ADVERTISEMENT

Game summary and depressing collapse in last 10-11 games.

Yup. And most have no experience in NCAA ball. And the integration issue doesn't even account for this: Williams gone; Freeman gone; possibly Sanders gone.

I see Carter getting offered by Xavier and Purdue and think yes, he will be up to the task of playing D1 ball.

Sorry, but although those players contributed, and will contribute(especially Mike Williams going down as one of the toughest Knights), people will be able to contribute.

Reactions: RUonBrain
To me the season pretty much ended with the losses to Stony Brook and Hartford. We had seen that movie before. Follow a great win by laying an egg. That also made us head in to the Big Ten only portion of the schedule with no momentum and very little fan enthusiasm.

I see Carter getting offered by Xavier and Purdue and think yes, he will be up to the task of playing D1 ball.

Sorry, but although those players contributed, and will contribute(especially Mike Williams going down as one of the toughest Knights), people will be able to contribute.
By using the term contribute, you've gone very vague, which you have to do to make your argument. He'll be playing, so he'll contribute something.

Yes, it's good that some good teams offered. But we're still talking about a freshman, and to say that he will be better than the seniors, or Sanders, that left is a leap. He may be eventually, but it's unusual for that to happen in year 1. And you need it to happen with these other incoming players too. I hope so. But, boy, I wouldn't bet on it.

I really hope Sanders returns.

By using the term contribute, you've gone very vague, which you have to do to make your argument. He'll be playing, so he'll contribute something.

Yes, it's good that some good teams offered. But we're still talking about a freshman, and to say that he will be better than the seniors, or Sanders, that left is a leap. He may be eventually, but it's unusual for that to happen in year 1. And you need it to happen with these other incoming players too. I hope so. But, boy, I wouldn't bet on it.

He is a JUCO player, one of the best in the league.

So was Freeman. He does not have time for a leap. So comparing him to producing what another JUCO SR did, is not that much of a leap. I am confident it happens. Also, he gets along with players here, and we saw a lack of chemistry over the season. That does not come up in production, but it is very important.

Carter will add at the very minimum 6 pts, and 6 rebounds a game. That will help. I am sure he might do more, but these are realistic expectations.

Reactions: RUonBrain

I really really hope Sanders returns, too.

Big question is how "game ready" Carter will be coming in from junior college. He's bigger than Freeman, so he should get stuffed at the rim less often... but we won't know what his level of productivity will be until he suits up and faces Div-I competition.

Another big question is how quickly Mathis will get up to speed. If he can follow Baker's path, we can expect a lot out of him (especially if Sanders stays, and he doesn't need to take on starter minutes). If he follows Thiam / Omoruyi / Doucoure's path, he won't give us much in his first year.

We're replacing:
Freeman with Carter
Williams with Mathis
Sa with Johnson

And we're getting net additions of Kiss and Harper beyond that to fill two blank roster spots this year.

If we have to replace Doorson, Bullock, or Mensah... we can probably (hopefully?) bring in a net improvement player.

Having to replace Sanders, though, would be brutal on top of all of that.

Look, this was a 8 or 9 win team with a typical B1G OOC schedule. But Hobbs and Pikiell assembled the softest of the soft, and all at home, and it gave the appearance of hope. We all got sucked in by a few cheap wins. Plus, the softies allowed the roster to be well-rested for some frantic efforts against FSU, Hall, et al.

Let's see if Hobbs/Pikiell put their B1G Boy pants on next year and come up with a more appropriate OOC for Year 3. Pikiell is still playing with house money until Years 4-5-6 anyways, so time to take some toddler steps as a B1G program. The bulk of the '19 class will be signed before the losses start to pile up. On to 2020 ...

I agree, the scheduling must get better to improve the program long term. Yes people will say well if they couldnt be so and so at home then they wouldnt beat better so and sos on the road. Not necessarily, playing on the road can bond the team and give them challenges to face and overcome. I thought RU picked up some bad habits by playing all non conference games at home and it certainly showed on the road. The slow starts for one..team got too comfy with being able to overcome that at home by turning it on in the 2nd half. It absolutely mattered vs SB and Hartford. Program needs to be challenged, you do that by playing tougher competition on the road. Yes the team will take its lumps...so be it. Looks like the schedule will be tougher next year with road games so thats a good thing
To me the season pretty much ended with the losses to Stony Brook and Hartford. We had seen that movie before. Follow a great win by laying an egg. That also made us head in to the Big Ten only portion of the schedule with no momentum and very little fan enthusiasm.

true...a true test of whether progress is being made is whether great performances are followed up by further great performances, the Seton Hall win was followed up by laying an egg blowing a 5 point lead with 21 seconds or was it 7...then followed up by another brutal egg vs Hartford. Close losses at Michigan State and at home to Purdue were followed up by two awful blowout losses at the RAC to OSU and Indiana. Some will say that the close losses were a sign of progress and hope but more likely they were anomolies as the results of the season and losing 10 of last 11 mostly not even close was the true sign.

. . .

Carter will add at the very minimum 6 pts, and 6 rebounds a game. That will help. I am sure he might do more, but these are realistic expectations.
That isn't something that's going to improve this team alone, not by a long shot. You need a lot more. That's the point.

Just an incredibly disappointing season. So many players regressed include big Duke, Geo, Freeman and Williams. I was really disappointed in Williams this year. How does a senior shoot 21% from 3? Just a brutal year for him.

Don’t know what to think about Baker or Duke this year. Baker totally deteriorated about 2/3 into the season. The guy that created his own shot vs FSU and MSU was gone for most of conference play. I’m sure some of it has to do with scouting and tired frosh legs, but it seemed like something more.

Similarly, Duke regressed and showed no nose for the ball (boards, putbacks, etc).

The amount of blowouts and putrid offense was unacceptable.

Baker will be fine, IMO. He needs help and needs to get stronger. He's a very smart player and we don't have a lot of those. I'm not so sure about Doucoure since he has a long way to go, plays smaller than he is and lacks a lot of confidence. Doucoure certainly isn't what I expected but then neither was Baker (in a good way).

We only have two players who can create their own shot and neither of them is a great shooter. Teams realized that you crowd Baker and don't let Sanders drive and you've pretty much stopped our offense. If we get an open three and take it, the defense has also won because we can't shoot. The offense was certainly unimaginatve, but there isn't a lot to work with.

As many have said, this roster needs a major overhaul.

That isn't something that's going to improve this team alone, not by a long shot. You need a lot more. That's the point.

I never said more wasn't needed, lol.

I am just saying he will contribute. Who is he replacing that gave Rutgers more this year on a consistent basis, that also added to team chemistry?

The Freeman benching was interesting when we talk of chemistry. The game before he was benched, he was seen screaming at Doorson both on the floor and on the bench right afterwards after Doorson whiffed on a pass. Pikiel saw it and yelled at Freeman to sit down. I had not seen that type of dissension on the team in two years until that point. After that game, Freeman was benched the entire overtime game and never started again. No one seemed to comment on that but it seems to me Pikiel used it to send a message and also to move on from Freeman and prepare Omuruyi for next year when he is projected to start.

Prior to that the team had already shown signs of fatigue. Last night, I even saw frustration and bad body language from Omuruyi which is concerning. But I think as others have said, when you have a talent gap, you can only go so far with hustle and determination before the wheels start to come off. Hopefully, these guys go into this off season seeing the positives.

I expect Mathis and Kiss and likely Harper Jr will improve the offense; don't know about Carter. Looks to be an athlete but film does not show me that he has an offensive game beyond finishing around the basket against lesser competition.

As to Baker, he needs to work on this athleticism and obviously his stamina. Needs work on explosiveness, quickness, put about 15 lbs of muscle on. I think his shooting fell off because his legs were gone.

The Freeman benching was interesting when we talk of chemistry. The game before he was benched, he was seen screaming at Doorson both on the floor and on the bench right afterwards after Doorson whiffed on a pass. Pikiel saw it and yelled at Freeman to sit down. I had not seen that type of dissension on the team in two years until that point. After that game, Freeman was benched the entire overtime game and never started again. No one seemed to comment on that but it seems to me Pikiel used it to send a message and also to move on from Freeman and prepare Omuruyi for next year when he is projected to start.

Prior to that the team had already shown signs of fatigue. Last night, I even saw frustration and bad body language from Omuruyi which is concerning. But I think as others have said, when you have a talent gap, you can only go so far with hustle and determination before the wheels start to come off. Hopefully, these guys go into this off season seeing the positives.

I expect Mathis and Kiss and likely Harper Jr will improve the offense; don't know about Carter. Looks to be an athlete but film does not show me that he has an offensive game beyond finishing around the basket against lesser competition.

As to Baker, he needs to work on this athleticism and obviously his stamina. Needs work on explosiveness, quickness, put about 15 lbs of muscle on. I think his shooting fell off because his legs were gone.

Ugh, that Carter line is discouraging. Hope it's not the case.

It's not relevant but fans look at the game as if it only matters when the team gets the ball....the next step is actually watching what teams do to attack teams to create matchups.

Ideally, you would like to see your guards at 6'4 or 6'5"....because it makes it

A) Easier to defend in a zone or harder to shoot over

B) It's also tougher to score against a taller defender...

So fans are looking at Freeman, who worked as hard as he could, given that he's probably 6'5 to maybe 6'6".....he is a player that uses quickness to try and maneuver around players....it is not too difficult to get your shot blocked inside the paint against most B1G defenders....it's because almost every team has a 6'8 to 6'9" PF...

The PF Finke from Illinois, is a former 4* player....he has offensive skills....he's 6'10' 235, with decent mobility, shooting touch....

So for every possession, he either had a 4 inch advantage over Freeman...one was a turnaround jumper....drained it...

Another possession on he went to another turnaround.....Freeman tried to defend, fouled him....made 2 FT's.....

Also drained a 3 pointer....able to shoot over Eugene or Freeman.

I am not going to say that it's easier to forecast what Shaq Carter can or cannot do, but these are hidden points that a player that usually gets 8 to 10 PPG, goes for 19....Carter may take away one of the 3s, because he may have longer arms and can bother the shooter.....Maybe the turnaround jumper, Finke still gets fouled by Carter and makes the FT's.....Maybe Carter gets a hand in his face and doesn't foul.

The point Illinois picked up, from Finke and Leron Black flaring out for 3's is a decade of every program, recruiting 3* 4* caliber players that are usually Top 100 to 150 players that can play....Finke and Black are legitimate players that can score, IF you don't have proper size to bother them on shots.

As much as Freeman gets points on an occasional leak out or transition, in a half court setting on both ends, it's very tough to ask Freeman at 6'6" to not only score against bigger players with longer arms....and to ask him to matchup defensively as well.

It also matters when it shows up on backcuts to the basket, by a guard that escapes Dadika for a layup....there is no shot blocking in the game, when you have a smaller matchup and no center on Illinois on the court.....is Thiam a shot blocker or someone that can recover or close out against a driving guard....Eugene plays GREAT defense and positions himself, but accepts coaching and stopped trying to block shots against bigger players....instead he positions himself to take charges, draw fouls against opponents trying to get to the basket.

There are ways to measure an impact of a player....I can pretty much guarantee that Carter at 6'9" and fairly mobile, but not fast, can defend these types of players better or become more of a bother defensively....If he can pick up a putback on offense or finish in traffic, even better....he's not a good FT shooter, so with Freeman, he picked up his FT shooting this year vs last year. Hopefully Carter isn't continuing at a 60% FT range here at RU and can get to 66 or 70%.

Everything has to fit and RU has to eventually look and feel like the rest of the teams rosters right now....the first 4 years of the league, it has not felt that way with quickness, size, strength, skill, but the incoming recruits start to change the look and feel of the roster. It's very difficult to see this from your couch or living room, but there is a difference between a 6'9" 235 player defending you and a 6'6" 215 to 220 player trying to body you within 10 12 feet of the basket.

Reactions: RUChoppin
There are assumptions that most people are making that Shaq Carter is the starter over Shaq Doorson or Duocore. Is this based on hope? Are we giving up on Shaq Doorson improving in the off season.

One thing I can guarantee, if Shaq D is on the roster next year he will be 7 foot. He seems like a real good dude (he played the role of Sa's male figure on senior night). From an individual standpoint there is no one more i want to succeed more next year than Shaq D.

Yes he has and will always have limitations. There are a finite amount of players we will face where he can defend.

It is common here to think players who are new are better than players who are already here. Maybe we will find the bigs we have are as good or better than Carter.

I'd love to read recently of what our fans thought of the impact Souf and Sa were going to have.

I don't know the Shaq Carter story. I do know he is at a junior college and is not a sophomore at a 4 year school. Going the JUCO route is a VERY risky proposition, one that I argue has hurt us badly in the past/present.

When it comes to Shaq Carter, here's my feeling. I'd rather have him prove what he's got on the banks than at Xavier, Purdue, Auburn, Iowa State, LSU, Wichita State, Memphis, Washington State or Middle Tennessee State (other schools who offered).

There are assumptions that most people are making that Shaq Carter is the starter over Shaq Doorson or Duocore. Is this based on hope? Are we giving up on Shaq Doorson improving in the off season.

One thing I can guarantee, if Shaq D is on the roster next year he will be 7 foot. He seems like a real good dude (he played the role of Sa's male figure on senior night). From an individual standpoint there is no one more i want to succeed more next year than Shaq D.

Yes he has and will always have limitations. There are a finite amount of players we will face where he can defend.

It is common here to think players who are new are better than players who are already here. Maybe we will find the bigs we have are as good or better than Carter.

I'd love to read recently of what our fans thought of the impact Souf and Sa were going to have.

I don't know the Shaq Carter story. I do know he is at a junior college and is not a sophomore at a 4 year school. Going the JUCO route is a VERY risky proposition, one that I argue has hurt us badly in the past/present.

I think the intent was for Carter to replace Freeman's minutes, rather than come in at center - though I know some have speculated him playing minutes at center while Omoruyi takes on the primary PF role.

I like Doorson, but he struggles with footspeed and overall mobility. He can't guard more athletic centers, so he's limited in the minutes he'll see on the court.

Looking at the big man rotation in conference games this year:
24.5 - Freeman
21.8 - Omoruyi
13.9 - Sa
12.9 - Doorson
12.9 - Doucoure

PF: Freeman, Omoruyi.... occasionally Sa or Doucoure
C: Sa, Doorson, Doucoure.... occasionally Omoruyi

We'll be losing Freeman/Sa and adding Carter (PF/C) and Johnson (PF/C).

So, that'd be:
PF: Omoruyi, Carter... and potentially Johnson/Doucoure
C: Johnson, Doorson, Doucoure... and potentially Carter/Omoruyi

I really don't know if that lineup/rotation would be better than, equal to, or worse than what we have today. Trying to temper any of my own expectations from Carter/Johnson, since we haven't see them touch a basketball yet at this level.

Omoruyi has definitely shown a lot of improvement this year, though, and I'd imagine the starting PF spot next year is his until someone takes it from him.

As a sophomore, he's a better defender, shoots a higher percent from the field, and has fewer turnovers... but he's not as good a rebounder, puts up fewer shots, and is worse from the FT line. He has another offseason to improve on his overall game, but it remains to be seen if he can get close to Freeman's 11.2/7.3 line. Omoruyi's at 8.0/5.0 right now... adjusted to match Freeman's minutes, that'd be 9.5/6.0 - can he get to 11/7 for next year?

If he can slide into Freeman's slot, the question becomes what Carter can bring in the other 15 PF min, plus maybe some minutes at center. I can't pencil him in as a starter unless he's bringing more to the table than EO.

Agree about Doorson. He is effective against really big, strong guys (like Haas) that you have to deal with in the B1G. Struggles against quicker big guys. I thought he improved over last year and Pike used him correctly. I don't get why everyone is so down on him. Its tough to get a super talented big guy. Need to platoon until you do.

Hopefully Carter and/or Johnson can effectively cover the quicker big guys. Douce's defense needs ALOT of work.

Either way we will have two big guys named Shaq so we should be fine!

Reactions: higgins3
Agree about Doorson. He is effective against really big, strong guys (like Haas) that you have to deal with in the B1G. Struggles against quicker big guys. I thought he improved over last year and Pike used him correctly. I don't get why everyone is so down on him. Its tough to get a super talented big guy. Need to platoon until you do.

Hopefully Carter and/or Johnson can effectively cover the quicker big guys. Douce's defense needs ALOT of work.

Either way we will have two big guys named Shaq so we should be fine!

Doorson has footspeed and footwork things to work out - I think he'll continue to improve as a 5th year next year, if he comes back.

I'm intrigued by Johnson. He's shed a lot of weight, which is good. He's listed at 6-10, 264 on sk.com... and Pike said that he's lost 27 pounds this year, which would put him at 6-10, 237 at this point. Would like to see him add another 10 lbs or so of muscle to that in the off season.

Just looking at the center rotation, the hope is that Johnson would come in and be more productive than Sa (2.2 pts, 3.4 rb)... while Doucoure and Doorson both improve from this season.

We got 205 pts and 275 rbs over 31 games from Sa/Doorson/Doucoure, for 6.6 pts / 8.9 rb per game (6.2 pts / 8.8 rb in conference). Really need Johnson/Doorson/Doucoure to produce more than that next year.

Doorson has footspeed and footwork things to work out - I think he'll continue to improve as a 5th year next year, if he comes back.

I'm intrigued by Johnson. He's shed a lot of weight, which is good. He's listed at 6-10, 264 on sk.com... and Pike said that he's lost 27 pounds this year, which would put him at 6-10, 237 at this point. Would like to see him add another 10 lbs or so of muscle to that in the off season.

Just looking at the center rotation, the hope is that Johnson would come in and be more productive than Sa (2.2 pts, 3.4 rb)... while Doucoure and Doorson both improve from this season.

We got 205 pts and 275 rbs over 31 games from Sa/Doorson/Doucoure, for 6.6 pts / 8.9 rb per game (6.2 pts / 8.8 rb in conference). Really need Johnson/Doorson/Doucoure to produce more than that next year.

After looking at tape when Johnson committed, I think he helps out next year at the rate we should expect. He is a smart kid who knows to produce, you need to improve yourself first. In HS, he did not seem like a viscous competitor, but more someone who was always trying to get themselves better. The latter is very important.

I could seem him contributing next year with the minutes he is given.

Higgins,

Stop already. I know you always try to be positive, but Geo has very good talent and looked like a diamond in the rough, but at the end of the day, he ended up being a disappointment(for what he was capable of) as the season went on.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Higgins,

Stop already. I know you always try to be positive, but Geo has very good talent and looked like a diamond in the rough, but at the end of the day, he ended up being a disappointment(for what he was capable of) as the season went on.

Best of Luck,
Groz

View numbers. I have learned to be a realist with the program. If something is said that isn't true,though, I will point it out. Let me know what you think and if those point to being a huge disappointment. Just saying.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4277986/geo-baker

Higgins,

Best of Luck,
Groz

Geo's last four games were really rough sledding. His first 26 were pretty good for a freshman guard, though. Possibly he hit a wall, and this last game he was certainly impacted by the flu. He certainly drew a lot more defensive attention as the season went on.

Up through the Indiana game, he was 11.5 ppg (39.4% FG, 36.9% 3P), 2.3 rb, 2.9 ast, 1.8 tov.

Over his last four games, he was 4.0 ppg (18.8% FG, 21.1% 3P), 1.3 rb, 1.8 ast, 1.8 tov.

Your last stats about getting 6.2 points per game from Duke, Shaquille and Candido was a key flaw of this team. Duke was scoreless in 9 conference games and in double figures just once with 13 against Minnesota:Shaquille was scoreless in 8 conference games and DNP in another with a high of 6 points only once: Candido was scoreless in 5 conference games and hurt for 2 games and never scored more than 7 points in a game. If the trio would have gotten 10-12 points per game and 10-12 rebounds per game , we likely win a few more games like Purdue at home or Michigan State on the road. We won against Wisconsin, despite their combining for 2 points, against Iowa when they combined for 7 points, and against Northwestern for 6 points. . Our margin of victory would have been greater in those games if they did what was expected . The Nebraska home game where they combined for 14 points and 12 rebounds was a close game all night and should have been the norm not the exception. If Myles has any semblance of an offensive game and can give us 8-10 a night that would be huge for our offensive production and give us points from the 5 spot that has been sorely lacking except for CJ last year.

Pat Chambers first four years at Penn State he won 12,10, 16 and then 18 games. Why do we think we would be that much better considering we have spent no money on basketball? Grant Hill types are not just waiting to go to RU. Happy Harper from Jersey wants to come. And Williams did get hurt this year and Geo I think played too many minutes.
Absolutely. Chambers took 6 years, Kevin Willard took 7 years. Rutgers is probably a 6 or 7 year rebuild. There are no magic solutions.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Chambers took 6 years, Kevin Willard took 7 years. Rutgers is a 6 year rebuild. There are no magic solutions.

people laughed at Hurley demanding a 7 year deal but at this school..yes it was appropriate. Pike already go his extension in the middle of year 2. RU has a shot to dance in Pikes year 5 but it is just as likely to come in year 6 or 7. Thats how long it can take to cycle in enough talent and get results. Chambers is still likely to miss this year, perhaps next year he can do it if that team is intact.

Nothing will change until we recruit consistent 4 star players. We need about 7 more in the next two classes. Then when Geo class are juniors we might have a chance at doing something interesting. really is that simple. If we don't get those seven players I guarantee we will never win enough to make the post season.

Point with Chambers though is that team has talent. Imagine Carr at shooting guard for us. Probably win 5 more games this year.

I'm just curious what strategy people think we, as fans, should have.

Or are people saying that Pike is basing things on hope instead of strategy?

Just trying to wrap my head around the nonsense - any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: PaKnight
Nothing will change until we recruit consistent 4 star players. We need about 7 more in the next two classes. Then when Geo class are juniors we might have a chance at doing something interesting. really is that simple. If we don't get those seven players I guarantee we will never win enough to make the post season.
You’re crazy if you think we can recruit 7 4-Stars in the next two years.

You’re crazy if you think we can recruit 7 4-Stars in the next two years.
Not only is it crazy, but there are maybe 3 or 4 teams in the conference that recruit at anywhere near that level, and more than 3 or 4 teams are tournament contenders every year.

From my own perspective as a fan, my best strategy so far--and I must admit that I use this with other sports teams I root for--is to extend the record time on my Tivo at least an hour for every game I record. Football can be 1.5 hours. The strategy has been largely successful. Oh, and sometimes I bring bottle caps into the stadium (Shhh).

Reactions: RUChoppin

You're saying that every available scholarship among our current sophomores/juniors must be used on a 4*, plus another among next year's sophomores/freshmen....

....and along with Mathis and Doucoure, that'd be 9 four star players on the roster.... just to make it to the post season.

Uh huh.

From my own perspective as a fan, my best strategy so far--and I must admit that I use this with other sports teams I root for--is to extend the record time on my Tivo at least an hour for every game I record. Football can be 1.5 hours. The strategy has been largely successful. Oh, and sometimes I bring bottle caps into the stadium (Shhh).

Good strategies!

Another good strategy I've found as a fan is to make sure I put season tickets in my wallet the night before the game.

Reactions: higgins3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT