ADVERTISEMENT

Football Every throw from Gavin Wimsatt versus Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl

Every incomplete pass, and several completions, were to receivers that were very tightly covered (in several cases double or triple teamed). All but two passes were catchable (the deep ball to a double-covered WR and the screen that was triple covered being the exceptions).

Put a Sanu or Carroo in at WR and at least a few of the incomplete passes would‘ve been completions.

GW has consistency problems for sure. But he can make all the passes, has a very strong arm, has fantastic command of the offense, using the clock like a pro.

Get him a few great WRs, capable of reliably getting separation, and a bit more consistent pass protection, and he’d be just fine and maybe even good. And he just keeps getting visibly better even without those things.

Consistency is the one thing that he really has to fix, cutting out the misfires on easy throws. I bet he does that - his short pass to an open Dremel behind the line was perfect… and that was the sort of pass he was missing earlier in the season.

Every incomplete pass, and several completions, were to receivers that were very tightly covered (in several cases double or triple teamed). All but two passes were catchable (the deep ball to a double-covered WR and the screen that was triple covered being the exceptions).

Put a Sanu or Carroo in at WR and at least a few of the incomplete passes would‘ve been completions.

GW has consistency problems for sure. But he can make all the passes, has a very strong arm, has fantastic command of the offense, using the clock like a pro.

Get him a few great WRs, capable of reliably getting separation, and a bit more consistent pass protection, and he’d be just fine and maybe even good. And he just keeps getting visibly better even without those things.

Consistency is the one thing that he really has to fix, cutting out the misfires on easy throws. I bet he does that - his short pass to an open Dremel behind the line was perfect… and that was the sort of pass he was missing earlier in the season.
He had one bad miss that was high. Other than that, can’t fault him on the rest. The two misses you mentioned were good throw aways.

Stat line says 7-15 for 84 yards but I only saw 14 throws in video.

Passes 1/2/3/5/6/7/12 are good throws and completed.
Pass #4 is high.- bad throw.
Pass 8- good throw. A little low but catchable.
Pass 9 good throw. catchable but dropped.
Pass 10- thrown away to Sam Brown. Good coverage. Didn’t force it.
Pass 11- overthrow deep ball- into double coverage. Stepped up into pocket and the throw where it needed to be.
Pass 13- late and behind receiver. bad throw.
Pass 14- pressured and had to throw quickly- pass deflected. Good defensive play.

Summary - 2 bad passes and both were incomplete.
Some good D by Miami DBs.
7 good completions with 2-3 potential completions with better WRs.

Better WR play and an actual TE to exploit the middle of the field and the stats would look better.

He had one bad miss that was high. Other than that, can’t fault him on the rest. The two misses you mentioned were good throw aways.
Yep, and even that bad one was to a receiver that was very tightly covered. Could’ve been a completion if the pass was perfect. But even slightly off and it would’ve been at risk of an INT.

If the receiver was Carroo, GW would’ve known he could just float it out in front of him and that Carroo would’ve beat anybody in the area to it. We don’t have a receiver like that at the moment, that fights for and wins the ball almost every time.

Dremel is doing great, but he’s not that guy, not yet at least.

I’m not sure the Minnesota kid is coming because GW won’t be easy to beat.
If the kid is truly confident, then he would come anyway ‘’cause he will feel he can rise to the challenge and win the position. Which would be great.

But I agree, despite the popular sentiment amongst our fanbase that GW sucks, that he’s just a bit of consistency from being pretty good, and will be very hard to beat for anybody we can get to come here.

If the kid is truly confident, then he would come anyway ‘’cause he will feel he can rise to the challenge and win the position. Which would be great.

But I agree, despite the popular sentiment amongst our fanbase that GW sucks, that he’s just a bit of consistency from being pretty good, and will be very hard to beat for anybody we can get to come here.
I thought someone said his father is heavily involved. He might tell his son to pick a clear path to playing time with good supporting cast.

Reactions: Zimm80
Watching Bo running free last night reminded me what we are missing. I do think our current WRs have really good hands.

I thought someone said his father is heavily involved. He might tell his son to pick a clear path to playing time with good supporting cast.
I would imagine a good coach could review the situation, a somewhat tough to beat GW, a decent but not great OL, and a relatively weak WR room, and tell him to try to find an easier situation out there.

But the type of players who would have any interest in us might not have a ton of options, we might be the best of the bunch for them.

I would imagine a good coach could review the situation, a somewhat tough to beat GW, a decent but not great OL, and a relatively weak WR room, and tell him to try to find an easier situation out there.

But the type of players who would have any interest in us might not have a ton of options, we might be the best of the bunch for them.
On paper, it looks like a good situation. Plus the history with the OC.

This is a coaching issue.
Only 1 play had pre-snap movement - Dremel running behind Wimsatt.

There are ways to get WRs open.
Every good offense uses presnap motion to their advantage.

It's easier to cover WRs when they aren't moving and the defense can get set pre-snap.

It's easier to cover WRs when they aren't moving and the defense can get set pre-snap.
this will be an underrated post

Reactions: RUDivision
I’m watching these bowl games and almost every team has a WR that makes the QB look good.
Liberty has a WR making diving catches and running great routes to get open. RU lacks that in a WR. Currently all WRs on the roster are possession receivers. There is a lack of A true #1 B1G style WR.

Reactions: ashokan
I’m not sure the Minnesota kid is coming because GW won’t be easy to beat.
This is not a knock on anyone, but some questions to wonder/speculate about.

Are Greg and Kirk ONLY going after (or at least asked him to visit) Athan K?

Have they gone after any of higher profile QBs?

If not, is it because the bidding price is too high for what they have or what they are willing to spend?

Have the higher profile QBs in the portal passed on Rutgers because of what they see on tape in terms of the receiving corps compared to other teams that have offered.

Again, not knocks on anyone, just questions about what may be some of the portal realities.

What/where is that path though?

Take EJ Warner, for example. One might think given his body of work with a bad OL and not great receiver talent he was a better get than Athan K? But he wound up at Rice. There are still a lot of higher quality QBs in the portal with a larger and better body of work. Athan cannot be too picky.

Wonder if Temple picks up a second QB to challenge/backup Evan Simon?

@kupuna133 mentioned a variant on this in one of the bowl threads. Better play designs.

Liberty’s QB would be better if he was forced to throw lefty.

He’s a good kid , part of the Rutgers family forever ,he’s NOT a playmaker at QB.

You may travel to more games or donate more , you could well be equal ,but no one gets more emotionally invested for 3-4 hours on Saturdays in the fall then me .

First play of OSU Jackson had 5 yards on his guy , pass not even close
next drive of game Dremel had 15 yards on his man , I guess a rouge hurricane force wind hit stadium as he released ball. One the worst passes ever attempted DB is 5-10 behind Dremel as well as 5-7 yards to the left 30 sec mark of the OSU every throw video.

HE IS NOT a playmaker , just a “don’t mess it upper “

Last edited:
I’m watching these bowl games and almost every team has a WR that makes the QB look good.
Liberty has a WR making diving catches and running great routes to get open. RU lacks that in a WR. Currently all WRs on the roster are possession receivers. There is a lack of A true #1 B1G style WR.
that is your takeaway? wow

pretty sure most people see qb making throws, moving around the pocket and creating something when it breaks down and of course, some accurate throws. QB has to get the ball to the receiver first

Reactions: nutfromSEC117
One of the glaring problems RU has had for many years now is we have no TE that can move the chains, and that’s a recruiting problem only GS can solve , imagine instead of throwing the ball away multiple times a game being able dump the ball off to a safety valve that has hands & can get open sliding off his blocks . I’ve noticed that many of our TE recruits over the years are way under weight size wise, Clark Harris was a very good TE.

Reactions: rutgersal
One of the glaring problems RU has had for many years now is we have no TE that can move the chains, and that’s a recruiting problem only GS can solve , imagine instead of throwing the ball away multiple times a game being able dump the ball off to a safety valve that has hands & can get open sliding off his blocks . I’ve noticed that many of our TE recruits over the years are way under weight size wise, Clark Harris was a very good TE.
not fair to say that as we dont' utilize a TE in this offense. When we did, we have positive yards

Dremel. But defenses tend to put two guys on him.

-It’s Lack of coaching and offensive game plans.
-It’s a Coaching Philosophy and offense that NO talented Wr, TE, or QB wants to play in.
-It’s a QB with all of the talents but very inaccurate and struggles to see the whole field. Just proving he’s not be a starting QB on a power 5 team.
-It’s undersized, young, and talented players trying their best but need more time.

Liberty’s QB would be better if he was forced to throw lefty.

He’s a good kid , part of the Rutgers family forever ,he’s NOT a playmaker at QB.

You may travel to more games or donate more , you could well be equal ,but no one gets more emotionally invested for 3-4 hours on Saturdays in the fall then me .

First play of OSU Jackson had 5 yards on his guy , pass not even close
next drive of game Dremel had 15 yards on his man , I guess a rouge hurricane force wind hit stadium as he released ball. One the worst passes ever attempted DB is 5-10 behind Dremel as well as 5-7 yards to the left 30 sec mark of the OSU every throw video.

HE IS NOT a playmaker , just a “don’t mess it upper “
The pass he missed to Dremel, he was hit as he threw the ball and couldn’t follow through. First play you are referring to looked like tight coverage.

I keep saying RU has "possession" WRs with no strong downfield WR who can jump and make contested catches. With Gavin's habit of high-chuck throws RU needs a mugger at WR. I was watching a rerun of Oregon v Washington last night and a Wash WR (Ja'LynnPolk) going long made an amazing, twisting snag between 2 DBs. Announcers said it was his 24th contested catch of the season. RU doesn't have that feature

At New England, Welker and Edelman were great at finding the soft spots in the intermediate zones but not great long. Gronkowski was best going long. Welker had 34 TDs with Brady and Edelman had 36 - Gronk had 90 TDs. Gronk going deep won a lot of games for NE. Even without a catch, Gronk going deep was a pain for defenses. RU doesn't have anything like that yet. You get little scoop and scoots and hope WR doesn't trip

Cmon cmon cmon

He over threw Dremel by ten yards
He got the ball off

If he was effected by the hit the throw would be short

My only agenda is 9-3 or better.

I DONT UNDERSTAND the blind faith fan boy stuff

EDIT. The Jackson play

Section 117 view… Jackson had him beat (before TV view switched) and crap under throw let DB catch up

Cmon cmon cmon

He over threw Dremel by ten yards
He got the ball off

If he was effected by the hit the throw would be short

My only agenda is 9-3 or better.

I DONT UNDERSTAND the blind faith fan boy stuff

EDIT. The Jackson play

Section 117 view… Jackson had him beat (before TV view switched) and crap under throw let DB catch up
That throw was 45 yds. He was covered. Sorry. I’m going by the video evidence you presented. If you want 9+ wins, stroke the check. If we can got DJU instead of FSU, we are a 10 win team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT