ADVERTISEMENT

Flo's NJ HS Rankings

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
Flo updated it's NJ High School rankings this weekend.

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...ngs/33028-new-jersey-high-school-rankings-106

RU commits:
Connor O'Neil (Sr) - #1 at 170

"A finalist last year, and ranked #11 in the country, Connor O’Neil sits just above last year’s 170lb state champion, Brandon Green. If Howard/Ventresca is the main event this year, Green/O’Neil should be the final undercard.

O'Neil was more active than Green this summer, earning him the higher ranking, but Green could be a problem for O’Neil athletically come March."

John Poznanski (Sr) - #1 at 182

"Poznaski is clearly the guy here. Ranked #4 in the country, it’s going to be difficult to deny him his first state title, but there is a lot of talent behind him.

Martin Cosgrove was one of the surprises of last year’s state tournament where he placed third as a freshman at 170. His time is coming, but beating Poznaski will be a tall task."

Kyle Epperly (Sr) - #3 at 195

Other Notables:

Alex Almeyda (Soph) - #1 at 120

"
This is THE weight to watch this year. I just spoke about 113 being wide-open, but this is a weight in which anyone in the top five has a very real shot of winning and they’re all ultra-talented. Almeyda gets the nod at #1 after the highest finish at Super 32. Peterson and Babin met in last year’s 113lb state finals, with Peterson winning the title. And Santaniello and Kayal have both found themselves in and out of the rankings throughout their careers.

All of these dudes are hungry. I expect it to be a slugfest all year long. Whoever wins the title here will surely earn it."

Vincent Santaniello (Jr) - #4 at 120
Dylan Weaver (Jr) - #1 at 138

"I feel confident putting Dylan Weaver at #1 here. I know Joey Olivieri won a state title at 106 two years ago but Weaver has been trending up and fast. After a solid freshman year at Bergen Catholic, he transferred home where he is coached by his father and hasn’t missed a step. If New Jersey wrestling gave out a “most improved” superlative, Weaver would have won it. I think he’s the guy to beat this year."

Joey Olivieri (Jr) - #2 at 138
Brian Soldano (Soph) - #1 at 160

"Soldano is only a sophomore, but after a bloodround finish at last year’s state tourney and a solid summer, he enters this year ranked #14 in the country and certainly the guy to beat. "

PJ Casale (Soph) - #2 at 220

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
Martin Cosgrove should be on the coaches big time radar. Will be a college 197lber. Spends a lot of time at the Penn RTC so need to get him over to the NJRTC. Dont think he will beat Poz, but do expect that to be the final at 182.

Martin Cosgrove should be on the coaches big time radar. Will be a college 197lber. Spends a lot of time at the Penn RTC so need to get him over to the NJRTC. Dont think he will beat Poz, but do expect that to be the final at 182.
If he can't beat Poz and doesn't go to SKWC, why should he be as he doesn't seem to have any interest here and can't beat the guy that does? Depth guy?

Last edited:
If he can't beat Poz and doesn't go to SKWC, why should he be as he doesn't seem to have any interest here and can't beat the guy that does? Depth guy?
Only going into his sophomore season will be highly recruited when coaches can contact him.

Reactions: Leonard23
Howard vs Ventresca should be a lot of fun. Don’t think 113 is very wide open, I think that’s Klinsky’s weight class to lose since Ungar transferred to Pennsylvania. 120 I’d take Peterson. Kid has been dominant his first two years of high school. Thought it was strange a lot of places listed Almeyda as the top seed. Must have had a good summer but you don’t usually see kids who take 7th in a weight class bump up and jump to 1 over 5 kids who finished higher in the tournament. Granted he beat a lot of them head to head but I still feel like Peterson should get the top ranking by default.

Howard vs Ventresca should be a lot of fun. Don’t think 113 is very wide open, I think that’s Klinsky’s weight class to lose since Ungar transferred to Pennsylvania. 120 I’d take Peterson. Kid has been dominant his first two years of high school. Thought it was strange a lot of places listed Almeyda as the top seed. Must have had a good summer but you don’t usually see kids who take 7th in a weight class bump up and jump to 1 over 5 kids who finished higher in the tournament. Granted he beat a lot of them head to head but I still feel like Peterson should get the top ranking by default.

Our in state rankings will have Peterson at NO 1 where he should be as a returning champ.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT