ADVERTISEMENT

Primary Issue

The big whif was Noah. Pike was screwed by Paul and Cam late in process. However, Noah was a shockingly bad whif.

Actually, he also whiffed on a competent big man to play the 4/5. Perhaps he thought Wolf would step up clearly he thought wrong.

Huge offseason coming up to ensure we have a roster around Dylan/Ace that can compete and make a run.
The only portal player he has hit on so far is Yeboah, and that's because he coached him at Stony Brook.

Also why does Pike play 12 guys? He is too nice sometimes. A Williams, Palmquist, and Woolfolk should never see the floor. We’ve all watched Palmquist play and even if he makes some 3s he is brutal on defense. The starters aren’t good but does Pike think magically that the bench players, who are on the bench for a reason will just start playing better than the guys ahead of them?

Also why does Pike play 12 guys? He is too nice sometimes. A Williams, Palmquist, and Woolfolk should never see the floor. We’ve all watched Palmquist play and even if he makes some 3s he is brutal on defense. The starters aren’t good but does Pike think magically that the bench players, who are on the bench for a reason will just start playing better than the guys ahead of them?
You couldn't be more wrong about Palmquist's D. Is he lock down? No. But there is a reason Pike trusts him to guard multiple positions and he plays Pikes skelter help D well. His defensive numbers are similar to everyone else the team this year. Fernandes, Gavin, and both Williams are guys whose defensive ratings are worse than Palm's this year. He's bad rebounder because he concentrates more on boxing out than attacking the ball, which makes defense seem bad.

You couldn't be more wrong about Palmquist's D. Is he lock down? No. But there is a reason Pike trusts him to guard multiple positions and he plays Pikes skelter help D well. His defensive numbers are similar to everyone else the team this year. Fernandes, Gavin, and both Williams are guys whose defensive ratings are worse than Palm's this year. He's bad rebounder because he concentrates more on boxing out than attacking the ball, which makes defense seem bad.
Maybe he plays good help D but he can’t guard anyone good. He doesn’t belong on a Big Ten court and that’s pretty obvious in my opinion

Reactions: mugrat86
Agree with this. He’s not a tomato can on D like Wolf and GG, two players even softer than Reiber was (which I didn’t think was actually possible).

Oskar is a perfectly fine Big10 backup. He’s OK playing D in the paint. Not great but not useless. Plus he is a decent 3 pt shooter. He’d get minutes on other teams.

Oscar's D is weak but 10x stronger than it was just last year. He sets a terrible pick, does not chase down his share of loose balls, turns down open shots, settles too much, too often in the corner, but his D has climbed to the low side of average. He's now willing to contest shots and feed drivers into Cliff. I think he is actually the main contestant for The Most Improved award at the end of the year dinner.

Spencer?
Jacob Young?

How do you presume to talk about anything while being this ignorant?
And don’t believe Yeboah even played for Pike as I think he recruited him but never actually coached him. Could be wrong here but thought that’s they way I remembered it

Reactions: fluoxetine
Oskar is way too slow to guard perimeter guys and way too weak to handle inside players

Yet Pike has him do both. Also, Palm isn't weak, now he's not a brute, but the kid isn't weak.
The point is he’s definitely not a guy who would be getting minutes anyway else in conference. He transferred to Elon for goodness sake

Yes, and I look at him like the 13th man he's supposed to be, not the 7th man role he's taking on.
The thirteenth man on a team who is a fifth year player is not a BIG1G caliber player. Especially given that the best team he could transfer to is not even a mid major

The thirteenth man on a team who is a fifth year player is not a BIG1G caliber player. Especially given that the best team he could transfer to is not even a mid major
That say more about him or the RU roster? He was asked to come back to a B1G program no matter what options he had.

lmao show us more how little college basketball you consume. The 5 spot is terrible around the country.

I don’t think you understand how bad we would be without Cliff as an anchor
After the Maryland game I can't see how this team could be any worse. And that was with Cliff.

I also wrote want a big man who can shoot. If he can make a five foot shot then yes I want him back. I am not the only one who wrote this about Cliff. Goru wrote that also. And also Jay Young coming back.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
That say more about him or the RU roster? He was asked to come back to a B1G program no matter what options he had.
Yes it’s a bad team no doubt but doesn’t change the fact that he is playing in a league above his talent level

The big whif was Noah. Pike was screwed by Paul and Cam late in process. However, Noah was a shockingly bad whif.

Actually, he also whiffed on a competent big man to play the 4/5. Perhaps he thought Wolf would step up clearly he thought wrong.

Huge offseason coming up to ensure we have a roster around Dylan/Ace that can compete and make a run.
Agree on Noah, I picked him as the biggest disappointment overall in the poll in other thread. Yes bigger than GG who I figured would be below average on D but did expect much better scoring. Part of that could again be on Noah not being the veteran game manager and ball distributor that would benefit a frosh like GG.

Not true.Cam Spencer was a very good pick but was under utilized because of the woeful half court offense.His talent is being shown at UConn.
Sorry this under utilized comment is nonsense. Per 40 minutes cam is averaging 1.7 more points mainly on slightly better shooting percentage which is more due to not being the focus of the defense and being surrounded by great offensive players versus anything else. It’s not like he wasn’t good at rutgers.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RU84
Sorry this under utilized comment is nonsense. Per 40 minutes cam is averaging 1.7 more points mainly on slightly better shooting percentage which is more due to not being the focus of the defense and being surrounded by great offensive players versus anything else. It’s not like he wasn’t good at rutgers.
His usage is actually lower at UConn than it was ly at RU

Agree on Noah, I picked him as the biggest disappointment overall in the poll in other thread. Yes bigger than GG who I figured would be below average on D but did expect much better scoring. Part of that could again be on Noah not being the veteran game manager and ball distributor that would benefit a frosh like GG.
Or maybe Noah, who was coming off a serious injury that ended his season last year, never fully recovered.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Reading through this string - it’s amazing how some of you want to kick defense focus to the curb based on this team as some kind of empirical evidence that this approach can’t work.

How does such a large chunk of our fan base not get how atypically awful our offense is? This year is an outlier - not the norm. Caleb McConnell was the guy you same folks cringed over having too high a usage rate last year right? Our DPOY star was the guy you “tolerated” on offense. Remember him? His offense would be a welcome addition to this team and not by a small margin. Think about that. His 9.1 ppg (playing very few games against the cupcakes) at a shooting percentage of 39.5%. Better than all our guards - every one - and he was the stand out liability last year in the backcourt. We had Simpson - but he was a back up most of the season - and with more efficient offensive guards like Cam and Paul diverting attention he wasn’t quite as inefficient then.

This year’s team is just really, really, really bad at putting the ball in the basket. Historically so. Forget the 3s. You’d have to go back really far to find a team that connected on a lower percentage of total shots than our current team. This has nothing to do with a defensive approach not working because we have years and years of other Pike teams as data with far less inefficent offenses while prioritizing D.

Reading through this string - it’s amazing how some of you want to kick defense focus to the curb based on this team as some kind of empirical evidence that this approach can’t work.

How does such a large chunk of our fan base not get how atypically awful our offense is? This year is an outlier - not the norm. Caleb McConnell was the guy you same folks cringed over having too high a usage rate last year right? Our DPOY star was the guy you “tolerated” on offense. Remember him? His offense would be a welcome addition to this team and not by a small margin. Think about that. His 9.1 ppg (playing very few games against the cupcakes) at a shooting percentage of 39.5%. Better than all our guards - every one - and he was the stand out liability last year in the backcourt. We had Simpson - but he was a back up most of the season - and with more efficient offensive guards like Cam and Paul diverting attention he wasn’t quite as inefficient then.

This year’s team is just really, really, really bad at putting the ball in the basket. Historically so. Forget the 3s. You’d have to go back really far to find a team that connected on a lower percentage of total shots than our current team. This has nothing to do with a defensive approach not working because we have years and years of other Pike teams as data with far less inefficent offenses while prioritizing D.
Yup, this. Defense is a route to winning. This years team seems to work hard at taking and not making bad shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT