we shut down the program post-Mike Rice. Danny Hurley demanded an insane contract to coach here. I am certain Eddie took the job, at least in part, because he had an affinity and connection to his alma mater. I am sure he felt he could get Rutgers past the Mike Rice debacle with no further scandal.

His tenure as HC is what it is is, but I see no need to trash the guy (imo).

Eddie Jordan took the Rutgers job when it was both toxic and had a pretty decent history as a career killer. Mike Brey suggested we shut down the program post-Mike Rice. Danny Hurley demanded an insane contract to coach here. I am certain Eddie took the job, at least in part, because he had an affinity and connection to his alma mater. I am sure he felt he could get Rutgers past the Mike Rice debacle with no further scandal.

His tenure as HC is what it is is, but I see no need to trash the guy (imo).
I could not have said it better. Boy, as a fan base, we have a lot of growing up to do. Yes I just called out a lot of people, so feel free to respond any way you want. Remember the past. Look to the future. Don't live in the past.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Who asked you to compliment him?
i-literally-have-u8hp6n.jpg

Reactions: zappaa
Why is it so difficult to understand?

It's a "whole picture" thing.

Zap is asking posters to show a little class!

No one disputes that Jordan struggled as the RU head coach.

Is it necessary to continually drag his name through the mud, particularly since he had such a stellar career at RU. Bashing the guy with the same old stories that are brought up every time his coaching career here is mentioned serves NO useful purpose.

It would be nice to show a little respect to the guy who helped put RU basketball on the map. Those years showed us what is possible at RU - even if it took us 50 years to make a name for our selves again.

I think it is possible to proclaim all the positives associated with our current head coach without feeling it necessary to relentlessly belittle those who came before.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: WRSU78 and zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT