ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Football vs. Penn State

What hath Greg wrought? 😀

He's smart off the field. He and his agent understood the groundswell of support from those longing for yesteryear. He parlayed that into an almost unheard of length of contract. Results don't matter.

The question is, at what point do even the biggest Schianoite's admit there are real issues?

The biggest one being the contract he strong armed the school into. We are stuck with this mess.

He's smart off the field. He and his agent understood the groundswell of support from those longing for yesteryear. He parlayed that into an almost unheard of length of contract. Results don't matter.

The question is, at what point do even the biggest Schianoite's admit there are real issues?

The biggest one being the contract he strong armed the school into. We are stuck with this mess.
We are stuck with him for another 2 years at least .

Reactions: RutgersSam
Another shot to get a red zone stop! Need to get a fumble, interception. Blocked kick or sack at some point.

Reactions: JRZEER
Just goes to show when they hire a coach like Chris ash , and you bring in a coach like Schiano who is big on developing young high school kids to come in and fix the mess , you better sit tight for the long haul. He has the talent but not the speed he had the first time around and Rutgers had two bad recruiting coaches in flood and ash before Schiano came back .
Blaming Ash is old. Its been 3 years now and a bunch of transfers. Schiano has always been a .500 coach. People make him out to be Belichick.

There will be a massive exodus of transfers out of Rutgers this off-season. Schiano reaps what he sows

We are stuck with him for another 2 years at least .

The problem is that in 2 years the AD is going to say they don't have the money for the buyout (or contract extension if HC Schiano turns it around) and it'll be on the fans why we can't move on (or keep him).

Why is it that every other school can win big games against ranked teams or Atleast compete (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, northwestern) but we just get blown out to everyone

Reactions: RutgersSam
Why is it that every other school can win big games against ranked teams or Atleast compete (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, northwestern) but we just get blown out to everyone
Poor executive decision making and leadership. Hiring this coach was amateur hour at it's best

How is Wimsatt any different than Sitkowski? Both have rocket arms but can't hit their receivers to save their life. Where is Wimsatts dual threat ability?
Stokowski never learned from his mistakes I mean every game he would throw and INT in the hands of the defense, 9 interceptions in one game that’s the difference

Poor executive decision making and leadership. Hiring this coach was amateur hour at it's best
Because we keep hiring bad coaches who leave the talent bare minimum, flood , Chris ash names ring a bell . You fire your coach but you better know the talent on your roster. Schiano will get the job done but it’s going to take him another season to get some more help in there in order to win games like this , defense plays well but offense is not good at all

Because we keep hiring bad coaches who leave the talent bare minimum, flood , Chris ash names ring a bell . You fire your coach but you better know the talent on your roster. Schiano will get the job done but it’s going to take him another season to get some more help in there in order to win games like this , defense plays well but offense is not good at all
Agreed that the defense has shown glimpses. But it's worrisome that a tenured coach can't fix the discipline issues, makes poor in-game decisions, thought Gleason was a capable OC, and has a very poor history of performance outside of 2 somewhat successful seasons an eternity ago, mainly built on wins vs bad teams.

Last edited:
I'm indifferent about Schiano, but those of you calling for a replacement better give thought to whom that might be and the years of rebuilding that will follow. Rutgers does not have a good history of picking coaches. Essentially, Rutgers has hired assistant coaches and hoped for the best. This dates back to 1984.

Agreed that the defense has shown glimpses. But it's worrisome that a tenured coach can't fix the discipline issues, makes poor in-game decisions, thought Gleason was a capable OC, and has a very poor history of performance outside of 2 somewhat successful seasons and eternity ago, mainly built on wins vs bad teams.
I still believe Schiano will get it done because all he needs is a good offensive coordinator and some more talent to help , it’s hard to find one that’s good enough out there right now that willing to move . I say hold on and it will get better because those kids are playing extremely hard out there and I’m sure they want to win more than we do .

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I’m all in on Schiano but not Gavin who hasn’t shown better than Simon.

Portal or bust

I still believe Schiano will get it done because all he needs is a good offensive coordinator and some more talent to help , it’s hard to find one that’s good enough out there right now that willing to move . I say hold on and it will get better because those kids are playing extremely hard out there and I’m sure they want to win more than we do .
Agree to disagree. I've been in organizations with great leadership, inc in the military, and it's obvious to me that Schiano is not a good coach on multiple levels.

He's actually not a .500. He's below that by quite a
Blaming Ash is old. Its been 3 years now and a bunch of transfers. Schiano has always been a .500 coach. People make him out to be Belichick.
It maybe old but I know college football and I don’t scream and pout because of losses, I look at the talent on the roster before the new coach is hired. After Ash was let go , Greg Schiano didn’t have the talent to keep up with the like of James Franklin if remember back when flood was still coach and Franklin was hired at Penn state , what did James Franklin do , he raided NJ in front of flood face and not only that he told him he was going to do it . Saquan Barkley along with all those NJ players out the door to Penn state and to make matters worse Michigans Jim Harbaugh followed right behind Franklin by hiring Chris parsonage because he wasn’t well liked by Nj high school coaches. How did those blow outs feel during Chris Ash first season and to make matter worse , Ash refused to recruit NJ himself, how is it you’re the head coach and you don’t get out to these high schools and recruit. Schiano did that his first day on the job and didn’t miss a beat yet because he knew the talent level was not there , he said that this would take sometime if you wanted done right .

Reactions: RUinRochester
It maybe old but I know college football and I don’t scream and pout because of losses, I look at the talent on the roster before the new coach is hired. After Ash was let go , Greg Schiano didn’t have the talent to keep up with the like of James Franklin if remember back when flood was still coach and Franklin was hired at Penn state , what did James Franklin do , he raided NJ in front of flood face and not only that he told him he was going to do it . Saquan Barkley along with all those NJ players out the door to Penn state and to make matters worse Michigans Jim Harbaugh followed right behind Franklin by hiring Chris parsonage because he wasn’t well liked by Nj high school coaches. How did those blow outs feel during Chris Ash first season and to make matter worse , Ash refused to recruit NJ himself, how is it you’re the head coach and you don’t get out to these high schools and recruit. Schiano did that his first day on the job and didn’t miss a beat yet because he knew the talent level was not there , he said that this would take sometime if you wanted done right .
Ash has been gone for 3 years now. We are still losing the same way. Tonight made that evident. Greg’s recruiting is better but still not recruiting at the level we need.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Any discussion regarding rebuilding a program in today's era starts and ends with the TP. A competent coach can rebuild a team in 1 to 2 years no matter what condition his predecessor has left the program via the TP. Talk of the four and five year rebuild is no longer relevant, it has gone the way of the horse and buggy.

You can count the number of good offensive coordinators at RU in the last 2 decades on one hand after a woodshop accident.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Ash has been gone for 3 years now. We are still losing the same way. Tonight made that evident. Greg’s recruiting is better but still not recruiting at the level we need.
You must remember not every single kid is going to go to Rutgers so they have to rely on development and that’s not Greg’s fault because he is doing his job so hang in there the wins will come just like the first go around. I don’t think he would of took the job if he thought he couldn’t do it and to listen to people complaining about the team losing , you hear all these coaches at other programs getting in trouble and losing but Penn state still there coach and so does Michigan so give Schiano a break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT