ADVERTISEMENT

Eugene talks

Are you serious. If that is the case why were we so bad when Eugene was out or playing on 1 leg.

Do people forget the end of last season or the 3 games Eugene missed?

Did anyone watch the Nebraska game?
Do you remember the ohio state game on the other hand? We can play this game however we want. You will see this year that we as a team are better without eugene. Just as I said we as a team would be better without deshawn freeman

It’s obvious he is team leader. Why the need to respond on social media? Let it go and let your actions on the court speak for themselves.
Fig, let me ask you something. How old are you? If I had to guess id say 62+

Are you serious. If that is the case why were we so bad when Eugene was out or playing on 1 leg.

Do people forget the end of last season or the 3 games Eugene missed?

Did anyone watch the Nebraska game?
Very serious he did not fit into their TEAM concept. He was more of a give me the ball and let me go methodically one on one for 10 seconds of the possession. Yes the current guys would ball his ass up and down the floor

You give me a one on one RH jr and him and he would get his ass kicked all over the court

I thought Eugene was a heck of a player and posted it many times on the board. That written Oregon's 2019 class is linked below. They have four (4)- four and five star players for the 2019 class 6'8"+. Plus Luk Wur who is another 6'8"+ 3* kid. I assume most if not all of them will be around, with a full year of CBB experience, when EO takes the floor in 2020. I know Rutgers and Coach P thought a lot of Omoruyi. Hopefully Coach Altman does as well.

As I wrote I liked Eugene a bunch and he might be really good at Oregon, but there sure as heck is a path to a Rosario-like UF role for Eugene at Oregon. It sure looks like HC Altman recruited a ton of highly regarded bigs, none of whom is thought of as a "one and done" type player so they should be around in 2020.

https://oregon.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2019

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I will not bash Eugene. I appreciate what he did for RU but was disappointed that he left us high and dry. I think we will be fine and want to root for the guys that are 100 % for RU. I hope this season goes very well for our team.
Ok? You won't bash him but he'll bash your team. Stand up for yourself and have some team pride.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Why? If he is going to talk he needs to start backing it up. Needs to show up on the defensive end AND can't be a 35% FG shooter against good competition.
What does that have to do with him leaving. Just think your heading in the wrong direction.

You don't know what the team dynamic was. You don't know if he had the proper respect from the team. I am guessing not.

I am angry he is gone. I thought this had the chance to be the year. I thought coming in to the year this was our peak year and next year would be tough because he would have graduated.

It is convenient to blame 100% Eugene for him leaving. I can't help thinking players on current roster have some blame.

Bottom line time for the leaders to step up and compete hard on the defensive end.
Good plot line for another High School Musical.

Moving on ....

He gets to be a good practice player for two years. Tune up the 2019 guys next year.

It’s obvious he is team leader. Why the need to respond on social media? Let it go and let your actions on the court speak for themselves.

I mean, it's 2019 and Baker is 20 years old. Social media is how kids that age respond to stuff. I think it's perfectly appropriate for the LEADER on our team to make a post like that to rally his team.

Also, who's to say Geo and the whole team HAVEN'T "let it go"? Geo was simply addressing EO's comments that were posted on this site yesterday. He said his piece and likely WILL "let it go." It's not like Geo's post was out of left field -- he was responding to EO's comments.

Addition by subtraction....and EO wasn't going to start this year and was recruited over here by Harper and Yeboah.

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Eugene absolutely would have started this year and would have been one of the team leaders in scoring, rebounding, and defense again.

Nor was he recruited over by Harper and Yeboah. Harper was recruited as a 2/3, and Yeboah was insurance for Eugene and Doucoure.

We can be pleased with the development of our current players, and Pike's ability to backfill, without making outlandish statements about the guy that left.

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Eugene absolutely would have started this year and would have been one of the team leaders in scoring, rebounding, and defense again.

Nor was he recruited over by Harper and Yeboah. Harper was recruited as a 2/3, and Yeboah was insurance for Eugene and Doucoure.

We can be pleased with the development of our current players, and Pike's ability to backfill, without making outlandish statements about the guy that left.

You've never even seen Yeboah play.

Why would we need "insurance" for Eugene?

Pike upgraded the roster, Eugene thought he was the guy when he wasn't, and moved on. So did Rutgers, by getting Yeboah.

Reactions: RU at the shore

Obligatory reminder that Hawk had Eugene down for 6 points and 6 rebounds last year.

Reactions: Degaz-RU

+1

(imo) It's ok to say Eugene was an important piece for the Rutgers basketball team. It is also ok to view him as replaceable. And I hold both positions. I don't view them as mutually exclusive.

Eugene averaged 12.4/6.8 in conference games (both numbers led our team and include a 4 minute 0/0 line in the game he got hurt). He was chosen Honorable Mention All-B1G. He wasn't a stiff.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
The sequel to Garbo talks. Good luck Eugene. You bailedl like Jonah Jackson did. Do I blame you ? Nope ..I hope you do well out there.

Obligatory reminder that Hawk had Eugene down for 6 points and 6 rebounds last year.
Honestly wouldve been for the best if that was his stat line. When eugene went “me ball” to get his we were awful.

Wanna hear a crazy stats? We won 7 big ten games last year, 4 of those wins eugene scored 11 points or less. In fact when eugene scored 11 points or less vs big ten teams we were 5-3.

When eugene scored more than 11 points? We were 2-8 vs big ten teams.

Just saw this thread, I already posted on this subject in the round table. I think most of Eugene's comments are unadulterated B.S. and no, I don't think we are better off without him and I really am sorry he left.

IMHO, to understand what happened you just have to look at the timing and circumstances of his departure. As I understood the story last spring, there was no indication that Eugene was looking to transfer, then he made a bizarre late night announcement. What happened right before that? It became official that Yeboah was coming on board. That's it. The truth is staring everybody in the face. He can say whatever he wants, but the simplest explanation is usually right. We added Yeboah and Euguene bolted.

Maybe he felt disrespected, maybe he wasn't looking forward to some additional competition his senior year, I don't know. But to seriously entertain the idea that he suddenly decided at that late date to transfer in the manner he did just because he wanted to go to the NCAA tournament is silly. Now, once he made what appears to have been a rash decision to go the Benedict Arnold route, I'm sure he picked a school that he thought had a good chance to go the tournament. Fine. But for him to say he was looking for teammates with a competitive edge like him is self-serving and insulting.

He can try to spin it any way he wants, but when the going got tough, he got going - out the door.

Just saw this thread, I already posted on this subject in the round table. I think most of Eugene's comments are unadulterated B.S. and no, I don't think we are better off without him and I really am sorry he left.

IMHO, to understand what happened you just have to look at the timing and circumstances of his departure. As I understood the story last spring, there was no indication that Eugene was looking to transfer, then he made a bizarre late night announcement. What happened right before that? It became official that Yeboah was coming on board. That's it. The truth is staring everybody in the face. He can say whatever he wants, but the simplest explanation is usually right. We added Yeboah and Euguene bolted.

Maybe he felt disrespected, maybe he wasn't looking forward to some additional competition his senior year, I don't know. But to seriously entertain the idea that he suddenly decided at that late date to transfer in the manner he did just because he wanted to go to the NCAA tournament is silly. Now, once he made what appears to have been a rash decision to go the Benedict Arnold route, I'm sure he picked a school that he thought had a good chance to go the tournament. Fine. But for him to say he was looking for teammates with a competitive edge like him is self-serving and insulting.

He can try to spin it any way he wants, but when the going got tough, he got going - out the door.

He obviously saw the writing on the wall. Pike specifically went out and got a known commodity he had a relationship with at the exact position Eugene plays.

Eugene then left immediately. He saw what anyone with two eyes could see. He was recruited over.

Not saying he wouldn't get time or been a contributor, but EO isn't the guy. He's a piece on a good team. He will learn this very quickly at Oregon. And that's best case scenario.

Honestly wouldve been for the best if that was his stat line. When eugene went “me ball” to get his we were awful.

Wanna hear a crazy stats? We won 7 big ten games last year, 4 of those wins eugene scored 11 points or less. In fact when eugene scored 11 points or less vs big ten teams we were 5-3.

You can flip that argument though. A lot of times when he resorted to hero ball it was because everybody else was underperforming. There were games where everybody else was throwing up bricks other than him.

For the record, I think it is incredible weak sauce that he decided to transfer. Just a dumb move on his part and I’m not even saying that for selfish reasons as a RU fan. He’s doing himself a disservice by going somewhere where he will be an after thought. Life after basketball is loooong and I don’t think it is a bright idea to burn bridges at a place you would otherwise be revered. Very immature.

He obviously saw the writing on the wall. Pike specifically went out and got a known commodity he had a relationship with at the exact position Eugene plays.

Eugene then left immediately. He saw what anyone with two eyes could see. He was recruited over.

Not saying he wouldn't get time or been a contributor, but EO isn't the guy. He's a piece on a good team. He will learn this very quickly at Oregon. And that's best case scenario.

I don't know Cali, I don't think he was recruited OVER exactly. I believe PIke thought there would be significant roles for both of them and that together they could make the team better. I do suspect that Eugene was not thrilled by that development, for whatever reason.

Pretty sure I posted something like that in the transfer thread back in May or whenever. We can still separate out the way he left (bad) from the player he was (good). Nebraska would've beaten us by 30 in the tournament if not for him. Wouldn't have had a chance to win against Penn State without him. etc

Some harsh comments about EO. He played hard and was very good on the defensive end. I did not like his post up offensive game even thought it was successful at times because many times it left 4 people standing around while he pounded the rock. He also returned more quickly from injuries and played hurt presumably to help the team. His development over his three years was noteworthy and you might have thought would have earned Pike a little more loyalty for the staff's role in bringing him along.

It is still not entirely clear to me what his plan was for this season had he remained here. Was he contemplating a medical RS year to rehab his knee? If that was the case than Yeboah would not have mattered as a grad transfer. If he intended to play and was offended by Yeboah, then perhaps better that he left.

Honestly I never saw his game translating at the pro level. Maybe overseas but certainly not the NBA. There will be nights where I will wish he was still here but I think we will be OK without him going forward.

Reactions: mikeylew1992
Love what geo said...

Ive been saying for a long time that it is going to take a leader (or two) to keep whatever team gets us over the hump and to the dance because there will be so much pressure to get over the hump when we can taste it. Need a leader to keep everyone hungry and humble, locked and focused in

If you can’t appreciate that geo isn’t willing to do the heavy lifting to get us there ...and take the pressure...when “the other captain” ran for the easier road, then that’s your perogative

When you have never been there before ...you need the speak up leaders like Eric foster ...and the determined do it right leaders like Brian Leonard...to keep the unit within together

I’m all in on Geo being the captain of the team that returns Rutgers to the NCAA tournament ....all in

there is a serious break from reality here. People’s disappointment with Eugene’s leaving is clouding what type of player he was here.

We had our best year here in many many years last year. It was clear as day who the best player on the team was last year.

I hope I am wrong, but if I am right about how this season goes there will be a lot of people who talk about how good Doorson was and now we missed him.

Reactions: bac2therac
SS,

It is my educated guess that the team didn’t like Eugene and Eugene didn’t like the team. Just a guess. If in fact Baker and Harper led Eugene to leave then It is a problem and they, in my eyes, better step up.

Again just a guess. I can totally see how Eugene would rub people the wrong way. I always thought Eugene led by actions on court but he wasn’t captain material. I thought Eugene was an a$$ the way he dealt with a teammate (forgot who) when he put him in a head lock. Not many agreed. If my analysis is any part right Baker and Harper are true leaders if they make things work despite their and the teams feeling for Eugene.

Was there any "friction" between Eugene and the young guys (Geo; Harper; Montez) etc? No inside info but I can sense this is a possibility and the locker room / ball on the court was now belonging to the young bucks. It could have been heat of the battle moments - but I recall seeing Montez and Eugene argue several times on the court.
Regardless we will miss him and hopefully we have the defensive / rebounding prowess to compensate for his defection.

Reactions: bac2therac
Was there any "friction" between Eugene and the young guys (Geo; Harper; Montez) etc? No inside info but I can sense this is a possibility and the locker room / ball on the court was now belonging to the young bucks. It could have been heat of the battle moments - but I recall seeing Montez and Eugene argue several times on the court.
Regardless we will miss him and hopefully we have the defensive / rebounding prowess to compensate for his defection.

I see it exactly this way.

If your coach is saying EO is one of his best players, and using him in a way that many here feel was inefficient, and went to Canada to try and convince him to stay....

Why are people saying we are better off without EO? Believing that is saying you think Pike has mishandled this roster in a pretty big way.

If your coach is saying EO is one of his best players, and using him in a way that many here feel was inefficient, and went to Canada to try and convince him to stay....

Why are people saying we are better off without EO? Believing that is saying you think Pike has mishandled this roster in a pretty big way.
Has a coach, namely Pike, ever said that a certain player hurt the team or was one of the worst players on the team? Bad argument

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT