ADVERTISEMENT

For the Chris Ash is not our coach anymore crowd.

Agree 100% with Zappaa based on Delaware's ability to get decent yards on so many of their rush attempts and our rushing for 50 yards on 43 carries (I think those were the stats) vs Cuse. I love the way we're trending, but I would be shocked if Michigan didn't beat the points...by a lot. In a year or two with GS's recruiting and staff, I believe we will be in a position to beat almost anyone on any given day, but we're not there yet. But still hoping to go bowling this year.

Some B1G stats:
Rutgers' defense is ranked second in B1G for YPG at 261.
Rutgers' passing defense is ranked #1 in B1G for passing YPG at 145.7
Rutgers' rush defense is ranked #9 in B1G for rushing YPG at 115.3 (5 teams clusters within 8 ypg)
Rutgers' and Michigan's defenses are tied at second in B1G for points/game at 11.5

Michigan is ranked #1 in points per game at 47. Rutgers is #2 at 41.
Michigan leads the B1G in rushing ypg at 350.3. Rutgers is at 144.3
Rutgers is #8 in B1G in passing ypg at 206.7. Michigan is #12 at 164.3

Rutgers is #3 in special teams average at 26.2 ypg. Michigan is #4 at 25.8 ypg.

The only thing to be truly concerned about is a blowout. There is no expectation of us winning, so the blowout is the only bad outcome here. So with that said, I can't see us going from triple OT one year and a blowout the next. GS will have them prepared. DE was a concern, and we did exactly what we should have done (minus a couple unfortunate plays).

While I 100% agree with OP- this comment bothers the living F out of me. Those "Ash" players have actually proven to be a pretty decent amount of P5 players on the team. In what would be a full season under Greg's coaching- these kids have gone 6-6. That includes 9 B1G games, 1 ACC game, 1 G5 game and a top FCS program.

Michigan just has 4-5 star players up and down their team, including 2nd and 3rd string. We have a shot against them but they could make it messy if our lines on both sides don't play well.

I don't think we have "too many" Ash players remaining, just that under Ash we just had "too few" legit players. Several of the Ash recruits are keys to our success: Korsak, B. Melton, Fatukasi, Fogg, Av. Young, Jones, Krimin, Bordner, etc.

But Schiano has also been busy plugging in the gaps. Transfers: Vedral, Cruickshank, Haskins, Lewis, Maijeh, Sanders, Ahanotu (and last year, Dwumfour). Commits: M. Melton, Monangai, Pierce, Palliant, Wright-Collins.

We're still in a rebuilding phase, and looking forward to other Schiano commits developing in the program and stepping up next season and the following. It's been pretty clear that Schiano is much better at both a) crafting a roster, and b) coaching them up.

I agree 100%, but I don’t care if Vince Lombardi was our coach.
I’m fearful Michigan will run all over us and our offensive line will be completely overwhelmed.
Don’t have to tell you the result of that scenario.
I’m not predicting it or warning anyone, I’m simply fearful of it.
Call me anything you want, call me a bad fan, call me part of the culture problem.
If and when I’m reminded at the end of the game I shouldn’t have been afraid because of the result, I’ll be very happy.
GO RU
beaced ALWAYS want you to BE HAPPY..

I think it will be a tall task but that’s why they play the games.

Look at Nebraska going into Oklahoma this past weekend…lost by 7 and they were still their bumbling selves at times. There was a potential of 9 point swing in that game with 2 missed FGs and a blocked XP returned for 2pts.

Who would’ve thought that game would be that close or low scoring going into it. Tough hill to climb for sure but never know. Frankly, overall this year I’d say no team comes off as unbeatable. In the end we may still see the same faces but none of them seem like they can’t lose.

Reactions: beaced
I don't think we have "too many" Ash players remaining, just that under Ash we just had "too few" legit players. Several of the Ash recruits are keys to our success: Korsak, B. Melton, Fatukasi, Fogg, Av. Young, Jones, Krimin, Bordner, etc.

But Schiano has also been busy plugging in the gaps. Transfers: Vedral, Cruickshank, Haskins, Lewis, Maijeh, Sanders, Ahanotu (and last year, Dwumfour). Commits: M. Melton, Monangai, Pierce, Palliant, Wright-Collins.

We're still in a rebuilding phase, and looking forward to other Schiano commits developing in the program and stepping up next season and the following. It's been pretty clear that Schiano is much better at both a) crafting a roster, and b) coaching them up. QUOTE This year is GREG II. He took them to the wire in GREG I. They are better than last year AND so is RU. PLAY the game. What will be will be.(beaced has spoken.)

Reactions: czxqa
The line play is going to out major test and potential obstacle this game ...both ways

No doubt about it...major test Saturday on how much we have progressed ...and an (but not the Only ) indicator on how far we have to to go to catch up the the big guys in the big ten East

When you play programs like this, it usually comes down to the quality of depth they throw at you. GS has done a good job building more quality depth at RU in a short period of time, but it's not at UM's level. He would probably be the first to tell you that too- still more work to be done. But, you still have to play the game.

Is it the line play really ? Or lack of a lead blocker in the backfield. Hard to block 7or8 defenders with 5 OL. LB's are blowing up run attack. Trust Gleeson to out scheme 8 man fronts.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Many people are talking about the improvement of our OL in the Delaware game. Given the level of competition, and given we had trouble sustaining drives with the run (and our OL looked soft to me), count me as expecting a long day at the Big House. Not a blowout, but not a close game. Hope I'm wrong.
The OL did appear soft against Cuse and somewhat times on Saturday.
Hoping we are not overweight and out of shape. This game will show us a lot.

I’m fearful Michigan will run all over us and our offensive line will be completely overwhelmed.
Call me anything you want, call me a bad fan, call me part of the culture problem.
If and when I’m reminded at the end of the game I shouldn’t have been afraid because of the result, I’ll be very happy.
GO RU

Watching tOSU these 3 weeks, they have to smell blood in the water and this is their chance at all they were promised with the Harbaugh hiring. They’re going to come prepared.

Win, Lose, or Draw I just want those Wolverines to know they were in a FIGHT with the Scarlet Knights! If we play with maximum effort, play clean and smart, and still come up short, then a tip of the cap to the Blue Bloods.

But I'm a "hope springs eternal" kind of guy and am not scared, worried, or any other descriptor.

I think we're a lot better than people think and Michigan isn't as good as people think.

We will know where both teams stand after the game.

EDITED TO ADD: I was at the game in Happy Valley in 1988 when EVERYONE said we'd lose and we didn't...that's why they play the games!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that most of the Michigan players still think they’re going to blow us out. So, while Michigan may think this year is their shot at the East, I don’t think they’re looking at us as a real threat (even after last year). And, with Wisconsin the following week, I really like this spot for us.

There is no doubt in my mind that most of the Michigan players still think they’re going to blow us out. So, while Michigan may think this year is their shot at the East, I don’t think they’re looking at us as a real threat (even after last year). And, with Wisconsin the following week, I really like this spot for us.
It sets up well in that regard. On the other hand, they still remember last year and triple OT and might have something to prove. Who knows? We'll see!

Reactions: bitnez
OK, clearly for you: Chris Ash is not here anymore. There may be cause for concern with what we've shown given the competition, but there's no 78-0 in the cards for Saturday.
I don't think 78-0 is at all likely either. But I also wouldn't be entirely shocked if we get shut out and beaten by 50 points. I won't be shocked if we keep it within one score either.

I just don't yet have enough of a feel for the quality of our team versus the quality of our Big Ten competition this season.

Last edited:
A competitive loss will note disappoint me, both this week and next. We continue to build our program. Call us 3-2. Then, what should/could reasonably happen is:

Split the next 4. MI State, @ NWestern, @Ill (after a bye), WI. (we could win 3, but let's call it 2) We're at 5-4.

Win one out of @IN, @PA State, MD.

6-6, going to a bowl in year 2. Comfortable calling that a successful year. Reasonable?

Northwestern, Illinois and Maryland are must wins. Best shot of getting a 7th win is @ Indiana. A couple more losses and the Hoosiers may fold their tents for the year.

And while I don't see another 78-0 game in the works, no one was predicting that back 5 years ago either. The line was Michigan -29.

Last edited:
I like what Schiano said today, "Michigan isn't the same team as last year and we aren't either". This is a good game to see where Rutgers is right now. I think everyone knows that the line is not very good. But it wasn't good last year either and somehow Gleeson figured out ways to score so let's see what he does against Michigan.
And the defensive backs and LB's are all solid players. They'll be fine. The question will be whether or not the Dline can hold up.
And we still have solid special teams and Korsak can flip a field so there's that which helps. If we're competitive, it's a step in the right direction.
And I agree that people need to stop with "Ash's players". Ash was an idiot who got nothing out his players because he put nothing into them. His staff should have been working at McDonalds.

I like what Schiano said today, "Michigan isn't the same team as last year and we aren't either". This is a good game to see where Rutgers is right now. I think everyone knows that the line is not very good. But it wasn't good last year either and somehow Gleeson figured out ways to score so let's see what he does against Michigan.
And the defensive backs and LB's are all solid players. They'll be fine. The question will be whether or not the Dline can hold up.
And we still have solid special teams and Korsak can flip a field so there's that which helps. If we're competitive, it's a step in the right direction.
And I agree that people need to stop with "Ash's players". Ash was an idiot who got nothing out his players because he put nothing into them. His staff should have been working at McDonalds.
How dare you insult Andy Buh like that.

GO RU
Sadly that’s likely going to be the outcome. Expecting anything else sets one up for pain and frustration. We simply aren’t there yet. We will win several B1G games this season, just not this one. Hope we compete for all four quarters and give ourselves a shot to steal it but I’m not holding my breath.

This is why I'm happy we had the game at the Dome. I think the team got a little rattled early on with the crowd noise - they hadn't played in front of opposing fans for 21 months. Having that experience might inoculate them a bit, especially knowing that the Big House will have 2-3x that many fans in attendance.
Having attend games at both stadiums multiple times, a half full Dome is much louder then a full Big House.

Not only is Ash not here- he's been replaced by Schiano.

That's a pretty big swing in opposite directions.

Schiano has a knack for big games and getting our guys up to play them.

Michigan is in for a fight.

One day our best will be good enough to beat the best (again).

That day is every Saturday... and the occasional Thursday and Friday.

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
If you can't stop the Blue consistently, I can't realistically see Rutgers stopping the Maize. I was hoping by now this team would put a complete 60 minute effort together in all 3 phases. They have not. Michigan looks much better this year.

So hope springs eternal, however the tale of this season will likely be, can we end the losing streak at 2. I would be more hopeful, if the effort was consistent these first 3 games. This team looks like they take plays off to me. That is never a good sign.

Michigan always looks better until they get punched in the nose. And then they break. They are mentally weak until they prove otherwise.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I’m not concerned, worried, or afraid of losing. I think we’re a decent team, yet I had a bit of a fools-gold feeling after each of our first 3 wins.

So I just hope UM doesn’t completely bust our bubble.

I’d love to see us within 2 scores, in the 4th quarter, with the ball, 5 minutes left. I’ll be happy knowing we were in striking distance.

Reactions: wheezer
OK, clearly for you: Chris Ash is not here anymore. There may be cause for concern with what we've shown given the competition, but there's no 78-0 in the cards for Saturday.
Right, put it on the board for motivation. How could this be misconstrued?

When you play programs like this, it usually comes down to the quality of depth they throw at you. GS has done a good job building more quality depth at RU in a short period of time, but it's not at UM's level. He would probably be the first to tell you that too- still more work to be done. But, you still have to play the game.
UM’s level. If I recall correctly, they weren’t exactly a juggernaut last year.

This early season makes it very difficult to know how good Mich is. At first- it is easy to say they really haven’t been tested but then you look at the 3 they beat and all three have also had at least 1 good win. So, have they heated good teams or bad teams.
So- the only way I can even make a guess would be we fall somewhere in the middle and hope we are actually better then the three they beat. So, I go in assuming the score somewhere between 31 and 60. But think it will be around 40. And we score in that 10-14 range. And hope we maybe do get a huge TO and a big ST’s play.
I just don’t think it looks good but on the other hand, I didn’t expect last year either.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT