ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 34 HOFSTRA: Closure

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Getting excited for the NIT was liking taking a spoonful of cherry cough syrup as a child. Yet by the time everyone got to their seats in the RAC, it was like eating your favorite donut. Something about this place. The passion and charm runs effusive. Forget the players, imagine as a fan getting your heart ripped out on Selection Sunday and picking yourself off the mat and showing up in short notice in those numbers last night. Dare I say best atmosphere since Indiana even with only 5k and students showing too. It was great to sit down in the 100s again last night and those sections were more a superfan area than normally. See because last night you saw the heart and soul of the fanbase. Many familiar faces from old NIT runs back in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. No it wasn't a NCAA tourney game but it might as well been. Caught up in the moment, more basketball, cheering your school on. The RAC gave their all to try and push Rutgers over the finish line last night.

Alas it was not to be. Rutgers would fall short 88-86 in overtime against a Hofstra squad that showed pluck and aplomb. Rutgers played hard but not hard enough. The defense was some of the worst seen all year long. The effort was there but not sure the hunger was. That was understandable. Hofstra made a barrage of unlikely jumpers and 3 and seemed to get every bounce or board. It was their Super Bowl. Give them all the credit in the world. They won their conference yet saw Charleston get all the headlines all year long and the spoils of going to the NCAA tournament at their expense. Hofstra deserved it. Derek could have hit that shot and they could have played 10 overtimes and in my opinion Rutgers was never going to win this game.

A microcosm of the season. Exhilarating and exuberant wins and stupendous and shattering defeats. On the cusp of their goals only to have the rug pulled out from under them time and time again. Was losing a 5 point lead with 27 seconds surprising in the least bit. It is sabotage I tell ya. The soaring wins brought with them a bag full of booby traps. Rutgers could not sustain success last night just as they could not all year long. Ambushes in wait. 16-8/8-4 to start the year, thoughts of a 4/5 seed line sank like the Titanic and that is not an exaggeration. The Mag injury sent Rutgers into a death spiral. Even thought they fought valiantly at times to stave off, there was simply not enough in the tank to pull from. Rutgers lost 6 times at the RAC, 4 in a row, and 3 of the last 4 losses were not even to a NCAA schools. Rutgers had nothing left to give last. Do not get fooled by the offensive showing. That is not the Rutgers game and it masked what we all knew about this team deep down inside. Its unfortunate. Whether it was the early season injuries, the Mag injury, or the Minnesota loss, it was one thing after another. The basketball gods whimsy giving them pleasure. One last cruel joke as they toyed with the Rutgers community on Selection Sunday.

Yet Rutgers is on solid footing. We can all complain about Pike's recruiting holes and some of his stubborn strategy and his inability to figure things out to get this team to achieve their NCAA goals but no one can say he and the staff did not work their asses off. Pikiell is doing it the right way in a world of college basketball where doing it wrong sometimes gets applauded. Watch that press conference from last night. The emotion from Pike who is usually very flat and composed says a lot. The effusive honest praise by his players should always be remembered. Ron and Geo were the darlings of the program who got all the attention for putting the program on the map. Caleb McConnell though was the epitome of the soul of the program. Unheralded and bouncing back from all kinds of obstacles and injuries including a horrid stretch to start the 2021-2022 season that had many here wanting to see him ride pine and for good reason. Picking himself off the mat to become the greatest defensive player in Rutgers history for two years in a row alone puts him on what is becoming a suddenly crowded Rutgers Mount Rushmore.

As a fan its been a rollercoaster The highs were replaced by too many lows. 8 losses in the last 11 games. 4 straight losses at the RAC. A blindside on Selection Sunday. Pretty tough for a fan to keep bouncing back from that. The Hofstra loss was disenchanting. Yet is provided the needed closure for not only the staff and players but the for the fans. Last night was a therapy session for all of us. One last shot at showing appreciation for this snake bitten team. One last time to cheer the hell out of them. Be Proud Rutgers Nation. Held off on a recap last night because did not quite know my thoughts. Yet this morning I am at peace. Closure has come to me. Every new beginning comes from some others beginning's end. This era of RU basketball came to a close last night and in some ways it needed to and that is okay. The NCAA tourney is a great love of mine. I know I can start filling out brackets. I know I will get sucked into the games. For the program Rutgers did not make the NCAA this year after 2 straight years (really 3) of making it. It is fair to criticize. This is big boy basketball and Pike is now getting the big money. I can understand why this year is a failure in some people's eyes. We all are disappointed. Yet Rutgers is not going anywhere. The biggest recruits are yet to come. Pike had a rag tag bunch very close this year. A group who was greater than the sum of its parts. With a little more talent and a lot more depth there will be more exciting times to come.

Excellent review!!
Thought Officiating was awful in the first half and we could have had a bigger lead. Oh well.
As BAC notes crowd was revved up and fans who wanted to be there. A crappy weather day, students on break? and on short notice, the RAC was packed and as boisterous as any all year.
Kudos to Caleb!! Thanks! We might not see another player like him for a long time.
Cam had a very nice game and almost willed us to victory.
The one big thing about this loss is we could have got more experience for Simpson who is going to be very good.
It was a very entertaining game and we did play very well offensively just could not get a stop on D.
Not our best rebounding game but rebounding threes is often a crap shoot. That’s basketball.
Reminded me very much of the St. John’s game a few years where nobody missed and crazy shots went in.
I think another reason we did so well early in the year is that we were hitting all our foul shots. Lately we haven’t and the results have shown it.
Mesh in Portugal and hope Cliff and Paul comeback. If not still mesh in Portugal and take off with the recruiting classes for the next year.
Fun year! Frustrating Year. Screw the B1G for the crap they put us through, OSU and MSU at the Garden. Screw the NCAA!
Go RU!!

Last edited:
Well said. This season met my overall goal, which was to show that this program is sustainable and can survive losing players like Ron and geo. Mission accomplished (even if it was a frustrating path). Now it’s on pike to take that next step. The “my guys are my guys” ideology needs some slight tinkering. Can he land a big fish PG? Is Paul willing to accept a different role? I’d really love to see a bench that includes Simpson, Griffiths, and wolf.

The short turnaround didn't help us. I know it happens in tournaments, but usually you have at least a few days to prep for your first round opponent. Even one more day might have helped with game planning, especially on defense. C'est la vie, it was the NIT which doesn't matter much no matter how you look at it. The real season ended sooner.

Thanks Bac for helping give all of us some closure. It was a stressful year of ups and downs. I am in the camp that believes the loss of Mag was much bigger than the normal loss of one player. His high energy extended to the entire team and it was never the same without him. I am optimistic for the future and regardless of everyone’s opinions on here, ultimately it is Pike who will decides who stays and who goes. I believe results next year will be much better . But time to move on to other RU teams including the prospects for the 23 Football team.
Thanks again for your time and efforts to give an honest recap.

Good recap. I was very uncomfortable with all the double bye talk in the conference championship before we had earned a NCAA bid. And our margin for error in winning B1G games was such that we couldn’t take anything for granted at that time.

The Minnesota meltdown ended up being a dagger to our NCAA hopes. And the win vs Michigan in the conference tournament ended up being fools gold for RU fans as the committee had already written us off as a tournament team.

The good news is that the future is bright as the incoming talent is a major upgrade to the current players on the team.

I am thankful that Pike didn’t criticize the committee for snubbing us, because CBB fans would have vilified us for last nights loss. It’s better that this season ends quietly and we regroup for next season.

The Minnesota meltdown was the only bitterness I take away from that season. Pike did a bad job in that game not keeping the team focused for 40 minutes. Other than that, I'm really hopeful moving forward.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Getting excited for the NIT was liking taking a spoonful of cherry cough syrup as a child. Yet by the time everyone got to their seats in the RAC, it was like eating your favorite donut. Something about this place. The passion and charm runs effusive. Forget the players, imagine as a fan getting your heart ripped out on Selection Sunday and picking yourself off the mat and showing up in short notice in those numbers last night. Dare I say best atmosphere since Indiana even with only 5k and students showing too. It was great to sit down in the 100s again last night and those sections were more a superfan area than normally. See because last night you saw the heart and soul of the fanbase. Many familiar faces from old NIT runs back in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. No it wasn't a NCAA tourney game but it might as well been. Caught up in the moment, more basketball, cheering your school on. The RAC gave their all to try and push Rutgers over the finish line last night.

Alas it was not to be. Rutgers would fall short 88-86 in overtime against a Hofstra squad that showed pluck and aplomb. Rutgers played hard but not hard enough. The defense was some of the worst seen all year long. The effort was there but not sure the hunger was. That was understandable. Hofstra made a barrage of unlikely jumpers and 3 and seemed to get every bounce or board. It was their Super Bowl. Give them all the credit in the world. They won their conference yet saw Charleston get all the headlines all year long and the spoils of going to the NCAA tournament at their expense. Hofstra deserved it. Derek could have hit that shot and they could have played 10 overtimes and in my opinion Rutgers was never going to win this game.

A microcosm of the season. Exhilarating and exuberant wins and stupendous and shattering defeats. On the cusp of their goals only to have the rug pulled out from under them time and time again. Was losing a 5 point lead with 27 seconds surprising in the least bit. It is sabotage I tell ya. The soaring wins brought with them a bag full of booby traps. Rutgers could not sustain success last night just as they could not all year long. Ambushes in wait. 16-8/8-4 to start the year, thoughts of a 4/5 seed line sank like the Titanic and that is not an exaggeration. The Mag injury sent Rutgers into a death spiral. Even thought they fought valiantly at times to stave off, there was simply not enough in the tank to pull from. Rutgers lost 6 times at the RAC, 4 in a row, and 3 of the last 4 losses were not even to a NCAA schools. Rutgers had nothing left to give last. Do not get fooled by the offensive showing. That is not the Rutgers game and it masked what we all knew about this team deep down inside. Its unfortunate. Whether it was the early season injuries, the Mag injury, or the Minnesota loss, it was one thing after another. The basketball gods whimsy giving them pleasure. One last cruel joke as they toyed with the Rutgers community on Selection Sunday.

Yet Rutgers is on solid footing. We can all complain about Pike's recruiting holes and some of his stubborn strategy and his inability to figure things out to get this team to achieve their NCAA goals but no one can say he and the staff did not work their asses off. Pikiell is doing it the right way in a world of college basketball where doing it wrong sometimes gets applauded. Watch that press conference from last night. The emotion from Pike who is usually very flat and composed says a lot. The effusive honest praise by his players should always be remembered. Ron and Geo were the darlings of the program who got all the attention for putting the program on the map. Caleb McConnell though was the epitome of the soul of the program. Unheralded and bouncing back from all kinds of obstacles and injuries including a horrid stretch to start the 2021-2022 season that had many here wanting to see him ride pine and for good reason. Picking himself off the mat to become the greatest defensive player in Rutgers history for two years in a row alone puts him on what is becoming a suddenly crowded Rutgers Mount Rushmore.

As a fan its been a rollercoaster The highs were replaced by too many lows. 8 losses in the last 11 games. 4 straight losses at the RAC. A blindside on Selection Sunday. Pretty tough for a fan to keep bouncing back from that. The Hofstra loss was disenchanting. Yet is provided the needed closure for not only the staff and players but the for the fans. Last night was a therapy session for all of us. One last shot at showing appreciation for this snake bitten team. One last time to cheer the hell out of them. Be Proud Rutgers Nation. Held off on a recap last night because did not quite know my thoughts. Yet this morning I am at peace. Closure has come to me. Every new beginning comes from some others beginning's end. This era of RU basketball came to a close last night and in some ways it needed to and that is okay. The NCAA tourney is a great love of mine. I know I can start filling out brackets. I know I will get sucked into the games. For the program Rutgers did not make the NCAA this year after 2 straight years (really 3) of making it. It is fair to criticize. This is big boy basketball and Pike is now getting the big money. I can understand why this year is a failure in some people's eyes. We all are disappointed. Yet Rutgers is not going anywhere. The biggest recruits are yet to come. Pike had a rag tag bunch very close this year. A group who was greater than the sum of its parts. With a little more talent and a lot more depth there will be more exciting times to come.
Good review Bac but I think you let this team off the hook too easily. What happened to the stifling defense? Where did the defense go, the same one that held some of the top teams in the BIG to barely reach 60pts? That started to collapse before Mag was out. You can try to use Mag's injury to cover for the team but it is still a team sport and one injury cannot explain the collapse that we witnessed over the last 11 games.
What happened to paul, Hyatt, rieber, and others? All those guys were scoring pretty consistently and then collapsed. Cam was our most reliable scorer but he cannot do it all himself.
Lastly, What went on with Pike, I'll admit he has gotten Rutgers basketball back to relevancy but what can he say to explain the 2nd half season meltdown? This is a team that up to 11 gmaes ago seemed to be a high seed in the tourney and then it all went pear shaped. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I look forward to the discussion of how this team can move beyond this season. Lets just hope all our recruits are still on board.

Great recap, I have accepted the results, knowing the limitations of the current roster.

I really didn't understand why some fans are cut throat and why they don't buy into what Pike has built. I can see both sides of the coin.

There are fans that may applaud Pike and how dedicated he has become and he is the face of RU sports right now. That is a fact and he has taken the lead in terms of RU athletics in terms of credibility and integrity, image, everything you would want in a HC.

And there's a "Yankee fan" mentality where they truly believe RU can just plug and replace players, have them play excellent defense, become great ambassadors for the school etc. Not every player has that fabric or has completely bought into that aspect.

There is a cut-throat aspect that I can understand seeing that press conference and saying "Pike is too loyal".....part of that may be true, but you assuredly don't or won't get the bounce backs and resilience, when you aren't connected, like this staff is with the players......and it has now actually reached the fanbase.

To a certain extent, Pike is or has threaded the needle for 4 straight years. He has build something very different and it has a Brian Leonard feel to things. The players are now bigger than life, not because of their talents, but because they're relatable.....they're R guys.

As a fan who breathes basketball, there is a fine line of making some very either difficult or obvious decisions. Some of these players on the roster, need improvements, need to get better and some may not actually make it through to next season. Some players with an extra year, probably should stay if they could, because I think Pike and this staff, get the most out of players.

On the other hand, to truly move things forward, this chapter of building blocks isn't over, it's just being passed down to the next core group. I believe Cliff doesn't get enough credit as that type of player, because he was highly rated and is a Top 50 kid. But he is a worker.

Mawot Mag, to me, is the next phase of what RU basketball needs to extend into from past success to future success. Cliff, Mawot are those bridge players that need to keep this culture going on what the original core group built.

Mulcahy and Caleb for 4 and 5 years are all you could ask for a pieces to the big picture. I'm hopeful that despite some limitations that we have all discussed, that their play and work ethic far exceeds what anyone could have guessed for both players.

This offseason for new additions, potential transfer portal stuff and 2024 recruiting, might be the most anticipated 6 to 8 months in RU basketball history. It has gotten off to a great start and this will likely be a blip on the radar. RU basketball is in solid shape and will be better in the next 7 years under Pike, just as much as the first 7.

bac- as usual great recap of the game and season.It turned out to be a roller coaster type season with highs and lows.In the end of the season the team simply didn't make the plays at critical times to win nail biter type games.The team played hard while overcoming injuries to key players.Pikiell has showed time and again his devotion to Rutgers University, the players and the fan base.One of his favorite lines is overcoming obstacles and there surely were plenty this season.Not achieving another NCAA bid was heart breaking for everyone who supports the basketball program.The challenge going forward is to quickly determine the players who won't be returning and replace them from the transfer portal with players with the quickness to defend as well as create shots off the dribble.If all goes well with recruiting in the next couple of years ,Rutgers hopefully won't be worried about being considered a NCAA bubble team.

Bac, nice job all season. For me I feel a sense of relief that the torture of this season is over. This team was not entertaining to watch, instead, it was stomach turning to watch. The offense was so stagnantly deficient adn the scoring so impotent that it often negatively impacted the defense. That's because its hard to maintain defensive intensity in all sports when you can't score. I hope moving forward that our ability to score greatly improves and that watching our team becomes much more entertaining. I keep my fingers crossed that notwithstanding collapse at the end of this season, our 4-5 stars verbal recruits eventually give us written commitments.

Hofstra had some open threes and they also made some ridiculous threes. Think they shot a very solid 38.5%. But they shot 27/41 on 2s! They bullied themselves to get good mid-range shots and occasionally just blew by and got to the hoop.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
@bac2therac

While I don't read all of your post game reviews I have read enough of them and enough of some of them. Enough that I would say this was one of your best. That first paragraph.. wow. That's exactly how I felt last night.

I only made a couple games this year but me and my long time guest ( my now 30 year old son) got to sit middle and first row of 200. (Hard to believe he's been coming with me for 20+ years already)

I was so impressed by the crowd as noted by the thread I started last night that got pretty much zero response. I fvcked up by calling my rep from the game about getting two Court side seats for Saturday.

Bac, nice job all season. For me I feel a sense of relief that the torture of this season is over. This team was not entertaining to watch, instead, it was stomach turning to watch. The offense was so stagnantly deficient adn the scoring so impotent that it often negatively impacted the defense. That's because its hard to maintain defensive intensity in all sports when you can't score. I hope moving forward that our ability to score greatly improves and that watching our team becomes much more entertaining. I keep my fingers crossed that notwithstanding collapse at the end of this season, our 4-5 stars verbal recruits eventually give us written commitments.
Trust me I understand how sickening some of the season was but this team was AMAZING to watch 70% of the season play. And unlike the FB team who's offense is perhaps 5x worse our D was enough to win many games.
Cam is awesome shooting and Simpson brought a bag of hope. Mag was coming on. If that's Pike recruiting 2.0 it's a good thing.

bac your message deserves this
30a51dd1b7889497434d513409a48720.gif

Outstanding "Closing Time" recap, bac. I was upset last night but ultimately at peace. We were a limited team, especially after Mag went down, and Pike could only squeeze so much juice from this orange.

Overall, the season was a huge missed opportunity, truly Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. After MSU, we were 16-7 (8-4) and on the cusp of a top 4 finish in the B1G, another NCAA tournament appearance, and I think the possibility of making a Sweet 16 run.

And then it all came crashing down like a lead balloon.

Mag tears an ACL and the team just never recovered. It wasn't so much his 8 ppg and 5 rpg -- those "stats" could be made up elsewhere (almost). The issue was that the Rutgers team was like a puzzle this year, with all pieces fitting neatly into their rightful places -- Paul as the leader/PG; Cam as the sharpshooting SG; Caleb as the lockdown defender; Mag as the rugged and athletic "4" who played tough defense and was efficient and consistent on both ends; Cliff as the uber-athletic center who gobbled rebounds, defended the rim, and was a consistent double-double; Hyatt as a streaky 6th man; Simpson as the budding star at backup Guard; Woolf as the backup C to provide minutes and fouls and an occasional athletic flourish.

But when Mag went down, we didn't have a puzzle piece that was equal. The puzzle pieces never quite "fit" after that, as neither Hyatt nor Palmquist could do what Mag can do. And by the time Pike figured out an adjustment -- starting Simpson -- it was too little, too late. And frankly, I'm still not sure the puzzle was ever really fixed, even with Simpson. We just weren't the same.

And so ends another season of heartbreak for Rutgers fans. But as bac said, we can all take solace in the fact that the program is in the right hands and still trending upwards. As I have said many a time this year, LET'S FVCKING GO!!!!

Great recap, I have accepted the results, knowing the limitations of the current roster.

I really didn't understand why some fans are cut throat and why they don't buy into what Pike has built. I can see both sides of the coin.

There are fans that may applaud Pike and how dedicated he has become and he is the face of RU sports right now. That is a fact and he has taken the lead in terms of RU athletics in terms of credibility and integrity, image, everything you would want in a HC.

And there's a "Yankee fan" mentality where they truly believe RU can just plug and replace players, have them play excellent defense, become great ambassadors for the school etc. Not every player has that fabric or has completely bought into that aspect.

There is a cut-throat aspect that I can understand seeing that press conference and saying "Pike is too loyal".....part of that may be true, but you assuredly don't or won't get the bounce backs and resilience, when you aren't connected, like this staff is with the players......and it has now actually reached the fanbase.

To a certain extent, Pike is or has threaded the needle for 4 straight years. He has build something very different and it has a Brian Leonard feel to things. The players are now bigger than life, not because of their talents, but because they're relatable.....they're R guys.

As a fan who breathes basketball, there is a fine line of making some very either difficult or obvious decisions. Some of these players on the roster, need improvements, need to get better and some may not actually make it through to next season. Some players with an extra year, probably should stay if they could, because I think Pike and this staff, get the most out of players.

On the other hand, to truly move things forward, this chapter of building blocks isn't over, it's just being passed down to the next core group. I believe Cliff doesn't get enough credit as that type of player, because he was highly rated and is a Top 50 kid. But he is a worker.

Mawot Mag, to me, is the next phase of what RU basketball needs to extend into from past success to future success. Cliff, Mawot are those bridge players that need to keep this culture going on what the original core group built.

Mulcahy and Caleb for 4 and 5 years are all you could ask for a pieces to the big picture. I'm hopeful that despite some limitations that we have all discussed, that their play and work ethic far exceeds what anyone could have guessed for both players.

This offseason for new additions, potential transfer portal stuff and 2024 recruiting, might be the most anticipated 6 to 8 months in RU basketball history. It has gotten off to a great start and this will likely be a blip on the radar. RU basketball is in solid shape and will be better in the next 7 years under Pike, just as much as the first 7.
And let me add this -- I don't often agree with Hawk on this board, but I agree with this post 100%. Spot on, Hawk.

Great recap Bac. Big fan of your recaps in general. Looking forward to the future, ND agree...this was the limping end of a great and memorable era. If Paul does move on, and we know Caleb has to, these guys will always have a special place, and the future and turning the page is something that sometimes needs to happen.

Great recap BAC and throughout the season. Being a longtime fan (>30 years), this programs is still in the best shape it's ever been. With the higher performances come the higher expectations. For the fans since the 90s, 2000s, and early 2010s, we could have only hoped for this level of consistent success that we are now getting. The past few days have been difficult from the selection show and last night's heartbreaker. But overall, I can't be more happy with the program's recent success and potential possibilities going forward.

I agree with 95 percent of what you wrote here

Reactions: bac2therac

Very well written and on point. Thank you!

Great summary. Agree this marks the end of the era. Now the next steps ahead in the journey.

Also, agree the crowd last night in the second half and OT was as good as any atmosphere since the Illinois game last year. Just loud, standing, relentless energy. It was awesome and despite the last shot was a great way to cap off the year.

That might have been the finest recap that you have ever written and you have written so many great ones.

The future is so bright......

Best of Luck,
Groz

While I can understand the frustrations people have given how well the team played at times this year, what ultimately happened was very common, poorly timed injuries and a loss of confidence derailed the season. Every team deals with injuries, but the timing, severity and players impacted proved to be crushing for us. And when things started heading downhill we didn’t have the stud player to fall back on who could carry the load and help turn things around. I know a lot of people have complained about the lack of depth, but in college basketball today, few teams have any real depth, and everyone plays short benches. When players start going down, most teams will be in trouble.

With respect to Hofstra, they played great, and their fast paced style of play is our Achilles heel, at least for this recent version of our team. This was not a surprise to the gambling world, we were only a modest favorite at home, and quite honestly this Hofstra team would probably be able to beat a number of Big 10 teams with their style of play. Hopefully with the influx of talent we have coming, we will be better able to deal with teams we can’t slow down, and in fact I am hoping we will begin to speed up and play a more modern version of the game.

Don’t let the end of this year get you down, good times are coming. We have much more talented players coming in, and we will be able to do things that weren’t possible in the past. I am very interested to see how Pike adapts to the players coming in. Defense will always be important, but I think we will start playing at a different pace and will be able to compete effectively with all styles of play, and maybe even push the rest of the teams in the Big 10 to change with the times.

Perfect dude. Perfect.

Well said. This season met my overall goal, which was to show that this program is sustainable and can survive losing players like Ron and geo. Mission accomplished (even if it was a frustrating path). Now it’s on pike to take that next step. The “my guys are my guys” ideology needs some slight tinkering. Can he land a big fish PG? Is Paul willing to accept a different role? I’d really love to see a bench that includes Simpson, Griffiths, and wolf.
The season did not meet my goal of making the NCAA tournament and breaking a record with 3 consecutive years in the tournament (yes, I know, it already was 3 years). In my opinion, the selection committee screwed Rutgers because they deserved to be Dancing. I must have enjoyed the season because, like Pike, I wish the team was still playing and there was another game. I didn't know what to expect without Geo and Ron, but the players worked hard and for most of the year they were a very good team, and they had some great wins. Will miss Caleb and his outstanding defense. With the recruits coming in the future does look bright. Looking forward to seeing Gavin Griffiths play. Best wishes to all in the MBB program, and all Rutgers fans. GO RU!

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Bac--excellent summary of the game and more importantly the season. And like you , your recap brought me some closure on a year of terrific highs and incredibly disappointing lows. But what many forget is that before this season began many expected this to be a transition year after losing Ron and Geo and all their scoring. Pre-season outstanding questions--who would make up for losing Ron and Geo's points? Could Paul be the PG Rutgers needed? Was Mag as good as advertised by Pike? where would the outside shooting come from? Can Spencer succeed in the big Ten? How good were unheralded freshmen Simpson and Woolfolk ? Can Reiber be Cliff's back up? As the season progressed we became spoiled . We played very well despite losses to Temple , SHU and Miami. You are so right--this team was greater than the individual sum of its parts......Our best days are ahead for Rutgers . We have some fine players returning and top recruits lined up next year and possibly thereafter. And we have a very fine head coach who is a class act and makes us proud to say he's our head coach.

Good review Bac but I think you let this team off the hook too easily. What happened to the stifling defense? Where did the defense go, the same one that held some of the top teams in the BIG to barely reach 60pts? That started to collapse before Mag was out. You can try to use Mag's injury to cover for the team but it is still a team sport and one injury cannot explain the collapse that we witnessed over the last 11 games.
What happened to paul, Hyatt, rieber, and others? All those guys were scoring pretty consistently and then collapsed. Cam was our most reliable scorer but he cannot do it all himself.
Lastly, What went on with Pike, I'll admit he has gotten Rutgers basketball back to relevancy but what can he say to explain the 2nd half season meltdown? This is a team that up to 11 gmaes ago seemed to be a high seed in the tourney and then it all went pear shaped. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I look forward to the discussion of how this team can move beyond this season. Lets just hope all our recruits are still on board.
This x 10000

Defense is hard work & not " fun" like scoring. To get up & bring intensity is part of coache's job along w captains.
Go back and look at Mags defensive posture. Energetic - constantly moving & jumping & more than likely contagious in his effort. He is a soldier which is why he was constantly getting socked in the mouth.
I think Pike (w his early rotations) & the team as a whole way underestimated Hofstra & took the game for granted to a certain extent. Shocked I was, at the lack of defensive accumen & intensity in this game -:at least until it was too late.
I figured that team would wake up at half but it never happened. Maybe Pike should have smashed a phone or two to get them defensively amped up & motivated. Vaunted defense ?
Trapezoid of terror ? Unbothered, Hofstra brushed us off like a piece of lint on their shoulder.

This x 10000

Defense is hard work & not " fun" like scoring. To get up & bring intensity is part of coache's job along w captains.
Go back and look at Mags defensive posture. Energetic - constantly moving & jumping & more than likely contagious in his effort. He is a soldier which is why he was constantly getting socked in the mouth.
I think Pike (w his early rotations) & the team as a whole way underestimated Hofstra & took the game for granted to a certain extent. Shocked I was, at the lack of defensive accumen & intensity in this game -:at least until it was too late.
I figured that team would wake up at half but it never happened. Maybe Pike should have smashed a phone or two to get them defensively amped up & motivated. Vaunted defense ?
Trapezoid of terror ? Unbothered, Hofstra brushed us off like a piece of lint on their shoulder.
Did you consider that maybe that after the 20 game BIG 10 grind and 2 tourney games where the defensive intensity and focus was elite at times ( 1 FG for Michigan in the first 19 minutes of the 2nd half ) , holding Edey to 16 points and 10 rebounds ) , that their legs and their brains could not physically or mentally just turn up the defensive intensity and flip a switch ? I think that is a better explaination that blaming Coach but that is just 1 opinion. When only 1 player Caleb showed even a semblance of defensive intensity , rebounding effort or hustle plays , I think what I am suggesting makes sense. We had 1 hustle play all night , Caleb’s follow up dunk to go up 3 with a minute left. Just 1

This x 10000

honestly I feel that lack of defense was almost by design, I think Pike and his team decided before the game they would approach this game differently and play it loose. After the body blow from Sunday I do not think anyone including the staff had the mental stomach to be able to put for that usual defensive lock in game. I do think the press was their defensive strategy and like with other speedier schools it didnt work all that well after those teams adjusted.

The team showed effort but that kind of effort will not win a game like this one. The amazing thing to me was that they could not find it in themselves to just get one stop (and I mean one stop with the rebound). They got stops but some second chances burned them. Ran into a team that simply wanted it more. The dye was cast early when they allowed Hofstra to feel as if they could win the game.

I love these comments, especially coming from the guy that wanted to see more Simpson before it started to happen.

We all know Mulcahy hasn't played his best since Mag went down. I'm not sure if the two things are related. But I was fully on board with Pikiell's loyalty to him. On balance, he is one of the key reasons why the program has ascended under Pike. And that loyalty breeds the chemisty that is so important for the team and also its fans.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Did you consider that maybe that after the 20 game BIG 10 grind and 2 tourney games where the defensive intensity and focus was elite at times ( 1 FG for Michigan in the first 19 minutes of the 2nd half ) , holding Edey to 16 points and 10 rebounds ) , that their legs and their brains could not physically or mentally just turn up the defensive intensity and flip a switch ? I think that is a better explaination that blaming Coach but that is just 1 opinion. When only 1 player Caleb showed even a semblance of defensive intensity , rebounding effort or hustle plays , I think what I am suggesting makes sense. We had 1 hustle play all night , Caleb’s follow up dunk to go up 3 with a minute left. Just 1
We are in agreement I did not mean to point a gun of total responsibility straight at Pike but I believe it was a multi-factorial let down

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Excellent recap for this as well as the season.
I recall the big question coming into the season: who would take the last shot? Obviously, it was Cam.
But what was missing, after Geo and Ron, were guys that could create their own shots. We had to work too hard on offense at times. You could see what Simpson added in the B1G tourney.
The defense may not be as elite next year, but hopefully, increased offensive efficiency will make up for it.

something interesting, this is a shot quality score. So it measures how many points you would be expected based on the quality of shots taken (distance, how much it was contested, etc.) Hofstra scored 19.2 more points than expected.

That’s an amazing metric.

I’ve never seen our bad luck quantified before!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT