ADVERTISEMENT

Primary Issue

Do you think that after spending four years @ RU it is reasonable to expect that the coaches would have improved his understanding of how to play basketball? I don't think he would have a shortage of opportunities if he chose to investigate what was out there.
Yes. Who ever let him spend an offseason shooting 3s is an idiot.

This is a selfish team with no leadership from the bench
Too many players trying to get there own shots without the ability to do so
When Gavin or Oscar are in the game
Players need to know that we want to get them looks
I wonder if the players don't like Gavin
He is open way more then he gets the ball
Either way , this team is horrible to watch

Next season could be lonelier for Gavin. Ace and Dylan are not pass-first offensive players. When Gavin is standing alone outside the arc, he will enjoy a great view of the Ace and Dylan show.
He plays like he is 5'10 not 6'8. Needs to eat weight and some mean pills this off-season and get his ass inside the 3 point line.

Reactions: satnom
We cannot reduce Gavin Griffiths production to a catch and shoot player, that is reliant on others to find him shots....Gavin has shooting ability, but his talent level is beyond a stationery shooter...he has to create off the dribble, drive and use his length and height to drive into contact and draw fouls......and make teams pay for just defending him as a shooter.
That''s how Gavin has been playing 90% of the year though, he basically acts like a poor mans Oskar just camping out at the 3.

Reactions: winfield102
He plays like he is 5'10 not 6'8. Needs to eat weight and some mean pills this off-season and get his ass inside the 3 point line.
At least he has potential, and upside, Cliff, Simpson, Mag, wolf, adios! no upside all must go. Sit those guys the rest of the year along with Hyatt!

Reactions: RUskoolie
He’s super soft but has a lot of potential. He’s getting better imo. Hope he works hard in the weight room this off season. Some of it will come from just growing up.
I have been watching him all year like he's family. He has had a few flashes I agree. Needs to get meaner IMO.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
At least he has potential, and upside, Cliff, Simpson, Mag, wolf, adios! no upside all must go. Sit those guys the rest of the year along with Hyatt!
Agree Gavin should play a ton at this point and I am 50/50 on Derek getting pushed out but not sure if we can find a better bench player than him for next season. Cliff would be much better with competent guards.

Reactions: socaldave
Different versions of going small. The run was made w only 2 guards and 3 forwards on the court. Yes, it was small in that there were no centers.
If I could add 1 guy from the past to next years rooster I would pick Roy Hinson.
Man we could use a guy like that.
We would be a final 4 team!

Reactions: tm_nj
Mag also missed an easy kickout to Gavin. That's why I don't think you can say Oskar is clearly far better right now.
He is better, BUT Gavin is making strides. He still gets beat on D, but doesn't give up anymore and followed up for a couple late blocks today. He's also not just shooting to shoot.
Right now Palm leads the team in true shooting % and efg. That should tell you something about the team.
Hawk has a point that Mag, right now, is awful offensively, and not himself on the glass or defensively. His offensive usage is also higher than Cliff's, another obvious problem with the team.

Agree Gavin should play a ton at this point and I am 50/50 on Derek getting pushed out but not sure if we can find a better bench player than him for next season. Cliff would be much better with competent guards.
Derek could be a nice piece off the bench if he just focused on defense spot 3’s and getting shots for others. The pull up 15 footer needs to stop.

I posted in the Simpson thread, that he is trailing Simpson in every offensive category.....and I am advocating for Dylan and JWill to start next year.....

Why on earth would we continue to play a player and start that same player, who is less productive, than the player in Simpson, that I'm looking to play less minutes as the 3rd or 4th guard???. How can we ignore that obvious fact??

Simpson is being held to the same standards as Mag....fans are NOT or unwilling to listen.

The reason why?? Is because they want to believe last year didn't work because he got hurt.....and it is FALSE.....the remainder of the roster had enough players and talent to overcome Mag.

If Mag is back this year, we should see results.....you can't have it both ways......
Simpson is being criticized the way that he is because I think fans are sick and tired of Pike recruiting guards who can’t shoot.
If you go into next season with J Will, Dylan, and then don’t get a third guard who can shoot, that will be exposed. Go take a look at teams that wins. They have guards who can shoot the damn ball. It’s why UConn poached Cam Spencer. I know you know this already,
but fair or not, Simpson is playing a position where you expect more offensively.
It also doesn’t help when Pike talks about how we’re gonna be a fast team that can score or whatever the hell he said during the preseason.
As for Mag, the guy was on the verge of becoming a 10 ppg guy while also being one of the best defensive players in the conference last year. Every team usually has a guy on the court who isn’t much of a scorer but he either brings defense or rebounding to the table. When healthy, we know Mag can do that. This season he has unfortunately not played up to par.
Simpson is playing to the best of his ability, but I don’t see him as a B1G guard.
Again, he’s a guard who can’t shoot and he’s undersized.

As for last season, obviously we didn’t have enough in the tank to finish it. Another blunder by Pike was not recognizing he didn’t have enough depth going into the 2022-2023 season. It was fairly obvious if ANY of our rotational players went down it would be a problem. So what does Pike do, he adds a HS recruit in Chol who was clearly not ready and should not have reclassed.
I have no idea why you think last years Mag injury didn’t hurt our chances. We were a 5 seed before the injury and then missed the tournament. No one thought May was some sort of all world player. We looked at him as someone who brought stability and intensity to the defensive end for a team that couldn’t score. Whether it was Mag, Caleb, or Cam, any injury to last year’s team would have been devastating. The gap between the rotational guys and guys who sat last year was enormous

If I could add 1 guy from the past to next years rooster I would pick Roy Hinson.
Man we could use a guy like that.
We would be a final 4 team!
Myles is very underrated in that regard. Does everything you need a big man to do, block, box out, rebound, defend, help on the weak side...ultimate team player, think he would be up there for me

Reactions: FastMJ
Simpson is being criticized the way that he is because I think fans are sick and tired of Pike recruiting guards who can’t shoot.
If you go into next season with J Will, Dylan, and then don’t get a third guard who can shoot, that will be exposed. Go take a look at teams that wins. They have guards who can shoot the damn ball. It’s why UConn poached Cam Spencer. I know you know this already,
but fair or not, Simpson is playing a position where you expect more offensively.
It also doesn’t help when Pike talks about how we’re gonna be a fast team that can score or whatever the hell he said during the preseason.
As for Mag, the guy was on the verge of becoming a 10 ppg guy while also being one of the best defensive players in the conference last year. Every team usually has a guy on the court who isn’t much of a scorer but he either brings defense or rebounding to the table. When healthy, we know Mag can do that. This season he has unfortunately not played up to par.
Simpson is playing to the best of his ability, but I don’t see him as a B1G guard.
Again, he’s a guard who can’t shoot and he’s undersized.

As for last season, obviously we didn’t have enough in the tank to finish it. Another blunder by Pike was not recognizing he didn’t have enough depth going into the 2022-2023 season. It was fairly obvious if ANY of our rotational players went down it would be a problem. So what does Pike do, he adds a HS recruit in Chol who was clearly not ready and should not have reclassed.
I have no idea why you think last years Mag injury didn’t hurt our chances. We were a 5 seed before the injury and then missed the tournament. No one thought May was some sort of all world player. We looked at him as someone who brought stability and intensity to the defensive end for a team that couldn’t score. Whether it was Mag, Caleb, or Cam, any injury to last year’s team would have been devastating. The gap between the rotational guys and guys who sat last year was enormous
Well said
Thanks

Reactions: biazza38
The talent on this team - and there is talent - is not being maximized by Pikell and his assistants. Lack of quality coaching is our major hindrance.
It’s true, but most of the fan base is blinded because we had two bubble teams make the NCAAs and our other team was going to win a natty but Covid happened…

You have a defense first coach who doesn’t understand off ball movement is how you confuse and open up on the offensive end.

Riddle me that.
this. you would think he would take the things that he knows are the hardest to defend for his defenses and put some of it into our offensive package. Obviously personnel will dictate what you can put in but there has to be some more diversity in what we run

Listen. I was stunned by today. There was no effort. And the team can't shoot straight. But let's call it the way it is. There is no semblance of an offense. There is a bunch of freelancing. I said this in December. There is no spacing and minimal ball movement. An NBA guy watched a few games and told me the same. Steve is not running off guys in a wholesale way like Pitino. Not happening. He is too loyal. Derek will be back. As will Gavin and many others. I do believe Cliff and Mag return and really need J-Mike. But, myst add a stong offensive minded coach who can run real sets for Dylan and Ace and the others. There are guys out there who have keen offensive minds. Brett Macconnell was one,but he will be an NEC or MAAC coach. Just find the guy, re-set the offense and score the ball.
And whose fault is that in that there is no offense? It's been a problem for 6 plus years. Helen Keller can recognize it, but some think we have an offensive. I guess that may be true if street ball or playground ball is an offensive identity. Wait until next year when the "we need talent" argument goes out the window and we go 16-15 and a first round NIT loss. I guess the excuse then will be "we are a young team."

This thread is pure comedy.....

You have one legitimate threat on offense off the dribble in JWill and one player who is inconsistent on offense in Cliff.

The other starters are a frosh in JMike, a sophomore in Simpson who are not going to carry Cliff and Mag on offense.

People keep ignoring the obvious.....Mag is not a starter on any credible NCAA roster on any level. He brings LESS offense than Cliff and plays a position that requires scoring and shooting as a forward......and no credible "offensive " assistant coach anywhere would recruit or start a player with Mag's lack of skills on offense.

Team's actually do scout, you know....the amount of shots turned down because the players cannot drive or shoot (Mag), the inability to get anything off the dribble from the wing, cripples any offense....keep in mind, Hyatt isn't going to get by some defenders off the bounce, but he at least tries....and Hyatt is a much better perimeter shooter. What exactly does Mag do well on offense??? I'd love to hear this spin.....

The level of denial is at an all time high.....you cannot run any credible offense if you don't have an ability pass into the low or high post and get points or something in terms of passing to open shooters. If Cliff is at best inconsistent in the post and is not a passer, what offense can you run, with Cliff AND Mag, who is worse offensively than Cliff.

Add in Simpson and Davis and there's no coach on the planet that takes Cliff and Mag as extremely limited offensive players with nothing off the dribble or as a shooter, and makes it work.
Isn't development of the players you list on the coaches, particularly those that have been here over 5 years? Are we getting sufficient development of players that are of developmental quality. Its not like Cliff or Andre, for example, weren't P5 level players out of HS. They had to be developed to become dominant by now. Anyone seeing that?

Oskar took a charge. That’s the only GRF metric.

Not sure why people dont pass to Gavin though.
Probably because offensively you have developed an identity/culture where it’s better to go 1 on 1 and take a difficult shot vs actually keeping the ball hot and looking for a good shot…

Your Mag arrows should be aimed at our guards instead. He should not have to drive or make iso plays. that’s not his skill set. Guards are supposed to create opportunities for him. He should cut to the hoop and get passes he can convert into layups and short shots. But he never gets those passes. Either does GG. Instead our offense has them stand in the corners watching the guards f-up almost every possession.

Our guards don’t distribute, so we get virtually no frontcourt production. It’s the fault of poor backcourt play. Guards should drive, draw help defense and dish. Ours don’t, eliminating nearly all frontcourt production.
Again, no one is preventing Mag from cutting and making himself available. How is he supposed to have guards create opportunities for him, when he's not a 3 point shooter and does not cut to the basket and drive after the cut to score??

I would give him a pass if he did cut and the passes didn't get to him, but even at that stage in offense, you can to actually cut and then turn to score or shoot. What I find fascinating about this is I am in agreement that the guards need to improve.....BUT I am not on a soap box saying Davis and Simpson need to start next year.....you and others are NOT saying Mag needs fewer minutes.

What is the solution for next year....are you going to actually try and sell a bunch of nonsense, that if Mag doesn't produce and score next year with Dylan Harper and JWill as guards, that it will be Dylan Harper and JWill's fault NEXT year??? LMAO

It's like a bunch of little league parents complaining about when Johnny doesn't get to play as much as Michael does. It's always someone else's fault for someone else's lack of skill or talent I guess.....

It’s true, but most of the fan base is blinded because we had two bubble teams make the NCAAs and our other team was going to win a natty but Covid happened…
We had four NCAA tourney caliber seasons in a row. That’s impressive at most programs, especially Rutgers. There’s room to criticize the current state of the program without poo-pooing really impressive past accomplishments

We had four NCAA tourney caliber seasons in a row. That’s impressive at most programs, especially Rutgers. There’s room to criticize the current state of the program without poo-pooing really impressive past accomplishments
Outside of the Covid year, those teams were pretty average tbh. We just have an incredibly low bar here.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. In MOST seasons, if you finish top half of the B1G (aka average relative to your peers), then you make the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Again, no one is preventing Mag from cutting and making himself available. How is he supposed to have guards create opportunities for him, when he's not a 3 point shooter and does not cut to the basket and drive after the cut to score??

I would give him a pass if he did cut and the passes didn't get to him, but even at that stage in offense, you can to actually cut and then turn to score or shoot. What I find fascinating about this is I am in agreement that the guards need to improve.....BUT I am not on a soap box saying Davis and Simpson need to start next year.....you and others are NOT saying Mag needs fewer minutes.

What is the solution for next year....are you going to actually try and sell a bunch of nonsense, that if Mag doesn't produce and score next year with Dylan Harper and JWill as guards, that it will be Dylan Harper and JWill's fault NEXT year??? LMAO

It's like a bunch of little league parents complaining about when Johnny doesn't get to play as much as Michael does. It's always someone else's fault for someone else's lack of skill or talent I guess.....
Few things here…..
1. Mag isnt the same player (you predicted it)
2. This roster needs more on O out of the 4
3. Next years roster may not need O out of Mag

Mag was terrible today. Missed open players. Didnt go hard after loose balls. His rebounding numbers are way down this year.

Noah hardly played today and Griffiths was on the court for extended but his teammates failed to pass him the ball for open 3 pointers.
Do you blame them? Gavin is 4-27 in the last seven games.

He needs to make shots in the paint to boost his confidence because his outside shots are not even close at this time.

GO RU

Outside of the Covid year, those teams were pretty average tbh. We just have an incredibly low bar here.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. In MOST seasons, if you finish top half of the B1G (aka average relative to your peers), then you make the NCAA tournament.
He seems pretty similar to Schiano then, who you’re a fairly ardent supporter of.

Defensive-minded, old-school coaches who have rescued Rutgers from the abyss but seem stubborn offensively and have a low-ish ceiling .

Reactions: winfield102
The issue is that we have too many Stony Brook calibur players on this team. Simpson, Hyatt, Fernandes, A. Williams, Palmquist, Woolfork and maybe even Davis are Stony Brook calibur.
Even Stony Brook caliber players can value team ball and pass. These players hate to pass and are thus worse than Stony Brook caliber.

I posted in the Simpson thread....Mag trails Simpson in every category on offense....and I'm advocating to have Simpson be the 3rd or 4th guard....but you want to handcuff Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper, with a non-threat from 3, a non threat off the dribble and someone that does not create his own shot??

While Simpson and Davis are underclassmen, they can at least get their own shot on offense....it may not be a great shot, but if Mag doesn't create shots for others, or himself, how does he keep landing in this category as a starter??

Next year has "potential " to be exceptional IF you rework the minutes and players. The BEST case scenario next year is JWill is your FIFTH or worse offensive player on the court. There is literally NO chance to play competitive offense with Cliff AND Mag chewing up 27 to 30 minutes a game. There's no fluid offensive skill with either player.

Next year will also have the entire planet, devising game plans to slow down Dylan Harper and Ace Bailey. If you don't have competent scorers, drivers, playmakers on the floor with them, you're asking for MAJOR difficulty. There's literally no path to ask Ace and Dylan to carry 2 players out of 5 on offense.
Do you finally admit you whiffed terribly on Cam this past offseason.

Reactions: S_Janowski

That''s how Gavin has been playing 90% of the year though, he basically acts like a poor mans Oskar just camping out at the 3.
Because since the guards aren’t going to pass anyway, our shooters just get out of the way for DSelfish, JWill and JMike to drive the lane and throw garbage off the glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldsprings
He seems pretty similar to Schiano then, who you’re a fairly ardent supporter of.

Defensive-minded, old-school coaches who have rescued Rutgers from the abyss but seem stubborn offensively and have a low-ish ceiling .
Absolutely similar philosophies, we will have to disagree on Schiano having a low-ish ceiling.

The difference is Schiano actually does run a solid offense with what he’s trying to do. It fits the identity.

I never once complain on here about the success of an offense. If guys are missing shots, they’re missing shots. It happens, and sometimes that just the way it goes. My issue is we don’t even get good looks. It’s pathetic. Everything is so forced and it has been since Day 1 he arrived.

Luckily, we’re about to find out what his ceiling actually is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT