ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caitlin Clark is the NIL champ

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
Axios reports that: "Caitlin Clark is now the top-selling athlete in college sports' NIL era . . . Fans scooped up troves of Clark-branded merchandise after she broke the NCAA women's scoring record. She sold more merch in the 24 hours after that game than any other college athlete ever has."

Perhaps I should have posted this on the women's basketball board, but there is so much interest in NIL that I thought it was better to post it here.

It’s funny, my soon to be nine-year-old daughter was asking me why Caitlin Clark doesn’t get nearly the publicity that T Swift gets (in sports related circles) when Clark is the one doing all the work and setting records and swift is there merely as bystander

I saw a tweet that the B10 WBB tourney is completely sold out for the first time ever. I’m guessing that’s in part due to CC.

Clark and Olivia Dunne are what NIL should be. They are being paid for advertisement work on tv and social media not by a bunch of boosters trying to buy wins. Good for them.

I would slightly disagree on Dunne.
If she was never on LSU, she likely has the same huge following.

Her popularity is mostly independent from her collegiate endeavors.

Clark and Olivia Dunne are what NIL should be. They are being paid for advertisement work on tv and social media not by a bunch of boosters trying to buy wins. Good for them.

True NIL… exactly

You guys have the right to become women’s hoops fans if you feel so strongly that NIL is used poorly in the men’s game and is “true” in the womens game.

Reactions: RUMAGA and cshelley
The NIL is a controversial subject, I'm glad to see how Caitlin and Olivia have been able to show it can be used in a way to put it in a positive light.

It’s funny, my soon to be nine-year-old daughter was asking me why Caitlin Clark doesn’t get nearly the publicity that T Swift gets (in sports related circles) when Clark is the one doing all the work and setting records and swift is there merely as bystander
You can’t compare a women’s BB player with a world renown pop star. It’s not even comparable. Additionally, to suggest that Swift “doesn’t work” and Clark “works” is kind of ridiculous. Swift is not a “bystander”.Im not a big fan of Swift, but to try to compare both is sort of silly.

You can’t compare a women’s BB player with a world renown pop star. It’s not even comparable. Additionally, to suggest that Swift “doesn’t work” and Clark “works” is kind of ridiculous. Swift is not a “bystander”.Im not a big fan of Swift, but to try to compare both is sort of silly.
Of course; but it's funny that his daughter is so sports-oriented that she thinks of Taylor Swift only in terms of being a spectator at Travis Kelce's games.

Reactions: cyrock3
Re-read my comment before waxing poetic

I said in a sports related theme
Not concerts or music, which Swifts talent is undeniable

We’re talking strictly about sports, in which Swift couldn’t hold Clark’s jock

Of course; but it's funny that his daughter is so sports-oriented that she thinks of Taylor Swift only in terms of being a spectator at Travis Kelce's games.
Actually she likes Swifts music
But in a sports related situation, she (along with a host of othets) doesn’t get why Swift is mentioned along w Clark, AC one kills it while the other is a glorified cheerleader

She has sold out every B1G arena this year, including the RAC. Ticket prices have been thru the roof. True role model for young girls.
Iowa born & bred, stayed all 4 years, NIL the correct way.
I don’t watch WBB but I’ve seen a bunch of CFB media tweets on the lines outside arenas where they’re playing and they’re massive. The tv ratings for games have been good too.

Clark will be more famous now than in the forever failing WNBA.

The public likes following the chasing of records. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Triple Crown winners, Michael Phelps and so on - all big deals for a little while. Clark doesn't look like Alex Morgan or Allison Stokke. She has none of Livvy Dunne's personality. She's a tremendous BB shooter but then its all downhill. WNBA can be downright repulsive so there's no juice there

I don’t watch WBB but I’ve seen a bunch of CFB media tweets on the lines outside arenas where they’re playing and they’re massive. The tv ratings for games have been good too.

I don't watch WBB either, but, If you pay attention to any social media or sports programming you could not miss CC

Reactions: rutgersguy1
yea everyone likes it and glad it became a small part of the game .
No controversy at all👌
I think the kind of NIL that is going to Caitlin Clark -- deals between her and outsiders that in effect compensate her for the monetary value of her achievements -- is increasingly accepted. The kind of NIL that is used by boosters as a recruitment or retention inducement, well, not so much. IMHO, this is as it should be.

And you don’t think maybe dad had some influence on that thinking? 😊

Wise kid.

It’s still what NIL should be about. When athletes were arguing for NIL, they wanted to be allowed to get paid to work camps in their hometown or get compensated for jersey sales. I never heard an argument for having bidding wars on a yearly basis for them to compete at your school. Dunne is getting paid for things she would have been entitled to had she been a non-athlete student. She is generating business and sales through endorsements.

The current NIL for most football players revolves around paying them to play, then figuring out something nominal they can do like sign a few autographs or do some charity work to make it look legit.

I don't think I agree. There are lots of beautiful young women. But her ability at gymnastics has made her known in a way that wouldn't otherwise have been possible and so gave her a launching point for her NIL and social media success. I agree, though, that her looks have given her more recognition than her gymnastic ability standing alone.

Axios reports that: "Caitlin Clark is now the top-selling athlete in college sports' NIL era . . . Fans scooped up troves of Clark-branded merchandise after she broke the NCAA women's scoring record. She sold more merch in the 24 hours after that game than any other college athlete ever has."

Perhaps I should have posted this on the women's basketball board, but there is so much interest in NIL that I thought it was better to post it here.
Well deserved. CC is amazing. Definitely taking women's basketball to a new level.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I'm pretty sure that Clark doesn't wear a jock.
I hope not, anyway! Your comment reminds me of the professor (this is true!) who said he wanted to find a female equivalent for the expression "belt and suspenders," which as you know is used to describe something taking exceptionally protective measures. I don't know if he ever got an answer.

That has a lot to do with the networks shoving Taylor Swift down football fans' throats. The only way Caitlin Clark gets that level of publicity is if she was dating Travis Kelce.

That has a lot to do with the networks shoving Taylor Swift down football fans' throats. The only way Caitlin Clark gets that level of publicity is if she was dating Travis Kelce.
Agree
There’s a clear narrative which, to their credit and judging by the rating$, is working

She'd likely have to do more than date Kelce. No matter who she dated she is not going to equal Swift's level of fame since she is a world wide phenom. Clark is only known to college sports fans, and that has likely peaked. She will be less famous once she goes to the WNBA

Reactions: bac2therac
You don’t become a billionaire by being a bystander.

Another female BB star, Cameron Brink, will quite a few NIL , but probably due to her looks. God sister of Steve Curry

Last edited:
Reactions: ManasquanMike
She'd likely have to do more than date Kelce. No matter who she dated she is not going to equal Swift's level of fame since she is a world wide phenom. Clark is only known to college sports fans, and that has likely peaked. She will be less famous once she goes to the WNBA

Actually, with the coverage she has received on both the national and local newscasts she's known to a lot more. Will that continue in the WNBA? Doubtful.

You don’t become a billionaire by being a bystander.

Another female BB star, Cameron Brink, will quite a few NIL , but probably due to her looks. God sister of Steve Curry

God sister? Not a thing.

CC is the most interesting and compelling basketball player in the world right now.
I don't watch WBB or much MBB for that matter but I think CC has been a big amplifier for WBB's growth. She's definitely a big attraction right now but it looks like good numbers are showing up in other games too so there's probably a halo effect. 6.7M for UConn/USC is a good number plus I think it peaked at 10M plus for the first 13 mins of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT