ADVERTISEMENT

Finally able to donate to RFund at concessions

How do you not mention/tag me with this info? :(

And it’s about GD time!

Also, saw your Twitter post about the State
Penn loss to Illinois in MBB. Ouch! But awesome at the same time.:ThumbsUp

I was trying to remember who here was the one that was the spokesmodel for this and I couldn't remember. My bad.

Never an "ouch" when psu loses. It's always "woo hoo fps". I actually got a text from someone last night that said "fps" as a way of telling me they had lost. Ha.

Last edited:
I was trying to remember who here was the one that was the spokesmodel for this and I couldn't remember. My bad.

Never an "ouch" when psu loses. It's always "woo hoo fps". I actually got a text from someone last night that said "fps" as a way of telling me they had lost. Ha.
"Ouch" as in...she is fierce. LOL

I would think there are literally thousands of people at each game that have no idea what the R fund is but they wouldn't think twice about adding a couple of bucks to a purchase.

"Literally thousands"?

I'll take that bet.

Offering tipping for the scholarship athletes instead of the work study students selling the over priced food? Not sure about this one.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Seldom wrong and right again, sir. Paying $5 for a 20-pounce bottle of Coke Zero in 12 hours will have to suffice as my donation for today.

I'm happy to pay $5 for a 1 cent bottle of water because it supports the program.

"You want MORE money?"

"Literally thousands"?

I'll take that bet.
I bring dozens of pop Warner kids and their parents to a game every year. I can guarantee not one of them has a clue what the R Fund is nor do they care. If a game has 40 K in the stands there will be a healthy percentage of people present who are not season ticket holders or even RU grads for that matter. So why would they have heard of the R Fund? If even half of those purchases resulted in an extra dollar donated then good on Rutgers.

I bring dozens of pop Warner kids and their parents to a game every year. I can guarantee not one of them has a clue what the R Fund is nor do they care. If a game has 40 K in the stands there will be a healthy percentage of people present who are not season ticket holders or even RU grads for that matter. So why would they have heard of the R Fund? If even half of those purchases resulted in an extra dollar donated then good on Rutgers.

Half of those people aren't going to drop money in the RFund bucket at the concession stands.

Half of those people aren't going to drop money in the RFund bucket at the concession stands.
Doesn't have to equal half or even close to half to become "thousands" of dollars. The concept is a money maker elsewhere or it wouldn't exist at so many registers. When i buy something and i'm asked to add a dollar for anything ranging from cancer research to finding homes for dogs i do so. I don't do it because i have any real disposable income or that i know someone with cancer or give a shit about stray dogs. I do it because at that brief moment i quickly say to myself "sure why not?" It's convenient and RU will profit by it.

Last edited:
Doesn't half to equal half or even close to half to become "thousands" of dollars. The concept is a money maker elsewhere or it wouldn't exist at so many registers. When i buy something and i'm asked to add a dollar for anything ranging from cancer research to finding homes for dogs i do so. I don't do it because i have any real disposable income or that i know someone with cancer or give a shit about stray dogs. I do it because at that brief moment i quickly say to myself "sure why not?" It's convenient and RU will profit by it.

Good for you.

The overall register donation rate at commercial retailers is about 1%.

I'm not saying RFund isn't going to pick up a little spare change. I'm saying it's going to be a few thousand dollars against a $100MM athletics budget.

Reactions: Local Shill
Good for you.

The overall register donation rate at commercial retailers is about 1%.

I'm not saying RFund isn't going to pick up a little spare change. I'm saying it's going to be a few thousand dollars against a $100MM athletics budget.
Good for you. You just said the same thing i said in my original post. RU will make a few thousand dollars.

Good for you. You just said the same thing i said in my original post. RU will make a few thousand dollars.

Actually, you said:

I would think there are literally thousands of people at each game that have no idea what the R fund is but they wouldn't think twice about adding a couple of bucks to a purchase.

So it's really more like a couple of hundred people at each game who might add a couple of bucks to their purchase.

I do think there are thousands at Football games that have no clue what the R Fund is. And maybe not as many at MBB but the % might be the same.

Now do I think of thousands will use this feature...probably not. But as @jreinsdorf said, anything would be appreciated. No matter how big or small.

Reactions: TRU2RU and MrsScrew
This is progress, some folks will just donate 1 or 5 and every dollar helps. And if you don't want to, you don't. CVS has the American Heart Association pop up, them or Target. Love this. Team we need another $250M dollars to build the field house and make the RAC "nicer", so glad to see this initiative.

By the way, I'd expect some type of increase in BB ticket prices, so strap in. I'm not an insider, just seems logical.

This is progress, some folks will just donate 1 or 5 and every dollar helps. And if you don't want to, you don't. CVS has the American Heart Association pop up, them or Target. Love this. Team we need another $250M dollars to build the field house and make the RAC "nicer", so glad to see this initiative.
Which is all I wanted...the option to do/offer this at the POS.

Next step: Kiosks on the concourse of our venues that can take your money (cash, credit/debit) AND be linked to your account to give credit/earn points like @RU4Real mentioned.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Which is all I wanted...the option to do/offer this at the POS.

Next step: Kiosks on the concourse of our venues that can take your money (cash, credit/debit) AND be linked to your account to give credit/earn points like @RU4Real mentioned.

I disagree.

The true next step would be for Rutgers Athletics to implement a real e-commerce back-end. The current, disparate and frankly awful systems that manage donations, point tracking and ticketing are an embarrassment to a $100MM+ operation.

now if I could wait on a single line for the bathroom, food, beer and raffle tickets I might be in. I would settle for a bathroom speedpass if the other 3 could be grouped.

You also have to be careful about over pestering people and conditioning them to saying no thanks. When I asked a student about the Targum losing funding I was told people found the canvassers over aggressive and annoying, so people didn't vote to support Targum.

soon you will be charged to use the restrooms
Remember these? Use to see them everywhere when I was a kid.

89194c1221472a6bfab99680c1ed5019.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Who can forget this legendary rhyme written on the walls of bathroom stalls from coast to coast?

Here I sit, broken-hearted,
Paid a dime and only farted.

Last edited:
Maybe they do, I don't know, but they should also have the option to round your purchase up to the nearest dollar and the difference goes to the RFund. Or have that done automatically, with signage around the place saying that's the policy. No real Rutgers fan would complain.

Maybe they do, I don't know, but they should also have the option to round your purchase up to the nearest dollar and the difference goes to the RFund. Or have that done automatically, with signage around the place saying that's the policy. No real Rutgers fan would complain.
+1

Remember how the base for the Statue of Liberty was built, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT