ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Basketball vs. Merrimack

Offense really needs a lot of work. Our lack of true PG (baker=combo) is a problem. I know many of us were harping on getting a PG transfer. oh well.

Great comeback win by our BB team and shutting down Merrimack to only 12 points in the second half. With that said, I don't understand Pikiell's inability to get the kids up for the start of his games. Also, he knows better how to play against a 2-3 zone as well as Syracuse's 2-2-1.

In the second half, we really focused on getting the ball to the middle man in the paint. And we also started having our wingmen cut to the basket or stay out on the perimeter for open shots. That is how you beat a 2-3 zone. You don't beat it by chucking up shots from the outside like Geo, Ron and Caleb did in the first half. That's why when they don't go down, we're in trouble.

I am also excited about Jaden Jones. We need to feed that kid more of the ball and run offense through him. He's going to be real, real good for us going forward.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
You don't hold a team to 14-60 FG shooting and 4-26 from 3 without good defense, but the offense and starters needs changes before NJIT

I think we're in a lot of trouble. One game ok, but two is more of a trend.

Great comeback win by our BB team and shutting down Merrimack to only 12 points in the second half. With that said, I don't understand Pikiell's inability to get the kids up for the start of his games. Also, he knows better how to play against a 2-3 zone as well as Syracuse's 2-2-1.

In the second half, we really focused on getting the ball to the middle man in the paint. And we also started having our wingmen cut to the basket or stay out on the perimeter for open shots. That is how you beat a 2-3 zone. You don't beat it by chucking up shots from the outside like Geo, Ron and Caleb did in the first half. That's why when they don't go down, we're in trouble.

I am also excited about Jaden Jones. We need to feed that kid more of the ball and run offense through him. He's going to be real, real good for us going forward.
We are Rutgers...we have a complete inability to handle even the smallest amount of success or praise. Hopefully our women will continue to play through this plague that seems to affect most of our men's teams.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
We are Rutgers...we have a complete inability to handle even the smallest amount of success or praise. Hopefully our women will continue to play through this plague that seems to affect most of our men's teams.
As I stated in my post, Pike has trouble getting these kids to fire out of the gate and I have no idea why. I do realize he's trying early here in the season to mix and match for combinations to work. But to not have them ready against a 2-3 zone in inexcusable.

Reactions: runrutgersrun

We did get the ball into Paul. He was wide open…..he couldn’t hit a shot. Ron also had a few wide open shots from just inside the free throw line. We shot 5-25. The issue isn’t getting the shots, it making the shot. These are Div I players in the Big 10, when you have wide open shots 8-10 feet from the basket, you percentage needs be a lot higher than 20%.

The concern is they are starters and their offensive woes also has shown some impact on their defensive performance.
I could not see the game. But all last year I cringed when they were on the court at the
same time, they were not at their best together. One guy has the mind set of great
team work to make the team better.
The other gets the ball and immediately looks
for the basket. and often takes reckless shots,
a very selfish player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT