ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Showcase MVP & All-First Team - Mulcahy

Can he defend at this level?
Can he knock down open shots?

The answer to these 2 questions will determine how important he will ultimately be to this program.

He's going to be a very important player for us, which will allow some of our other guys (gio, Mathis, Kiss, and Jacob Young) much easier chances to score. Paul is a playmaker who makes everyone better on the court. You can't teach the court vision he has. I think we are going to see some crazy lineups, since we will be very deep at guard when he is a frosh and sophomore. Think about it, at the 1, 2, and 3 spots we have Mulchahey, Gio, jacob young (who supposedly is a really good scorer and quickest player on team), Kiss, Mathis, and McConnel. That is a deep and versatile group that you can do a lot of things with. I'm hoping Harper develops at the 4 so we can have a stretch 4 for someone to replace Eugene when he is gone. I think we still need to add some talent up front but if Harper can develop at the 4, our offense could be deadly.
I’ve been thinking the same. Only problem with a three guard plus Harper and a center starting lineup is that it’s pretty small. Guards outside of Young have good height so that will help, but it will be small ball for sure.

I’ve been thinking the same. Only problem with a three guard plus Harper and a center starting lineup is that it’s pretty small. Guards outside of Young have good height so that will help, but it will be small ball for sure.
Yea, i think all of our guards plus Harper have good height..We could pose a lot of matchup problems on offense. The key will be despite the height, can these guys guard anyone who is physical and or can play inside.

Can he defend at this level?
Can he knock down open shots?

The answer to these 2 questions will determine how important he will ultimately be to this program.

Big unknowns. This is why we need to wait and see....especially, about the defense.

You don’t play for Pike if you’re not willing to work hard on the defensive end. Paul will defend if it means PT.

"MVP: Paul Mulcahy – Gill St. Bernard’s

Paul Mulcahy left the Hoop Group Fall Showcase as the most valuable player. The Rutgers commit is as good of a leader as it comes. Not only does he lead by example with his play, but he is vocal with his teammates as well. His balance between scoring and getting his teammates involved was the best out of any prospect in attendance. He puts Gill St. Bernard’s in a great position to win the New Jersey Tournament of Champions."

http://www.hoopgroup.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34600&ATCLID=211777255

I just realized that there are eight guys on 1st team. I've never seen that before

That part was normal, but eight guys on the first team? That's unusual and for some reason I didn't notice that before.

The B1G had like 10 or 11 people on their preseason all-B1G team. Somebody needs to put a stop to this madness.

Reactions: Scangg
We are going to bring three (3) former four star/Rivals 150 kids off the bench. Been a while since Rutgers could say that. With one Senior we are probably a year away from being good, but I think we are going to be a pain in the ass to play.

We are going to bring three (3) former four star/Rivals 150 kids off the bench. Been a while since Rutgers could say that. With one Senior we are probably a year away from being good, but I think we are going to be a pain in the ass to play.
Four former four stars (Doucoure). He wasn’t listed in the “Top 150”, but that is nonsensical since they were a couple dozen three stars in the Top 150 in his class. He went to a normal enough high school, not like he was in some separate category. Why I don’t take these ratings too seriously.

Four former four stars (Doucoure). He wasn’t listed in the “Top 150”, but that is nonsensical since they were a couple dozen three stars in the Top 150 in his class. He went to a normal enough high school, not like he was in some separate category. Why I don’t take these ratings too seriously.

Mathis, Harper Jr. and Doucoure. Who is the 4th?

When is signing day for hoops? I don't follow hoops recruiting that closely, but is he 100% committed and solid to RU?

If a bigger program came calling would he be at risk of flipping?

I think he was talking about 2019-20: Mathis, Harper, Young, and Mulcahy with an assumed starting lineup of Baker, Kiss, Thiam, Omoruyi, Carter/Johnson. But it's way too early to speculate on 2019-20 lineups.

When is signing day for hoops? I don't follow hoops recruiting that closely, but is he 100% committed and solid to RU?

If a bigger program came calling would he be at risk of flipping?
Not saying that it can never happen, but basketball commits rarely flip once they choose.. Also, Paul is very pro rutgers as you can see by his tweets, and even rocks Rutgers shirts when he warms up before he plays

Reactions: Scangg
I kinda think you take the rankings seriously. Otherwise it probably wouldn't bother you that Doucoure wasn't ranked. The reason Doucoure was not in the Rivals150 for the class of 2017 is pretty simple actually.

He was ranked No. 115 in the class of 2018 but he reclassified into the class of 2017 in August...after we did our final ranking of the 2017 class. Had he reclassified before we did the final ranking like Andrew Nembhard and R.J. Barrett did (for example), he would have been ranked in the Rivals150 for the 2017 class.

Big boss man Eric Bossi would be the person to make the decision to go back and re-rank a class because someone reclassified months after we closed the books on a class.

Sorry got confused, you were clearly talking about this year. Since this thread is about Mulcahy, I was thinking next year and adding in Mulcahy. I think that next year, four former 4-stars will come off the bench, three of them with college playing experience. Mathis won’t start next year, I expect it to be Geo and Young.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Sorry got confused, you were clearly talking about this year. Since this thread is about Mulcahy, I was thinking next year and adding in Mulcahy. I think that next year, four former 4-stars will come off the bench, three of them with college playing experience. Mathis won’t start next year, I expect it to be Geo and Young.
It could be Geo/Young, Geo/Kiss, Geo/Mathis, or Mulcahy/Geo next year. Cannot remember when we've had this much depth. I was just looking back at the rosters for the last 20 years (ADHD and all that) and it's hard to find a year where you actually thought all the players on the roster had potential. Next years roster, adding Mulcahy and with Thiam/Eugene/Carter as seniors is the deepest we've had in so long its nuts.

I really think we've gotten to a point where the whole roster is legitimate for the Big Ten. Only problem is whether our "lead" guys are good enough to elevate that supporting cast in this league.

Reactions: zebnatto and Scangg
Can't say Mathis won't start next year. Way too early to predict that definitively. So many potential options it will be interesting to see how it plays out

Can't say Mathis won't start next year. Way too early to predict that definitively. So many potential options it will be interesting to see how it plays out
It’s not that Mathis won’t be ready. It’s that if Mathis starts, you are either making Geo starting point guard with both Young and Mulcahy on the bench, or Geo is not starting. Both unlikely. And we’re not starting three guards next year as both Issa and and Eugene will start as seniors.

Remember, it's about who finishes the game (last 8 minutes) not who starts.

Many times seniors will get the starting nod but they won't be on the floor during crunch time.

The real question is who will be five to end the game

It’s not that Mathis won’t be ready. It’s that if Mathis starts, you are either making Geo starting point guard with both Young and Mulcahy on the bench, or Geo is not starting. Both unlikely. And we’re not starting three guards next year as both Issa and and Eugene will start as seniors.
I'm high on all these players so it is a good problem but Mathis was our highest rated recruit in a while. It is certainly possible that he looks like a stud and could start over Young or Mulcahey. Might be an awesome 6th man too but it's just too early to tell since all of these guys are so talented.

Definitely don't think you can rule out starting 3 guards when guards will be the strength of the team next season. I would be shocked if we don't see a ton of 3 guard lineups actually

Reactions: ruready07
I'm high on all these players so it is a good problem but Mathis was our highest rated recruit in a while. It is certainly possible that he looks like a stud and could start over Young or Mulcahey. Might be an awesome 6th man too but it's just too early to tell since all of these guys are so talented.

Definitely don't think you can rule out starting 3 guards when guards will be the strength of the team next season. I would be shocked if we don't see a ton of 3 guard lineups actually
Actually, and not to split hairs, but Young was the #106 Rivals recruit in his class, Mathis was #108. Young has two years of major conference experience under his belt, but may be rusty after sitting out a year. We’ll see!

Actually, and not to split hairs, but Young was the #106 Rivals recruit in his class, Mathis was #108. Young has two years of major conference experience under his belt, but may be rusty after sitting out a year. We’ll see!
It's not like Young is going to sit around for a year. He's at practice every day and, I'm sure, getting up shots on his own time.

He does have the extra age and experience. I could also see Pike wanting to use Young as the leader and #1 scoring option on the second unit and an instant offense spark plugs change of pace off the bench. So many options for once!

He does have the extra age and experience. I could also see Pike wanting to use Young as the leader and #1 scoring option on the second unit and an instant offense spark plugs change of pace off the bench. So many options for once!
Yeah. I’ve been thinking Geo gets pushed off the ball no matter what next year. But thinking on it more, I now think it’s possible after all the point guard experience Geo will build up this year, that Pike likes what he sees and keeps him as the starting “point guard” next year. In that scenario, Mathis or Kiss could start, and Geo would only play off the ball with Young or Mulcahy in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT