ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Griffiths to Nebraska

Skinny spineless dweeb might actually cry when we he returns. He doesn’t have the mental makeup of a Todd Billet - he’ll have a 2-11 day with 5 TO’s.

Never saw the kid play with any joy or a smile on his face, he played like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Perhaps a fresh start out of the east coast will will positive for him
Before at Rutgers:

F8_Q8i4WIAAzJvi.jpg:large

After in Nebraska:

4b51b1286d000f31a19fa15ddf5eff5c.jpg

Just having some fun here. Wish the young man well, except when Rutgers plays Nebraska. It obviously was not working for him at Rutgers. Could he have stayed and given it more of a chance? Maybe. Depends on what the coaches told him.

Griffiths obviously isn't worried about playing at the RAC because he could have chosen to go to another school in a different conference.

Griffiths obviously isn't worried about playing at the RAC because he could have chosen to go to another school in a different conference.
He also doesn’t realize the reception he’s going to get. But also, 1 game shouldn’t determine where you’ll spend the other 30.

Reactions: Scarlet83
It can work both ways. He might melt or it could go the other way and he goes off. If Gavin is liked and respected by his new teammates it could work against us.

I firmly believe that he is very talented and his problems are mental. He showed signs of snapping out of it to close out the season so I would have taken him back. But it remains an unknown whether or not he'll be consistently good next year. I think he'll be consistently good in years 3 and 4.

I don't believe you all will rag on Gavin when he comes back in a Nebraska uniform. No way, man. I don't think even Maryland fans, known for meanness and vulgarity, would do that if our "Gavin" (Jamie Kaiser, transferred to Butler) returned.

I secretly laughed at the "Harry Potter" and "Waldo" chants he heard when Rutgers went on the road, though. I guess I'm mean and vulgar, too...

I don't understand all the hate on here for Gavin.
I just think the kid realized that the system we run isn't good for him . He's got to look out for himself , none of the fans here are going to make or break his life but his decision might.
I have a kid that played at RU for 4 years in another sport and no one here loves RU anymore then me. I told my son he should transfer out after his freshman year.
He started every game but one his freshman year so it was not about sour grapes
Both of us knew that the style of play was no good for him at RU.
He loved the school and stayed at RU
He started every game but2 during his career at RU
I still think he should have transfered out
Even though he loved RU

I just think the kid realized that the system we run isn't good for him . He's got to look out for himself , none of the fans here are going to make or break his life but his decision might.
I have a kid that played at RU for 4 years in another sport and no one here loves RU anymore then me. I told my son he should transfer out after his freshman year.
Even though he loved RU
Two basic tendencies about human nature are at work.

1. Some think life is zero-sum, win-lose. It doesn't have to be. Gavin can find more success at Nebraska, and Rutgers can have a historic 24-25. It can be a win-win.
2. Some, instead of examining their own failings, need to project their failings onto others. Hence the hate, which is really hatred for themselves.

Someone mired in these mental traps is the miserable loser, not Gavin.

Even though he loved RU
He should have left when Fred Hill came.

You have been consistent. I dont have the confidence you have, but i agree.
Hoiberg is a good coach
Even though he loved RU
well said, I dont get why people would go crazy booing him..this isnt anywhere near a Rosario scenerio

Shouldn't Gavin be cheered?

It seems the same group who said we're better off without out him also want to boo him?
That doesn't make sense.

HC Pike wanted him back for next year reportedly. So if Gavin didn't voluntarily leave, we wouldn't have been able to upgrade the roster?
That's a good thing isn't it?

I don't believe you all will rag on Gavin when he comes back in a Nebraska uniform. No way, man. I don't think even Maryland fans, known for meanness and vulgarity, would do that if our "Gavin" (Jamie Kaiser, transferred to Butler) returned.

I secretly laughed at the "Harry Potter" and "Waldo" chants he heard when Rutgers went on the road, though. I guess I'm mean and vulgar, too...
Haha. Not a chance.

It’s a different world today. Transferring used to be a big deal and anybody who spurned Rutgers (especially if it was perceived that they left for greener pastures) was viewed as a villain.

Times have changed. Everybody transfers. I don’t think the crowd will be as rough on Gavin as people think.

You greatly underestimate the JMA crowd. The booing will be heard back in Nebraska

The Athletic released a ranking of all players in the portal. They had Gavin at #92 and said this:

Ht: 6-8 Wt: 193
Griffiths was one of my favorite freshmen in this class, and he can absolutely shoot from distance despite what the numbers say this year. There just wasn’t anyone to get him the ball for most of this year. It’s not an accident that he started to play better when Jeremiah Williams regained his eligibility, and the last seven games of the year were solid: He hit 37 percent of his 3s down the stretch and looked strong in the Big Ten tournament loss to Maryland.

Having said that, there were also very significant growing pains. Griffiths struggled a lot on the defensive end, which seemed to hold him out of lineups. On top of that, it felt like he started to press for about a two-month period in December and January, never quite getting into rhythm. All told, the season was a disappointment, but I’m willing to bet on Griffiths, and I’d bet a number of other high-major schools would, too. — Sam Vecenie

Really no reason to boo him. I am sure he doesn't care. If he does well at Nebraska and plays a good road game at RAC, he will relish any boos! If he plays poorly and you boo him, he will probably just be glad he left and think the fans are jackoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Even though he loved RU
Honestly, your advice makes no sense unless your son had aspirations of beng a pro. If not, loving the college you're at and getting your degree from there is the most important thing. Your son did the right thing.

Reactions: knight82
Really no reason to boo him. I am sure he doesn't care. If he does well at Nebraska and plays a good road game at RAC, he will relish any boos! If he plays poorly and you boo him, he will probably just be glad he left and think the fans are jackoffs.
So what you're saying is booing is a no brainer-- it's for Gavin' good. Let's all boo him, it's to his benefit.

I will boo Gavin because he plays for an opposing team and I want Rutgers to win. From what we've seen this year, he sometimes can lack confidence and get down on himself. If booing him helps expediate that process, then I will boo as loud as I can. If he knocks down a couple 3s, I'll shut up.

I don't see any reason to boo him. My son, who isn't a D-1 athlete transferred, for various reasons. It isn't a crime.
He got a long leash here, getting many minutes while also sucking on O and D, and hanging his head and projecting bad body language. Not great, but not atypical for a freshman.

With experience, and (shocking) probably good coaching, he improved later in the year.

Now, after we absorbed all the freshman sucking, he can go to Nebraska and they can potentially reap the fruits of that. Boooo!

I don't believe you all will rag on Gavin when he comes back in a Nebraska uniform. No way, man.

You underestimate the RAC crowd. In the 90's - rowdily chanting "S A T" in unison every time Luthor Wright from SHU touched the ball. RAC is a hostile place for the opposition and a thunderous place for the home team. Next year hopefully the frenzy will be even crazier. I can also hope Nebraska is slated to play at the RAC.

Reactions: Kbee3 and dconifer
You underestimate the RAC crowd. In the 90's - rowdily chanting "S A T" in unison every time Luthor Wright from SHU touched the ball. RAC is a hostile place for the opposition and a thunderous place for the home team. Next year hopefully the frenzy will be even crazier. I can also hope Nebraska is slated to play at the RAC.
I remember signs and chanting about one of SHU's players being a deadbeat dad. Forgot his name. Brutal. I didn't condone it. But yeah, RAC is hostile!

It wasn't a hostile place this year because the Rutgers offense shot bricks.

I don't see any reason to boo him. My son, who isn't a D-1 athlete transferred, for various reasons. It isn't a crime.
Boo 😉

… but in all seriousness I agree it’s not a crime, and wish your son well. What will ultimately lead to big time booing of GG (if i know our jersey crowd like i think i do) is 2 things:

1) Everyone was pulling for him… he was sort of our pet project and when he struggled we over reacted on the positive side if he hit a shot… the entire fan base was in his corner despite some awful play. We all wanted him to succeed… sort of like pulling for the runt of the litter.

2) In today’s “me focused” world the young man said all the right high character things. We all thought he was the real deal team focused breath of fresh air. Not so much now, like it or not, good reason or not, his word rings hollow at this point.

He will be booed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT