ADVERTISEMENT

Forbes 2023 Top Colleges list

rutgersdave

Hall of Famer
Jan 23, 2004

Rutgers New Brunswick graduates might like this list better with Rutgers ranked 49. Rutgers Newark 168. Penn State 408.

Last edited:

Rutgers New Brunswick graduates might like this list better with Rutgers ranked 49. Rutgers Newark 168. Penn State 408.
Penn state at 408 ?!???!! Hahahaha!

I love to see a good Penn St dissing publicly but something seems off there lol. Louisville is down there too

Interesting they have included small schools. And BTW, Cal Tech 47 ASU 106

Newer college rankings are taking into account diversity and upward mobility more than they used to which is where Rutgers really shines.

Penn State is really falling in several of the ranking which longer term will affect the quality of their students. On their board, some alumni mention they wouldn’t recommend their kids go there.

With my daughter leaving for college in a couple weeks I’ve been looking a lot at the rankings over the past year or so leading up to her decision. What’s interesting with Rutgers and some schools like where my daughter is attending is that they are consistently in the same range across multiple rankings with some exceptions. To me that says that they tend to do a lot of things well given the differences in the ranking criteria.

5 of the top 6 public schools are all California? That strongly suggests the methodology is weird or overindexing on certain parameters.

5 of the top 6 public schools are all California? That strongly suggests the methodology is weird or overindexing on certain parameters.
6 out of 10 top public schools are from California on the US News Report ranking. The cost is low, acceptance rate is extremely low, and their median 10 years salary are higher than Rutgers. If we lived on the west coast, they are considered the North Carolina, Virginia, Michigan and Florida, the other top 4 schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
6 out of 10 top public schools are from California on the US News Report ranking. The cost is low, acceptance rate is extremely low, and their median 10 years salary are higher than Rutgers. If we lived on the west coast, they are considered the North Carolina, Virginia, Michigan and Florida.
Yep. These are the admit rates for the UC schools in 2023. The only ones above 50% are Santa Cruz, Riverside, and Merced. My daughter is starting at Davis this year.

Last edited:
6 out of 10 top public schools are from California on the US News Report ranking. The cost is low, acceptance rate is extremely low, and their median 10 years salary are higher than Rutgers. If we lived on the west coast, they are considered the North Carolina, Virginia, Michigan and Florida, the other top 4 schools.
For decades, California schools ironically have banned race based admissions. This has led to a much greater percentage of whites and Asians.

Penn state at 408?!???!! Hahahaha!

I love to see a good Penn St dissing publicly, but something seems off there lol. Louisville is down there too.
State Penn? Yeah, surprising.

Louisville? Not so much.
Penn State is really falling in several of the ranking which longer term will affect the quality of their students. On their board, some alumni mention they wouldn’t recommend their kids go there.
Interesting to hear.
And RU 49. UDel 134
In the grand scheme and big picture...fair spread IMO.

Based on those criteria in the link Penn state being so low makes no sense. The quality of education and what you do after isn’t that drastically different between flagship state schools from states with highly educated people which PA is in that category. Don’t get it.

Here is the ranking criteria. It actually considers many factors, including alumni salary, graduation rates, return on investment, etc. - areas where Rutgers excels. The criteria seems like a solid list of data points:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawh...-rank-americas-best-colleges/?sh=6d0f30c6294e

I was just about to post that link. I appreciate the high ranking they gave us and I like Forbes Magazine, but they use some metrics that I wouldn’t put much stock in.

Ok this list is meaningless. Carnegie Mellon is at 59 so the list isn’t a real list. Move on. No one in any circle would say Boston university is 10 spots above CMU. Haha.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Ok this list is meaningless. Carnegie Mellon is at 59 so the list isn’t a real list. Move on. No one in any circle would say Boston university is 10 spots above CMU. Haha.
BU moved up so high so fast on the US News one because they figured out the formula used.

Interesting article about it a few years back.

I love to see a good Penn St dissing publicly but something seems off there lol. Louisville is down there too
Penn State just posted their ranking on their board. They blame it on WOKE policies, Sandusky, and some professor that had sex with a dog. A few caught on that their tuition especially out of state is too high, the average student debt, higher than $10k, is higher than most schools.

At least they are a football factory.

Reactions: sct1111
Cal Tech at 47, lower than Claremont McKenna or Maryland or Florida??? University of Florida over University of Chicago? When you get demonstrably bad results you change your formula.

Cal Tech at 47, lower than Claremont McKenna or Maryland or Florida??? University of Florida over University of Chicago? When you get demonstrably bad results you change your formula.
I think affordability or cost is a big factor. Rutgers in all three ranking were in a close range and has improved over the recent past.

Agreed. I hate PSU with a passion, but it's a good school and 408 is just wrong. I worked with a number of PSU grads over the years and they were generally good folks (and luckily none of them were JoePa cult members).

If you arbitrarily off the record surveyed the average person from NJ streets asking what school was “a better school” , Rutgers or Penn State ? More would pick… Penn State.

If you arbitrarily off the record surveyed the average person from NJ streets asking what school was “a better school” , Rutgers or Penn State ? More would pick… Penn State.

That’s the fustrating part. Nj people thinking penn state is a superior option. Kind of twisted. But perception is mostly reality in this world especially of social media

Reactions: RUBOB72
That’s the fustrating part. Nj people thinking penn state is a superior option. Kind of twisted. But perception is mostly reality in this world especially of social media
Well, they still think Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Nebraska, Miami and Boston College are good football schools because of their reputation from 20-30 years ago.

All these college rankings had Penn State higher than Rutgers academically for 10-15 years. Rutgers will continue to rise over the years due to the more recent rating and more students will be eager to go to Rutgers. Penn State will continue to fall in the ranking since more students will become aware of their lower ratings. It wasn’t just one rating but all three ratings were lower for Penn State. Penn State won’t be hurting for enrollment, there’s a high percentage of student that attend Penn State for their football program.

Because they don't know anything but the football teams

Reactions: pele78
PSU is a very average school but it isn’t 408. That said, I find that hilarious especially when parents when run around bragging about their child going there. I think it’s awesome to support your kids, and they have cool home football games, but the piece of paper at the end of the line doesn’t really move the needle for anyone who isn’t a PSU person.

The football programs always affect reputations and donations.

There was a poster alumni from NJ on their board whose kid was deciding between Rutgers and Penn State engineering program. I don’t know which engineering program was better but he thought Penn State but the other comment made was that there were so many Indians and Asians at Rutgers on their visit. He’s a liberal. I overheard that same comment at one of our football game made by a black attending the game even though there aren’t many Asians at Rutgers games. If you want to be in the top 25-30 academically, you have to have a lot of Asians attending the school.

Last edited:
The UCal schools are also heavily recruiting (students) out of state because they need they much higher tuition dollars. I would like to see the percentage of out of state admissions for each of the UC campuses.

The UCal schools are also heavily recruiting (students) out of state because they need they much higher tuition dollars. I would like to see the percentage of out of state admissions for each of the UC campuses.
Wow, Penn State has 42% out of state students while UC Cal and UCLA are 17% and 22%. Rutgers is 17%.

That’s exactly why Penn State is ranked so low, tuition is so high for most out of state students and they graduate with higher debt and their salary 6-10 years are about $20k lower than Rutgers. Their students are swayed by the football program. They might have a better college experience than Rutgers due to the football program. All of my nephews that went to Rutgers never went to a Rutgers football game when they went to school but they attended before Schiano.

Last edited:
Wow, Penn State has 42% out of state students while UC Cal and UCLA are 17% and 22%. Rutgers is 17%.

That’s exactly why Penn State is ranked so low, tuition is so high for most out of state students and they graduate with higher debt and their salary 6-10 years are about $20k lower than Rutgers. Their students are swayed by the football program.

Penn State's in-state tuition is also high, though much lower than a Pa. resident would pay if they went to an out-of-state university.

RU and NJ folk should embrace good news about RU. Yet even on a RU message board we find people punching holes in the news. And you wonder why we are our worst enemy???

Still a bogus list. Agreed that Penn states out of state tuition is super high. But if 42% of the kids there pay that higher tuition well then good for Penn state to help fund their operations.

Tons of PA kids also go there. My wife and a bunch of her friends are from PA and went there. Penn state does the satellite feeder thing well. Her and her friends did 2 years at a small Penn state and transferred to main campus.

Also pitt is a good school, someone said it’s not. On par with Rutgers and really high in a lot of majors. I now live out in Pittsburgh. It reminds me of college avenue. Urban campus with a smaller green college area like voorhes mall.

Also I work for a Texas based company and my Rutgers degree to them is really unique and respected. No one I work with went here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT