ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember Glen Stokes from the early 90’s

RuBird

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Star at Ramapo who went to Rutgers. Did not play many seasons. He is now the AD at the school system I teach in. Funny story, I was asked to work a track meet. I always have RU gear on. Totally forgot I have my RU alum hat on. Our former AD brings this man over to meet me. Before I can say anything I get….. “ So you went to Rutgers. When did you graduate?”. I told him in 1988. Asked me if I remembered him at all. I laughed and said I do. He paused for a moment and said, “ You must be a true fan of RU since I did not play much at all.”.

Long story short it was great speaking all Rutgers with him. From my favorite former bball player, John Battle, to his thoughts on the program and Coach Pike. Basically said loves the direction of the team and feels Pike is the right man for the job.

Last edited:
Did Stokes transfer to Monmouth? I remember going to a Monmouth - FDU game around 1990 or so and Stokes was terrific in a double / triple OT game at Monmouth.

I assume he would have stayed at RU if Kobo had not come here.

Unfortunately we are a small Group 1 school so I don’t think he can sway many to come to RU. Our star Softball pitcher is going to Providence. Scouts saw her on her club team.

I'm pretty sure it was his sophomore year. It was the game against either Drexel or Delaware. He stepped in front of a pass near mid-court and stole the ball. During his clear path for a dunk (toward the basket opposite the student section), he stumbled and hit is head on the base of the basket. He ran back to play D but was wobbly from the shot to the head. He ended up lying down and they stopped play to help him off.
I always wondered how much of that he remembers.

Unfortunately we are a small Group 1 school so I don’t think he can sway many to come to RU. Our star Softball pitcher is going to Providence. Scouts saw her on her club team.
Softball coaches don't recruit high school games; they recruit club teams.

I'm pretty sure it was his sophomore year. It was the game against either Drexel or Delaware. He stepped in front of a pass near mid-court and stole the ball. During his clear path for a dunk (toward the basket opposite the student section), he stumbled and hit is head on the base of the basket. He ran back to play D but was wobbly from the shot to the head. He ended up lying down and they stopped play to help him off.

Section 118 remembers!

The funny thing is that 118 had a better view of the play then Coach Wenzel. During the play after Stokes went down, Bob kept yelling at Stokes, "Get up Glenn, Get up Glenn, Get up Glenn" repeating it about a half dozen times, not knowing how hard he had hit his head. Stokes tried to get up but went back down. Section 118 fans yelled to Bob that he was pretty hurt and to stop the play. Bob looked at us in both thanks and disbelief. Stokes had to have been close to a concussion and he was definitely seeing stars.

Funny RAC moment as everything turned out okay but etched in Section 118's memory.

Section 118 remembers!

Last edited:
Didn’t chris Simms go to Ramapo ?

There was a big man that flunked out around then . I don’t think it was stokes. Andre lamoreaux ?

Section 118 remembers!

The funny thing is that 118 had a better view of the play then Coach Wenzel. During the play after Stokes went down, Bob kept yelling at Stokes, "Get up Glenn, Get up Glenn, Get up Glenn" repeating it about a half dozen times, not knowing how hard he had hit his head. Stokes tried to get up but went back down. Section 118 fans yelled to Bob that he was pretty hurt and to stop the play. Bob looked at us in both thanks and disbelief. Stokes had to have been close to a concussion and he was definitely seeing stars.

Funny RAC moment as everything turned out okay but etched in Section 118's memory.

Section 118 remembers!
5eksgp.jpg

There was a big man that flunked out around then . I don’t think it was stokes. Andre lamoreaux ?
Yes, Lamoreaux was a couple of years later than Stokes. He was ineligible Sr year.

Hoops was painful in those years- every year we had no talent in the post and tremendous talent elsewhere on the court. Most notably, were Waliyy Dixon (now Main Event) and Charles Jones who went on to lead NCAA in scoring at LIU and played in NBA.

I figured that to be true just have direct knowledge from softball.
Soccer is very much what you described from what I've seen and hockey I think may be similar too. Basketball has the AAU circuit which dominates recruiting.

Certain sports like wrestling, tennis, track, etc. are probably still at the HS level as they are more individual sports than team sports.

Soccer is very much what you described from what I've seen and hockey I think may be similar too. Basketball has the AAU circuit which dominates recruiting.

Certain sports like wrestling, tennis, track, etc. are probably still at the HS level as they are more individual sports than team sports.
One of the top women's runners in the country is from Trenton. Went to Trenton Central HS but only ran for her club: https://12thman.com/sports/mens-track-and-field/roster/athing-mu/9704

Hpmestly
Honestly, that's the only Stokes play I remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT