ADVERTISEMENT

Fans in Stands Decision?

You are putting the cart before the horse.
1st Priority- Is it safe for college athletes, coaches, and staff to be on the field for games.
2nd - can we allow fans in the stands and if yes how many {% of capacity....25% example} and logistics of seat assignments/ spacing.
I agree. If answer to (1) is no, the point is moot. But if is isn't, then they must prepare NOW for any and all contingencies in (2).

Reactions: Greg2020
I would think that they would run out of seats too fast (if there was enough interest to go).....you would have approximately 3 empty seats between each person......From what I understand your group would stay together and the there would be 6 feet to the next group. Just like sitting at table for outside dining.
the issue with that is that many groups of season ticket holders are from different families/households. So using that process, you would have a decent amt of people not social distancing even if wearing masks. but if they're going that route they can always figure out who those groups are and work it out during the larger calculation process.

I'm confident in football this academic year.

There are 3 scenarios that I think could happen (ranked by my opinion of likelihood)

1 - Spring football
2 - Fall football, no fans in the stands
3 - Fall football, limited to season ticket holders in the stands. For teams that have large season ticket holder bases, a rotating schedule of groups of fans attending particular games. (i.e., Group A gets home game 1, 3, 5, 7...Group B gets home game 2, 4, 6)

I think I'd rather have lesser quality seats to all games than having my seat for only a select group. I guess if they did that particular game plan they'd have to rate the teams (like when doing the multi-game packages) and give someone 1 game from tier A one from tier B, etc. so some dont get all the 'good' games and some the 'bad' ones.

After today's presser by Murphy, using data from other states, to back his decision there is zero chance we will see Schiano and gang run out of the tunnel in person. All a long we have been told to stay the course and our sacrifice will be worth it. Now the data from other states is being used to shut us out. Complete crap.

Imagine if they banned tailgating? You park your car in a designated spot, put on your mask, and follow the prescribed path with social distancing right into the stadium and on to your seat? $$$$

How would they assign seating with groups clustered together? That would be a nightmare to manage.
Nobody knows who is part of which group, unless you are talking about the group of seats from each ticket account, which could be from 1 to a dozen or so people. Still sounds like a nightmare to manage seating assignments, with very few people being happy where they end up.

the issue with that is that many groups of season ticket holders are from different families/households. So using that process, you would have a decent amt of people not social distancing even if wearing masks. but if they're going that route they can always figure out who those groups are and work it out during the larger calculation process.

I hear what you guys are saying, I am just relaying what I heard when I renewed wrestling tickets and asked about my season football.....It would all be predicated on how many season ticket holders say yes if they decide to go with social distancing seating in place.

I think Murphy's postponement of indoor eating today is the handwriting on the wall that spells doom for fans attending games. They may or may not play the game, but it certainly doesn't look like the fans will be there. He is concerned with 'sedentary' activity, albeit indoors, but his decision was prompted by large outdoor gatherings over the weekend (like tailgating?)
If we all go to the game as peaceful protestors we can have as many fans as we want. We are all protesting Covid-19. Done deal.

Reactions: RU Golfer
After today's presser by Murphy, using data from other states, to back his decision there is zero chance we will see Schiano and gang run out of the tunnel in person. All a long we have been told to stay the course and our sacrifice will be worth it. Now the data from other states is being used to shut us out. Complete crap.

Didn't watch the presser, but doesn't data from other states suggest that opening too quickly leads to a surge. So not inapplicable.

Didn't watch the presser, but doesn't data from other states suggest that opening too quickly leads to a surge. So not inapplicable.
What?? This region has not opened too early!! We were being told to stay the course while others didn't! So because other states opened too early we have to pay for their mistakes? Please explain why Texas Florida mistakes etc has become our problem?

What?? This region has not opened too early!! We were being told to stay the course while others didn't! So because other states opened too early we have to pay for their mistakes? Please explain why Texas Florida mistakes etc has become our problem?
Unlike the southern states NJ is learning from the mistakes of others. Those other states opened up their indoor dining and bars and now they have been hit hard. NJ is being proactive so we dont fall back to where we were. Frankly if not for the stupidity, in the south, I think there would have been a 75% or greater chance of football come September. Now it is down to about 25% or less unless they reverse course and wear masks and social distance like the north did to get out of the Covid mess. Learn for those who went before you.

What's too early? And who gets to define it.

Didn't think my area really rushed it and now we're seeing a surge. I'd assume other govt, particularly ones that had to deal with some of the worst of it, are trying very hard to avoid what's going on in other states that opened and had a surge toward critical.

Again, what data from other states did he cite?

Unlike the southern states NJ is learning from the mistakes of others. Those other states opened up their indoor dining and bars and now they have been hit hard. NJ is being proactive so we dont fall back to where we were. Frankly if not for the stupidity, in the south, I think there would have been a 75% or greater chance of football come September. Now it is down to about 25% or less unless they reverse course and wear masks and social distance like the north did to get out of the Covid mess. Learn for those who went before you.
I agree with most of your post with one huge exception. Restaurants spent money to reopen and less than 72 hours before their opening they were told no dice. The number of places that will close for good because they took on extra debt will be mind numbing.

What's too early? And who gets to define it.

Didn't think my area really rushed it and now we're seeing a surge. I'd assume other govt, particularly ones that had to deal with some of the worst of it, are trying very hard to avoid what's going on in other states that opened and had a surge toward critical.

Again, what data from other states did he cite?
Huh?? Go watch his presser today.

Huh?? Go watch his presser today.

Don't live there, don't care enough to watch.

However, that's why I know he should proceed quite carefully and purposefully. Because I've watched the reopening/surge toward critical play out locally. Better for Murphy to learn from that and air on the side of caution then to dive aboard the same sinking ship, especially when you see photos of idiots that will never get it wearing no masks, huddled together like life is just back to pre 2020.

I have to agree with you. Listening to Murphy's press conference, I just don't see a football season happening this fall. There's too much uncertainty with this virus and a packed stadium just doesn't help prevent the spread. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong.

RU should start out a schedule with just the players, staff, parents and tv crews and maybe a small spread out crowd of 2-5k fans, then incrementally go up every home game 10% if the public health numbers are holding steady and the infection rates amongst team and staff remain low single digits.

All football programs will lose money this season but the P5 conferences will do well with just the tv money itself. Heck I even see the tv companies throwing more incentives ($$$$) at conferences and schools to hold games because tv audiences are starving for live sport content. Fox and ESPN can sweeten the pot to compensate for lost revenue from the gate, merchandise, etc if they only hold the games even without fans.

What college football fan would not tune in to watch a game even without crowds? Ratings will be bonkers.

Start the season without fans. Assure all protocols for the health and safety of players and staff are strictly adhered to. Hold early season games with little to no fans and slowly buildup crowds as the season progresses.

Best case scenario at this point is that games are played and it’s televised with no crowds. That’s my expectation for game one.

GO RU

Reactions: Plum Street
Don't live there, don't care enough to watch.

However, that's why I know he should proceed quite carefully and purposefully. Because I've watched the reopening/surge toward critical play out locally. Better for Murphy to learn from that and air on the side of caution then to dive aboard the same sinking ship, especially when you see photos of idiots that will never get it wearing no masks, huddled together like life is just back to pre 2020.
So you don't watch, don't live here. Through all of the BS here you have a better opinion of all us that do? Please stop. With those two admissions your opinion means zero to all of us that do. You are just a troll.

So you don't watch, don't live here. Through all of the BS here you have a better opinion of all us that do? Please stop. With those two admissions your opinion means zero to all of us that do. You are just a troll.

And you're an angry drunk who types incomprehensible gibberish. Leave the politics out of it next time, sudsy. Had nothing to do with the topic, which was RU football.

And you're an angry drunk who types incomprehensible gibberish. Leave the politics out of it next time, sudsy. Had nothing to do with the topic, which was RU football.
It is about football. Rutgers Football and it's fans who pay a lot of money to actually attend games! Go away troll.

Reactions: bac2therac
SEC will play with fans. PAC 12 no fans. Big Ten will be 50% capacity or something like that. Murphy May make RU play with 25% though or something like that

The CFL was to begin last week but is on hold indefinitely.
Players want answers and aren’t getting anything.
One thought was to play games in Hub Cities only ...in low COVID areas which would eliminate cities like Toronto and Montreal.

I agree with most of your post with one huge exception. Restaurants spent money to reopen and less than 72 hours before their opening they were told no dice. The number of places that will close for good because they took on extra debt will be mind numbing.

I don't think they should be open inside, but this was mishandled very poorly. When you rely on guidance and then get the shaft it's hard to swallow. You are correct that many businesses will likely be the final death blow. It is a stark reminder of how much debt and small margins these businesses run on.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Imagine if they banned tailgating? You park your car in a designated spot, put on your mask, and follow the prescribed path with social distancing right into the stadium and on to your seat? $$$$
they don’t have to ban tailgating because there will be no fans. No fans = no tailgating. Pretty simple. There Won’t be fans in seats until a vaccine

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT