ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember the AIAW?

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
Long-time women's bball fans might find this article from today's Washington Post interesting. It caught my attention when I saw Lynette Woodward's name in a photo caption and it made me think "Lynette Woodward? Didn't she play for Kansas? Didn't RU play them at the RAC while she was still there?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e4e24119b27027/21/44/65da188ea6014d34b386d412

The article includes a CVS mention and also a reference to the nuns of Immaculata College, which made me think of Theresa Grentz. And, of course, RU won the very last AIAW championship (over Texas?) in 1982.

It was prompted by Caitlin Clark's phenomenal run to set the "NCAA record" and in no way diminishes her accomplishments and contributions to increasing interest in the sport. But it does raise interesting questions about why the early years of scoring records were never "folded in" to the NCAA record books.

I apologize if this article can't be opened by anyone with a WAPO subscription. But I did want to post it here, given RU's great tradition in women's bball.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Yes, the AIAW records thing is odd. Coaching victories do translate - Vivian's Cheney wins are almost all AIAW - but player records don't. And regarding coaches, junior colleges don't count, although lower level 4 year schools do. See Andy Landers long time NCAA complaint.

In fact, Lynette Woodard has the record for major schools. The highest women's scorer, and out of Clark's reach, and whose name slips my mind completely, scored a lot of points at a Junior or community college, and thus, are not included in even the main AIAW records.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Pearl Moore scored 4,061 points during her collegiate career ( 1975-1979) for Francis Marion College (AIAW)

I remember clearly. Rutgers had a great team and won the national championship against favored Texas at the Palestra in Philly. I was there. I remember how good we can be. Theresa Grentz was a great coach.

Reactions: pele78
Pearl Moore scored 4,061 points during her collegiate career ( 1975-1979) for Francis Marion College (AIAW)
That's the player. Francis Marion was Division II in AIAW, while Woodard's Kansas was Division I (although I am pretty sure I read the terminology was different).

The reminder about the difference between AIAW and NCAA records was in an article I read about Woodard and specifically contrasting players records to coaches and "school" records.

That's the player. Francis Marion was Division II in AIAW, while Woodard's Kansas was Division I (although I am pretty sure I read the terminology was different).

The reminder about the difference between AIAW and NCAA records was in an article I read about Woodard and specifically contrasting players records to coaches and "school" records.
The NCAA included Pat Summitt and CVS' AIAW wins in their records when their total victories were added up, but NCAA refuses to recognize the statistics AIAW players had .

There was a film done on the team “Forgotten Champions” - you can find trailer for it on YouTub, and I think complete show is on BTN+. It was aired on BTN a few years ago.
Another interesting note, iirc, was that year CVS took Cheney into NCAAs, so if there had been a unified tournament enemy Grentz vs. CVS might have happened.

I remember clearly. Rutgers had a great team and won the national championship against favored Texas at the Palestra in Philly. I was there. I remember how good we can be. Theresa Grentz was a great coach.
The end of the June Olkowski era and leading up to the unmatched Sue Wicks era…the best RU BB player…ever! I believe the long time UConn assistant and winner of many many many natties with UConn was also an RU player during the 82 aiaw natty…

The end of the June Olkowski era and leading up to the unmatched Sue Wicks era…the best RU BB player…ever! I believe the long time UConn assistant and winner of many many many natties with UConn was also an RU player during the 82 aiaw natty…
Chris Dailey. Was in the mix for job when Grentz left but withdrew her name, iirc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT