ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Do you donate to RU NIL collectives?

Have you donated to RU NIL Collectives?

• Total voters

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
We have seen Greg Schiano demonstrate unquestionable progress with this year’s football team. Steve Pikiell has taken a scandal ridden basketball team and made it a sustainable winner with a potential top 3 in the nation 2024 recruiting class. Scott Goodale delivered Top 20 wrestling teams for the last decade.

These three gentlemen, by all accounts, run scandal free development-based programs that RU can now be proud of.

So the question is, with NIL being the reality of the college sports, do you give to NIL collectives? Yes, many support RU with ticket, parking, concessions, priority point donations….but NIL is what is important to build and maintain success. Like it or not, this is the competitive environment that Rutgers is in.

Interesting article from earlier this year:

Here’s where you can donate (you can designate specific sports): https://www.knightsoftheraritan.com

Reactions: eddynyse
Not to be a party pooper, but while this could be a fun and interesting poll, it's almost certainly not going to result in an accurate representation of percentages of people who donate.

First, people who take the time to visit an RU sports internet forum are likely, but not assured, of being more interested in donating than the general public (the more casual fan). So there's a potential skew to the numbers but no way to know the degree to which it's skewed.

Second, some, perhaps many, people don't discuss financial stuff like this, even anonymously. I generally don't discuss, in detail, my charitable efforts (not even with family and friends). I learned early on in life that it's best done as anonymously as possible because once organizations find out you'll donate money, they hound you mercilessly forever, which gets really old fast.

So people being discreet will also skew the poll results and, again, there's no way to quantify the degree of the skew.

Reactions: newell138
Yes, I donate and encourage others to do the same. I understand the distaste for this that many have, but this is the way the game is played these days. We either do our best to support these players, or watch them go elsewhere, where other fanbases will support them.

Not to be a party pooper, but while this could be a fun and interesting poll, it's almost certainly not going to result in an accurate representation of percentages of people who donate.

First, people who take the time to visit an RU sports internet forum are likely, but not assured, of being more interested in donating than the general public (the more casual fan). So there's a potential skew to the numbers but no way to know the degree to which it's skewed.

Second, some, perhaps many, people don't discuss financial stuff like this, even anonymously. I generally don't discuss, in detail, my charitable efforts (not even with family and friends). I learned early on in life that it's best done as anonymously as possible because once organizations find out you'll donate money, they hound you mercilessly forever, which gets really old fast.

So people being discreet will also skew the poll results and, again, there's no way to quantify the degree of the skew.
I’m not asking details (specific dollar amounts) and this forum is anonymous (no charity will be able to figure out your name on this forum).

Reactions: rutgersal
I’m not asking details (specific dollar amounts) and this forum is anonymous (no charity will be able to figure out your name on this forum).
If I wanted to, I could determine the real names of everybody in this forum. Internet forums are not nearly as anonymous as people might think. Especially public-facing forums that can be read without having an account.

Read up on how big data companies collect lots of the highly personalized data they sell. You'll want to get a cabin in the mountains and never touch a digital device again. 🙂

In any event, I'm not saying you shouldn't have the poll. I'm just saying the results will be skewed and you'll never know the extent to which it's skewed. So it'll be fun and interesting, but don't read a whole lot into the results.

If I wanted to, I could determine the real names of everybody in this forum. Internet forums are not nearly as anonymous as people might think. Especially public-facing forums that can be read without having an account.

Read up on how big data companies collect lots of the highly personalized data they sell. You'll want to get a cabin in the mountains and never touch a digital device again. 🙂

In any event, I'm not saying you shouldn't have the poll. I'm just saying the results will be skewed and you'll never know the extent to which it's skewed. So it'll be fun and interesting, but don't read a whole lot into the results.
Yes, the results will be skewed, but everything is skewed here because it’s a unique subset of people, who gather here to discuss Rutgers Football.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Did you intend to ask the question about RU NIL in general or specific for football? I picked yes because I do donate but designate my donation to baseball.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I dónate and encourage everyone to do so. Sadly most do not and will not even when they know it’s an arms race in the BIG. They can actually help the team win but nah I prefer to just complain about anything and everything because I’m a bored old man.

There are about 5 losers who live here that can do that but they’re not smart enough. It’s a poll on an anonymous board bro it’s not that serious.

These boards are NOT as good of a good barometer of our overall fan base (and I say this in the opposite direction of Mildone), IMHO, as some may think. For nearly two decades people have tried to gauge estimated attendance numbers at bowl, games, by starting polls/threads here to guesstimate (“ are you going, how many tickets are you buying, etc. etc.”), and have miserably failed. Many people who post here have never donated, bought season tickets for any sport, or likely ever have gone to a bowl game NOT in NJ or NYC.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Henry Rutgers
These boards are NOT as good of a good barometer of our overall fan base (and I say this in the opposite direction of Mildone), IMHO, as some may think. For nearly two decades people have tried to gauge estimated attendance numbers at bowl, games, by starting polls/threads here to guesstimate, and have miserably failed. Many people who post here have never donated, bought season tickets for any sport, or likely ever have gone to a bowl game NOT in NJ or NYC.
I agree NUTS, I actually find this poll to be interesting for exactly that reason. I'm not expecting to gain any insight into the overall fan base, but I still think it's fun to have even a vague, unscientific sense of whether fans that actually do visit this site are giving to NIL.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Piggyback on the great tipping tsunami: disperse "Rutgers NIL Tip Jars" in/around businesses. Crazy enough to work? Desperate times call for....

I’d be interested to hear from folks who haven’t contributed to NIL collectives. Presumably they are fans of the teams (because they’re here). What are the reasons for not contributing?

These boards are NOT as good of a good barometer of our overall fan base (and I say this in the opposite direction of Mildone), IMHO, as some may think. For nearly two decades people have tried to gauge estimated attendance numbers at bowl, games, by starting polls/threads here to guesstimate (“ are you going, how many tickets are you buying, etc. etc.”), and have miserably failed. Many people who post here have never donated, bought season tickets for any sport, or likely ever have gone to a bowl game NOT in NJ or NYC.
Make that most don’t donate more than their required amounts. How do I know this? Back in 2018 I increased my yearly donation to RU football and was told at the time of the call , “you are in a group which is above the average for Rutgers sports.” Now as others have said “ you may not agree with NIL but it is the new way of college sports.” You either pony up or get used to losing top recruits and keeping quality players being developed by Rutgers. All the B1G bucks alums and fans at RU and we still fall far behind many.

Make that most don’t donate more than their required amounts. How do I know this? Back in 2018 I increased my yearly donation to RU football and was told at the time of the call , “you are in a group which is above the average for Rutgers sports.” Now as others have said “ you may not agree with NIL but it is the new way of college sports.” You either pony up or get used to losing top recruits and keeping quality players being developed by Rutgers. All the B1G bucks alums and fans at RU and we still fall far behind many.
THIS IS ON RUTGERS UNIVERSITY. Most schools cultivate a culture/understanding of "giving back" from the day you graduate. $25/month (example) for Year 1. $50/month for Year 2. So on and so forth. It comes directly out of your pay so, as times goes on, not only are your donations increasing, exponentially, but you don't even notice it because you've become so accustomed to NOT having that money. So many of my friends who went to other schools have NO issue giving larger donations here-and-there, for building projects and whatnot, because their annual giving is nothing more than an afterthought.

THIS IS ON RUTGERS UNIVERSITY. Most schools cultivate a culture/understanding of "giving back" from the day you graduate. $25/month (example) for Year 1. $50/month for Year 2. So on and so forth. It comes directly out of your pay so, as times goes on, not only are your donations increasing, exponentially, but you don't even notice it because you've become so accustomed to NOT having that money. So many of my friends who went to other schools have NO issue giving larger donations here-and-there, for building projects and whatnot, because their annual giving is nothing more than an afterthought.
We have in our family a 24 year old, single and recent Rutgers College Scholar graduate, working in Finance for a top 100 company , making roughly in the neighborhood of 130k . Thinks he deserves more but realizes it takes more than two years in the workplace. When I asked him is he donating to his Alma Mater he looked at me as if I had 3 heads not 2. But I will keep busting his balls.

• Wow
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I realize that I said "cultivate a culture" lol...also, it's also:

- we sucked as an overall athletic department for a long, long time and
- this in New Jersey

Well that plays out with almost 50% of the people voting from this board do not donate...Probably the biggest negatoids as well...

I’d be interested to hear from folks who haven’t contributed to NIL collectives. Presumably they are fans of the teams (because they’re here). What are the reasons for not contributing?
I have no problem answering...I have not contributed...and one of the many reason is that I am the only "continued" die hard Rutger's fan in he house. We are getting close to retirement and now have Grandchildren. If we win/lose/etc...really has no value that I can really attach to my life. If I am watching on TV- I am paying for my entertainment, if I go to the game, I am paying for my entertainment.
Paying college athletes, who have now become complete play for pay over loyalty is not something I am going to give extra to.
And the one time I ever mentioned it to the wife - her response "tell them that we already gave our first born" lol

Been a season ticket holder for a long time. I want to see RU continue to improve in athletics. I donate to the athletic programs. I'm not paying some kid to play at RU.

Reactions: Tillett Hall
This was evident when NIL came about . There were more who did not wish to pay a college kid for a sport and on scholarship. There were probably many who were in favor of compensation but at a more realistic level. A monthly stipend is much more different and understandable than dishing out thousands . Now if it was based on actual production?

This was evident when NIL came about . There were more who did not wish to pay a college kid for a sport and on scholarship. There were probably many who were in favor of compensation but at a more realistic level. A monthly stipend is much more different and understandable than dishing out thousands . Now if it was based on actual production?
Pretty sure scholarship athletes already get a stipend. Not sure how much.

Yes
Winning means a lot to me

Being a season ticket holder for football, basketball, wrestling and lacrosse, I am emotionally invested in this

I go to games for fun and enjoyment, but it’s much more fun when we’re winning

If fb & wrestling get better, I’ll donate more there.

Truthfully though, I don’t believe in Greg, or Goody to get us elite, so I’ve upped my contributions to bball & lax at the expense of football & wrestling as I believe Steve & Brian have unlimited potential

I look at it like I already spend money on season tickets bc I want us to win, so I may as well directly contribute to that (winning) by contributing to NIL

it hasn’t broken the bank, hasn’t stopped us from going on vacations, saving for college / retirement, or paying mortgage / groceries

Is NIL perfect? Absolutely not

But Rutgers winning means a lot to me. the games much more enjoyable and makes me more happy.

So if donating contributes to that, then that’s what ill continue to do

I think he meant a NIL "stipend"

When they first started to discuss NIL- I thought it kind of fair. I remember when R Hart helped get college players get paid for Madden. I think it came to like a payment of about 3k.
So- I thought, it would b a revenue sharing type thing for money that came in from outside sources. Sneaker deals, video games, jerseys etc...and they shared out equally to the players. Coaches get money from these things, why not the players.

But then they took it to a new level.

And then, ok, well, this is for promotional work- businesses and companies that want to pay a player to make appearances or and advertisement.. ok- maybe no longer equal amongst players but it is a free market.

And then- OK, you do not own a business or company, but we want your money too- I'm sorry, that was too much.

Yes
Winning means a lot to me

Being a season ticket holder for football, basketball, wrestling and lacrosse, I am emotionally invested in this

I go to games for fun and enjoyment, but it’s much more fun when we’re winning

If fb & wrestling get better, I’ll donate more there.

Truthfully though, I don’t believe in Greg, or Goody to get us elite, so I’ve upped my contributions to bball & lax at the expense of football & wrestling as I believe Steve & Brian have unlimited potential

I look at it like I already spend money on season tickets bc I want us to win, so I may as well directly contribute to that (winning) by contributing to NIL

it hasn’t broken the bank, hasn’t stopped us from going on vacations, saving for college / retirement, or paying mortgage / groceries

Is NIL perfect? Absolutely not

But Rutgers winning means a lot to me. the games much more enjoyable and makes me more happy.

So if donating contributes to that, then that’s what ill continue to do
I’m with you 100.%

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
I’m 100% for players getting paid for their NIL. If I controlled a marketing or advertising budget I would consider hiring a student athlete in some promotions. But I’m not going to just hand over money to anyone to play for RU. I have other priorities.

A stipend which is actually something that makes a difference while a student athlete. I don’t know what they were given per week/monthly prior but it wasn’t much from what was revealed. Today in 2023 it is more I will assume.

Yea RU has had major issues with developing a culture of giving back to the RU community. I hope (crossing my fingers) that they have learn that they have to start early in the student career and continue the connection with the alumni through their life. For example, they should cultivate the relationship with the Riot Squad members. Create an experience for those students that is super fun and engaging with the understanding that we will need their support when they graduate to continue our success via contributions to the university or the collectives.

Also love the "Rutgers Round Up" idea at the games that goes to one of the Collectives.

I still don't understand why Jersey Mike's Corp is not making a significant donation to the Rutgers Basketball NIL Collectives. Having RU as a top 10 program will only improve their investments into their naming rights of the arena.

I’m 100% for players getting paid for their NIL. If I controlled a marketing or advertising budget I would consider hiring a student athlete in some promotions. But I’m not going to just hand over money to anyone to play for RU. I have other priorities.
You can chose which team gets it.

You can give as little as $11 a month. That’s less than a pizza. I’m pretty sure every can afford that.

It’s just establishing a culture of giving so that we can stay competitive.

You can chose which team gets it.

You can give as little as $11 a month. That’s less than a pizza. I’m pretty sure every can afford that.

It’s just establishing a culture of giving so that we can stay competitive.
You said you wanted to understand why posters don’t contribute and I gave you my answer. You and I have different priorities.

Reactions: newell138
I’ll never criticize people that don’t contribute to NIL

It doesn’t make you less of a fan and doesn’t mean you don’t value winning

My only point with that though is if You don’t contribute, you have to be comfortable with a steady diet of Pinstripe / quik lane Bowls, regular 20+ point losses to psu / osu / Mich, and fringe top 25 classes

Since i don’t think Greg’s ceiling is winning anything more than 8 games, I’ve sliced my fb donation in half in favor of lax / bball

I’m ok w the current status quo bc I truly don’t feel he can get us over the hump

Now if we hired Deion / Urban (not saying they’d come here but using as example), I’d immediately increase my fb donation but keep same levels for lax/bball bc then I’d believe in 3 coaches

Grab us Burroughs or Hahn for wrestling and I’d increase that as well, without cutting off the others

To each his own as everyone has different priorities

I’ll never criticize people that don’t contribute to NIL

It doesn’t make you less of a fan and doesn’t mean you don’t value winning

My only point with that though is if You don’t contribute, you have to be comfortable with a steady diet of Pinstripe / quik lane Bowls, regular 20+ point losses to psu / osu / Mich, and fringe top 25 classes

Since i don’t think Greg’s ceiling is winning anything more than 8 games, I’ve sliced my fb donation in half in favor of lax / bball

I’m ok w the current status quo bc I truly don’t feel he can get us over the hump

Now if we hired Deion / Urban (not saying they’d come here but using as example), I’d immediately increase my fb donation but keep same levels for lax/bball bc then I’d believe in 3 coaches

Grab us Burroughs or Hahn for wrestling and I’d increase that as well, without cutting off the others

To each his own as everyone has different priorities
Yeah- he has a great ceiling...lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT