ADVERTISEMENT

FedEx Commits $25M to Memphis NIL

What is Memphis conference distribution?

Funny the “how can most schools compete with this?” wasn’t asked after the Big Ten/SEC media contracts were signed or the new playoff distribution was agreed upon.
It was and is being discussed. It's one of the driving forces by those left out of the BigTen / SEC windfall media rights distributions and are promoting the 80 super regional conference proposal.

Last edited:
It was and is being discussed. It's one of the driving forces by those left out of the BigTen / SEC windfall media rights distributions and are promoting the 80 super regional conference proposal.

Discussed by who? Certainly not any Big Ten/SEC schools or fans.
Reportedly they didn't even attend the discussions.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-proposal-for-80-school-football-super-league.275997/

Are you saying you would be fine sharing money (i.e. Rutgers gets less to prop up Memphis, Syracuse, Temple) so it's all more "equal"?
Can't complain about NIL being "unequal" and ignore the rest of the money teams receive.

Or do you only care about NIL be equal but the rest still unequal?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Discussed by who? Certainly not any Big Ten/SEC schools or fans.
Reportedly they didn't even attend the discussions.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-proposal-for-80-school-football-super-league.275997/

Are you saying you would be fine sharing money (i.e. Rutgers gets less to prop up Memphis, Syracuse, Temple) so it's all more "equal"?
Can't complain about NIL being "unequal" and ignore the rest of the money teams receive.

Or do you only care about NIL be equal but the rest still unequal?
"Discussed by who?" - you answered you own question by referencing a multi-page thread on this very board. In addition, you must have missed the hundreds of articles country-wide and sports broadcasts discussing this very issue. I suggest you google them to become further enlightened.

A more equitable allocation of media right funds would still leave the question of disparity in NIL funds available to buy players. Are you ok with that assuming all else is even?

Last edited:
"Discussed by who?" - you answered you own question by referencing a multi-page thread on this very board. In addition, you must have missed the thousands of articles country-wide and sports broadcasts discussing this very issue. I suggest you google them to become further enlightened.

A more equitable allocation of media right funds would still leave the question of disparity in NIL funds available to buy players. Are you ok with that assuming all else is even?

Nope. I'm fine with it all being uneven.
Media revenue, direct AD donations, NIL.
Note - this heavily influenced by us being a "have". If we were still in the AAC, I'm sure my personal feelings would be different.

I could easily see an argument for it all be pooled and an equitable distribution.
Fully recognize that Rutgers receiving nearly $100m in conference distribution while others receives less than $9 (like Memphis) isn't fair at all for College athletics.

'Fedex is a public company so this could be challenged

Agree. While Memphis fans might like this, I imagine it might not be popular from the rest of the shareholder base - especially if at some point the stock takes a steady downward trend.

Agree. While Memphis fans might like this, I imagine it might not be popular from the rest of the shareholder base - especially if at some point the stock takes a steady downward trend.
it's not a charity and it can't be spun as marketing etc.. I'd challenge it

It's over 5 years. I don't see it much different than naming rights. What do SHI or Jersey Mike's shareholders think?

Naming rights is essentially marketing/advertising. Not sure how they would characterize this expense on the Fedex books and get away with it.....unless they required some type of service (i.e. advertisements) from the players getting NIL

This is the future of college athletics
Big time corporations donating large sums of money for NIL

Hoping we can land one of these deals soon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT