ADVERTISEMENT

Francesa Rant - Eve of Destruction - College Sports Are Over

He is correct, of course. Helen Keller saw this coming two years ago.

Some did.
I think a lot still don't get the direction its going in.
CFB is more fluid and crazy than pros
Many think college sports are screwed but not "over."
I read Maryland coach bummed-out because 3rd string RB wants 100K

Francesa also said Pitino told him NCAA is "over".
With Francesa saying he said that publicly it puts a "!" on it since Pitino is coaching/recruiting

Imagine Greg saying "NCAA is over" knowing its public

I really hate to kill the guy because he and mad dog really paved the way for a new industry, but he really needed to stay retired. When he came back he was totally burned out and mailing it in.
You're a Michael Kay apologist. Always have been. Stick to being numbah 2 your whole life. When the pope talks everyone listens.

Am I right @RU Cheese

I really hate to kill the guy because he and mad dog really paved the way for a new industry, but he really needed to stay retired. When he came back he was totally burned out and mailing it in.
I was never a fan of how he treated Rutgiz in his later years, but the fact of is, he WAS WFAN. The station has been a trainwreck in the years since his departure. Zero redeeming personalities left. Boomer is ok and Evan is passable for baseball talk, but man is that station a void now.

I was never a fan of how he treated Rutgiz in his later years, but the fact of is, he WAS WFAN. The station has been a trainwreck in the years since his departure. Zero redeeming personalities left. Boomer is ok and Evan is passable for baseball talk, but man is that station a void now.

I haven’t listened to any show since Mike left. A bunch of talentless snooze fests

I always thought he was pretty good. He had the pulse of the ny sports fan. He had his day though . He was great with russso. Russo’s still ok at times on Sirius , but the show is all over the place since it’s a national show.

Agreed that station stinks now . It’s kinda sad they can’t get any decent hosts. Also annoying to get bombarded by gambling and generic viagara ads.

Francessa was the only one banging the drum for Rutgers during the Big East tournament fiasco in the St. John’s . Even espn, which broadcasted the game, ignored it. And Francesca is a St. John’s guy. He clamored the rest of his show and had rice on the next day saying the Big East needed to do the right thing and finish the game properly.

Francesa credited Imus for his career and WFAN. After Imus lost his job over Rutgers mess Mike was a little toxic. Mike could hold grudges and spent his last year at WFAN trying to get Giant coaches and GM fired. He was like Ahab chasing Moby Dick

"Both Francesa and Russo credited Imus for making the pairing possible. Russo said, "Imus was very, very, very, very important to the development of FAN... He solved a lot of problems for the company." Francesa said, "Without Imus, there's no Mike and the Mad Dog, there's no FAN, and I'm telling you, there's no format... Dog and I came through the toughest school there is: the Imus school of radio." WIKI

He said nothing, literally nothing, new, interesting or remotely insightful. Every bit of that is tired old news.

Cant be all old news because everything is up in the air. College sports got sucked down a storm drain and nobody know where things come out. A lot of people think college sports will be the same but with more money. Mike talks to coaches and they are saying they want out and many players wont even have to go to classes. Colleges have to buy players (not student athletes either).

LSU has a 625 million endowment and Harvard has 51 billion. Superficially speaking, Harvard could go out and buy a top team and players dont even need classes. NCAA is kaput and even March Madness and all that is on last legs because its an NCAA tournament where NCAA makes most of its money.

Obviously a lot of teams wont be able to play the money game and will be closer to DII/DIII than D1. A lot of teams will downgrade or vanish. Even low grade teams could get unions making demands that cant be met.

Academy ball looks like the last outpost for major student football. SA players are already employees (they all get military pay like the rest) and cant take NIL. Most Army recruits were never NIL prospects to begin. Alumni pay for coaches and all other things aside from infrastructure so they have the financial structure in place.

One outfit that could get dinged is NFL. It has a new pro league on the way. People say "semi-pro" but that wontr last long. Its all a dollar chase now

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Puppy
I haven’t listened to any show since Mike left. A bunch of talentless snooze fests

I like Tiki for football because he'll tell things other hosts dont know.

Even a lot of coaches dont know a lot about the whole game because its so big (5 dozen players, offense/defense, specials, interior game vs secondary). Tiki will explain things like why kick returners cant have pic pecs. You wont get stuff like that from others.

My main complaint with WFAN is that with NYC sports being so crappy, the station has turned toxic towards coaches, players, managers, owners. Mike and Beningo spent last days trying to get people fired. Players (like Eli) stopped doing interviews.

Now its also the style to make arguing a draw. Station thinks people scanning the dials will stop and listen when they hear people arguing. Maybe some do, but its an old act now and bicker radio just isn't good after 5 minutes.

I'm also sick of the constant gambling stuff.

He's 100% correct..... regardless if you like or dislike the guy.

College Athletics, and more specifically roster management and development in college athletics, as we have known it for all our lifetimes, is over.
NIL was the beginning of the end....Dartmouth basketball ground zero for the true collapse - unions are now needed to protect them. NCAA handled this terribly - pandoras box is open and cannot be closed. Agree 100% with Francesa - college athletics was beautiful as an amateur sport. I already watch pros and don't need another pro league to watch - NOR do I have an appetite to pony up that much more $$$$ to pay the players on Rutgers. I love Rutgers, but at some point the juice is not worth the squeeze and I'll take my money and time elsewhere. I really hope Francesa is wrong, but I'm not sure I see how.

Reactions: ashokan
He said nothing, literally nothing, new, interesting or remotely insightful. Every bit of that is tired old news.
On the contrary Dartmouth basketball players being considered employees is huge news. A lot of unions have gone away, but I still have to deal with some in my job and it gets crazy. NCAA is the walking dead unless there is a drastic change - really sad on so many levels and there will be so much $$$ going down the drain.

That fellow entered the portal and apparently signed with Temple...
Maryland has a second backup running back in the portal who is still unsigned.

Are we sure the Temple signee was the one asking for 100K?

You're a Michael Kay apologist. Always have been. Stick to being numbah 2 your whole life. When the pope talks everyone listens.

Am I right @RU Cheese
I have no idea where you came up with that. Never liked Kay’s show. Think you have me confused with someone else. Strange post.

I have no idea where you came up with that. Never liked Kay’s show. Think you have me confused with someone else. Strange post.
@superfan01 Why is it fanboys like Pete and @ru66 praise Michael Kay all the time, but when you call them out for being numbah two they pretend it never happened?

@superfan01 Why is it fanboys like Pete and @ru66 praise Michael Kay all the time, but when you call them out for being numbah two they pretend it never happened?
Wtf are you talking about? Can you even find a past post from me praising Kay? You can’t. The two of you are batshit crazy.

LSU has a 625 million endowment and Harvard has 51 billion. Superficially speaking, Harvard could go out and buy a top team and players dont even need classes.
Well they just bought our TE coach to be HC so I don't think that is happening... (just having some fun on the line)

Well they just bought our TE coach to be HC so I don't think that is happening... (just having some fun on the line)

Mike just used Harvard as an example.
He mentioned how people would say SEC was too powerful and other teams couldn't compete.
Now Harvard could be top program if it wanted to (not saying it does)

francesagiffery.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet83
It is not over, but it is vastly different. Things will level out, but it really started to change long before athletes got money. Double digit million dollar deals for coaches, billion dollar media deals, etc. It became about money a long time ago and it trickles into every part of sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT