ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin...

LETSGORU91

All American
Jan 29, 2017
I know Barkley is a beast of a player, but posing a scenario where Franklin sends his parents off on a romantic getaway so they can reproduce more football players is awkward. That was a Franklin quote from the B1G media day. In fact, that's pretty Harbaughish..

Last edited:
If Ash said something like that, he’d be crucified.
If Ash makes the same joke in 2 years about Lewis' parents, there will be a lot of happy Rutgers fan. I don't think it's a big deal but probably better off not making the joke.

If Ash makes the same joke in 2 years about Lewis' parents, there will be a lot of happy Rutgers fan. I don't think it's a big deal but probably better off not making the joke.

I agree, it's not a big deal.. just weird. If a manager ever said that to an employee, they would be visiting the HR office or unemployment line in a hurry.

Reactions: RUMountie
Franklin tries way too hard, it's sad. The way he exaggerates words and tries to act so dramatic makes me just wanna kick him in the dick
1308916421_monkey_owns_kid.gif

I know Barkley is a beast of a player, but posing a scenario where Franklin sends his parents off on a romantic getaway so they can reproduce more football players is awkward. That was a Franklin quote from the B1G media day. In fact, that's pretty Harbaughish..
This kind of joke will play fine if the coach knows how to deliver the line. It's tricky, though.

Sadly, Franklin's shtick works. The guy had his team in the frigging Rose Bowl last year. We are light years away from that.

If Ash said something like that, he’d be crucified.
Different way local media covers RU & PSU and the type of respect given to both programs by National media.
Rutgers isn't looked on faborably and its easier to find fault with losing programs.
Winning brings a lot of things to the table, letting what's said slide is one of them .
What would be looked on with disgust if Ash said it by the Star Ledger and made into a big deal by national press because of how the Ledger spun it, would be reported as humor by the Penn St local media and treated like a great joke by Franklin when the national media brought it up.
Don't think all media is equal, some look to protect/ some to destroy.

Reactions: RU-AGK
It was a joke. No need to get upset about it at all. No harm done.

Sadly, Franklin's shtick works. The guy had his team in the frigging Rose Bowl last year. We are light years away from that.
Gonna go out on a limb here and assume we are all mature enough to discuss race without the world coming to an end. I only go "there" because I find it extremely off that Penn State hired a guy that had his own sex/rape scandal going on at Vanderbilt so soon after the whole Sandusky/Paterno thing.

A) I know Penn State had begun getting some criticism for being a lily white campus with little diversity yet trying to to appeal to black athletes.

B) They hired Bill OBrien.. a good coach.. but white. Did they get any grief about the hiring process at that time? Not enough interviews with black candidates? Not hiring one of them? I have no idea.

C) OBrien leaves and they hire Franklin.. despite his odd history at Vandy. I propose the theory that this was a race-based hire. There should be more diversity in the coaching ranks and I think in many cases you have to give minority candidates some extra consideration given how hard it has been for them to get all those jobs that lead to head coaching opportunities. But for a guy who claimed he told his players he had seen that rape video when he had not? Come on now.. that is not remotely believable. He handled that as well as Paterno handled the Sandusky thing... for him to be hired there.. at Penn State...

giphy.gif

I get that Franklin is working out so far... damn shame that we couldn't beat PSU that first year. But with the NCAA ending the sanctions prematurely and Flood being Flood.. they were going up while we were coming down. Damn shame. That PSU can pay to surround Franklin with top assistants.... I can only hope that they keep leaving not wanting to "assist" this fraud.

The PSU fans deserve a good team and good coach... and so do we. But this guy... sheesh.

Franklin tries way too hard, it's sad. The way he exaggerates words and tries to act so dramatic makes me just wanna kick him in the dick
We are taking this way to seriously a couple of year ago we said he couldn't coach, now we are criticizing him for this non- story. Let get ready for the season because State Penn will try to hang 50 on us this year.

Making a big deal out of this is just plain silly -- and speculating it would be a big deal if Ash said it is even sillier than the usual martyr complex we see around here.

That joke has been used before -- probably many times, but all I know is I've heard it before. Perhaps not the "romantic getaway" part, but certainly about having more kids because somebody is so good. It's a compliment to the kid and an attempt at light humor.

Take it as such, regardless of the source. Or joke-stealer.

We are taking this way to seriously a couple of year ago we said he couldn't coach, now we are criticizing him for this non- story. Let get ready for the season because State Penn will try to hang 50 on us this year.
So you're saying: from not being able to coach his way out of a paper bag,
Franklin went to> can't even joke his way out of one. :p

Last edited:

From his comments about his assistants' wives, the Vanderbilt rape case and now this totally inappropriate comment at a nationally televised media day...this guy is a creepy weird. Franklin combined with that culture has the potential for another really bad fiasco.

From his comments about his assistants' wives, the Vanderbilt rape case and now this totally inappropriate comment at a nationally televised media day...this guy is a creepy weird. Franklin combined with that culture has the potential for another really bad fiasco.

Well, ok..I was unaware of the Vandy comments. Then add this, which I said was a little awkward, and this does get a little stranger. Yet there are others here (RUBaseball) who want to dismiss it as a joke. It's a bad joke and borderline inappropriate in mind.

50??

jsol_05 said:
I'll take the optimistic approach and say RU will be more competitive this season. They whooped RU pretty good last year 39-0, but this season might just make a closer game with Ash having one year under his belt and an OC that was a pretty good HC when RU goes to Happy Valley this year.
Won't claim Rutgers' O has improved so much under Kill that there's a good chance to come home with a victory, I'll just say one of my favorite sayings when there doesn't seem a chance for a win: "Upsets Happen" :cool2:

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT