ADVERTISEMENT

From a Player on the RU '61 and '62 Teams

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
A friend of mine was on the RU '61 and '62 football teams and generally prefers anonymity, and said it was okay for me to start a thread about what he shared with me, and I'm happy to do it. The following are his (aggregated) emails to me from earlier today. There are cautions against us not taking Delaware seriously enough; a movie about his high school team, and a former Rutgers coach.

“I played on the 1960 RU freshman team. Our coach was Chuck Klausing who is now in college football HOF. Coach Klausing's Braddock, PA high school team had a 55 game winning streak when he came to RU as freshman coach. We extended his streak to 60 wins and then we played Delaware at home before a trainful of Braddock fans who had come to see the winning streak continue.....but we took our only loss of the season that day 13-7. Delaware star running back Mike Brown was drafted. Never sleep on Delaware. It's a proud program with a lot of history.

A couple of side notes. We had 110 players tryout for the freshman team. Half of the team failed out of school. Per below link, there is a move called "Braddock" now in production. It is based upon the book "Striking Gridiron" and is about Coach Klausings 1959 Braddock high school team. Russell Wilson provided the financing."

deadline.com

Joshua Jackson & Kate Bosworth Board Game1 & Russell

Last edited:
There's a lot of RU-related info, past and present, connected to this. And if nothing else it shows that former players pay attention to what's going on in the football world, some of which is on levels and in places we weren't aware existed. But one thing is obvious, which is that Coach Klausing had a 60-game win streak going as a high school and college coach, and it was UDel that snapped it.

Reactions: mildone
I think the point is that this weekend is the renewal of an olde thyme rivalry. Personally, I enjoy history, but history isn’t for everyone I suppose.
if...if...that is what he was trying to do he took the longest road there. One could infer 3 different topics of discussion from that. Huh was a nice way of saying, 'wtf are you trying say exactly'

love history but to your take; there is no rivalry with Del and never was. You could ask 100 living players from pre 1970 and I'd wager 10k not a one would ever say Del was a rival. Now if you want to say don't sleep on any opponent and use them as the example from 1960, go ahead but all the rest is just fluff

if...if...that is what he was trying to do he took the longest road there. One could infer 3 different topics of discussion from that. Huh was a nice way of saying, 'wtf are you trying say exactly'

love history but to your take; there is no rivalry with Del and never was. You could ask 100 living players from pre 1970 and I'd wager 10k not a one would ever say Del was a rival. Now if you want to say don't sleep on any opponent and use them as the example from 1960, go ahead but all the rest is just fluff
There were at least three different topics in there, each of which could be of interest to various folks who follow RU and/or been part of it over the years. Some of the players who played for RU went to Clairton High, the subject of the movie.

The hometown in "The Deer Hunter" was supposed to be Clairton, PA. Eventhough none of the scenes were shot in the actual town they still used the name.

Did we lose to New Hampshire a week after beating Michigan State in 2005?
Am I remembering that correctly?

Is anyone else confused?
Well... yeah. But that's a pretty constant state of being for me. I think for most people, too. Think about it. How much going on in the world today actually makes sense?

As for history, which it appears this thread is about, I'm always skeptical and confused. I mean, how can we be sure there even IS any such thing as "before"? For that matter, how can we be sure that we're actually posting on the internet and not just having a long-running dream? Y'all, and the internet, could very well be nothing more than figments of my fevered imagination.

What if I'm nothing more than an amorphous blob of misfiring neurons floating through an imaginary universe?

Life is very confusing. 😶

Reactions: newell138
Well... yeah. But that's a pretty constant state of being for me. I think for most people, too. Think about it. How much going on in the world today actually makes sense?

As for history, which it appears this thread is about, I'm always skeptical and confused. I mean, how can we be sure there even IS any such thing as "before"? For that matter, how can we be sure that we're actually posting on the internet and not just having a long-running dream? Y'all, and the internet, could very well be nothing more than figments of my fevered imagination.

What if I'm nothing more than an amorphous blob of misfiring neurons floating through an imaginary universe?

Life is very confusing. 😶

I have those thoughts most nights while sitting in the hot tub

Reactions: mildone
I have those thoughts most nights while sitting in the hot tub
That's a very good place to have such thoughts.

It's less good to have them, say, while piloting a fighter jet that's in the final phase of a carrier landing. In such moments, it probably doesn't pay to be too skeptical of realness of gravity or other principles of Physics. For those moments, it's best to at least temporarily go with the assumption that that shit is for real. 😃

Anyway, I've strayed far off topic, as best as I understand what the actual topic is, in my perpetually confused state. Sorry about that @RutgersRaRa.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
That's a very good place to have such thoughts.

It's less good to have them, say, while piloting a fighter jet that's in the final phase of a carrier landing. In such moments, it probably doesn't pay to be too skeptical of realness of gravity or other principles of Physics. For those moments, it's best to at least temporarily go with the assumption that that shit is for real. 😃

Anyway, I've strayed far off topic, as best as I understand what the actual topic is, in my perpetually confused state. Sorry about that @RutgersRaRa.
That's what the interwebz is for! Every action has an unequal and disproportionate reaction (@RUScrew85 will back me up on this, he's a physics guru and social dynamicist), and homeboards are where this cultural accoutrement takes place. Stray on, my friend!!

Reactions: ewc128 and mildone
I was there for that 1960 RU fresh team. Guys from Somerville who failed out were George Walker, George Saunders, Keith Buchanan

There are a lot of interesting things in the initial post. It only seems confusing because it seems to be taken from an email exchange so we miss some context. Sort of like eavesdropping or coming into the middle of a conversation.

RutgersRaRa thanks to you and your friend for the post. Lots of douchey responses here.
My pleasure. It goes with the territory sometimes, but the usual procedure is for negative or otherwise unhelpful comments to come out first, then a bit later better ones come out. Sometimes the "abuse" is warranted, depending on tone and content, but this was a post from a good friend and good man who is still active in supporting Rutgers wherever he goes so the overall sentiments (IMO) ought to be supportive of his contribution. And he knows his football. Whenever I speak with him I learn something new. Thanks again for your kind words.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
My pleasure. It goes with the territory sometimes, but the usual procedure is for negative or otherwise unhelpful comments to come out first, then a bit later better ones come out. Sometimes the "abuse" is warranted, depending on tone and content, but this was a post from a good friend and good man who is still active in supporting Rutgers wherever he goes so the overall sentiments (IMO) ought to be supportive of his contribution. And he knows his football. Whenever I speak with him I learn something new. Thanks again for your kind words.
Of course.

That's what the interwebz is for! Every action has an unequal and disproportionate reaction (@RUScrew85 will back me up on this, he's a physics guru and social dynamicist), and homeboards are where this cultural accoutrement takes place. Stray on, my friend!!

I'm 100% behind you @RutgersRaRa . I however have others in this convo on ignore so I can't speak to the deets. But knowing you - you have my full support.

Greg Schiano 1.0 lose to Delaware? Maybe.
Schiano 2.0 lose to Delaware? Not a chance . Our boys are on a mission!!
Thanks for posting though Rah Rah.

Did we lose to New Hampshire a week after beating Michigan State in 2005?
Am I remembering that correctly?
Delaware's QB isn't Ricky Santos. I've said before people still don't realize what a great college QB he was. Winner of the Walter Payton award as the best player in D1AA (FCS) he finished with the 3rd most career passing yards in the FCS at the time and was a 3X FCS All-American.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT