ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN- Best Surprises -Rutgers!

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
"Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights went a combined 12-22 in Greg Schiano's first three seasons back in Piscataway, and that was a sign of undeniable progress -- they had, after all, won just 13 games in the previous five seasons before he returned. But they're 5-2 this season after Saturday's comeback win over Michigan State. Their offense is competent, their defense is good, and while they haven't beaten any SP+ top-50 teams, handling your business against beatable teams is still pretty awesome when you haven't finished over .500 in nine years."

^^^The above is the only portion of a longer article covering a range of topics. There is no other Rutgers content in the article. Good press, for ESPN, however!!!

Last edited:
"Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights went a combined 12-22 in Greg Schiano's first three seasons back in Piscataway, and that was a sign of undeniable progress -- they had, after all, won just 13 games in the previous five seasons before he returned. But they're 5-2 this season after Saturday's comeback win over Michigan State. Their offense is competent, their defense is good, and while they haven't beaten any SP+ top-50 teams, handling your business against beatable teams is still pretty awesome when you haven't finished over .500 in nine years."

So many of our posters will still fail to see what the national media sees.

^^^The above is the only portion of a longer article covering a range of topics. There is no other Rutgers content in the article. Good press, for ESPN, however!!!

They said the offense is competent ? It's been a while.
And we all know there's a lot of quality players on defense.
And very few seniors.
And a less "stacked against us" schedule next season.
The future looks kinda bright.

So many of our posters will still fail to see what the national media sees.
Mad dog was on Sirius yesterday saying the whole league stinks except the big 3. Even iowa , Wisconsin and Maryland stink. He mentioned us too as one of the stinkers/terrible teams

And very few seniors.
The D is deep. If we can continue to develop the OL - including some of the 21 and 22 OL recruits being ready to play - Wimsatt continues to develop, and a WR or two steps up, we’re a 6+ win team again next season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Mad dog was on Sirius yesterday saying the whole league stinks except the big 3. Even iowa , Wisconsin and Maryland stink. He mentioned us too as one of the stinkers/terrible teams
If he thinks we stink this year imagine when we were losing 78-0. Not sure MadDogs use of the word “stinks” is appropriate

And very few seniors.
Aren't there a LOT of senions on D?

3 of the starting 4 linemen are senions.
1 starting LB and I would not be surprised if Powell opts for the NFL. Touray is in his 5th year and is probably gone.
Melton, Dixon are seniors.

SO I would think we lose 5-7 starters next year.

Reactions: Morrischiano

1 starting LB and I would not be surprised if Powell opts for the NFL. Touray is in his 5th year and is probably gone.

Yea, I'm concerned we take a step back on defense next season. Will be interesting to see how we do in the portal this offseason.

I’m calling BS on that. Someone should flip the question back to them this was. The BIG has 3 top 10 teams. Go ahead Mad Dog - present your case right now that the 4-6th best teams in any other conference are clearly so much better than Iowa, Wisconsin or Maryland? If so, based on what? It seems to me there’s a lot of parity this year outside of the very best teams.

Some of the linemen may have another year eligibility.

That’s not what he said. He said specially the league stinks

Go ahead. Make an argument that the B12, for instance, is better. Let’s hear it. Yeah I’m cherry picking I know, but so what? I’m doing it to prove a point. Oklahoma State lost to South Alabama. Iowa State lost to Ohio. Texas Tech lost to Wyoming. Houston lost to Rice. Baylor lost to Texas State. Cincy lost to Miami (Ohio). That’s 6 of their 14 teams. Then you also have UCF that played nobody OOC and are 0-3 in the B12 with a collection of blow out losses. That right there is half the conference. They have their big 2 so to speak in Texas and Oklahoma (one less than us). Every one of the other 5 teams has at least one loss to the teams I mentioned above with Group of 5 losses. Guess how many losses the BIG has to group of 5 teams? One. Purdue lost to Fresno State. Currently, Purdue has one BIG win over Illinois.

Non-conference comparisons aren’t the only metric, I get that, but then, it’s one of the closest things to apples to apples out there.

Go ahead. Make an argument that the B12, for instance, is better. Let’s hear it. Yeah I’m cherry picking I know, but so what? I’m doing it to prove a point. Oklahoma State lost to South Alabama. Iowa State lost to Ohio. Texas Tech lost to Wyoming. Houston lost to Rice. Baylor lost to Texas State. Cincy lost to Miami (Ohio). That’s 6 of their 14 teams. Then you also have UCF that played nobody OOC and are 0-3 in the B12 with a collection of blow out losses. That right there is half the conference. They have their big 2 so to speak in Texas and Oklahoma (one less than us). Every one of the other 5 teams has at least one loss to the teams I mentioned above with Group of 5 losses. Guess how many losses the BIG has to group of 5 teams? One. Purdue lost to Fresno State. Currently, Purdue has one BIG win over Illinois.

Non-conference comparisons aren’t the only metric, I get that, but then, it’s one of the closest things to apples to apples out there.
Plum being dumb dragging down a feel good thread again.

Plum being dumb dragging down a feel good thread again.
I am not dragging it down. Someone posted love from the national media and I posted something that a national media member said on his show yesterday.
I didn’t say I agreed with mad dog said , just reporting back to the board what he did say.

Mad Dog is a mushmouthed moron. Stick to the SF Giants. Big Mike was always the better of that duo anyway.

Reactions: RW90
WHO? HaHaHa…🤡…

Mad Dog is a mushmouthed moron. Stick to the SF Giants. Big Mike was always the better of that duo anyway.
Do posters remember when this JO and Fat Mike couldn’t say enough good things about RU… guest team captains at a spring game if memory is correct. He’s a phony … a blowhard… over priced tool. He should stick with baseball.

He reminds me of that special RU poster who claimed he couldn’t watch this past week’s game. He didn’t have the BTN channel. Such a loyal fan.😎

I am not dragging it down. Someone posted love from the national media and I posted something that a national media member said on his show yesterday.
I didn’t say I agreed with mad dog said , just reporting back to the board what he did say.

Almost as condescending as your BIG championship thread. Come on, man. The OP posted an article with positive RU media taking notice of our improvement based on factual data about our results to date. You counter that a random talk show dude was running his mouth about how the BIG (including RU) is weak. I didn’t hear it so I can’t speak for the context. But it’s a baseless comment because a) the non-conference results do not support it and b) what your describing doesn’t even sound like it was intended as an RU call out one way or the other.

The BIG has better OOC wins by the way than the SEC and less bad losses.

Almost as condescending as your BIG championship thread. Come on, man. The OP posted an article with positive RU media taking notice of our improvement based on factual data about our results to date. You counter that a random talk show dude was running his mouth about how the BIG (including RU) is weak. I didn’t hear it so I can’t speak for the context. But it’s a baseless comment because a) the non-conference results do not support it and b) what your describing doesn’t even sound like it was intended as an RU call out one way or the other.

The BIG has better OOC wins by the way than the SEC and less bad losses.
It’s not condescending. It’s stating a fact that the guy said it.
He was a well known local radio host for years in the rutgers area and is now national. I thought this was related when someone posted that we were getting love from the national media . Russo is national and said the league stinks and we stink. If he said the league was great and we were great, I would have posted that too.

I think we will see the development of the younger players start to pay off next year on D. We will also see some transfer portal. Keeping Powell for another year is very important.
NIL aside, do you think there is a good shot for him to leave because he may be a potential Day 2 pick?

It’s not condescending. It’s stating a fact that the guy said it.
He was a well known local radio host for years in the rutgers area and is now national. I thought this was related when someone posted that we were getting love from the national media . Russo is national and said the league stinks and we stink. If he said the league was great and we were great, I would have posted that too.
there is good plum and bad plum...deciding to post that crap was just rotten plum. There was no need

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT