ADVERTISEMENT

***GA LB Jayden McDonald commits to Rutgers***

Does anyone have physical stats on this kid and what position he's planning playing. Thanks.

Don't recall ever seeing an RU LB commit with his Quickness/speed. Don't care if he's really 5'11"

Welcome Jayden.

Watching his highlight film, think he may tackle a bit high, but that is an adjustment. Kid closes like lightning and stays on his tackle.

LOVE it!!!

Watching his highlight film, think he may tackle a bit high, but that is an adjustment. Kid closes like lightning and stays on his tackle.

LOVE it!!!
He will not play LB, he's actually 5' 10". I see the kid being a stud at Safety.

Kid measured 6'0" at the Atlanta Rivals Camp to echo ArminRU. Reminds me a bit of Marcelino Ball of Indiana who plays the Husky position for that defense, a hybrid between secondary and LBer. Regardless, love this kid's speed and pursuit to the ball.

Last edited:
can see him as a in the box saftey,not a true LB.Great quickness.Would be a great rush weapon on third down teamed along with Kevin Brennan and/or Stewart.
Good talent get.

Very happy with this and the Pacheco pick ups. Hopeful all our daily debbie downers can hold off on their complaints for a couple days. Welcome aboard Mr. Mcdonald

Reactions: shields
He measured 6'0 at The Opening so he may have grew a bit in the last year.

agreed - and it certainly looks like they are sticking with accurate & precise assessments there - if you go through the results you see kids measured to the 1/2" and there are several shown as being at 5' 11.5" - so it would seem that if you are listed as 6' 0" - it is a solid & true 6'0"
https://www.theopening.com/2017-new-jersey-results

McDonald, Jayden 18 LB North Gwinnett - GA 6-0 205

so, unlike lots of other stats that are posted on the various recruiting sites, this seems to be pretty focused on reality and not on hopes & aspirations

agreed - and it certainly looks like they are sticking with accurate & precise assessments there - if you go through the results you see kids measured to the 1/2" and there are several shown as being at 5' 11.5" - so it would seem that if you are listed as 6' 0" - it is a solid & true 6'0"

McDonald, Jayden 18 LB North Gwinnett - GA 6-0 205

so, unlike lots of other stats that are posted on the various recruiting sites, this seems to be pretty focused on reality and not on hopes & aspirations

Depending on his frame, that's not too small to rule out him playing LB.

It's funny to think about these things, I'm 6' and a fairly solid 200lbs and I'm considered a big guy by most people. Football is brutal.

Depending on his frame, that's not too small to rule out him playing LB.

It's funny to think about these things, I'm 6' and a fairly solid 200lbs and I'm considered a big guy by most people. Football is brutal.

Plus he was recruited to play the LB spot Williams played last year, which is a hybrid LB/Safety position. He still needs to get bigger, but is a spot you can play in the 225/230 pound range.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Plus he was recruited to play the LB spot Williams played last year, which is a hybrid LB/Safety position. He still needs to get bigger, but is a spot you can play in the 225/230 pound range.
I think the combo safety/LB position can be very effective, I like the more fluid defenses. I do worry about kids holding up for the season as LBs can take a pounding.

At very least, these athletic guys we are bringing in will bolster ST's in a big way

Rutgers got a tight end from Georgia who has left the program already.

I think the combo safety/LB position can be very effective, I like the more fluid defenses. I do worry about kids holding up for the season as LBs can take a pounding.

I'm pretty sure that is the position they are looking at him for. The hybrid spot. He covers very well and has long arms. If you watch his video on rivals, he covers tight ends very very well.

When they talk about getting someone that fits your program and not worrying about stars, this is the exact type recruit. He may be a lower three star because of his size but for us and our defense he's a four star fit.

Reactions: MoobyCow
As a little background, North Gwinnett is a power in Georgia's biggest classification (there are 7). Definitely play against tough competition

Reactions: leonh71
As a little background, North Gwinnett is a power in Georgia's biggest classification (there are 7). Definitely play against tough competition
He basically makes their best competition look slow.

Where did you get the 5' 10" from.
I've seen him listed as 6'2"
http://247sports.com/player/jayden-mcdonald-81831

and 6'1
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jayden-mcdonald-52388

along with 6'0 on another site

Sorry Madhat I estimated 5' 10" - 5' 11" from the picture of him standing next to Ash. I sort of met Chris Ash last year and I was shocked to see how short he was (5' 6"ish) and I'm not very tall myself 5' 9". I estimated Jays height from the picture which was a mistake.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the film. As long as he has the speed, safety might be a great fit.
He's not 5'10 though he's 6'. And he's here to play the hybrid linebacker role where he drops into coverage a lot.

He's not 5'10 though he's 6'. And he's here to play the hybrid linebacker role where he drops into coverage a lot.
Just think logically for a second. As quick and tough as he may be most most Big Ten RB's range between 5' 11" and 6' 225lbs, right? Unless he could shed a chip block from a TE, FB and a pulling Guard he should be parked in a passing lane.

Last edited:
Just think logically for a second. As quick and tough as he may be most most Big Ten RB's range between 5' 11" and 6' 225lbs, right? Unless he could shed a chip block from a TE, FB and a pulling tackle he should be parked in a passing lane.
Most HS recruits go into a strength and conditioning program and though they won't grow taller do gain weight and strength.
Just like most of those RBs you're pointing out probably came in as freshmen weighing less and gained more weight after entering as college football program,
Jayden probably will bulk up under Parker's S&T program and probably wind up closer to 235- 240 after a year or two in the program.

Reactions: RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT