ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Jordan once lost a conference game 92-31

Why is it so difficult to understand?

It's a "whole picture" thing.

Zap is asking posters to show a little class!

No one disputes that Jordan struggled as the RU head coach.

Is it necessary to continually drag his name through the mud, particularly since he had such a stellar career at RU. Bashing the guy with the same old stories that are brought up every time his coaching career here is mentioned serves NO useful purpose.

It would be nice to show a little respect to the guy who helped put RU basketball on the map. Those years showed us what is possible at RU - even if it took us 50 years to make a name for our selves again.

I think it is possible to proclaim all the positives associated with our current head coach without feeling it necessary to relentlessly belittle those who came before.

Just my opinion.
He was paid very handsomely. He didn’t take the job out of the goodness of his heart. And I highly doubt he’ll ever read any of this. He deserves to be ripped.

Eddie Jordan took the Rutgers job when it was both toxic and had a pretty decent history as a career killer. Mike Brey suggested we shut down the program post-Mike Rice. Danny Hurley demanded an insane contract to coach here. I am certain Eddie took the job, at least in part, because he had an affinity and connection to his alma mater. I am sure he felt he could get Rutgers past the Mike Rice debacle with no further scandal.

His tenure as HC is what it is is, but I see no need to trash the guy (imo).
Sorry. He got paid a lot of money and I am sure there were ton of other people willing to take the job and put in the time that the job requires.

What might have bothered me the most about him was his inability to utilize his assistant coaches. It was as if he thought he didn’t need them and was above them. Contrast that with how Pike uses and respects his coaching staff.

Sorry, but everything about Eddie Jordan and his time here makes me so angry.

Reactions: Local Shill
Greg Schiano 1.0 football program put us on the basketball map. The 1976 Rutgers team has had zero to do with where we are right now.

Where did you read and hear that?

The rebounding thing has been covered above.

The interview thing goes back to 2010. He had shown interest in the job, and we were trying to get him to come in and interview - and he pulled out, apparently because Rutgers "knew what they were getting with him" and he didn't feel the need to come interview for the job. We then went with Mike Rice. In 2013 after Rice flamed out, he did come in and interview for the position before accepting an offer.

I'd have to dig deep in the internet to find a source on that 13 years later.

The rebounding thing has been covered above.

The interview thing goes back to 2010. He had shown interest in the job, and we were trying to get him to come in and interview - and he pulled out, apparently because Rutgers "knew what they were getting with him" and he didn't feel the need to come interview for the job. We then went with Mike Rice. In 2013 after Rice flamed out, he did come in and interview for the position before accepting an offer.

I'd have to dig deep in the internet to find a source on that 13 years later.
So he did interview for the job.

So he did interview for the job.

After Hill was fired, my understanding was that he expected to be offered the job without interview because he had been an NBA head coach for the prior 7 years (even though he had just been fired twice in two seasons)... and he withdrew his name from consideration when Pernetti didn't just hand him the job on a platter. At the time, it seemed like he felt he'd be doing us a favor by accepting the job, rather than him having to earn it through a search process.

Second go round, after he spent two years out of coaching and a year as an assistant in LA, with dim prospects of ever landing another HC job anywhere else, he agreed to interview with Carl Kirschner.

That may be a huge misread of the situation, but that was the impression I got. Always rubbed me the wrong way.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
When the likes of Fred Hill Jr wasn't even the worst coach here in the last 20 years...that says something about how putrid a job Ed did.
And both hires were celebrated at the time .
I must admit I was OK with the Jordan hiring based on what was going on. I was not OK with hill jr, as I felt he shouldn’t have been hired off being part of an unsuccessful regime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT