ADVERTISEMENT

EMU's stats from their first game

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Played smaller school Charlotte.
EMU's QB (Roback) was 22/31 267yds with no TD's and 1 int.
They had 126yds on the ground.
Their D gave up 166yds on the ground with one player getting 101yds.
They scored early and then seemed to bog down.

This is their second half series of which they had the ball 9 times:
Total yards: 155
One TD which accounted for half of their total (76yds)
6 punts (with the last four possessions all 3 and out)
1 out on downs (failed to get 10 yds on four plays)
Last series time ran out after two plays for 2 yards.

This does not appear to be a good team on either side of the ball. How we do against them, in our house, will be a damn good barometer for how the season goes I think. We should be able to dominate and win easily

If our run defense is stout as they were vs. UW we should be in very good shape. Also think that with a similar offensive gameplan as vs. UW we should be able to move the ball. Edwards should have a big day.

Many teams don't play their best football in the first game of the season so I'm not taking their results in game one (or ours) to mean a whole lot.

EMU made three interceptions in that game. That's a statistic I'd tape to Bolin's locker this week.

I hope the OP is correct and we dominate so that we can (a) rest some of our starters and (b) get some good game experience for our backup QB (whoever that is) and some of the other young players we think might help the team later this season.

Just win. I' m a bit upset we are only favored by 4. That's the margin for being the home team, which means the gods think our teams are equal. Got to prove them very wrong.

Many teams don't play their best football in the first game of the season so I'm not taking their results in game one (or ours) to mean a whole lot.

EMU made three interceptions in that game. That's a statistic I'd tape to Bolin's locker this week.

I hope the OP is correct and we dominate so that we can (a) rest some of our starters and (b) get some good game experience for our backup QB (whoever that is) and some of the other young players we think might help the team later this season.

1) agree re: "1st game"

2) Did they MAKE 3 INT's or were 3 passes thrown into their hands? Big difference, IMHO. I thought we had a shot for a couple last week, however failed, and I think I might know why (but I'll discuss that elsewhere).

3) run, run, run, open it up to hit big plays downfield, and WIN, that's all!

Consider me greedy, but I want to see a dominant RU performance.

2) Did they MAKE 3 INT's or were 3 passes thrown into their hands? Big difference, IMHO. I thought we had a shot for a couple last week, however failed, and I think I might know why (but I'll discuss that elsewhere).
Not sure how good the EMU interceptions were. But my point about taping that stat on his locker was more about getting Bolin to be a little more careful with throws into crowds (in general) than any concern about EMU specifically.

Avoid those two picks, maybe make a couple more first downs when we were pinned down on our goal line, and get better coverage on that punt return and we maybe win that last game.

I think anyone who goes to the game Saturday in hopes of seeing some air raid football is gonna be seriously disappointed. I'd bet we run them into the ground. I'd look for Edwards and Martin both to go over 100.

This. They gave up nearly 200 years to...Charlotte...who went 4-8 last year in CUSA.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I think they will stack the box against us and force us to throw a bit. They have a good secondary so hopefully our WRs come ready to play.

EMU is not a good football team or program. Heard they were considering doing away with football. Should be a Rutgers win.

EMU is not a good football team or program. Heard they were considering doing away with football. Should be a Rutgers win.

A faculty member made a recommendation they drop down to the Horizon League at a Board of Regents meeting about a year and a half ago. EMU is subsidizing 80% of the athletic budget, which is highest in the MAC. Dropping down to the Horizon League (where Youngstown State is) would save the University $15M -- $20M per year.

Last April, EMU said they have no plans to drop football or move down to FCS.

ground and pound all day and we will dare them to throw at us..
If the short passing game is something we plan on using against the tougher competition we play this year, then I hope we see it this weekend. I'd like to see the full repertoire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT