ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino shame

Pitino could coach at Rutgers for 1 day and lose the game by 40 and would still be the greatest to ever do it here

Reactions: Plum Street
Looking at St. John’s resume and despite todays win, they lost to Michigan and BC. Split with Providence. I am not really seeing it.

Who did they pay off? Last three games, Butler, DePaul and Georgetown.

Murderer’s row!!!

Except it does. He’s a HOF HC who will go down as one of the best to ever do it.
If your point is he’s better than any of our coaches, why not just say that? The bit about losing one game by 40 points is completely irrelevant. If he did that he would still be a great coach for his career but he would’ve been a terrible and completely irrelevant coach at Rutgers.

Back to the premise of this thread. Just like after Micah ripped his team last year, SJU bounced back with a nice upset win. Maybe these coached individuals what their teams' need...

Looking at St. John’s resume and despite todays win, they lost to Michigan and BC. Split with Providence. I am not really seeing it.

Who did they pay off? Last three games, Butler, DePaul and Georgetown.

Murderer’s row!!!
Agree. Creighton is a great win but I believe that's their only win over a ranked team.

Pitino wins again avoiding what would’ve probably been the end of their tournament chances had they lost. Quite the response from his guys thus far.

Back to the premise of this thread. Just like after Micah ripped his team last year, SJU bounced back with a nice upset win. Maybe these coached individuals what their teams' need...
Gotta wonder if Pike ever does that, or how often, at least behind closed doors. The effort and performance meters on Sunday were both pretty sad. Hopefully there is a "redbound" tonight.

Gotta wonder if Pike ever does that, or how often, at least behind closed doors. The effort and performance meters on Sunday were both pretty sad. Hopefully there is a "redbound" tonight.
The answers are yes, whenever needed, and always behind closed doors.

This is what its all about..meanwhile Rutgers is sputtering rudderlessly to the end of the season
Well, it’s just not our year. It hasn’t been SJU’s year for a long time and it still may not be as their stretch run schedule has been a little soft. The drama from you two…

Not a fan of Slick Rick but gotta admit his ass chewing appears to have worked. Wish Pike had done similar .
I agree Bob. But we still need to look at the schedule. Great win at home vs. ranked Creighton, an okay win over middling Butler, then wins over bottom feeders. If Pike did that some of our “fans” would be picking that apart and crapping all over it.

I agree Bob. But we still need to look at the schedule. Great win at home vs. ranked Creighton, an okay win over middling Butler, then wins over bottom feeders. If Pike did that some of our “fans” would be picking that apart and crapping all over it.
9 teams in the big east are ranked 28+ spots better than RU (the same number as in the big ten) in kenpom and St Johns is 10-9 in conference. I don’t think they’re just beating bottom feeders but if you think that, what does it make RU?

We need 2024-2025 fast!

9 teams in the big east are ranked 28+ spots better than RU (the same number as in the big ten) in kenpom and St Johns is 10-9 in conference. I don’t think they’re just beating bottom feeders but if you think that, what does it make RU?

We need 2024-2025 fast!
Fair enough. But their resume is spotty and how many actual quality wins do they have? You referenced this last streak but it’s really not that great. GT and DePaul are very bad. If we had their resume, like I said, our “fans” would be ripping on it.

Fair enough. But their resume is spotty and how many actual quality wins do they have? You referenced this last streak but it’s really not that great. GT and DePaul are very bad. If we had their resume, like I said, our “fans” would be ripping on it.
Agree on GT/DePaul. But this board hangs its hat on Jwill making ru a new team with 3 of the 5 wins (in 10 games) coming against 14th 14th 13th in conference.

End of day, most below average to average college teams in colle basketbal (and football for that matter) don’t beat many good teams. That’s the model of college sports.

Not that I agree with Pitino‘s style but these are for the most part all adult players who more than likely have heard many unsavory lectures by a coach. Pike who is more laid back in public might be too easy going at times. Can’t fault his won - lost record over the years. Personal stuff questionable to say the least but look at the Hurley’s .No saints there.

Agree on GT/DePaul. But this board hangs its hat on Jwill making ru a new team with 3 of the 5 wins (in 10 games) coming against 14th 14th 13th in conference.

End of day, most below average to average college teams in colle basketbal (and football for that matter) don’t beat many good teams. That’s the model of college sports.
Not really a fair assessment of the entire board. Honestly, I think the BE is overrated from an analytic standpoint because of UCONN. I really think it’s a top heavy league with a soft middle belly and a brutal underbelly.

Not that I agree with Pitino‘s style but these are for the most part all adult players who more than likely have heard many unsavory lectures by a coach. Pike who is more laid back in public might be too easy going at times. Can’t fault his won - lost record over the years. Personal stuff questionable to say the least but look at the Hurley’s .No saints there.
I can’t really argue with you Bob. But I don’t think the issue with Pike is about being soft. It may be more about a question of focus on offense vs. defense and striking a balance between the two.

Not really a fair assessment of the entire board. Honestly, I think the BE is overrated from an analytic standpoint because of UCONN. I really think it’s a top heavy league with a soft middle belly and a brutal underbelly.
Much like the big ten

Whatever. But you seem very enamored by Pitino’s run in a flawed BE against a crappy schedule.
Their schedule metrics are identical to Rutgers.

I’m not enamored but would like to keep things close to reality

I can’t really argue with you Bob. But I don’t think the issue with Pike is about being soft. It may be more about a question of focus on offense vs. defense and striking a balance between the two.
Hey I like Coach Pikiell . The coach has many good leadership qualities and definitely loyal to a fault. We as a program need a B1G year in 2024-2025 and hopefully we make the tourney. Interested to see who leaves and who stays.

Hey I like Coach Pikiell . The coach has many good leadership qualities and definitely loyal to a fault. We as a program need a B1G year in 2024-2025 and hopefully we make the tourney. Interested to see who leaves and who stays.

Not really that difficult to see what's going on with RU. These days winning basketball teams have "Go-To" clutch offensive players to rely on in crunch or critical game situations. Cam was that at times last season - but overall RU has pretty much been missing that since RJH (and Geo).

Both Dylan and Ace look to be the "go-to" type of players missing from the current roster. I'm hoping the defensive minded players stay to compliment around them along with a further developed Gavin.

He doesn’t make Rutgers a new team, but make no mistake he’s the real deal. Even if you discount the Michigan games, he didn’t play any preseason cupcakes. J Will has scored 14+ in 7 of his 10 games. In the Purdue game where he scored 12, he only played 22 minutes since it was a blow out. If we had even one guy who could hit a high volume of outside shots at even a slightly above average rate the offense would be much better.

Never liked Pitino.
After he bad mouthed Western and called a HC Pete Bell team out of shape - dead to me.

great job year 1 by slick Rick if they can end up on the right side of the bubble

I think today got them in, Seton Hall should still be in as well IMO.
Yes today should have got them in but last year the theme was that conference tournaments don’t matter. I don’t think that’s the case this year with a weak bubble. And let’s face it, it’s Pitino. Still weirded out by Sojo’s man crush. Loves Rick, hates Rutgers. 😂

No one cares what Pitino has done outside of basketball. It's about the now....winning. He's the NY darling right now. Press and media are fawning over him. he got it done in 1 year with guys not even playing together so all that crap talk about guys have to gel next year at RU is exactly that...crap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT