ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 50 % of college fb viewership comes from 18 teams

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Saw this posted on TMB
Obviously, it comes from schools that have had a lot of success in the past 30 years

Parity is needed in the game; which is why I'd argue NIL is a good thing
It gives schools like us an opportunity to compete, and win, if money is raised

Reactions: RULegacy
Saw this posted on TMB
Obviously, it comes from schools that have had a lot of success in the past 30 years

I would tend to agree in terms of leveling the playing field. The issue is the rich just get richer. OSU raised $13mm for NIL and stockpiled amazing portal players this offseason. Not sure we can compete against that.
Also once you find that diamond in the rough they can enter the portal at anytime and go the highest bidder—-things really need to change

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I would tend to agree in terms of leveling the playing field. The issue is the rich just get richer. OSU raised $13mm for NIL and stockpiled amazing portal players this offseason. Not sure we can compete against that.
Also once you find that diamond in the rough they can enter the portal at anytime and go the highest bidder—-things really need to change
Regulation of some sort is desperately needed, and soon
This goes for both NIL and the portal

Re. the rich getting richer, I'd counter with that was happening pre-NIL
And the chances of us competiting were slim to none

Now, with NIL, there's at least some hope (albeit how much is the question) as the potential is unlimited in the tri-state area

Saw this posted on TMB

Without looking. Let me guess: FSU is one of them.

GO RU

Sure does paly well for FSU
What plays well for FSU in the present does not play well for college football in the future, which in turn will not play well for FSU either

I've repeatedly said that I aspire Rutgers to be on Wisconsin's level and truly believe it's possible - so seeing Bucky in the top 18, without them being located in the tri-state area, and not seeing them in the national championship hunt, gives me even more hope for Rutgers

Reactions: rubaseball78

Now, with NIL, there's at least some hope (albeit how much is the question) as the potential is unlimited in the tri-state area
It's simple, I'd feel better about Schiano's ability to recruit both in high school and the portal without NIL. Improvement would have had kids interested; money is making them turn away.

It's simple, I'd feel better about Schiano's ability to recruit both in high school and the portal without NIL. Improvement would have had kids interested; money is making them turn away.
I wouldn’t
Not in the B1G

He’s not beating UM, OSU or PSU for many recruits pre NIL

With an NIL, at least he now has a shot

All of the other local competition or schools we generally compete w recruits for, we are basically on par with or have advantages they don’t have (Pitt, Cuse, Maryland, Temple, BC, WVU, VT)

This isn’t the Water-down Big East anymore.

GS of 2006 and GS of 2024 are very different animals, as are the teams, we play, and the schools that we compete against.

You could probably say the same thing about any sports league: a minority of teams account for the majority of interest. But if you took away the other half of viewers college football viewership would drop by half, and so would the money the big names chase after.

I can't read the article as it's blocked on my computer, but when the same 18 teams get the majority of the big TV slots in primetime, wouldn't it be expected that they gain 50 percent of the viewership? It's literally the same sets of teams again and again on over the air TV and ESPN prime time, just playing each other in different pairings.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Saw this posted on TMB

So Miami (2001 season) was last national champ without a ton of eyeballs on their games these days.

This stat is BS .
The viewership comes from those programs because they are the ones most commonly featured on prime time slots and national broadcast . Obviously due to their success. It’s a self fulfilling stat.

Reactions: Rhuarc

Ohio State needs to win it all this year.

If they don't, their donors are going to feel like the Buckeyes are A&M North.

If Ohio State somehow loses to Michigan again in November, Ryan Day may go down in college football history as the coach with the best overall winning percentage to be fired.

Speaking of Ohio St and Day - got this on FB

AEH0lda.jpeg

Long term we may be better going back to playing our eastern seaboard brethren and WV

Reactions: Zimm80
I am not sure anyone has determined what is the optimal number of schools as far as a profit for a College Football Champions Division. 32? 48? 64?

The NFL has teams that usually make the playoff (Pittsburgh, Dallas, etc) propping up franchises that seldom make the playoff. So, it is okay to have SOME struggling programs along for the ride. The question is "how many"?

Not happening. If anything, these 18 schools will form the core of a megaconference right before the expiration of the Big Ten and SEC media rights agreement in the early 2030s. Would make a lot of sense financially for them too to do that too. They may ask another 10 to 14 teams to join them to ensure enough inventory from late August into early January for football and November through March for basketball. The rest of college teams will scramble for whattever scraps they can muster. Peak capitalism is coming shortly to college sports. It is just a matter of time.

Reactions: Zimm80
Not happening. If anything, these 18 schools will form the core of a megaconference right before the expiration of the Big Ten and SEC media rights agreement in the early 2030s. Would make a lot of sense financially for them too to do that too. They may ask another 10 to 14 teams to join them to ensure enough inventory from late August into early January for football and November through March for basketball. The rest of college teams will scramble for whattever scraps they can muster. Peak capitalism is coming shortly to college sports. It is just a matter of time.

It won't include basketball. Football will be the sole sport to split off IMO, because that is where 85% of the college sports profit resides.

It won't include basketball. Football will be the sole sport to split off IMO, because that is where 85% of the college sports profit resides.
That could be true. These teams pull out football and put the rest into NCAA. Question is whether those that remain in NCAA would want those teams knowing that they will fuel their other programs with the football money that all the others don't have. If I were rest of NCAA I would block those programs from joining unless some better way to level playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT