ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN- Best Surprises -Rutgers!

It’s not condescending. It’s stating a fact that the guy said it.
He was a well known local radio host for years in the rutgers area and is now national. I thought this was related when someone posted that we were getting love from the national media . Russo is national and said the league stinks and we stink. If he said the league was great and we were great, I would have posted that too.

Again, I didn’t hear it so I can’t comment on the context. I find it hard to imagine he was arguing that the BIG is one of the weakest power conferences or that the teams you mentioned are “weak” relative to the middle of the pack (amongst power conference teams). My guess is he was making the point that after the BIG 3 our next best might not even be top 25 caliber. Iowa just made the fringe cut but more by default than anything else. Your use of the word “stink” is suspect. What your describing sounds like the classic SEC apologist punch line. “Well we have 5 top 25 teams and several others receiving votes”….

That by the way (if that’s what it is) is not negative media for Rutgers. If he’s grouping us with Iowa, Maryland and Wisconsin as stinking our way to 30-45th or so best, that’s still a heck of a lot better than our starting point.

I don't know if I'd put Maryland and Iowa in the stink category. Yes. Maryland's loss was disappointing, but Illinois played a very good game. Iowa has a very good D, if only they had a serviceable offense, which they may have had without the injury at QB. I don't know what direction Wisconsin will go in now with the injury at QB.

Honestly, guys like Mad Dog only tangentially follow the very top echelon of the sport. I don't pay him much mind,

NIL aside, do you think there is a good shot for him to leave because he may be a potential Day 2 pick?
I think he is just starting to play really fast in the triangle. I do not think he is quite there sideline to sideline yet. But he is a big dude that moves well. I think another year will do him good. But man he can be elite at times.

Mad dog was on Sirius yesterday saying the whole league stinks except the big 3. Even iowa , Wisconsin and Maryland stink. He mentioned us too as one of the stinkers/terrible teams

Mad dog = not exactly someone I take seriously when it comes to college football (or really anything).

so if youre not in the top 10 you "stink" - great analysis there. guy gets paid millions(?) for that. unreal.

but like Fatso unfortunately people listen to him and dont see that he's just a blowhard

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Again, I didn’t hear it so I can’t comment on the context. I find it hard to imagine he was arguing that the BIG is one of the weakest power conferences or that the teams you mentioned are “weak” relative to the middle of the pack (amongst power conference teams). My guess is he was making the point that after the BIG 3 our next best might not even be top 25 caliber. Iowa just made the fringe cut but more by default than anything else. Your use of the word “stink” is suspect. What your describing sounds like the classic SEC apologist punch line. “Well we have 5 top 25 teams and several others receiving votes”….

That by the way (if that’s what it is) is not negative media for Rutgers. If he’s grouping us with Iowa, Maryland and Wisconsin as stinking our way to 30-45th or so best, that’s still a heck of a lot better than our starting point.
My use of the word stink? Russo said it . Not me !

Mad dog was on Sirius yesterday saying the whole league stinks except the big 3. Even iowa , Wisconsin and Maryland stink. He mentioned us too as one of the stinkers/terrible teams
Well, if it comes from the mouth of Mad Dog, it must be absolutely true. No one knows college football like Mad Dog does..........NOT.

It’s not condescending. It’s stating a fact that the guy said it.
He was a well known local radio host for years in the rutgers area and is now national. I thought this was related when someone posted that we were getting love from the national media . Russo is national and said the league stinks and we stink. If he said the league was great and we were great, I would have posted that too.
He was a suck ass with Mike Francesa … they both had their heads so far up Rutgers ass in 2006 it was actually funny.

OK. Must be a young crowd, but back during Schiano 1.0 Mad Dog on a number of occasions commented about Gary Schiano.
There was also Kenny Bright in the Big Eastern Conference who was among the nation’s best receivers, according to Dog.

He was a suck ass with Mike Francesa … they both had their heads so far up Rutgers ass in 2006 it was actually funny.

And after the fans that heard their condescension for the 4 years prior ragged on them mercilessly during their live pregame on campus before the Louisville game they never gave Rutgers a break thereafter.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Do posters remember when this JO and Fat Mike couldn’t say enough good things about RU… guest team captains at a spring game if memory is correct. He’s a phony … a blowhard… over priced tool. He should stick with baseball.
He should stick to screaming into his Mr. Microphone from his basement instead of defacing the airwaves.

Reactions: RUBOB72
And after the fans that heard their condescension for the 4 years prior ragged on them mercilessly during their live pregame on campus before the Louisville game they never gave Rutgers a break thereafter.
Life goes on without them

Aren't there a LOT of senions on D?

3 of the starting 4 linemen are senions.
1 starting LB and I would not be surprised if Powell opts for the NFL. Touray is in his 5th year and is probably gone.
Melton, Dixon are seniors.

SO I would think we lose 5-7 starters next year.
I see two D linemen that are seniors....Ahanotu and Iton.
Lewis, Bailey, Thompson, Rainey, Hamilton, Fletcher, Angoy, and Konga have eligibility left after this season.
Only Jennings is a senior at linebacker.
And I see no seniors in the secondary.

Last edited:
I’m calling BS on that. Someone should flip the question back to them this was. The BIG has 3 top 10 teams. Go ahead Mad Dog - present your case right now that the 4-6th best teams in any other conference are clearly so much better than Iowa, Wisconsin or Maryland? If so, based on what? It seems to me there’s a lot of parity this year outside of the very best teams.

Dave Jones, who gnu more than Joe Ped 🙄, ranked RUTGERS #6 over the Terps, doe. He DOESN'T like 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢.

"Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights went a combined 12-22 in Greg Schiano's first three seasons back in Piscataway, and that was a sign of undeniable progress -- they had, after all, won just 13 games in the previous five seasons before he returned. But they're 5-2 this season after Saturday's comeback win over Michigan State. Their offense is competent, their defense is good, and while they haven't beaten any SP+ top-50 teams, handling your business against beatable teams is still pretty awesome when you haven't finished over .500 in nine years."

^^^The above is the only portion of a longer article covering a range of topics. There is no other Rutgers content in the article. Good press, for ESPN, however!!!

It’s great to see the program getting some recognition they sure earned it.
They have come a long way.
I think Schiano and company are doing a great job.
This conference is really a grind though.
Just think, we swept the out of conference games. Beat two programs with internal problems. Lost to a national championship contender and a Big West contender ( I feel with a couple breaks we could have beat Whiskey).
Now we’re one game away from getting to a bowl.
Go Rutgers! Beat Indiana!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT