ADVERTISEMENT

Spacing

darkcheck

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2022
Many on here question the sets we do or don’t run. Some the lack of an “offensive coordinator”. Some the lack of a big man coach. Some the lack of offensive talent and development. All spot on. However, I think our offensive woes go deeper. Spacing is offense 101, and our guys don’t understand it. I’m serious. Where does this fault lie? When they played in HS and before surely they all were drilled and taught spacing and it’s importance. I’m sure the coaches recruited players they safely could assume understood spacing. Did the players just have a mind wipe? Too many times this yes, in person, on tv, fast break or half court, the spacing is awful. Makes me afraid that even with more talent, even with a big man coach, etc. we have a much more fundamental problem.

Many on here question the sets we do or don’t run. Some the lack of an “offensive coordinator”. Some the lack of a big man coach. Some the lack of offensive talent and development. All spot on. However, I think our offensive woes go deeper. Spacing is offense 101, and our guys don’t understand it. I’m serious. Where does this fault lie? When they played in HS and before surely they all were drilled and taught spacing and it’s importance. I’m sure the coaches recruited players they safely could assume understood spacing. Did the players just have a mind wipe? Too many times this yes, in person, on tv, fast break or half court, the spacing is awful. Makes me afraid that even with more talent, even with a big man coach, etc. we have a much more fundamental problem.
I wouldn’t overthink it. We are one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country. There’s no spacing involved No sets involved. No defense. And we are terrible. Add to that we have one guard that can get to the basket and he’s only been with the team for 6 games or something. The problem is the roster.

Reactions: darkcheck
I think the spacing is fine. There’s room for the guards to drive. But they’re hunting for their own shots and aren’t looking for other open or cutting players.

It’s gotten to the point that the other players don’t bother trying to get open anymore when the guards make their iso plays.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I think the spacing is fine. There’s room for the guards to drive. But they’re hunting for their own shots and aren’t looking for other open or cutting players.

It’s gotten to the point that the other players don’t bother trying to get open anymore when the guards make their iso plays.
That’s not all there is to it. I’m seeing driving into each other. Players bumping into each other without the ball at the same elbow. Two players in the corner at the same time. Fast breaks with two rim runners running alongside the ball handler getting into the paint, no one wide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT