ADVERTISEMENT

Forbes 2023 Top Colleges list

Still a bogus list. Agreed that Penn states out of state tuition is super high. But if 42% of the kids there pay that higher tuition well then good for Penn state to help fund their operations.

Tons of PA kids also go there. My wife and a bunch of her friends are from PA and went there. Penn state does the satellite feeder thing well. Her and her friends did 2 years at a small Penn state and transferred to main campus.

Also pitt is a good school, someone said it’s not. On par with Rutgers and really high in a lot of majors. I now live out in Pittsburgh. It reminds me of college avenue. Urban campus with a smaller green college area like voorhes mall.

Also I work for a Texas based company and my Rutgers degree to them is really unique and respected. No one I work with went here.
I believe Rutgers wanted to increase their out of state students to increase their revenue but the NJ residents( who hate Rutgers) and the Star Ledger were against it.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Still a bogus list. Agreed that Penn states out of state tuition is super high. But if 42% of the kids there pay that higher tuition well then good for Penn state to help fund their operations.

Tons of PA kids also go there. My wife and a bunch of her friends are from PA and went there. Penn state does the satellite feeder thing well. Her and her friends did 2 years at a small Penn state and transferred to main campus.

Also pitt is a good school, someone said it’s not. On par with Rutgers and really high in a lot of majors. I now live out in Pittsburgh. It reminds me of college avenue. Urban campus with a smaller green college area like voorhes mall.

Also I work for a Texas based company and my Rutgers degree to them is really unique and respected. No one I work with went here.

My brother lives in Texas, and RU has a better reputation as a school down there than it does up here.

Wow, Penn State has 42% out of state students while UC Cal and UCLA are 17% and 22%. Rutgers is 17%.

That’s exactly why Penn State is ranked so low, tuition is so high for most out of state students and they graduate with higher debt and their salary 6-10 years are about $20k lower than Rutgers. Their students are swayed by the football program. They might have a better college experience than Rutgers due to the football program. All of my nephews that went to Rutgers never went to a Rutgers football game when they went to school but they attended before Schiano.

This is a bigger program and an overlooked one by the school big time. And they shy away from fixing it becusse of todays litigious world.

But students party their butts off at the crack of dawn on college Ave. they dress up in game day gear , get all tailgate ready but never with the intention of leaving college Ave. college Ave has become a game day party scene that never gets left.

Rutgers needs to bring back the student tailgates. They need to make it the best student tailgate scene in America. For a couple of Saturdays a few years back, they had it. And of course the very light pressure applied by media they immediately stopped it. And I can’t blame them but I hate it. The students are putting themselves in far more dangerous situations at the house and frat parties on game day.

They’re losing tens of thousands of students a year from missing this key tie to the college experience.

Reactions: redking
Wow, Penn State has 42% out of state students while UC Cal and UCLA are 17% and 22%. Rutgers is 17%.

That’s exactly why Penn State is ranked so low, tuition is so high for most out of state students and they graduate with higher debt and their salary 6-10 years are about $20k lower than Rutgers. Their students are swayed by the football program. They might have a better college experience than Rutgers due to the football program. All of my nephews that went to Rutgers never went to a Rutgers football game when they went to school but they attended before Schiano.
Yes. I was specifically referring to UCLA. 22% may be less than PSU but still a large number for a major state university. Many states have/had a legal limit of 15%. Having said that, the PSU number is almost unbelievable.

If you arbitrarily off the record surveyed the average person from NJ streets (in South Jersey/Philly media market/Phillies-Eagles-Flyers fans) asking what school was “a better school” , Rutgers or Penn State ? More would pick… Penn State.
FIFY … due to lacking a statewide commercial media influence we unfortunately have Little Philly and Little New York mindsets. And let’s face it sports comes into play here as well and NY doesn’t have a college team with a cult following whereas Philly sports media can be Joe bots.

Just being honest here . As a Rutgers guy there are plenty of Rutgers alums and fans who view Rutgers as a great academic school. With Penn State they see it as a great football power which is more prestigious because of its National footprint. A better and cheaper value (?) but with great academics . There is nothing wrong with Rutgers if it became both an academic and sports power someday. I won’t complain if we do.

FIFY … due to lacking a statewide commercial media influence we unfortunately have Little Philly and Little New York mindsets. And let’s face it sports comes into play here as well and NY doesn’t have a college team with a cult following whereas Philly sports media can be Joe bots.
The lacking a statewide tv media has been an issue forever. It is our own fault.

No need to go further than #1. Just got my memorial book on our 50th reunion in '22.

(I'm sure this had nothing to do with the ranking, but one of my classmates was Christopher Forbes.)

The UCal schools are also heavily recruiting (students) out of state because they need they much higher tuition dollars. I would like to see the percentage of out of state admissions for each of the UC campuses.
Actually there are fewer out of state students at the UC schools than you might think. One reason is that residents complained about too many out of state students admitted T the expense of CA residents. So they have a requirement to take a sizable percentage of CA students. The admissions criteria is different as well. To be eligible to apply you need to have a minimum 3.0 GPA if a CA resident and a 3.4 GPA if you are out of state. They still get a massive number of applicants and the overall profile of incoming students is quite a bit higher than the minimums needed to apply. Of fThe UC schools my daughter got into UC Davis and Santa Cruz but not the other more well known UC schools. She’s going to go to Davis.

This is the data from 2022

You got kids from NJ who want to attend “big” schools and wet their pants for places like Auburn , Alabama , LSU , PSU, etc etc

But the same kid doesn’t even give Rutgers a thought. And in most cases they’re verbally dissing Rutgers to all their HS buddies , without ever even having visited it.

Actually there are fewer out of state students at the UC schools than you might think. One reason is that residents complained about too many out of state students admitted T the expense of CA residents. So they have a requirement to take a sizable percentage of CA students. The admissions criteria is different as well. To be eligible to apply you need to have a minimum 3.0 GPA if a CA resident and a 3.4 GPA if you are out of state. They still get a massive number of applicants and the overall profile of incoming students is quite a bit higher than the minimums needed to apply. Of fThe UC schools my daughter got into UC Davis and Santa Cruz but not the other more well known UC schools. She’s going to go to Davis.

This is the data from 2022

Just a note that those numbers are for admissions, not enrollees. All colleges admit many more students than actually enroll. UCLA for one, hosts recruiting events for admitted out of state students in Mass, NY, DC/MD/VA, Chicago, Seattle and at least one more location. They are still aggressively recruiting out of state students.

Also, the minimums to apply may favor in state students, but at the most desired campuses they make no difference because the students that are admitted are well above those minimums.

Ok this list is meaningless. Carnegie Mellon is at 59 so the list isn’t a real list. Move on. No one in any circle would say Boston university is 10 spots above CMU. Haha.
Amazing how ppl take these rankings from garbage publications like Forbes so seriously.

Agreed. I hate PSU with a passion, but it's a good school and 408 is just wrong. I worked with a number of PSU grads over the years and they were generally good folks (and luckily none of them were JoePa cult members).
The PSU scientists and engineering grads I have worked with over many years have always been particularly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State are pretty much equivalent academically. Obviously some departments are better than others but all 3 are excellent state schools.

Just a note that those numbers are for admissions, not enrollees. All colleges admit many more students than actually enroll. UCLA for one, hosts recruiting events for admitted out of state students in Mass, NY, DC/MD/VA, Chicago, Seattle and at least one more location. They are still aggressively recruiting out of state students.

Also, the minimums to apply may favor in state students, but at the most desired campuses they make no difference because the students that are admitted are well above those minimums.
Yes, that is true. They do have those types of events for out of state students, especially after they’ve been offered admission. We went to multiple events here in Seattle for the schools my daughter was admitted to. The thing is with the requirement to admit more CA residents it makes it more difficult to admit as many out of state student and it’s more competitive for those slots because the bar is lower for the CA students. To your point though it would be interesting to see the CA resident vs out of state numbers for those who accept and enroll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT