ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino shame

No one cares what Pitino has done outside of basketball. It's about the now....winning. He's the NY darling right now. Press and media are fawning over him. he got it done in 1 year with guys not even playing together so all that crap talk about guys have to gel next year at RU is exactly that...crap
Please, it’s always a roll of the dice about how guys respond. I think he probably should’ve ripped them behind closed doors and not to the media. I think it worked because they had a favorable schedule down the stretch to build confidence. Don’t forget that the next game out they barely beat GT and gave up 86. Good for them, but let’s not pretend this is a blueprint for success for everyone.

Please, it’s always a roll of the dice about how guys respond. I think he probably should’ve ripped them behind closed doors and not to the media. I think it worked because they had a favorable schedule down the stretch to build confidence. Don’t forget that the next game out they barely beat GT and gave up 86. Good for them, but let’s not pretend this is a blueprint for success for everyone.
The guy is a hall of fame coach. He knew what he was doing

Reactions: RUBOB72
Rick Pitino knows how to win, that's what fans of schools want.
If he's on the other side, he's scum, but not that bad if he's the HC of the school you root for.
Look at the college coaching landscape , those that get in trouble and terminated for it are out of the game if they aren't proven winners.
But if they have a reputation as a winner, as soon as they are eligible to coach again >magically rehabilitated and hired , because they deserve another chance.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The guy is a hall of fame coach. He knew what he was doing
Not interested in arguing with you - because you’re in that mode. He got a little lucky but knew there was upside ripping them when they were heading into the sisters of the poor portion of the schedule. Still shouldn’t have done that to the media and kept it behind locker room doors. I will always stand behind that. But it was self promotion on his part and I know fanboys love that.

Not interested in arguing with you - because you’re in that mode. He got a little lucky but knew there was upside ripping them when they were heading into the sisters of the poor portion of the schedule. Still shouldn’t have done that to the media and kept it behind locker room doors. I will always stand behind that. But it was self promotion on his part and I know fanboys love that.
Of course not . Because I am usually right.
So no reason to argue.
Let us trust Rick pitino knows more about the motivation of college basketball players than posters on this board.

Reactions: RUBOB72 and toby83
Rick Pitino knows how to win, that's what fans of schools want.
If he's on the other side, he's scum, but not that bad if he's the HC of the school you root for.
Look at the college coaching landscape , those that get in trouble and terminated for it are out of the game if they aren't proven winners.
But if they have a reputation as a winner, as soon as they are eligible to coach again >magically rehabilitated and hired , because they deserve another chance.
Your first sentence was fine . The rest of it you can delete.

Reactions: RUBOB72
So no reason to argue.
Let us trust Rick pitino knows more about the motivation of college basketball players than posters on this board.
Yeah alright, raise the money to go hire him. Now can you STFUP? It’s funny that you responded to my post with this drec.

Yeah alright, raise the money to go hire him. Now can you STFUP? It’s funny that you responded to my post with this drec.
I didnt say Rutgers should hire him. I said he knows more about motivating college basketball players than the people on this board.
The guy is a great , and you’re arguing.
You’re a big boy and solid poster ; take the loss here and move on

I didnt say Rutgers should hire him. I said he knows more about motivating college basketball players than the people on this board.
The guy is a great , and you’re arguing.
You’re a big boy and solid poster ; take the loss here and move on
Go to bed. Sleep it off. And talk to me tomorrow. This third person thing with you is way past old and it’s really strange.

Your first sentence was fine . The rest of it you can delete.
nah, think what I posted just fine and the truth.
Some might want to talk about just the wins, it's alright to do that but don't expect everyone to disregard the rest.

So no reason to argue.
Even great coaches make mistakes, and I’m not speaking of his moral trangressions.

The end didn’t necessarily justify/validate his means.

And I think he crapped on his players more as an excuse for losing than to motivate them. Same reason he also crapped on SJU facilities and its NIL bank.

So either way the season ended for him he had a built-in self serving narrative

Reactions: runrutgersrun
He got it done. His team looked very well coached and they could actually shoot
Had to come back just to see some of the replies after he just beat a tourney team now too. (yeah the one we beat away earlier in the season who would have crushed us now).
Personal stuff aside the man can build and coach. Just barely beat us in the scrimmage right? Would be very insightful to see them play us again now. Both them and SH.

No one cares what Pitino has done outside of basketball. It's about the now....winning. He's the NY darling right now. Press and media are fawning over him. he got it done in 1 year with guys not even playing together so all that crap talk about guys have to gel next year at RU is exactly that...crap
Tell em Pea

they had a favorable schedule down the stretch to build confidence.
Hey Pete my man. So did we.
Sometimes a bomb has to go off to get folks attention. (Go ask Ohio State too). Even if it is a Stink bomb :)

Hey Pete my man. So did we.
Sometimes a bomb has to go off to get folks attention. (Go ask Ohio State too). Even if it is a Stink bomb :)
I'm not discussing us. Why do posters always do that? Not making excuses for RU at all, just trying to put the whole Pitino thing in perspective.

I'm not discussing us. Why do posters always do that? Not making excuses for RU at all, just trying to put the whole Pitino thing in perspective.
I didn't say you were. But you're poo-pooing the teams performance down the stretch like it is a guarantee of his success and I am just giving you the counter example. It just happens to be US.

People on this board had the gall to question a hall of fame coach ….and then the tactic they questioned worked like a charm. The blowhards earlier in this thread were clueless to begin with

People on this board had the gall to question a hall of fame coach ….and then the tactic they questioned worked like a charm. The blowhards earlier in this thread were clueless to begin with
Calm down. I think Rick has demonstrated that he is not above being questioned during his hall of fame career.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
LOL, credit to his coaching prowess and motivation ability, but saying he shouldn't be questioned because of his status makes no sense at all.
Unless you're intimated by the best in their profession and feel inadequate compared to them .
In today's sports world winners are treated like gods and have their own groupies
declaring they can do no wrong when someone has the audacity to question an action that god like HC made

I agree Bob. But we still need to look at the schedule. Great win at home vs. ranked Creighton, an okay win over middling Butler, then wins over bottom feeders. If Pike did that some of our “fans” would be picking that apart and crapping all over it.
I waited to see what reaction the Johnnie’s would have with the “ under the bus “ display by Pitino . It evidently has worked better than Steve Pikiell’s “ we played hard and we’ll be fine… these guys I’m proud of them.” We’ll still support Pikiell but a much needed change is in the offing…We hope. Losing 7 of 8 down the stretch is not acceptable.

LOL, credit to his coaching prowess and motivation ability, but saying he shouldn't be questioned because of his status makes no sense at all.
Unless you're intimated by the best in their profession and feel inadequate compared to them .
In today's sports world winners are treated like gods and have their own groupies
declaring they can do no wrong when someone has the audacity to question an action that god like HC made
His status? BWAAAAAA!!!!

I waited to see what reaction the Johnnie’s would have with the “ under the bus “ display by Pitino . It evidently has worked better than Steve Pikiell’s “ we played hard and we’ll be fine… these guys I’m proud of them.” We’ll still support Pikiell but a much needed change is in the offing…We hope. Losing 7 of 8 down the stretch is not acceptable.
I don't care if coaches rip their players a new one on occasion, just don't agree with doing it in the press. It appears to have worked in this case, but even he walked it back a couple of days after he did it.

I don't care if coaches rip their players a new one on occasion, just don't agree with doing it in the press. It appears to have worked in this case, but even he walked it back a couple of days after he did it.
That is old school nonsense Pete. I would bet he tried a number of other tactics to motivate them. When those failed he did what many others pre NIL did… whole new era.

That is old school nonsense Pete. I would bet he tried a number of other tactics to motivate them. When those failed he did what many others pre NIL did… whole new era.
But Slick did do it and the kiddies all survived the tongue lashings.

Pete everyone else is comparing coaching styles between Petino and Pikiell… the only thing comparable at season’s ending was their last names start with the letter P.

But Slick did do it and the kiddies all survived the tongue lashings.
You just quoted yourself. I don’t think I have seen that before. Anyway, I was done with this thread for awhile. Are you done with my posts yet? I get it - everyone loves Rick. Don’t agree with what he did but it worked out, even though he did apologize for it. Tip my cap to them and I’ll enjoy watching the 5:30 game.

It would appear most did want to play for that bad man.😜
And I still don't get why anyone would want to play for a coach that talks about his team like that. Good for them if they want to be a part of it.

It really is a great game. Not sure both teams can keep up this pace, we’ll see. Jenkins and Newton - damn!

Reactions: RUsojo
And I still don't get why anyone would want to play for a coach that talks about his team like that. Good for them if they want to be a part of it.
Perhaps there are still players out there that have the balls and want to be challenged and called out when under performing.

They get motivated by it (clearly this case) vs. go hinding in a corner.

Guess we'll see how many players want to come I. Next year after all this. My guess is a lot.

Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT