ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 19 MICHIGAN STATE: Spanked

Well that was not pleasant. Unfortunately , this game was played like an early Pike game like year 2-3 . After a terrific start , the Pike sub at the 14:57 mark up 8 removing Mag, Cliff and Paul and the bench didn’t have it as Aundre and Dean and Derek just have minute after minute of a bad sequence. Aundre cannot shoot 0-7 if he is going to get us over the top. Dean’s defense was non existent and Derek did freshman things.

Before the game , I was saying the only way in my opinion MSU could beat us if we are playing our normal game was for them to hit 3’s. They average 7 a game and had 5 at the half and 7 within a minute or two into the second half. They were not going to beat us in the paint but for some reason we decided to leave guys wide open and not contest. All 7 threes were wide open. Totally inexcusable . Giving up 12 was a recipe for disaster even as terrible as we were shooting today. I really did not understand the defense which was scrambling into rotations all night. Did not know why. Only had to stay in front of our man and if beat allow them to take contested 2’s in the lane over our length. That was not the game plan and we got burnt.
Now we are not going to win many games being outscored 12-3 from 3 point land( 36-9), not when Cam shoots 3-14 and 1-12 until the 2 last meaningless buckets and Aundre shoots 0-7. Most of Cam’s shots were wide open making it more frustrating . I thought Pike was going to ride the starters as the game was still there for the taking, but the bench was not able to give us much of anything. But once again a key uncontested layup Miss by Hyatt that would have tied the game at 43 , was followed by Paul throwing it right to his defender leading to run out flush to make it 45-41 . Huge sequence. Would have put the pressure on Michigan State with 12:50 to go in the game. Instead Ru calls a timeout , Cam and Cliff miss easy shots and we could not recover. It is beyond belief that Hyatt has missed 3 critical layups this year , at Miami and SetonHall both late in the game and more impactful and can be argued cost us those games , whereas this one was with 12 minutes left . However , it would have been psychologically important to get the game tied since we were chasing that since we were down 6 at the half.
Now if we continued to play scrambling , overplaying defense instead of just keeping them in front of us and not leaving their guys all alone , it wouldn’t have mattered but damn I would have liked to have been tied and taken my chances.
Rotations tonight did not work in first half with Mag, Cliff and Paul being subbed out and would have not done it again in second half. Maybe not 3 at the same time , maybe just one at a time a few minutes apart . Doing the same thing that didn’t work in first half and hoping something different would happen in second half when no one was seeing any success or advantage with the subs can be argued either way.

Tough shooting night , yes , disappointing and move on and do not dwell on this loss when we shoot as bad as possible but this was a pre winning Rutgers display like from the 2017 - 2018 Pike teams which was the most upsetting part of the night. Our seniors Paul and Caleb have to do a better job when shots don’t fall to remind the team what it took to get to be a winning team and they both failed miserably. They have to move the ball better , cut to the basket and play more inside out to get out of the funk. We cannot be leaving guys wide open. I think all 12 made threes were open or wide open. That cannot happen again.

No you can only say that when you are abysmal. We played poorly in some ways sure. My point is when you shoot 2-17 from three the rest is just noise unless every other aspect of the game is unbelievably good.

the game was two possession at 55-49 with 6:22 left...we were going to Derek Simpson on 3 straight possessions at a critical juncture, he did make a layup, missed a shot and then took an inexplicable 3....now why we would be putting him in that position at a critical juncture rather than Paul Mulcahy is beyond me. From there on it was all Sparty and RU seemed to give up.

In all the run to end the game over the last 34 minutes was 65-43......the only conclusion i could come to is that we outplayed them but just couldnt put the ball in the basket

The first 6 minutes are part of the game.

I don't actually think we played our best tonight. There were some silly plays and some suboptimal shot selection on the offensive side. But even given that we demonstrably did enough to win the game except for the shooting variance. We absolutely murdered them on the offensive boards. The defense was not nearly as much different from normal as you make it sound (we always give up open threes. It's a consequence of the scheme. You just don't notice them when they're missed)

I absolutely did not come out of watching that thinking that MSU was the better team.

Well that was not pleasant. Unfortunately , this game was played like an early Pike game like year 2-3 . After a terrific start , the Pike sub at the 14:57 mark up 8 removing Mag, Cliff and Paul and the bench didn’t have it as Aundre and Dean and Derek just have minute after minute of a bad sequence. Aundre cannot shoot 0-7 if he is going to get us over the top. Dean’s defense was non existent and Derek did freshman things.

Before the game , I was saying the only way in my opinion MSU could beat us if we are playing our normal game was for them to hit 3’s. They average 7 a game and had 5 at the half and 7 within a minute or two into the second half. They were not going to beat us in the paint but for some reason we decided to leave guys wide open and not contest. All 7 threes were wide open. Totally inexcusable . Giving up 12 was a recipe for disaster even as terrible as we were shooting today. I really did not understand the defense which was scrambling into rotations all night. Did not know why. Only had to stay in front of our man and if beat allow them to take contested 2’s in the lane over our length. That was not the game plan and we got burnt.
Now we are not going to win many games being outscored 12-3 from 3 point land( 36-9), not when Cam shoots 3-14 and 1-12 until the 2 last meaningless buckets and Aundre shoots 0-7. Most of Cam’s shots were wide open making it more frustrating . I thought Pike was going to ride the starters as the game was still there for the taking, but the bench was not able to give us much of anything. But once again a key uncontested layup Miss by Hyatt that would have tied the game at 43 , was followed by Paul throwing it right to his defender leading to run out flush to make it 45-41 . Huge sequence. Would have put the pressure on Michigan State with 12:50 to go in the game. Instead Ru calls a timeout , Cam and Cliff miss easy shots and we could not recover. It is beyond belief that Hyatt has missed 3 critical layups this year , at Miami and SetonHall both late in the game and more impactful and can be argued cost us those games , whereas this one was with 12 minutes left . However , it would have been psychologically important to get the game tied since we were chasing that since we were down 6 at the half.
Now if we continued to play scrambling , overplaying defense instead of just keeping them in front of us and not leaving their guys all alone , it wouldn’t have mattered but damn I would have liked to have been tied and taken my chances.
Rotations tonight did not work in first half with Mag, Cliff and Paul being subbed out and would have not done it again in second half. Maybe not 3 at the same time , maybe just one at a time a few minutes apart . Doing the same thing that didn’t work in first half and hoping something different would happen in second half when no one was seeing any success or advantage with the subs can be argued either way.

Tough shooting night , yes , disappointing and move on and do not dwell on this loss when we shoot as bad as possible but this was a pre winning Rutgers display like from the 2017 - 2018 Pike teams which was the most upsetting part of the night. Our seniors Paul and Caleb have to do a better job when shots don’t fall to remind the team what it took to get to be a winning team and they both failed miserably. They have to move the ball better , cut to the basket and play more inside out to get out of the funk. We cannot be leaving guys wide open. I think all 12 made threes were open or wide open. That cannot happen again.

excellent recap, thanks for posting. It was too ugly for me to go into the dissection but you did a good job of hightlighting the issues. What did you think about Paul not being in the game at 55-49 and having Derek shoot on 3 straight possessions, game totally got away after that. Im with you on being disappointed on leaving those 3s wide open and Pike not adjusting at all

Its one game, one loss so the best thing is to flush and not dwell and get back to work and beat Penn State

Reactions: shields
The first 6 minutes are part of the game.

I don't actually think we played our best tonight. There were some silly plays and some suboptimal shot selection on the offensive side. But even given that we demonstrably did enough to win the game except for the shooting variance. We absolutely murdered them on the offensive boards. The defense was not nearly as much different from normal as you make it sound (we always give up open threes. It's a consequence of the scheme. You just don't notice them when they're missed)
oh i notice them when they miss...its usually weak opponents and its opponents where we are speeding their offense up so they are slightly off..thats when our defense is working. as I explained, we were not disrupting anything Michigan State did tonight, even alot of their regular shots were open

Reactions: goru7
Ugly with a capital U. The team's performance isnt even worthy of a recap behind a paragraph or so. Thats how abysmal it was across the board.

RU got out to a 14-5 lead and then was outscored 65-43 the rest of the way. Do not really get fooled, RU was done just 6 with about 8 to go and then the floodgates opened. 6 points felt like 20 and RU never showed they were serious enough to do anything to change the trajectory of the game. Examples were senseless turnovers by Paul and Caleb. Caleb trying to actually run the length of the court trying to play hero after he made a mistake on the other end. Missed assignment after missed assignment on the perimeter leading to wide open 3s by the Spartains. Odd lineup around the 7 minute mark for a two minute stretch when the game was only 6-8 points. Of course Cam couldnt hit the broad side of a barn tonight and Sparty was hitting at a better clip than normal, it wasnt just they made shots and RU didnt. When RU had the chances to do things to seriously get back in the game they did not. Blame all around, even Cliff would had nice numbers 12 and 12 was outplayed by the big white guy. Paul had some nice moves that got RU close then disappeared. Mag was not a factor on either end. Hyatt was brutal. Did not seem like Pike made any adjustments for those open looks by Sparty. The needle was lost long before the final minutes.

Credit Michigan State...tough loss to Purdue, not many days rest and without one of their top starters. They didnt make excuses. They responded. Izzo had them engaged, keyed on Cam early and got him frustrated. Spartans stuck to their task even while they were letting a small window open for Rutgers and then just blew the doors down late over the fading Knights. Michigan State is top 5 in this league if not top 3. Not flashy but when they are on like they were tonight its going to take an effort that just was not there to beat them at the Breslin Center. Really hate the idea of playing them at MSG rather than the RAC but it is what it is.

Not the end of the world but somewhat of a reminder of how limited we are offensively and if we do not play very good defense these games are not going to go our way. Someone said after Temple well we arent going to shoot this poorly again...um yes it can happen and it can happen again. It was not just Cam..it was Hyatt, Mag, Cliff, Caleb. The boxscore is brutal. No sense revisiting. There is a blueprint to win and we didnt follow it. Not going to win them all so big picture not a big deal....as long as we beat Penn State. Not sure anything can be learned from the game tape. By winning at Northwestern and Ohio State, it took pressure off this game being a must win. You move on by beating Penn State at home. Very solid program that has given RU trouble but quite frankly its at home, RU needs to win this game and get back to its bread and butter. Losing happens, its making sure you dont string losses together. A trip to Iowa looms after that so I would say IMO you have to beat Penn State to keep this thing moving and take pressure off of winning on the road in this league
I have a very nice LazyBoy to watch RU games. It's very comfortable on my bum. What say you?

oh i notice them when they miss...its usually weak opponents and its opponents where we are speeding their offense up so they are slightly off..thats when our defense is working. as I explained, we were not disrupting anything Michigan State did tonight, even alot of their regular shots were open
Okay, but NBA players average less than 40% on wide open threes and Michigan State shot 54.5% on all of their threes. So how do you explain that? Were they even opener than wide open? Are they better than NBA shooters?

Reactions: Scangg
excellent recap, thanks for posting. It was too ugly for me to go into the dissection but you did a good job of hightlighting the issues. What did you think about Paul not being in the game at 55-49 and having Derek shoot on 3 straight possessions, game totally got away after that. Im with you on being disappointed on leaving those 3s wide open and Pike not adjusting at all

Its one game, one loss so the best thing is to flush and not dwell and get back to work and beat Penn State
At the 12 minute mark Pike went switch starters. Pike tried to sneak Mulcahy a blow wrapped around a media TO.

If Pike doesn’t play his bench we will be anon factor in March. Izzo and Painter know it. They both played us limiting all players to 32 minutes

To be clear, the argument is not "we played the bestest defense of all time" it's "even against terrible defense they're generally going to shoot less than 40% so basically anything above that threshold at least is pure bad luck"

the game was two possession at 55-49 with 6:22 left...we were going to Derek Simpson on 3 straight possessions at a critical juncture, he did make a layup, missed a shot and then took an inexplicable 3....now why we would be putting him in that position at a critical juncture rather than Paul Mulcahy is beyond me. From there on it was all Sparty and RU seemed to give up.

In all the run to end the game over the last 34 minutes was 65-43......the only conclusion i could come to is that we outplayed them but just couldnt put the ball in the basket
This little sequence is a red herring. In any event if it makes you feel better yes we were abysmal in every facet and our poor shooting and spartys unusually good shooting had nothing to do with it.

At the 12 minute mark Pike went switch starters. Pike tried to sneak Mulcahy a blow wrapped around a media TO.

If Pike doesn’t play his bench we will be anon factor in March. Izzo and Painter know it. They both played us limiting all players to 32 minutes

well thats what happens when you have a 0-7 Hyatt in the first 30 minutes. Players need to play their roles

It wasn't our best defensive game, but MSU outshot expectations even if every shot was a wide open 3. Both can be true.

Rutgers also missed a ton of wide open 3's

The story of this game was 3 point shooting and the variance in MSU's favor and against RU

well thats what happens when you have a 0-7 Hyatt in the first 30 minutes. Players need to play their roles
It is plain and simple to me. Our chances of making a deep run in the NCAAs is dependent on our bench. If the bench is so bad that Pike can’t rest our starters we are doomed.

We have no depth right now. There are 5 guys Pike trusts right now.

It is plain and simple to me. Our chances of making a deep run in the NCAAs is dependent on our bench. If the bench is so bad that Pike can’t rest our starters we are doomed.

6, I think. He still trusts Hyatt to some degree. I think most games we are going to put the bench in for a little and hope for the best. Sometimes it will bite us (it might have today, though at the end of day we were losing this one anyway) and sometimes it won't. Sometimes the bench will play well.

It wasn't our best defensive game, but MSU outshot expectations even if every shot was a wide open 3. Both can be true.

Rutgers also missed a ton of wide open 3's

The story of this game was 3 point shooting and the variance in MSU's favor and against RU
That is the lead story.

1110PM we go with

Reiber/Woolfolk ineffective
Hyatt terrible on both ends
Cliffs offense
Cam having tough time getting shots off vs good defender
General poor play of bench

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
6, I think. He still trusts Hyatt to some degree. I think most games we are going to put the bench in for a little and hope for the best. Sometimes it will bite us (it might have today, though at the end of day we were losing this one anyway) and sometimes it won't. Sometimes the bench will play well.
He trusts Hyatt, but after a game like this (defense) that trust will wane.

The Indiana game seems like a long time ago

Um, no, no, no. Cam was arctic cold tonight. Simple as that. No Cam 15+, no RU.

Um, no, no, no. Cam was arctic cold tonight. Simple as that. No Cam 15+, no RU.
Izzo came in to the game thinking Cam wasn’t going to beat us. Teams are going to adjust and Cam will start seeing the best defenders and schemes to stop him. That should open things up for others.

Izzo came in to the game thinking Cam wasn’t going to beat us. Teams are going to adjust and Cam will start seeing the best defenders and schemes to stop him. That should open things up for others.
Cam got up 8 threes and they were mostly open (one was a bit forced). So not sure Izzo's scheming to stop him really worked so much as he was just cold.

Cam got up 8 threes and they were mostly open (one was a bit forced). So not sure Izzo's scheming to stop him really worked so much as he was just cold.

I think early on they were taking his shot away, later I thought that Cams shots were just a bit rushed although he did have a few later that were wide open

Reactions: fluoxetine
They were up in Cam's grill when he had the ball, but throughout the game Cam had a ton of open 3's. He just had his worst shooting night, possibly in his entire career

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Who had the best 3 games tonight?

It's hard to even pick....

Cliff had a ton of boards 12 and 12

Cam had a good game everywhere but shooting 7 boards 3 assist 3 steals

Caleb 6 boards 5 assists 4 steals but 4 TOs

Paul only 1 board somehow 4 assists 4 TOs

Mag 5 rebounds 2 assists and a block

cant pick anyone because even Paul and Cliff who had some nice things also failed to come up big in big spots....Cliff missing bunnies and free throw and Paul inexplicable turnovers

Caleb not at all given some big blunders in the 2nd half.

Reactions: RW90

Tough dilemma as he was going to Cam who missed shot after shot. I would never have relied on a freshman , nothing against Derek , when you have Cam, Paul , Caleb and Cliff . Derek still thinks he is in high school getting easily blocked at the rim , then the 3 on a step back dribble with no one underneath. For the life of me I do not know why Pike doesn’t do high PNR with Paul and Cliff over and over again until they stop it. Would have let Paul take over and get Cliff back involved. Cliff is getting the ball on the baseline or wider and getting pushed out and trying to force it without straightening out his stance and looking off balance , although he gathered and made a nice move with a lefty layup to cut it to 50-45. We should be getting 20 points from Cliff not 12. He should have posted Caleb or Mag as well as we were getting what we wanted in the paint or getting the offensive rebound. Thought that Hyatt Miss was the key play in the game but even after when the game was between 5-6 down , we missed so many makeable shots. Thought Cam after his great stretch the last 3 games would never shoot like he did earlier against Temple and Miami and his shot would go down 50% of the time but I was unfortunately wrong. The worst part most of his misses were wide open. It wasn’t like that BIG 10 defense or MSU who is known as a good defensive team had anything to do with it. That’s the frustrating part.

Tough dilemma as he was going to Cam who missed shot after shot. I would never have relied on a freshman , nothing against Derek , when you have Cam, Paul , Caleb and Cliff . Derek still thinks he is in high school getting easily blocked at the rim , then the 3 on a step back dribble with no one underneath. For the life of me I do not know why Pike doesn’t do high PNR with Paul and Cliff over and over again until they stop it. Would have let Paul take over and get Cliff back involved. Cliff is getting the ball on the baseline or wider and getting pushed out and trying to force it without straightening out his stance and looking off balance , although he gathered and made a nice move with a lefty layup to cut it to 50-45. We should be getting 20 points from Cliff not 12. He should have posted Caleb or Mag as well as we were getting what we wanted in the paint or getting the offensive rebound. Thought that Hyatt Miss was the key play in the game but even after when the game was between 5-6 down , we missed so many makeable shots. Thought Cam after his great stretch the last 3 games would never shoot like he did earlier against Temple and Miami and his shot would go down 50% of the time but I was unfortunately wrong. The worst part most of his misses were wide open. It wasn’t like that BIG 10 defense or MSU who is known as a good defensive team had anything to do with it. That’s the frustrating part.
The most surprising part of our offense this year is how little we run the high PnR with Paul and Cliff

Cam is also an excellent passer and could run some of it too

The hand off screen from cliff to Paul in the lane going to his right worked very well top recently and we don't really see it

Okay, but NBA players average less than 40% on wide open threes and Michigan State shot 54.5% on all of their threes. So how do you explain that? Were they even opener than wide open? Are they better than NBA shooters?
I understand your point, but when comparing the shooting percentages we also have to take into account that the NBA 3 pt line at the arc is 23'9", vs only 22' 1.75" for college. There's at least a possibility that the NBA guys might shoot a little bit better from the shorter distance.

Not sure what game you watched ! Not only did MSU hit wide open threes , then hit them in rhythm after an extra pass . We did nothing to rush their shots or even make them make an adjustment on their shots. If wasn’t like Sandfort going off from 3 where he had to work his butt off to curl around screens. This was us not being within 8-10 feet of the shooter or when we were within 5 feet we never put a hand up. It wasn’t close to our elite defense , it wasn’t even average defense. It was pathetic defense. Nothing a # 2 ranked defensive team in the country would do. Despite our horrendous shooting , we still might have won the game not allowing 12 made open threes . If you held them to their average of 7 , it is a ball game with 2-3 minutes to go.

Reactions: bac2therac
Relax brothers. Just an off night. Rutgers will still finish high in BIG standings. We weren't destined to win this year. Purdue is better. But going back to Tournament and making bigtime noise.

That is the lead story.

1110PM we go with

Reiber/Woolfolk ineffective
Hyatt terrible on both ends
Cliffs offense
Cam having tough time getting shots off vs good defender
General poor play of bench
Can didn’t have a tough time getting shots off , he missed open shot after open shot . Otherwise , your points are true

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
To say we played like shit across the board implies a lack of effort. I saw no such thing. We crushed MSU on the offensive glass on their home court. That's guys busting their ass.

I don't think there's much nuisance to this game summary. They shot the lights out and we were ice cold. It happens

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
I understand your point, but when comparing the shooting percentages we also have to take into account that the NBA 3 pt line at the arc is 23'9", vs only 22' 1.75" for college. There's at least a possibility that the NBA guys might shoot a little bit better from the shorter distance.
Sure. But the college 3 point percentage is lower than the NBA 3 point percentage. So I see no reason to think college players would hit wide open college three pointers any more than NBA players would hit wide open NBA three pointers.

Not sure what game you watched ! Not only did MSU hit wide open threes , then hit them in rhythm after an extra pass . We did nothing to rush their shots or even make them make an adjustment on their shots. If wasn’t like Sandfort going off from 3 where he had to work his butt off to curl around screens. This was us not being within 8-10 feet of the shooter or when we were within 5 feet we never put a hand up. It wasn’t close to our elite defense , it wasn’t even average defense. It was pathetic defense. Nothing a # 2 ranked defensive team in the country would do. Despite our horrendous shooting , we still might have won the game not allowing 12 made open threes . If you held them to their average of 7 , it is a ball game with 2-3 minutes to go.
So you're going with "opener than wide open" ?

• Haha
Last five opponents have shot 42% from three and we went 3-2. Let's see how we do when we get a five-game stretch where they shoot 33%.
A lot of these open looks are Cliff overplaying on the high screen and his man rolling forcing the weak side help which leaves the defense scrambling and the other team with wide open threes

So you're going with "opener than wide open" ?
Yes because they is something about shooting in rhythm and getting the pass to you right high to allow you to get into your shooting form without an adjustment. Single most important thing a point guard can do or anyone dishing out for the 3 is to make a perfect pass. MSU got that almost all night.

Reactions: bac2therac
Ugly with a capital U. The team's performance isnt even worthy of a recap behind a paragraph or so. Thats how abysmal it was across the board.

RU got out to a 14-5 lead and then was outscored 65-43 the rest of the way. Do not really get fooled, RU was done just 6 with about 8 to go and then the floodgates opened. 6 points felt like 20 and RU never showed they were serious enough to do anything to change the trajectory of the game. Examples were senseless turnovers by Paul and Caleb. Caleb trying to actually run the length of the court trying to play hero after he made a mistake on the other end. Missed assignment after missed assignment on the perimeter leading to wide open 3s by the Spartains. Odd lineup around the 7 minute mark for a two minute stretch when the game was only 6-8 points. Of course Cam couldnt hit the broad side of a barn tonight and Sparty was hitting at a better clip than normal, it wasnt just they made shots and RU didnt. When RU had the chances to do things to seriously get back in the game they did not. Blame all around, even Cliff would had nice numbers 12 and 12 was outplayed by the big white guy. Paul had some nice moves that got RU close then disappeared. Mag was not a factor on either end. Hyatt was brutal. Did not seem like Pike made any adjustments for those open looks by Sparty. The needle was lost long before the final minutes.

Credit Michigan State...tough loss to Purdue, not many days rest and without one of their top starters. They didnt make excuses. They responded. Izzo had them engaged, keyed on Cam early and got him frustrated. Spartans stuck to their task even while they were letting a small window open for Rutgers and then just blew the doors down late over the fading Knights. Michigan State is top 5 in this league if not top 3. Not flashy but when they are on like they were tonight its going to take an effort that just was not there to beat them at the Breslin Center. Really hate the idea of playing them at MSG rather than the RAC but it is what it is.

Not the end of the world but somewhat of a reminder of how limited we are offensively and if we do not play very good defense these games are not going to go our way. Someone said after Temple well we arent going to shoot this poorly again...um yes it can happen and it can happen again. It was not just Cam..it was Hyatt, Mag, Cliff, Caleb. The boxscore is brutal. No sense revisiting. There is a blueprint to win and we didnt follow it. Not going to win them all so big picture not a big deal....as long as we beat Penn State. Not sure anything can be learned from the game tape. By winning at Northwestern and Ohio State, it took pressure off this game being a must win. You move on by beating Penn State at home. Very solid program that has given RU trouble but quite frankly its at home, RU needs to win this game and get back to its bread and butter. Losing happens, its making sure you dont string losses together. A trip to Iowa looms after that so I would say IMO you have to beat Penn State to keep this thing moving and take pressure off of winning on the road in this league
Good recap Bac. Just need to regroup and play well against a good Penn State team.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I don't know where to start but I really believe that RU fans live in a vacuum and truly don't understand how good our coaching staff and development is.......AND they really don't understand what opponents have or don't have.

If we didn't understand or don't follow recruiting closely enough (we shouldn't follow ALL teams, right???), but the Michigan State program, player for player 1 to 13, simply has more players than RU. Why is that important OR why is that relevant in a mid-season regular season game??

Because when MSUs starting Center is getting eaten alive on the offensive glass or the 1st 4 minutes of the game, they have the ability to just go to the bench and try another Top 100 prospect.

Sissiko from MSU struggled and he was actually rated around the same place as Cliff in the 2020 Rivals rankings....he was at #48 overall......Cliff was #46, Hunter Dickinson was #40 overall in the 2020 rankings.

Why am I mentioning recruiting rankings?? Not because I believe they're always accurate BUT if a player has an off game or doesn't develop, you either play someone else OR live with the results.

If I look at Kohler, the frosh center from MSU, he is also a Top 100 kid in the 2022 class. So he comes onto the court and has a higher floor or skill set than what MOST teams bring off the bench.

Let's go to the backcourt and we watched MSU vs Purdue, where Walker went bananas with 30 points......BUT AJ Hoggard is a Top 80 player in the 2020 recruiting class......Jaden Akins is a top 50 overall player in the Top 2021 class. Both guards play solid to excellent on the ball defense and are developing and taking their lumps on offense....today, Hoggard made shots,.most of his career, he couldn't or wouldn't take those 3s.

The point of the thread is you can only play 5 at a time on the court, so how much depth you have can either help you (today vs MSU it helped them), or in past games, their bench wasn't giving them production.

As the season wears on, the teams that have deeper benches that can give you quality minutes off the bench, have a better chance of being able to survive in late January or February. Izzo and Sparty have significantly better players than RU, top to bottom.

But, many will say, "Hawk is being overly dramatic, RU simply missed too many 3s and the defense gave up too many open looks"......

While all of that is true, it is also a time to understand that player development and coaching is why RU is winning games at a consistent level. But it also was a road game, off a tough OT win vs Ohio State and the team was a little flat.

I'm not going to get into the player bashing that a lot of fans here are doing in other threads. It's ridiculous and in poor taste IMO.....if I was a MSU fan and Mady Sissoko was my starting center and he was getting eaten alive on offensive rebounds by Cliff and others, I'd be pretty pissed off at my Top 50 Center too. But all I see in other threads is how terrible Cliff is and I just shake my head and ask "do you want slow footed Hunter Dickinson who plays poor defense"......do fans want MSUs center Mady Sissoko instead?? There's no perfect player folks, that was on display tonight......because Cliff isn't Zach Edey or doesn't make every shot, we're not good or Cliff isn't going to be good in the NBA"?? What other player on offense and defense, rebounding, shot blocking in the B1G, do RU fans want?? LMAO

So......why did RU get beat?? NO it wasn't bad defense....fans have become accustomed to smothering defense....but it is a team defense concept and is not built on 1 on 1 individual defense.

Teams that have players who can get around Spencer and Mulcahy off the dribble, are going to get into the midrange area and find open players.....but its never the 1st pass that beats the defense for the open 3 pointer, it's the 2nd 3rd or maybe 4th pass that finds an open shooter.

It is not something that is fixable.....so before I get killed for being called critical, I'm actually complimenting how connected a team has to be, in order to practice and close out on shooters, get deflections, give help on defense, so we can slow down those passes after a guard gets penetration to find an open player.

12-22 from Sparty from 3 is not an accident......Iowa moving the ball faster than the defense can move after the guard gets into the paint, was not an accident or a bad defensive game by RU.....the guard or perimeter defense giving up the initial breakdown off the dribble, triggers the 3 point shooting.

I don't know if that's fixable this year, but it will be better in future years. As we accumulate better defenders on the perimeter, those "first drives ", will be eliminated and the Iowa and MSU shooting will be guarded better.

But for this year and this game, it bears watching on whether the waves of Top 50 to 100 players littered all over Sparty, will start to take hold and give them legitimate minutes off the bench.

For RU, can Pike and staff find minutes to also develop and watch Simpson learn on the fly?? Or are we as fans going to sink or swim with starters playing 35, 37 and 33, 36 minutes??

I am not worried about this loss or game. We will shoot better in the 2nd matchup and MSU won't shoot 12-22 ( I think)....but I would feel MUCH better in Round 2, if Simpson player more minutes and cut down on Sparty dribble penetration and we can play man to man defense without having to scramble. And I'd like to think we knock down some 3s too.

RU will be fine folks, but Sparty has a better roster, was at home and RU played flat.....but I wouldn't pin this as a Pike or RU was at fault here. Let's see if MSU gets going with a usual February run and we are seeing the start of that, or if this was just one isolated game for both teams (not sharp RU and razor sharp MSU at home).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT