ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino shame

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Rick Pitino threw his players under the bus. Rick took names. Look at the Pitino comments below.

At the UBS, Shaheen out coached Naismith Hall of Famer Rick Pitino at every moment.

Pitino called the Seton Hall players tough, while lambasting his own team’s lack of it.

“We just lack toughness...we don’t move our feet on defense,” he said. “It’s really all the toughness things where we give up big leads.”

Pitino called this a “lost season” due to recruiting.

“We kind of lost this season with the way we recruited,” he said. “We recruited the antithesis of the way I coach. It’s a good group, they try hard, but they’re just not very tough.”

He specifically praised Pirates point guard Kadary Richmond and the toughness of the Pirates.

“Every one of his kids are really, really tough,” he said of Pirates coach Shaheen Holloway, whose team is tied for third in the Big East after being picked to finish ninth in the 11-team league. “Every one of them....Their staff did very good job, we did not do a good job [in the portal].”

Pitino has said he targeted offensive-oriented players in the portal, but is now paying the price on defense. The team has blown halftime leads in its last four games.

“It’s not the job,” he said. “You could be at Missouri and recruit slow players. Believe me, it’s not St. John’s. We had to put together a team at the last second. We will never, ever, do that again.”

He compared St. John’s to DePaul and Georgetown, two teams that are a combined 1-27 in the BIg East this year.

“I’ve been disappointed the entire year,” he said. “I’m sure Ed Cooley is disappointed. I’m sure the DePaul coach is disappointed. When you lose, everybody’s disappointed.”

To make matters worse, several former St. John’s players are excelling elsewhere, including AJ Storr, who is averaging 16.5 points at Wisconsin while shooting 43% from deep.

“I tried to get AJ Storr, I tried to get others,” Pitino said. “There were circumstances that had to be done over, that were out of my control. We had to bite the bullet and clean certain things out, academically as well as athletically. It’s what had to be done to start over.

Last edited:
The most ironic part is that he basically overhauled the entire roster yet has now come to the conclusion that the team is not capable of playing the style he prefers. Maybe he should have kept more guys like Storers who went to Wisconsin and plays a style he seems to be looking for.

In years' past, these types of comments were INTENDED to light a fire under his team, to piss them off and get them to play the way he wants to play. But there's two things conspiring against Ricky P that will likely prevent that message from having much impact with current players:

First, he used to have the benefit of kids being in his programs for 3-4 years, knowing his culture and playing style, and they knew him and so his message would resonate. But with one-year rentals/hired guns, it's much more unlikely that he has sufficient relationships with these kids to coax the toughness from them.

Second, I'm not sure "today's" 18-21 year-old college kids actually respond to these sort of diatribes. In the past, when players looked up to coaches and mostly did what they asked in order to ingratiate themselves to get playing time, it might have worked. Today? Much less likely with this generation, who are easily insulted, know they can complain and file lawsuits and, now, have the upper hand with the threat of transferring with NIL. I know that's a generalization, and there are certainly kids who respond to tough love, but on the whole, I'm just not sure it works anymore for many kids.

Such a shame.
I’m guessing you mean…

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Here’s the real question for me. Why should we have expected anything more from Slick Rick? He just now found out his team “ lacked “ the intangibles he listed ? In a world which sadly lacks accountability this guy is right there along with many in the news daily.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If they come out next game and light it up media will be all over that storyline. “ .” Slick Rick motivates team to dominate performance.…Rick heeps praise on his players for answering his challenge… loves them all.”

Reactions: mikeyo
Are they still on track to make the NCAA Tournament?
I thought their big Ivy League transfer Dingle was going to propel them to a quick bounce back to a tournament team? Is that not actually happening now?

Rick Pitino threw his players under the bus. Rick took names. Look at the Pitino comments below.

At the UBS, Shaheen out coached Naismith Hall of Famer Rick Pitino at every moment.

Pitino called the Seton Hall players tough, while lambasting his own team’s lack of it.

“We just lack toughness...we don’t move our feet on defense,” he said. “It’s really all the toughness things where we give up big leads.”

Pitino called this a “lost season” due to recruiting.

“We kind of lost this season with the way we recruited,” he said. “We recruited the antithesis of the way I coach. It’s a good group, they try hard, but they’re just not very tough.”

He specifically praised Pirates point guard Kadary Richmond and the toughness of the Pirates.

“Every one of his kids are really, really tough,” he said of Pirates coach Shaheen Holloway, whose team is tied for third in the Big East after being picked to finish ninth in the 11-team league. “Every one of them....Their staff did very good job, we did not do a good job [in the portal].”

Pitino has said he targeted offensive-oriented players in the portal, but is now paying the price on defense. The team has blown halftime leads in its last four games.

“It’s not the job,” he said. “You could be at Missouri and recruit slow players. Believe me, it’s not St. John’s. We had to put together a team at the last second. We will never, ever, do that again.”

He compared St. John’s to DePaul and Georgetown, two teams that are a combined 1-27 in the BIg East this year.

“I’ve been disappointed the entire year,” he said. “I’m sure Ed Cooley is disappointed. I’m sure the DePaul coach is disappointed. When you lose, everybody’s disappointed.”

To make matters worse, several former St. John’s players are excelling elsewhere, including AJ Storr, who is averaging 16.5 points at Wisconsin while shooting 43% from deep.

“I tried to get AJ Storr, I tried to get others,” Pitino said. “There were circumstances that had to be done over, that were out of my control. We had to bite the bullet and clean certain things out, academically as well as athletically. It’s what had to be done to start over.
I’m surprised he did not say Chris Mullin, Peal Washington and Walter Berry are not walking through that door.

Reactions: rutger80
In years' past, these types of comments were INTENDED to light a fire under his team, to piss them off and get them to play the way he wants to play. But there's two things conspiring against Ricky P that will likely prevent that message from having much impact with current players:

First, he used to have the benefit of kids being in his programs for 3-4 years, knowing his culture and playing style, and they knew him and so his message would resonate. But with one-year rentals/hired guns, it's much more unlikely that he has sufficient relationships with these kids to coax the toughness from them.

Second, I'm not sure "today's" 18-21 year-old college kids actually respond to these sort of diatribes. In the past, when players looked up to coaches and mostly did what they asked in order to ingratiate themselves to get playing time, it might have worked. Today? Much less likely with this generation, who are easily insulted, know they can complain and file lawsuits and, now, have the upper hand with the threat of transferring with NIL. I know that's a generalization, and there are certainly kids who respond to tough love, but on the whole, I'm just not sure it works anymore for many kids.
Not sure I agree. I think Holloway calls his players out all the time. I've heard him do it in front of the team during time outs. He's pretty old school and doesn't seem to take much crap. He's also an outstanding coach. That team isn't that talented. Izzo is another throwback who seems to be treating kids the same as he always has. I don't think most successful coaches are worrying about NIL or kids transferring when they get on a kid or call him out.

Are they still on track to make the NCAA Tournament?
I thought their big Ivy League transfer Dingle was going to propel them to a quick bounce back to a tournament team? Is that not actually happening now?
Haha-- tell that to that " expert" from Connecticut who loves the Ivies. Me, we are lucky to have Pike. The shyt some espouse around here about stuff is such just that especially about Pike and even Schiano.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree. I think Holloway calls his players out all the time. I've heard him do it in front of the team during time outs. He's pretty old school and doesn't seem to take much crap. He's also an outstanding coach. That team isn't that talented. Izzo is another throwback who seems to be treating kids the same as he always has. I don't think most successful coaches are worrying about NIL or kids transferring when they get on a kid or call him out.

Agreed but many of them have track records and long contracts . Young guys in their first job and they're in Year 3 or 4 and they're struggling. Those guys may not.

the big mistake Pitino made was attacking St. John's facilities. That was dumb and uncalled for. St. johns is paying him alot of money. Shouldnt bite the hand that feeds you.

What he said about the players is perfectly fine. They are hired guns who arent playing up to their salary and most likely will be gone next year either to graduation or being recruited over. How much did st.johns pay to put this team together? $4-$5M?

Once again we are trying to treat professionals athletes like children. These kids are big boys.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT