ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. NJIT

3 games vs 250ish ranked programs and third game we’re losing at half at home.

the team just doesn’t look like they have any flow. Doesn’t make sense becusse this teams strength was the seniority + cohesiveness
Besides having no flow ; the team the last few years was hungry. This team early on just doesn’t have that hunger for whatever reason. Maybe it’s losing Jacob , maybe it’s making the tourney finally, maybe it’s playing these bad teams makes us play flat. Who the hell knows but if they don’t snap out of it we’ll be lucky to win two big ten games

This team has the pieces, pike just needs to stop playing the combinations of Geo Paul McConnell and Geo Paul McConnell Harper.

Usually takes him until a few games into big ten play to figure out his combinations.

Reactions: MV9000
Every one of NJIT's threes are from the same spot behind the arc. Can we just post a defender there for Christ's sake?

To be fair it's not like the 2019-20 team looked like much out of the gate. But it would really be nice to avoid actually losing one of these games and you can only put yourself in danger so many times before you eventually lose one.

Best play we run is when Ron comes off the baseline and sets a fake ball screen ( ghost screen ) for Geo and slips out for 3. This way Geo can read the d . Oh and you need some odd ball action so the d can’t just sit back in help and clog the lane
We dont have any off ball action. Were so stagnant. If teams can get us to play on the halfcourt were screwed

Can’t watch the game, like most. Can someone break down the first half to me.. is Cliff hurt? Why are we lossing .
NJIT has made 7 threes with several of them contested chuck variety. Geo is having a good game, and Jones and Hyatt look good. Paul and Cliff are having a bad night so far. But the key to the halftime score is all the made treys by NJIT.

I’m in the minority: if Paul is in the game he has to be aggressive on Offense. I’m guessing those close-in shots will start falling. Didn’t say he SHOULD be in the game, but if he is.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
I’m in the minority: if Paul is in the game he has to be aggressive on Offense. I’m guessing those close-in shots will start falling. Didn’t say he SHOULD be in the game, but if he is.
Yeah but he has wide open shots and doesn’t take them and because of his hesitation he ends up taking much more difficult shots

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Super impressed with the toughness and effort this team is showing us. Great job at the end of the half to bring us within a point of tying the game! Can’t wait to see the second half, I think we have a legit shot at a win here!

Super impressed with the toughness and effort this team is showing us. Great job at the end of the half to bring us within a point of tying the game! Can’t wait to see the second half, I think we have a legit shot at a win here!
Sad but true

We dont have any off ball action. Were so stagnant. If teams can get us to play on the halfcourt were screwed
This is the difference between a below average and good offensive team. Unless you have lock down shooters or great individual players you can just have guys stand in spots. You must screen and cut away from the ball to keep the defense honest . Once the defense is moving you open up driving lanes and force close outs that make the d vulnerable

Wide open, clank

Wide open, misses the entire basket

only at Rutgers

NJIT has 3-point shooters and very little else. They made 7 threes and they're only winning by 1 point. From their point of view, they have to be pretty concerned. I think we pull this out by double digits, especially if we make our foul shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT