ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin

He’s not physically ready. Now what you can lay on the coach is not figuring out designed plays to get him uncontested looks but there’s only so many of those you can get without disrupting the entire offense. In the general flow, he’s just overmatched right now. No shame in that. He’s a freshman.

He’s not physically ready. Now what you can lay on the coach is not figuring out designed plays to get him uncontested looks but there’s only so many of those you can get without disrupting the entire offense. In the general flow, he’s just overmatched right now. No shame in that. He’s a freshman.
What offense????

Stop. He got the ball in good position a few times tonight and couldn’t get it done whether it was guys being stronger than expected or closing faster than expected. He just needs time to adjust.
Pike needs to tell him to be aggressive and keep shooting. Pike needs to tell him he is our best offensive player and we are going to ride him. If he doesn’t, this team is finished because no one else can score. Wake Forest is not a good team.

Reactions: Scangg
Gavin did a lot more bad than just missing shots.
I was being charitable. The problem is that we as a fan base placed way too much weight on him too early because we lost Paul and Cam unexpectedly. He will be fine.

Pike needs to tell him to be aggressive and keep shooting. Pike needs to tell him he is our best offensive player and we are going to ride him. If he doesn’t, this team is finished because no one else can score. Wake Forest is not a good team.
We don’t know that he is our best offensive player now. See my other post about premature expectations. How can you possibly make this statement after seeing him for only a few games? Are you at every practice?

We don’t know that he is our best offensive player now. See my other post about premature expectations. How can you possibly make this statement after seeing him for only a few games? Are you at every practice?
You want to know how I know? Because everyone else on the roster SUCKS!!!!!

You want to know how I know? Because everyone else on the roster SUCKS!!!!!
Oh that’s good, rational stuff right there. Noah didn’t step up at times tonight? Andre? Even Oskar? Wolf? Keep rationalizing but he didn’t play well at all tonight. He’ll learn and better days are ahead for him. That said, he wasn’t a good option tonight.

Did not get the Acc feed until 5 minutes to go. Following along on Gamecast until I got the feed. Got it to 50-48 and Noah misses a 3 and then get blitzed 18-0.
Looking at box score and game cast , Gavin was 0-5 , the last one in garbage time wide open and he still missed. But you cannot have a stat line of 0-5 shooting , 2 turnovers and 1 rebound and 2 fouls. Those are stats from a walk on coming in with 3 minutes to go.
Derek and Cliff also missing , Derek 2-7 and Cliff only 2-4 but his guy got 14 rebounds and 12 points on him. If we are getting nothing from Cliff, Derek and Gavin , we will hardly win this year.
I cannot believe how bad the shooting was and how bad the rebounding was as Wake Forest when they missed got a ton of offensive rebounds , I think 15 tonight. Pike did not get the rebounding problem solved and it gave Wake extra possessions. 3 games in a row .
Hard to believe Derek, Gavin and Cliff have shot like this and played like this. I went to the Jimmy V last night and saw 4 really good teams but really what they both did across almost their entire lineups was guys made shots, simple shots , driving layups , shots off screens. Shooting this badly affects every part of your game. Someone needs to get a hypnotist in to work on the guys. Ugly loss tonight.

Reactions: Wagram97
Oh that’s good, rational stuff right there. Noah didn’t step up at times tonight? Andre? Even Oskar? Wolf? Keep rationalizing but he didn’t play well at all tonight. He’ll learn and better days are ahead for him. That said, he wasn’t a good option tonight.
Noah had a couple of nice plays, but was 4-13 from the field or less than 31%. You will not beat anyone shooting less than 31%. The play of the other players had hardly any impact. The only player on the roster who has any real upside is Gavin.

Reactions: Scangg
Did not get the Acc feed until 5 minutes to go. Following along on Gamecast until I got the feed. Got it to 50-48 and Noah misses a 3 and then get blitzed 18-0.
Looking at box score and game cast , Gavin was 0-5 , the last one in garbage time wide open and he still missed. But you cannot have a stat line of 0-5 shooting , 2 turnovers and 1 rebound and 2 fouls. Those are stats from a walk on coming in with 3 minutes to go.
Derek and Cliff also missing , Derek 2-7 and Cliff only 2-4 but his guy got 14 rebounds and 12 points on him. If we are getting nothing from Cliff, Derek and Gavin , we will hardly win this year.
I cannot believe how bad the shooting was and how bad the rebounding was as Wake Forest when they missed got a ton of offensive rebounds , I think 15 tonight. Pike did not get the rebounding problem solved and it gave Wake extra possessions. 3 games in a row .
Hard to believe Derek, Gavin and Cliff have shot like this and played like this. I went to the Jimmy V last night and saw 4 really good teams but really what they both did across almost their entire lineups was guys made shots, simple shots , driving layups , shots off screens. Shooting this badly affects every part of your game. Someone needs to get a hypnotist in to work on the guys. Ugly loss tonight.
Setting some screens would be a major step up for our offense. For whatever reason, our coaching staff seems happy to let guys try to go iso, which might work next year, but certainly not with this team. We need to get some guys open for some easier shots.

Reactions: RUPete and Scangg
Now I know he is not shooting well tonight but how can you have any confidence when every time you miss a shot Pikell is going to pull you out of the game which is exactly what he does why doesn’t he take Cliff out every time he turns the ball over drops the ball or misses a dunk!!
It is time to worry when the coach isn't paying attention to a player.

Let’s see requirements of a good basketball team:
Shooting- failed
Rebounding- failed
Foul Shooting- failed
Defense- failed
Yup that about says it all
The half court offense stinks because its a glorified playground one on one offense without the talent.Its unwatchable basketball and a real problem because all the coaches are former guards . They should watch the film of how Illinois and UConn runs a offense which gives players more options to score and puts pressure on opponents defense.

Noah had a couple of nice plays, but was 4-13 from the field or less than 31%. You will not beat anyone shooting less than 31%. The play of the other players had hardly any impact. The only player on the roster who has any real upside is Gavin.
“Upside?” What does that mean when you really don’t know what a player can do? Like I said, he wasn’t good tonight and needs some time. Nothing to do with a coach killing him or anything.

The half court offense stinks because it’s a glorified playground one on one offense without the talent.Its unwatchable basketball and a real problem because all the coaches are former guards . They should watch the film of how Illinois and UConn runs a offense which gives players more options to score and puts pressure on opponents defense.
Maybe you should relieve them of their duties JMM.

Now I know he is not shooting well tonight but how can you have any confidence when every time you miss a shot Pikell is going to pull you out of the game which is exactly what he does why doesn’t he take Cliff out every time he turns the ball over drops the ball or misses a dunk!!
Because Cliff is a star. And GG isn't shooting well because the staff doesn't know how to free him up. Same was true of Cam Spencer, and that is partially the reason he left. They need someone like a Phil Martelli on the staff - an older, experienced guy, maybe near retirement, who is an excellent offensive teacher of fundamentals and offensive sets. AAU guys rarely fit the mold.

The half court offense stinks because its a glorified playground one on one offense without the talent.Its unwatchable basketball and a real problem because all the coaches are former guards . They should watch the film of how Illinois and UConn runs an offense which gives players more options to score and puts pressure on opponents defense.
exactly. And they run an offense with much more talented players than us. Uconn especially has constant movements and multiple actions to defend in a given set. And this is with better players who can beat you one on one as well. I just don’t get how we consistently can’t run repeatable offense year after year. I really isn’t that difficult to teach and develop with the amount of time the coaches get to practice and with these players

Reactions: Unionst
exactly. And they run an offense with much more talented players than us. Uconn especially has constant movements and multiple actions to defend in a given set. And this is with better players who can beat you one on one as well. I just don’t get how we consistently can’t run repeatable offense year after year. I really isn’t that difficult to teach and develop with the amount of time the coaches get to practice and with these players
They either don't want to run such an offense, or are unable to teach it. It can only be one of the two.

Reactions: Shell21
“Upside?” What does that mean when you really don’t know what a player can do? Like I said, he wasn’t good tonight and needs some time. Nothing to do with a coach killing him or anything.
I can tell you exactly what it means. If you look at our team, the defense is about as good as it is going to get (and it has been pretty good, we are holding teams to low 40% shooting), and our rebounding will be awful this year. The only way we are going to get any wins against good teams is to shoot better, and the only person on the roster who has any meaningful ability to raise their offensive game is Gavin. If you are not ready to ride Gavin, I hope you will be happy when we get wiped out as our schedule starts getting much harder.

They either don't want to run such an offense, or are unable to teach it. It can only be one of the two.
it’s year after year so we can’t say it’s the players because we’ve had them come and go. Every time I see a new set i get excited that we will finally run stuff that actually looks like an offense but then it is few and far between. We aren’t tough to defend because we don’t use multiple actions and repeatable offense besides continuity ball screen. It’s always too slow and plodding. Most teams run action first before they throw it down into the post. Even purdue does with the most dominate center in the game.

I can tell you exactly what it means. If you look at our team, the defense is about as good as it is going to get (and it has been pretty good, we are holding teams to low 40% shooting), and our rebounding will be awful this year. The only way we are going to get any wins against good teams is to shoot better, and the only person on the roster who has any meaningful ability to raise their offensive game is Gavin. If you are not ready to ride Gavin, I hope you will be happy when we get wiped out as our schedule starts getting much harder.
And you still don’t know that he can do that. None of us do. Yet you lock in on that. Not saying he isn’t the guy, but he just needs some time to develop before we know what we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT