ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin

The half court offense stinks because its a glorified playground one on one offense without the talent.Its unwatchable basketball and a real problem because all the coaches are former guards . They should watch the film of how Illinois and UConn runs an offense which gives players more options to score and puts pressure on opponents defense.
What rutgers players start for Illinois or UConn jmm?

Noah had a couple of nice plays, but was 4-13 from the field or less than 31%. You will not beat anyone shooting less than 31%. The play of the other players had hardly any impact. The only player on the roster who has any real upside is Gavin.
He also had 5 TOs. Noah was bad tonight

________ was bad tonight. Insert anyone basically

And you still don’t know that he can do that. None of us do. Yet you lock in on that. Not saying he isn’t the guy, but he just needs some time to develop before we know what we have.
He is the only person on the team who has the capability to potentially shoot much better and put up points in bunches. The rest of the roster is inept offensively. If Gavin isn’t the answer, there is no answer on this team.

I can tell you exactly what it means. If you look at our team, the defense is about as good as it is going to get (and it has been pretty good, we are holding teams to low 40% shooting), and our rebounding will be awful this year. The only way we are going to get any wins against good teams is to shoot better, and the only person on the roster who has any meaningful ability to raise their offensive game is Gavin. If you are not ready to ride Gavin, I hope you will be happy when we get wiped out as our schedule starts getting much harder.
Are you OK losing games by 30. I am dead serious.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
I truly don’t get it. Many posters who are typically wrong in many ways about the team and coaching are very consistent in how our offense and rebounding are abysmal.
if that is how an average person sees it why aren’t our coaches who are paid to do this not fixing the problems?
Our offense has been awful under like for years… now he just doesn’t have the players ti overcome some of the shortcomings of our bad “sets”

Reactions: RutgersChow
Are you OK losing games by 30. I am dead serious.
We just lost by 19 to a very mediocre Wake Forest team. If we are going to win some games against any team with a pulse, we need to find some offense, and I only see one viable way to do that. We might get blown out a couple of times, but guess what, it looks like it will happen anyway.

He’s not physically ready. Now what you can lay on the coach is not figuring out designed plays to get him uncontested looks but there’s only so many of those you can get without disrupting the entire offense. In the general flow, he’s just overmatched right now. No shame in that. He’s a freshman.
Looks like he has zero confidence in his ability to play at this level.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Pike should be giving him confidence not taking it away from him by consistently taking him out when others are screwing up just as much or more.

Generally I agree but Gavin was really bad tonight.

I didn’t have a problem with him having his minutes limited - missing shots was the least of the problems tonight from Gavin. He just looked really off in every facet.

We also have a game to try and win (which we obviously failed at).

Looks like he has zero confidence in his ability to play at this level.
Didn't look like a lack of confidence to me. He needs to get stronger and the staff needs to get him open looks. Just like with Spencer, they appear incapable of doing that.

Reactions: Unionst
Now I know he is not shooting well tonight but how can you have any confidence when every time you miss a shot Pikell is going to pull you out of the game which is exactly what he does why doesn’t he take Cliff out every time he turns the ball over drops the ball or misses a dunk!!
Because taking out a high school top 50 player who has started for four years would be an indictment of he and his staff - not the case taking out a freshman.

Will say again, a large part of coaching today is allowing the players to ‘get theirs’, showcase their abilities, etc. That’s also important for recruiting. They often don’t do much coaching at all, little more than adjusting the PT in search of production.

As a middle-high major so to speak, Pike is especially lenient and tolerates basically a pick-up game.

Sometimes this is good enough and players jive, and sometimes not. At the end of the day the players just need to play better.

He is the only person on the team who has the capability to potentially shoot much better and put up points in bunches. The rest of the roster is inept offensively. If Gavin isn’t the answer, there is no answer on this team.
Actually, that's what I'm afraid of at this point. That's a lot to ask of a freshman,

Reactions: RUBlackout
Oskar was the best player on the court I guess tonight 🤷

It's a sad state of affairs

This. Honestly, it’s not just today.

Look - everyone keeps complaining that Gavin should play more, but he’s not even outperforming Oskar at the moment. Oskar’s not the best defender, but then it’s not possible to be a materially weaker than GG right now. He’s just completely lost out there right now on D. He’ll get there eventually but… Steep learning curve.

So look - Oskar’s shooting at a higher percent than GG’s - overall and from 3. He turns the ball over less and has more steals. Better from the FT line. Similar per minute stats in rebounding, assists and blocks. If you just went by performance to date, who objectively would deserve more PT?

Reactions: Unionst
Adding to the above.....Oskar is getting knocked around...falling to the floor, getting hit in the face, etc. HE is really trying out there and is the closest thing to physical out of our 4s
Yes - that’s fair, and accurate. Despite limitations to his physical ability, its probably true that he’s been one of our better defensive options in the post. At the moment, he doesn’t deserve to sit because his D isn’t good enough. That’s for sure.

It is a sad state of affairs when last year we were so bad that Oskar was starting over Hyatt in the biggest game of the year.

Sadder this year when against SHU we probably start BOTH Hyatt and Oskar

It is a sad state of affairs when last year we were so bad that Oskar was starting over Hyatt in the biggest game of the year.

Sadder this year when against SHU we probably start BOTH Hyatt and Oskar

Roster management and recruiting. Yes Pike has had some bad luck but I have been hammering the talent issue for awhile now.

Obviously recruiting isnt an issue for next year but we are suffering the effects this season. Pike whiffed with Jaden Jones but didnt replace him. Derek and Wolf are okay players but not impact recruits you want to bring in after a 3 year NCAA run. Last years class to me a bit shaky

And alot of this because the ridiculous 5th year covid and new portal world of free agency

I am concerned about the staffs ability to navigate the new world of free agency which requires less loyalty from them. Mulcahy needed to be given an in ir out ultimatum after Cam bolted. The Mag thing with NIL bothers me

Roster management and recruiting. Yes Pike has had some bad luck but I have been hammering the talent issue for awhile now.

Obviously recruiting isnt an issue for next year but we are suffering the effects this season. Pike whiffed with Jaden Jones but didnt replace him. Derek and Wolf are okay players but not impact recruits you want to bring in after a 3 year NCAA run. Last years class to me a bit shaky

And alot of this because the ridiculous 5th year covid and new portal world of free agency

I am concerned about the staffs ability to navigate the new world of free agency which requires less loyalty from them. Mulcahy needed to be given an in ir out ultimatum after Cam bolted. The Mag thing with NIL bothers me
What is the NIL deal with Mag? He’s international so he’s technically not allowed, right? Obviously, we worked something out but if he decides not to play how does that even work?

All of us have no idea what the dynamics are. Dont know where the money cones from. How much there is

Maybe the staff had to roll the dice that Cam stayed, but knowing it was tall odds given the lack of money we had left and the money other schools had.

Maybe the ultamatium you are talking about was under market and sure to scare him off. Maybe we almost pulled it off, keeping him while paying under market prices

Again none of us have any clue. It is all dark.

What is the NIL deal with Mag? He’s international so he’s technically not allowed, right? Obviously, we worked something out but if he decides not to play how does that even work?

I dont know but imo all the NIL deals should be public but explain to me how a guy who was injured and we were taking care of all of sudden is ready to jump at an offer somewhere else out of nowhere...and now we are stuck not even knowing if he will play or even stay here

Schools will figure it out.

When you rrally think about it Mag would be a fool financially for ever suiting up this year.

All of us have no idea what the dynamics are. Dont know where the money cones from. How much there is

Maybe the staff had to roll the dice that Cam stayed, but knowing it was tall odds given the lack of money we had left and the money other schools had.

Maybe the ultamatium you are talking about was under market and sure to scare him off. Maybe we almost pulled it off, keeping him while paying under market prices

I hate it and eventually will not be a fan

Schools will figure it out.

When you rrally think about it Mag would be a fool financially for ever suiting up this year.

Thats bullshit there needs to be rules

When you think about what is stopping a 5th year senior from just collecting $300k and just half assing it especially if by mideseason a team is out of postseason contention

You are biased because of your disdain towards NIL. I don’t love it either, but I don’t think what your suggesting was the issue with Cam. He played us - plain and simple. UConn paid him, but we were paying him too. I don’t think the move was about the money as much as this is his last chance to go to the tourney (he’s never been) and wanted to make sure he’d get there. Probably nothing we could’ve done to stop that one.

Paul was an ego thing and it had nothing to do with Dylan and Ace and their money. Paul is a Rutgers guy through and through. Nobody would be more excited than him for the program to continue to elevate. No - in his case it was about Noah. He wanted to be the PG and resented Pike bringing in a replacement. In the end, I’m not sure he was wrong. Paul is better than Noah, honestly. Pretty much at everything. I think we made a mistake but I don’t think it had to do with our 2024 class.

I hate it and eventually will not be a fan
I fully expect to be dislodged at the RAC. That could accelerate me from leaving. I hate the way the game is going. I find myself watching hockey over everything non RU hoops right now.

Dylan coming is great, but i can see it the beginning of the end for me and possibly the program itself

Reactions: bac2therac
Yesterday Gavin looked even more tentative on offense, he’s sometimes late in the recover on help and recover D (the double off picks is a staple of our D), and he RARELY gets a first look from Hyatt or Simpson on offense.

He needs to play with more confidence and part of that is on the team (lack of chemistry), part is on the coaches (always looking over your shoulder and getting pulled every 3 minutes), but the rest is on him his mental approach to the game.

And sadly Big Cliff still has the hands of a soccer player… it’s not going to change.

You are biased because of your disdain towards NIL. I don’t love it either, but I don’t think what your suggesting was the issue with Cam. He played us - plain and simple. UConn paid him, but we were paying him too. I don’t think the move was about the money as much as this is his last chance to go to the tourney (he’s never been) and wanted to make sure he’d get there. Probably nothing we could’ve done to stop that one.

Paul was an ego thing and it had nothing to do with Dylan and Ace and their money. Paul is a Rutgers guy through and through. Nobody would be more excited than him for the program to continue to elevate. No - in his case it was about Noah. He wanted to be the PG and resented Pike bringing in a replacement. In the end, I’m not sure he was wrong. Paul is better than Noah, honestly. Pretty much at everything. I think we made a mistake but I don’t think it had to do with our 2024 class.

In fairness to Pike he had to bring in Noah. Apparently Paul wasn't giving 100% commitment in coming back. These days you need it. Coaches need to stop being loyal. Not sure why Paul would be afrsid of Noah given what we have seen

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Again regarding NIL. I hate it, but the players deserve to get paid.

Mawot Mag, Cam Spencer and Paul Mulcahy should like at this like a business it is. Pike wouldnt make financially dumb decisions, why would they.

If Dylan and Ace are making $1,000,000 (no idea?!?) we should expect Mag to play injured for practically free?

In fairness to Pike he had to bring in Noah. Apparently Paul wasn't giving 100% commitment in coming back. These days you need it. Coaches need to stop being loyal. Not sure why Paul would be afrsid of Noah given what we have seen
Do you know the facts?

Again regarding NIL. I hate it, but the players deserve to get paid.

Mawot Mag, Cam Spencer and Paul Mulcahy should like at this like a business it is. Pike wouldnt make financially dumb decisions, why would they.

If Dylan and Ace are making $1,000,000 (no idea?!?) we should expect Mag to play injured for practically free?

But why should we pay an injured player when there are other fishes

Thats bullshit there needs to be rules

When you think about what is stopping a 5th year senior from just collecting $300k and just half assing it especially if by mideseason a team is out of postseason contention
I guess it would depend on how the payment is being doled out. For example, I remember a couple of cases last year where players still needed to make a couple of appearances to receive the full payment from that particular NIL agreement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT