ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 20 PENN STATE: Take a bow, Aundre Hyatt

Don't know about everyone else, but when Hyatt started that drive that ended in the dunk, I said to myself, that I hope he doesn't miss another layup. I was glad to see that he wasn't tentative and finished like he should have.
Hopefully that attitude continues for him.

The defense always gets the plaudits and Caleb has received his share over his time here. Sometimes its good to highlight others who step up. Hyatt never has had a player of the game or recap lead here and he deserved it just like Mag deserved it for Ohio State and Cam got it for Purdue.

Admittedly Hyatt has not been one of my favorite players because of his inconsistencies within the same game. He deserves accolades for his stretch of play yesterday which effectively ended the game. Hyatt will need to provide these spurts if RU has any shot of beating Iowa or making a run past the first round in the NCAA tourney
Fair enough

Mag is doing all kinds of little things helping the team and improving his game and the team with his decision making. Goes unnoticed at times but its happening. His defense dwarfs Hyatt. Mag still got 35 minutes last night.
Mag chasing Funk around was 1B in why we won. Caleb went 6, Mag went 2 and Hyatt came in to shut the door. Paul has a bunch of hits and a bases clearing double.

I will say that you were on the money about everyone was worried about this game and in the end the game wouldnt end up close
It's a good thing you didn't ask me when it was 41-38. The Caleb mid range shot from the corner putting us up 5 was a pretty important play.

I watched PSU play the other day and it was all Pickett directing play off the dribble. I felt pretty confident Caleb would blow that up and force PSU to play differently.

It's a good thing you didn't ask me when it was 41-38. The Caleb mid range shot from the corner putting us up 5 was a pretty important play.

I watched PSU play the other day and it was all Pickett directing play off the dribble. I felt pretty confident Caleb would blow that up and force PSU to play differently.

last night was still a blueprint win....this path has been used before..Indiana and Maryland this year but some other wins in the past

In alot of these games RU isnt able to break the will of the opponent and then games go to 55-55 in the under 4 timeout. Make no mistake though if RU can hit some timely shots they can can win big and even put up over 70 points.

65 is the new 70. Most of our games are in the 62 possession area. 65 is a hair over par and what we need most nights.

PSU 62 poss 65-45
OSU 71 poss (OT remember) 68-64
NW 59 poss 65-62
MD 62 poss 64-50
PUR 62 poss 65-64
IND 66 poss 63-48

Outliers
SHU 59 poss 43-45
WF 69 poss 81-57

I can't even look at Temple and a lesser extent Miami because i don't know how we could have been competitive with this team and the injuries.

Reactions: Scangg
65 is the new 70. Most of our games are in the 62 possession area. 65 is a hair over par and what we need most nights.

PSU 62 poss 65-45
OSU 71 poss (OT remember) 68-64
NW 59 poss 65-62
MD 62 poss 64-50
PUR 62 poss 65-64
IND 66 poss 63-48

Outliers
SHU 59 poss 43-45
WF 69 poss 81-57

I can't even look at Temple and a lesser extent Miami because i don't know how we could have been competitive with this team and the injuries.
omg I love Coach Pike. How consistent are we? He is doing a phenomenal job

Reactions: Scangg and Groz
last night was still a blueprint win....this path has been used before..Indiana and Maryland this year but some other wins in the past

In alot of these games RU isnt able to break the will of the opponent and then games go to 55-55 in the under 4 timeout. Make no mistake though if RU can hit some timely shots they can can win big and even put up over 70 points.
All true but this team is still very underated. We beat Indiana , Maryland , Penn State and Wake Forest by 15 , 14 , 20 and 24 holding them to 48, 50 , 45 and 57. That is insanely good defense but also scored 63, 64, 65 and 81 in games where our defense was good or very good , Penn State , to elite against Maryland , Indiana and Wake Forest. We still have not seen ur offense reach its full potential but it is getting closer. Our offense has another gear and it involves running it and limiting turnovers to single digits and hopefully 5-7. I think the best is yet to come.
This game against Iowa is so critically important and I am really hoping we win and we can ( plus I am starting to hate them ) because it is followed by Minnesota and MSU and a nice winning streak going on the road at Indiana, at Illinois , at Wisconsin , at Penn State and at Minnesota will determine if we are going to win this title. Purdue has a really tough 5 game stretch coming up and ends with a difficult 4 game stretch. I see them losing 3-4 games. We have to stay on their heels.

The poster 1984 summed it up Hyatt the best in the game thread in a typo....Hyatt is pretty steaky, adding sometimes raw, sometimes well done. Hyatt has probably been the most impossible and maddening player here at RU in the last couple of years. Its not because of lack of effort for he is always giving his all. Its because you can see the ability he has and at times the matchup advantage he can provide Rutgers. And Aundre does not need to be a first or 2nd option for RU, he simply needs to play his role as 6th man off the bench providing some offense and be a tough rebounder and defender. Before the last 2 games, it looked like Hyatt was settling into a nice pattern....taking 7 or 8 shots, making 3 or 4 including a 3, got some rebounds, provided quality defensive minutes. The last two games though vs Ohio State and Michigan State saw Hyatt the Horrible....averaging just 17.5 minutes and 0-11 combined. Had to effect his confidence. Even saw on BTN where Raphael Davis called out Hyatt saying if RU is to be successful come tourney time, Hyatt needs to step up. The early going for Hyatt was rough highlighted by an ill advised drive to the hoop and fouling on a 3. Bac could be found in the game thread saying Hyatt shouldnt play the rest of the game....what a maroon. Marinate on this, Hyatt was 0 for his last 13 fg attempts as he was inserted into the lineup when Caleb picked up his 3rd foul of the game early in the 2nd half. Less than 10 minutes of game time later Hyatt taking a bow flexing his muscles as he singlehandedly put 3 daggers into the Penn State players hearts turning them into corpses to be sent back to Happy Valley in a meat wagon.

Rutgers who had played so well defensively in the first half was leaving points on the table and suddenly Penn State had clawed within 3 as Pike was trying to get his starters some rest with a bizarre looking lineup. Ru was able to get a bit of seperation with a bucket by Caleb and 2 free throws from Cliff but what transpired for the next 90 seconds was Aundre Hyatt shining bright like a diamond. A heady drive right up the lane right by everyone for a dunk put RU up 9 and sent the RAC crazies into a frenzy. The momentum clearly shifted and when Hyatt drained a corner 3 on the next possession, the Nittany Lions were on the ropes. Then came the encore, Hyatt with a dead center 3 feeling it, drained and the RAC went bonkers and Shrewsbury called timeout. Suddenly what was looking like a close finish turned into a 13 point lead. There was 8 and half minutes left but the game was effectively over. Aundre Hyatt knew it. The RAC knew it. Coach Shrewsbury knew it. A punishing 16-4 run over 8 minutes of time. All was left was for RU to close it out by turning the vice grips of its unrelenting and unforgiving defense. Mission accomplished.

Perhaps some similarities in this game to Indiana where RU looked great on defense but sputtered a bit on offense in the 2nd half. In that game it was Derek Simpson who reeled off 10 straight points to turn a close game in a comfortable win. Tonight it was another bench player in Hyatt reeling off 8 straight. As maligned as the bench as been...some game providing nothing, the bench has been a key cog in two rousing victories at the RAC. The game itself seemed to follow the same exact Pikiell blueprint. Play elite level defense from the get go and hope the offense can do enough. Playing at home helps thats for sure. When shots fall and you get contributions from unsung guys it does not have to get down to 55-55 in the late stages. Hyatt finished 6-12 fg, 14 points, 2 3s, 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal. His most impactful overall game as a Knight. We know what Paul, Caleb and Cliff can do. Cam has written his book with his big shots this year. We saw Mag write his chapter a few games ago. We had yet to see Hyatt step into the spotlight and play his role to the hilt. Take a bow Aundre and let your play marinate for a while.

And while Hyatt "won" the game, make no mistake this was another team effort. Again starting with elite level defense. RU was locked and loaded from the beginning. Pickett was kept to I think just 5 points in the first half. Lundy was the only one really with any offensive success. RU bothered the Penn State offense. Their passes were a bit late. The shots were often deep into the shot clock and missing badly. The shot delivery was sped up. A much more effective defense than at Michigan State. RU was committed to locking down Pickett and PSU just was not comfortable to deliver those 3s. They were 4-26 for the night which is just horrific and they usually hit on at least 10-24 attempts so you can see it was a night of futility for them. Many of them in the last 5 minutes or so were just heaves, a sign of a team that had been emasculated on the court. The PSU coach said it best. His team was soft. Rutgers looked like men. PSU were boys. Rutgers punched back and the Nittany Lions jumped into their coffin.

So great to get Cliff involved early and back on track. Dominated inside using his height advantage hitting on 5-6 fg in the first half. Inexplicably Cliff went about 19 minutes during the game without taking another shot and he was fouled on that one. Cliff ended up 6-7 fg, a team leading 16 points but his defensive effort was enormous....10 boards, 3 blocks. Cliff was back to being the Cliff we all know and love. Caleb got back to that too. Caleb's offensive and decision making in the last couple of games was a bit questionable. Tonight Caleb had a distinct matchup advantage which he used attacking the rim and hitting some sweet jumpers. This is when he is most effective. 3-7 fg, 4-4 ft, 10 points, 7 boards. Calebs strength is when he isnt forcing his shots, its when he is exploiting the other teams defense. Speaking of defense Caleb was really really good tonight. Mag...not a big offensive night, just 3 shots, one made 3 but some crafty moves to the hoop that got him to the foul line. A whopping 35 minutes and on the court the same time as Hyatt which hadnt been a successful combo this year. Mag ended up with 8 points, 7 boards, 2 steals in yet another sparkling defensive peformance. He is getting so good so quietly. Paul Mulcahy a warriors effort tonight in 38 minutes. This is the kind of senior leadership games you just love from Paul. 6 assists, 5 boards, 5-11 fg, 12 points. Some nice moves underneath the basket and also providing that needed boost to the offense in the first half. Woofolk wasnt bad at all in his 9 minutes hitting a layup. Derek was not effective in his 7 minutes and didnt get back in. Miller got the call for a few minutes likely because Pike wanted to emphasize defense. Last but not least Cam. Oh boy he is in a real slump and it happened so quick. Following up on his brutal 3-14 shooting performance at Michigan State, Cam threw up a goose egg in the first half and connected on just one 3 in the opening few minutes of the 2nd half. Cam finished just 1-7 fg in 20 minutes but more telling was that he didnt play after being yanked around the 14-15 minute mark. Turns out that was the right move. Although Pike had me pulling my hair out for a lineup that saw Miller and Wolf in with Hyatt, Mag and Paul. The move to limit Cam was the right move. Some of those shots were forced. I know you want to have him shoot his way out of the funk, but I did not like some of those shot decisions. I think he was frustrated on offense and it was effecting his defense. Thats a brass balls move for Pike to keep his leading scorer on the bench and ride the hot hand of Hyatt on offense and Mag/Caleb on defense. Cam will break out of it eventually. If you told me RU would beat Penn State by 20 and Cam would only have 3 I would order a straightjacket for you.

To be honest, I was scared of this game. All week the board built up gloom and doom about this game saying it was a bad matchup and on paper it seemed like it was. These teams who rely on 3s have given us fits in 2 of the last 3 games. Its the type of game that RU would drop in the past but that was yesterday..right Phil? I felt this really was a MUST win even this earlier because with Iowa coming up, you just dont want the possibility of a three game skid. Every team in this league will hit a rough patch at some point. You want to put off that rough patch as long as possible and build up some cushion. I do not have a feel on what will go down at Iowa. We had our worst game of the year defensively at home, now we hit the road. Coach Pike gets paid the big bucks to figure it out so I am sure there will be some kind of adjustment in the approach we take. All I ask is that we show up and compete. Minnesota bac at the rac next week and then a three game gauntlet of Michigan State, at Indiana, at Illinois. So this is why Rutgers desperately needed this one. For Penn State I will say they did not impress me as much as I thought they would. They looked better and tougher in games I have watched. I know the RU D has something to do with it but the Lions need to get their act together in a hurry because they did not look like a NCAA team tonight and they already are on the last 4 in/first 4 out lines in early bracketology. They need to start picking up quality wins somewhere.

As for the atmosphere. Students packed their section big time. I absolutely loathe we are giving up almost the entire 110 section to a shitty football program pardon my french but students seats are at a premium and bumping that many is a bridge too far for me. The RAC was just so so for the first 28 minutes but really did its job the last 12 minutes and when RU got up double digits. It became the fun experience we love so much about the RAC. There are some lesser names coming up like Minnesota and Nebraska so the fans will have to help make these games have big time atmospheres too. Good to quickly run into Mrs Screw and Scangg post game. Its always good to meet some of the biggest Rutgers fans on the planet.
His inconsistency is brutal. He looks like he is all Big 10 one half and completely disappears in other halves or whole games.

Last week RU fans said if we just made 4 more 3s we would be in a tight game with Sparty. Well not sure they are saying the same about Penn State which hit only 4-26. There are reasons why teams shoot poorly so it never comes down to just one thing.
It's correct in this game as well. PSU bricked a bunch of open 3s in the first 30 minutes of the game. That's not 100% luck but a lot of it is just good luck (for us). Makes up for the bad luck in the previous game.

This does not apply to the last 10 minutes or so when they were just jacking up frustration threes.

Reactions: kcg88
The poster 1984 summed it up Hyatt the best in the game thread in a typo....Hyatt is pretty steaky, adding sometimes raw, sometimes well done. Hyatt has probably been the most impossible and maddening player here at RU in the last couple of years. Its not because of lack of effort for he is always giving his all. Its because you can see the ability he has and at times the matchup advantage he can provide Rutgers. And Aundre does not need to be a first or 2nd option for RU, he simply needs to play his role as 6th man off the bench providing some offense and be a tough rebounder and defender. Before the last 2 games, it looked like Hyatt was settling into a nice pattern....taking 7 or 8 shots, making 3 or 4 including a 3, got some rebounds, provided quality defensive minutes. The last two games though vs Ohio State and Michigan State saw Hyatt the Horrible....averaging just 17.5 minutes and 0-11 combined. Had to effect his confidence. Even saw on BTN where Raphael Davis called out Hyatt saying if RU is to be successful come tourney time, Hyatt needs to step up. The early going for Hyatt was rough highlighted by an ill advised drive to the hoop and fouling on a 3. Bac could be found in the game thread saying Hyatt shouldnt play the rest of the game....what a maroon. Marinate on this, Hyatt was 0 for his last 13 fg attempts as he was inserted into the lineup when Caleb picked up his 3rd foul of the game early in the 2nd half. Less than 10 minutes of game time later Hyatt taking a bow flexing his muscles as he singlehandedly put 3 daggers into the Penn State players hearts turning them into corpses to be sent back to Happy Valley in a meat wagon.

Rutgers who had played so well defensively in the first half was leaving points on the table and suddenly Penn State had clawed within 3 as Pike was trying to get his starters some rest with a bizarre looking lineup. Ru was able to get a bit of seperation with a bucket by Caleb and 2 free throws from Cliff but what transpired for the next 90 seconds was Aundre Hyatt shining bright like a diamond. A heady drive right up the lane right by everyone for a dunk put RU up 9 and sent the RAC crazies into a frenzy. The momentum clearly shifted and when Hyatt drained a corner 3 on the next possession, the Nittany Lions were on the ropes. Then came the encore, Hyatt with a dead center 3 feeling it, drained and the RAC went bonkers and Shrewsbury called timeout. Suddenly what was looking like a close finish turned into a 13 point lead. There was 8 and half minutes left but the game was effectively over. Aundre Hyatt knew it. The RAC knew it. Coach Shrewsbury knew it. A punishing 16-4 run over 8 minutes of time. All was left was for RU to close it out by turning the vice grips of its unrelenting and unforgiving defense. Mission accomplished.

Perhaps some similarities in this game to Indiana where RU looked great on defense but sputtered a bit on offense in the 2nd half. In that game it was Derek Simpson who reeled off 10 straight points to turn a close game in a comfortable win. Tonight it was another bench player in Hyatt reeling off 8 straight. As maligned as the bench as been...some game providing nothing, the bench has been a key cog in two rousing victories at the RAC. The game itself seemed to follow the same exact Pikiell blueprint. Play elite level defense from the get go and hope the offense can do enough. Playing at home helps thats for sure. When shots fall and you get contributions from unsung guys it does not have to get down to 55-55 in the late stages. Hyatt finished 6-12 fg, 14 points, 2 3s, 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal. His most impactful overall game as a Knight. We know what Paul, Caleb and Cliff can do. Cam has written his book with his big shots this year. We saw Mag write his chapter a few games ago. We had yet to see Hyatt step into the spotlight and play his role to the hilt. Take a bow Aundre and let your play marinate for a while.

And while Hyatt "won" the game, make no mistake this was another team effort. Again starting with elite level defense. RU was locked and loaded from the beginning. Pickett was kept to I think just 5 points in the first half. Lundy was the only one really with any offensive success. RU bothered the Penn State offense. Their passes were a bit late. The shots were often deep into the shot clock and missing badly. The shot delivery was sped up. A much more effective defense than at Michigan State. RU was committed to locking down Pickett and PSU just was not comfortable to deliver those 3s. They were 4-26 for the night which is just horrific and they usually hit on at least 10-24 attempts so you can see it was a night of futility for them. Many of them in the last 5 minutes or so were just heaves, a sign of a team that had been emasculated on the court. The PSU coach said it best. His team was soft. Rutgers looked like men. PSU were boys. Rutgers punched back and the Nittany Lions jumped into their coffin.

So great to get Cliff involved early and back on track. Dominated inside using his height advantage hitting on 5-6 fg in the first half. Inexplicably Cliff went about 19 minutes during the game without taking another shot and he was fouled on that one. Cliff ended up 6-7 fg, a team leading 16 points but his defensive effort was enormous....10 boards, 3 blocks. Cliff was back to being the Cliff we all know and love. Caleb got back to that too. Caleb's offensive and decision making in the last couple of games was a bit questionable. Tonight Caleb had a distinct matchup advantage which he used attacking the rim and hitting some sweet jumpers. This is when he is most effective. 3-7 fg, 4-4 ft, 10 points, 7 boards. Calebs strength is when he isnt forcing his shots, its when he is exploiting the other teams defense. Speaking of defense Caleb was really really good tonight. Mag...not a big offensive night, just 3 shots, one made 3 but some crafty moves to the hoop that got him to the foul line. A whopping 35 minutes and on the court the same time as Hyatt which hadnt been a successful combo this year. Mag ended up with 8 points, 7 boards, 2 steals in yet another sparkling defensive peformance. He is getting so good so quietly. Paul Mulcahy a warriors effort tonight in 38 minutes. This is the kind of senior leadership games you just love from Paul. 6 assists, 5 boards, 5-11 fg, 12 points. Some nice moves underneath the basket and also providing that needed boost to the offense in the first half. Woofolk wasnt bad at all in his 9 minutes hitting a layup. Derek was not effective in his 7 minutes and didnt get back in. Miller got the call for a few minutes likely because Pike wanted to emphasize defense. Last but not least Cam. Oh boy he is in a real slump and it happened so quick. Following up on his brutal 3-14 shooting performance at Michigan State, Cam threw up a goose egg in the first half and connected on just one 3 in the opening few minutes of the 2nd half. Cam finished just 1-7 fg in 20 minutes but more telling was that he didnt play after being yanked around the 14-15 minute mark. Turns out that was the right move. Although Pike had me pulling my hair out for a lineup that saw Miller and Wolf in with Hyatt, Mag and Paul. The move to limit Cam was the right move. Some of those shots were forced. I know you want to have him shoot his way out of the funk, but I did not like some of those shot decisions. I think he was frustrated on offense and it was effecting his defense. Thats a brass balls move for Pike to keep his leading scorer on the bench and ride the hot hand of Hyatt on offense and Mag/Caleb on defense. Cam will break out of it eventually. If you told me RU would beat Penn State by 20 and Cam would only have 3 I would order a straightjacket for you.

To be honest, I was scared of this game. All week the board built up gloom and doom about this game saying it was a bad matchup and on paper it seemed like it was. These teams who rely on 3s have given us fits in 2 of the last 3 games. Its the type of game that RU would drop in the past but that was yesterday..right Phil? I felt this really was a MUST win even this earlier because with Iowa coming up, you just dont want the possibility of a three game skid. Every team in this league will hit a rough patch at some point. You want to put off that rough patch as long as possible and build up some cushion. I do not have a feel on what will go down at Iowa. We had our worst game of the year defensively at home, now we hit the road. Coach Pike gets paid the big bucks to figure it out so I am sure there will be some kind of adjustment in the approach we take. All I ask is that we show up and compete. Minnesota bac at the rac next week and then a three game gauntlet of Michigan State, at Indiana, at Illinois. So this is why Rutgers desperately needed this one. For Penn State I will say they did not impress me as much as I thought they would. They looked better and tougher in games I have watched. I know the RU D has something to do with it but the Lions need to get their act together in a hurry because they did not look like a NCAA team tonight and they already are on the last 4 in/first 4 out lines in early bracketology. They need to start picking up quality wins somewhere.

As for the atmosphere. Students packed their section big time. I absolutely loathe we are giving up almost the entire 110 section to a shitty football program pardon my french but students seats are at a premium and bumping that many is a bridge too far for me. The RAC was just so so for the first 28 minutes but really did its job the last 12 minutes and when RU got up double digits. It became the fun experience we love so much about the RAC. There are some lesser names coming up like Minnesota and Nebraska so the fans will have to help make these games have big time atmospheres too. Good to quickly run into Mrs Screw and Scangg post game. Its always good to meet some of the biggest Rutgers fans on the planet.
I hate the constant bashing of the football program. It seems myopic and disloyal. And not long ago it was football riding high with a shitty basketball program. Thank god when the funds were allocated for the practice facility there was support for it, even though the program was undeniably shitty at that time. It’s all one University.

yes from about the 9 minute mark of first half to 11 and change in 2nd half..actually longer because he was fouled so shot attempt didnt account

Cliff was 5-6 fg early and then finished 6-7 fg officially...wow
I would think our best offense is to run Paul and Cliff in high PNR until they stop it with Cam or Hyatt in the corner for the three and if Paul doesn’t pull the trigger on the shot or pass, then just reverse to Caleb and or Mag to a post up letting Cam reset for the kick out 3. I want Pike to run this more and keeps Cliff involved all game.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
yes from about the 9 minute mark of first half to 11 and change in 2nd half..actually longer because he was fouled so shot attempt didnt account

Cliff was 5-6 fg early and then finished 6-7 fg officially...wow
I am getting hammered for it...maybe deservedly so.....On Hyatt's 1st 3 and the dunk the right play was a pass from Hyatt to Cliff who was in both situation in great spots.

HOWEVER 2 rebuttals.

1. The obvious...we scored 5 points on those 2 referenced plays
2. TOs have been an issue and passes to the post are prone to TOs, esecially lobs thrown to the corner of the backboard

actually in the early to mid 2000s before football won, the mediocre hoops program was funnelling money to support the shitty football program and Uncle Bob punted on any practice facility or any upgrades for hoops

Honestly Im over football, Im not stupid, i know footballs importance, i am about ready to drop season tickets which i have had for 30 years. Just does not do anything for me. Football never really rode high. Had one great season and then followed it up with just okay 7-5/8-4 seasons in weak conference where RU never won a title. Not buying into the fact that RU football can ever compete for Big 10 championships...its not like hoops and with NIL its almost a futile effort. That GS has failed so hard to recruit in his initial few years says alot

this is a hoops board, in the old days I tried to be fair to football but honestly I dont really care all that much anymore about it. Some people felt that way about hoops back in the day and they had that right.

I would think our best offense is to run Paul and Cliff in high PNR until they stop it with Cam or Hyatt in the corner for the three and if Paul doesn’t pull the trigger on the shot or pass, then just reverse to Caleb and or Mag to a post up letting Cam reset for the kick out 3. I want Pike to run this more and keeps Cliff involved all game.
There was at times a reluctance to feed him in the post. We had instances where there was good spacing and entry passes weren't made.

I do think Pike has made an emphasis to stop turnovers. Feeding the post puts you at risk.

To your point we have not seen A LOT of PNR with the two.

On the flip side Hyatts layup with 3:20 on the B10 game highlights is an excellent exhibit of us running offense and having the offense work for us not using PNR

I am getting hammered for it...maybe deservedly so.....On Hyatt's 1st 3 and the dunk the right play was a pass from Hyatt to Cliff who was in both situation in great spots.

HOWEVER 2 rebuttals.

2. TOs have been an issue and passes to the post are prone to TOs, esecially lobs thrown to the corner of the backboard
I love when you give both sides in 1 post. The reason the Hyatt fake the Cliff pass and then drive to the hoop for the dunk was the right move was because sometimes shooters need to see the ball go in the basket then they can relax and shoot it freely. Hyatt was scoreless the 2 previous games 0-7 and 0-5 and in the first half yesterday. He missed a game tying uncontested layup at MSU . But guess what , once the dunk went down he hit those 2 threes back to back on either back to back possessions or maybe in next 3 possessions , and game was over . But more importantly , we get a confident player in Hyatt that can let it go freely. As the 6th man , when Hyatt gets 8-14 off the bench I think our chances to win go up exponentially. That is why it was the right play.

As I've said before I'd like to see much more of this, especially if the offense is struggling. It should be our go to when we need a bucket. I thought we would see too much of it this season but we rarely run it

I love when you give both sides in 1 post. The reason the Hyatt fake the Cliff pass and then drive to the hoop for the dunk was the right move was because sometimes shooters need to see the ball go in the basket then they can relax and shoot it freely. Hyatt was scoreless the 2 previous games 0-7 and 0-5 and in the first half yesterday. He missed a game tying uncontested layup at MSU . But guess what , once the dunk went down he hit those 2 threes back to back on either back to back possessions or maybe in next 3 possessions , and game was over . But more importantly , we get a confident player in Hyatt that can let it go freely. As the 6th man , when Hyatt gets 8-14 off the bench I think our chances to win go up exponentially. That is why it was the right play.
3 point shooting especially is about confidence. As soon as Hyatt dunked that, I knew he would hit a couple 3's.

I had a feeling this would be a get right game. I think the weekend off was needed after so many games in a row. I think this teams success will come down to cliff, Simpson, and mag. I think I know what to expect from everyone else on the team. Cliff and derek ooze offensive potential, but have not quite fully harnessed it. Yesterday was a great step forward for cliff. Mag is also on the right track offensively.

HOWEVER 2 rebuttals.

You are taking a beating.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the shot before when Caleb was still sitting. That off balance fade away was brutal to watch - until he knocked it down. seemed to finally get him going on offense.

You are taking a beating.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the shot before when Caleb was still sitting. That off balance fade away was brutal to watch - until he knocked it down. seemed to finally get him going on offense.
One 3 pointer in the corner Cliff had his man pinned and i yelled NO!!! and then YES!

Aundre Hyatt night at the RAC
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT