ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Former Rutgers Women's Basketball G Kaylene Smikle commits to Maryland

The Rutgers women's basketball program is in disarray with roster formation.Losing a go to scorer with two years of eligibility remaining to a league rival is a bad indicator for next season.

The Rutgers women's basketball program is in disarray with roster formation.Losing a go to scorer with two years of eligibility remaining to a league rival is a bad indicator for next season.
I wouldn't over-stress the league rival business, as I am not sure the players (generally) have the same view and in the portal world transfers within a conference are not so uncommon.

Losing her was bad, I truly think she was the most talented player Rutgers had.

Reactions: MADHAT1
well RU will just have to overcome this loss and her going to a conference foe makes her leaving worse .

I figured it would be MD or Penn State as she’s from LI. When she selected RU, being closer to home was a factor if I recall.

Also, MD’s system favors a dominate player or two jacking up shots, so I’m sure that was appealing to her. I sensed in the game I saw in person, Smikle and Adams, we’re going to have difficulty co-existing. Just my observation….

I sensed in the game I saw in person, Smikle and Adams, we’re going to have difficulty co-existing. Just my observation….
Interesting! Please expound on that if you can.

We all saw Kaylene as our most talented scorer with a great knack for the ball on defense. The thing that was always troubling, but we were willing to overlook due her scoring, was the fact that she never really played with her teammates. Besides her roommate. Antonia, she didn't appear to be connected to the rest of the team.

While watching one of the games(can't remember which one), I thought I observed some friction between Kaylene and KB. I could be wrong, but it was just a sense that I had. KB was being the team leader that she was for the team and Kaylene didn't appear to be on board. I could be reading more into it, IDK.

It will be interesting to see if she becomes more of a team player under Brenda. If she did actually have a problem existing with any of the players on our roster, I wonder how things will go playing alongside of Sheyenne Sellers, who is running the show for Brenda, and is VERY outspoken and animated on the court.

Also, with Kaylene having two years left, I wonder how things go after this coming season when Brenda recruits other elite players at Kaylene's position, as Brenda has had a tendency to recruit over her existing roster.

I'm wishing her all the best, except against us, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kaylene on the move again after this coming year.

Last edited:
Interesting! Please expound on that if you can.

We all saw Kaylene as our most talented scorer with a great knack for the ball on defense. The thing that was always troubling, but we were willing to overlook due her scoring, was the fact that she never really played with her teammates. Besides her roommate. Antonia, she didn't appear to be connected to the rest of the team.

While watching one of the games(can't remember which one), I thought I observed some friction between Kaylene and KB. I could be wrong, but it was just a sense that I had. KB was being the team leader that she was for the team and Kaylene didn't appear to be on board. I could be reading more into it, IDK.

It will be interesting to see if she becomes more of a team player under Brenda. If she did actually have a problem existing with any of the players on our roster, I wonder how things will go playing alongside of Sheyenne Sellers, who is running the show for Brenda, and is VERY outspoken and animated on the court.

Also, with Kaylene having two years left, I wonder how things go after this coming season when Brenda recruits other elite players at Kaylene's position, as Brenda has had a tendency to recruit over her existing roster.

I'm wishing her all the best, except against us, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kaylene on the move again after this coming year.
I also wish her well but agree with much of what you said. I had courtside seats for the VT game on 12/17 (I remember the date because it was my bday). My husband and I observed her continuing to drive to the basket while the other four players stood around in the four corners waiting to be a part of the game. I also observed Adam's look at her father and shrug. I hope she learns to share the ball or she won't be successful at any school.

I think her mother was on our staff as well. Am I correct? I just couldn’t figure out why she was not playing for such a long time.

I don't wish her well as a basketball player , nor do I hope anything bad happens .
Just will root for her doing what it takes to graduate, play injury free and let the Maryland fans root for her to play well, while I hope she plays like s#!t against Rutgers and not care about her as a basketball player otherwise, except not beating out Rutgers players when it comes to awards given out for B1G WBB play or academic achievements

Reactions: ScarletteK80
there is a good chance there are more Maryland fans at the RAC than RU fans
Probably right. She may get booed by the band during introductions but that will be the extent of it. And she'll want to humiliate us on our own court.

Probably right. She may get booed by the band during introductions but that will be the extent of it. And she'll want to humiliate us on our own court.
I think RU WBB fans will be wanting her to look bad and make Maryland look like they took a loser .
Kaylene's talent makes that idea not happening, but RU fans can hope Smikle's flaws are more noticeable then her talent.
As far as more fans , hopefully that's not the case, but can't say it won't happen.
Just hope the Maryland fans that attend go home disappointed

We're gonna have to get used to this new portal age. Players are only doing what they think is best for them.... No different than when we were their age. We made decisions with ourselves(our own situations) in mind, first and foremost.

Would Destiny deserve the "booing" treatment if she went back to UNC to play?? I would cringe if Erica or Jillian's new team came to play here at the RAC and we booed her. Just my opinion.

I think the Smikle on our support staff is Kaylene's aunt. I think Kaylene also has a cousin, or it may be her brother, who also attends the school and may have been a part of the practice squad. She made her choice, we just have to move forward now. We'll be fine.

MD is adding from the portal like crazy and also has some highly rated recruits. I have a feeling, playing time is going to be hard to come by for all of the newcomers.

Reactions: RUfanDNT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT