ADVERTISEMENT

Exotic Zones! Jacob Young at Point! Line-Up Experiements! Carino and OTB on the Spain Trip

Aaron makes a good point about adjusting to the new three point line, while Jerry thinks Ron Harper could break out.

Aaron makes a good point about adjusting to the new three point line, while Jerry thinks Ron Harper could break out.
If you look where most college players attempted 3-point shots it was already behind the new distance. Most of these kids think they can make an NBA three-point shot.

Most coaches, I have spoken with, agree that the biggest adjustment players are going to have to make his on corner threes. They now have less room between the three-point line and the sidelines so their footwork is going to have to be very good. I've seen guys step out of bounds as they get into their shot.

If you look where most college players attempted 3-point shots it was already behind the new distance. Most of these kids think they can make an NBA three-point shot.

Most coaches, I have spoken with, agree that the biggest adjustment players are going to have to make his on corner threes. They now have less room between the three-point line and the sidelines so their footwork is going to have to be very good. I've seen guys step out of bounds as they get into their shot.

Yes, which is why this little stretch of real game play will give RU a bit of a leg up going into October practice.

Yes, which is why this little stretch of real game play will give RU a bit of a leg up going into October practice.
It doesn't hurt but it's not going to be a game changer. Everybody's been practicing with the new line this off seasons, yes I know it's not game conditions, and so many teams are taking foreign trips I've lost count.

Also I think practice starts in September. NCAA moved up to date. That October 15 date is no longer the official start of practice.

It doesn't hurt but it's not going to be a game changer. Everybody's been practicing with the new line this off seasons, yes I know it's not game conditions, and so many teams are taking foreign trips I've lost count.

Also I think practice starts in September. NCAA moved up to date. That October 15 date is no longer the official start of practice.

That's why I said "little stretch" and a "bit." I didn't say game changer. It's hasn't been October 15th for years, but it's something like 40 some odd days before the first game. It's end of September/early October. Most of the practices take place in October. You're being a bit nitpicky here, but I do like when you post.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not a game changer, but playing against teams that are used to that line (both from a shooting and defending perspective) in a live environment just gives extra reps, which are always good.

Jacob Young at PG is interesting. He was all off-ball at Texas but he brings an athleticism to the position that's needed. Sanders flashed those skills as a freshman (nearly 30% assist rate) but that went down as it became apparent over the next two years that nobody else could put the ball in the bucket. If he can give us something like what Ayo Dosunmu gave Illinois last year and plays good defense then that's huge. And yes I know Dosunmu is going to be a 1st round pick, I'm not comparing Young to him on that front. Ayo has at least three inches on him and so far has demonstrated a better jump spot. I'm talking purely production: 20% assist rate, near-50% on two pointers, 35% on three pointers.

Young, Baker, McConnell, Harper Jr, Shaq/Myles could be a force t be reckoned with.

Not sure about anything, but that gives Rutgers four shooters.

Reactions: Scangg
As a realist, or pessimist to most :WideSmile:, when I hear exotic zones my 1st thought is defensive rebounding!

I do like the fact that our coaching staff appears very willing to change the way we may play based on the strength and weaknesses of the roster. You'd think this is a given, but often times in sports it is not.

Unlike what article posted, I am not worried about who is backing up Johnson. I have seen film of Carter and he is about his health and his handle is much improved.

Zones will protect freshman defenders like Mulcahy, Kiss, etc.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
That's why I said "little stretch" and a "bit." I didn't say game changer. It's hasn't been October 15th for years, but it's something like 40 some odd days before the first game. It's end of September/early October. Most of the practices take place in October. You're being a bit nitpicky here, but I do like when you post.
The foreign tour definitely won't hurt.

Reactions: dpwhite
In the Carino article there is nothing written about Mamado Doucore I am hoping the redshirt year will have helped and he can be a contributor because we are a little thin up front

I am not concerned or excited about the Spain trip. It's not televised or offers any reference point on the upcoming season.

I wouldn't put any emphasis on the results or stats either way. The steps forward come from landing solid, long term recruits that can supplement the freshman landed last year and Mulcahy this year.

If there was one thing to look for, in my opinion, it would be Shaq Carter and Montez Mathis. Both haven't scratched the surface on what they can do defensively and the ability to get baskets at the basket.

I think the benefits to the trip are largely intangible, and not something that we'll be able to readily see from box scores or highlights:

1. The ability for Pike to try new things and get a feel for this group against real competition. How do Mulcahy, Yeboah, and Young fit into the puzzle - what are some of the things he can do now that he couldn't do before, and vice versa.

2. Four pressure-free games of live reps for Mulcahy to get his feet wet before seeing college-level competition.

3. Overall chemistry and team bonding.

Didn’t Bob Wenzel take the team to Europe and we made the tourney that year? Has to help!

History repeats itself!
He went to Hawaii for the holiday festival during Christmas I recall? We didn’t fair that well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT