ADVERTISEMENT

Eugene talks

Has a coach, namely Pike, ever said that a certain player hurt the team or was one of the worst players on the team? Bad argument

Don’t ignore his actions in EO play time and usage and only deflect that Pikes verbal praise and driving to Canada was table stakes.

If your coach is saying EO is one of his best players, and using him in a way that many here feel was inefficient, and went to Canada to try and convince him to stay....

Why are people saying we are better off without EO? Believing that is saying you think Pike has mishandled this roster in a pretty big way.

My thoughts are obviously well known here.....

However I had major concerns going in to this year with Eugene. His health was probably going to be a major issue. There is no doubt to me chemistry was going to be an issue. I also didn't like the way the ball stuck in his hands more and more as the season went off.

I believe there is a good chance our offense improves next year. I am VERY worried about us on the defensive end. This concern would have been there with a hobbled Eugene or without him.

Reactions: KnightTerrors
My thoughts are obviously well known here.....

However I had major concerns going in to this year with Eugene. His health was probably going to be a major issue. There is no doubt to me chemistry was going to be an issue. I also didn't like the way the ball stuck in his hands more and more as the season went off.

I believe there is a good chance our offense improves next year. I am VERY worried about us on the defensive end. This concern would have been there with a hobbled Eugene or without him.

Soph/Jr splits for perspective:

Minutes Played: 348/482
PER: 16.7/18.5
TS: .516/.482
eFG%: .468/.423
DRB%: 14.2/18.3
TRB%: 11.2/13.2
ASST%: 9.9/18.6
ST%: 2.8/1.6
TOV%: 17.7/13.8
USG%: 21.2/26.6

The elephant in the room is that people who think EO is addition by subtraction MUST also feel Pike would not have lowered EOs USG%

Soph/Jr splits for perspective:

Minutes Played: 348/482
PER: 16.7/18.5
TS: .516/.482
eFG%: .468/.423
DRB%: 14.2/18.3
TRB%: 11.2/13.2
ASST%: 9.9/18.6
ST%: 2.8/1.6
TOV%: 17.7/13.8
USG%: 21.2/26.6

The elephant in the room is that people who think EO is addition by subtraction MUST also feel Pike would not have lowered EOs USG%

Of course his usage went up. We didn't have anyone like him last season after Freeman was a usage hog the year before. This year we do (Yeboah). I think I'd rather have Omoruyi than not have him, but I think his usage was going to go down this season had he stayed.

Of course his usage went up. We didn't have anyone like him last season after Freeman was a usage hog the year before. This year we do (Yeboah). I think I'd rather have Omoruyi than not have him, but I think his usage was going to go down this season had he stayed.

that would have been the hope....my fear would have been it wouldnt

This is my point. It’s 100% a certainty that having EO is better than not having him. Anyone saying we’re better off not having him and supports that take by saying he would be playing to big of a role is directly speaking to feeling as if Pikiell would not manage the roster properly.

I don't know Cali, I don't think he was recruited OVER exactly. I believe PIke thought there would be significant roles for both of them and that together they could make the team better. I do suspect that Eugene was not thrilled by that development, for whatever reason.
It's obvious why he got Yeboah... Eugene was not going to stay healthy over a full season. He wasnt recruiting over, he was picking up an equivalent as insurance.

It's obvious why he got Yeboah... Eugene was not going to stay healthy over a full season. He wasnt recruiting over, he was picking up an equivalent as insurance.

I don't disagree CERU00, but I think it was a little more than pure insurance. I believe Pike felt they could also BOTH contribute if Eugene stayed healthy and together they would make the team better, but I agree that Eugene wasn't recruited over.

Reactions: CERU00

Yeboah missed time with a knee injury last year too

Baker is not the best defender. Still, what he does for the team does not always show up in the box score. He is a leader of the team, keeps a positive vibe, and stays in the gym. He is also a nice kid.

His fg numbers will get better once he develops his legs more,etc. Right now he gets bumped around and has not been confident driving all the time.

3.1 rebound for a guard, 4 assist, 34.1 3 pt percentage. Let's show his strengths as well.

Defensively he needs work. He should never be guarding the pg/ fastest kid on the other team. Still, one of the best leaders, if not the best leader on the team. Let's give him some credit.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Yes, he missed 1 game. It's unlikely Yeboah's knee is anywhere near as damaged as Eugene's.

His knee hasn't taken nearly the damage Omoruyi's has, but I can't discount it, either.

Earlier this year, I went and read some of the Stony Brook board's game threads. Yeboah sprained his knee at the start of the Quinnipiac game on 12/22, missed the Northern Iowa game on 12/29, and was back with a structural knee brace from 1/5 until 2/2. There were a lot of comments from fans that he was "not playing 100%" or "isn't nearly as quick since the injury" and that the brace was limiting his mobility.

Up to the game with the injury, he'd been averaging 20.0 ppg on 39.8% shooting from the arc.... after he came back, he averaged 15.2 ppg on 26.6% shooting from the arc. He also went to the line a lot less after the injury, dropping from 5.6 attempts per game to 3.2.... which may have meant he was going less aggressively to the rim. His assist numbers also doubled once he came back, which may have meant he was looking more for open players rather than looking to score.

Was hoping it was just a temporary blip and he'd come into this season fully healthy - but now he's out 1-2 weeks with another minor knee injury. I don't know if it is the same knee, or the same problem, or any details - but there's enough there for me to be concerned about his stability this year.

Yeboah and Harper are 2 guys that have to be healthy.

I fear this.....

4- Harper (25) Carter (15)
5- Johnson (25) Duke (10) Carter (5)

I don't know Cali, I don't think he was recruited OVER exactly. I believe PIke thought there would be significant roles for both of them and that together they could make the team better. I do suspect that Eugene was not thrilled by that development, for whatever reason.

And running from that is a very immature point of view by Eugene. Because we all know that there is no competition in professional basketball or for life, in that matter.

Decisions have consequences.

And running from that is a very immature point of view by Eugene. Because we all know that there is no competition in professional basketball or for life, in that matter.

Decisions have consequences.

You don’t know the situation. It is possible he wasn’t the only immature party.

If you were Eugene’s Mom or Dad and he was very unhappy I’d think/hope you would support and embrace the concept of making a change. I doubt you would say Eugene stay you owe the coaches and fans something

If you were Eugene’s Mom or Dad and he was very unhappy I’d think/hope you would support and embrace the concept of making a change. I doubt you would say Eugene stay you owe the coaches and fans something

Sorry Greene. You are wrong.

I am a Dad of student athletes. I am also a coach.

And I taught commitment to the team. I taught leadership. I taught working harder when the going got tough.

He stated pretty clearly why he left on social media per the OP in this thread and as a team leader that was a pretty shitty reason.......and right on cue you come to the guy who f'd RU's defense and get on Baker, the guy who bleeds scarlet's case.

Sorry Greene. You are wrong.

I am a Dad of student athletes. I am also a coach.

And I taught commitment to the team. I taught leadership. I taught working harder when the going got tough.

Stop it with this nonsense. You think being a Dad of student athlete and a coach means you are right? So silly.

He stated pretty clearly why he left on social media per the OP in this thread and as a team leader that was a pretty shitty reason.......and right on cue you come to the guy who f'd RU's defense and get on Baker, the guy who bleeds scarlet's case.
what did he say?

Stop it with this nonsense. You think being a Dad of student athlete and a coach means you are right? So silly.

You are being ridiculous. You assumed I would say or do something. And I corrected you, saying what I would do and what I did. Sorry if you can’t take the truth.

And since you love to argue, I will let you have the last word. I am not responding to you on this going forward.

Peace.

some of the takes here are amazing

first of all Eugene is classless for running down the program, the less said the better. He needs to be called out for being a jerk.

secondly the idea that Eugene wouldnt start this year is laughable..no discussion needed on that. We can dislike Eugene for leaving and for his comments but lets not be delusional about his position and value to the team..just as Pike and just look at last year. The revisionist history is eyerolling on Gene.

Geo Baker is absolutely right for calling Eugene out, no issue with that at all.

that being said, he is gone, he have to make do, we would be a more complete team with him and there is much uncertainty about who makes up for the defense and rebounding

this team will develop a new identity without him and Pike really needs to land a guy that will replace him long term

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT