ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Lineup and Rotations for Maryland: Thoughts

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
While we all love Davis, I wonder if Hyatt gets reinserted into the starting lineup tomorrow. Thus: J. Williams, Simpson, Hyatt, Mag, Cliff. Curious if J. Will can create some open shot opportunities for Hyatt. Honestly, if we are talking offensively only, that's your best starting five.

Other questions: Does Woolfolk sniff the court or has Ogbole taken his minutes? Is Fernandes now a 4 minute player? Can we afford to play Griffiths a long time when there's a little bit of hope left and he turns the ball over at such a high rate?

For some reason Hyatt appears to all of a sudden be in the doghouse so I would think he goes with the starting line up of JMike, Simpson, JW, Mag and Cliff;
I was very surprised that Woolfolk didn't sniff the court at all last game; I guess Ogbole is the #2 center he did OK for not having played at all and coming in from JUCO

Hyatt’s also the only main rotation piece that won’t be around next year (excl. Fernandes)
ohhh.. I see.. so.. like we are playing for next year now? Could be.. sounds reasonable.

I do like the way Cliff got some dunks on dishes from Simpson and Williams. More of that, please.

Reactions: Kbee3
For some reason Hyatt appears to all of a sudden be in the doghouse so I would think he goes with the starting line up of JMike, Simpson, JW, Mag and Cliff;
I was very surprised that Woolfolk didn't sniff the court at all last game; I guess Ogbole is the #2 center he did OK for not having played at all and coming in from JUCO
Simpson said something in his post-game comments after Michigan that Hyatt had to overcome some issue in practice. I wonder what that is all about?

Reactions: njxchange
ohhh.. I see.. so.. like we are playing for next year now? Could be.. sounds reasonable.

I do like the way Cliff got some dunks on dishes from Simpson and Williams. More of that, please.
Maybe. That doesn’t really seem like Pike, but despite being honestly quite good this season before his recent slide, he’s only played 17 and 15 minutes in the last two games.

While we all love Davis, I wonder if Hyatt gets reinserted into the starting lineup tomorrow. Thus: J. Williams, Simpson, Hyatt, Mag, Cliff. Curious if J. Will can create some open shot opportunities for Hyatt. Honestly, if we are talking offensively only, that's your best starting five.

Other questions: Does Woolfolk sniff the court or has Ogbole taken his minutes? Is Fernandes now a 4 minute player? Can we afford to play Griffiths a long time when there's a little bit of hope left and he turns the ball over at such a high rate?
What you saw last game is it. Hyatt off the bench. Big E for Wolf. No Oskar, limited role for Fernandes

Reactions: njxchange
Pike just changed the starting lineup so I'd expect him to give it another go

Ogbole vs Wolf I think is still TBD. It's possible that was a matchup specific decision. Reed is a big boy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Wolf and Ogbole minutes change based on the team we play unless one significantly outplays the other

It's also possible Pike has seen enough of Wolf and wants to see what Ogbole can do down the home stretch so he knows what he has next year and can plan accordingly. This Maryland game will be very telling

I bet it will be the same starting lineup as we ran out against Michigan. Defending Maryland is highly about slowing Young (if you can), Reese, and Scott. Cliff has Reese. Mag has Scott. It is up to the guards to pester Young as much as possible. The only way I think that might be different is if Pike wants to start Davis on the bench so he can come in fresh after Simpson or JWill spend the first shift guarding Young.

This might be just me talking because I'm up too late, but I like our chances far more than the spread of 8.5 would indicate.

Reactions: Scangg
I bet it will be the same starting lineup as we ran out against Michigan. Defending Maryland is highly about slowing Young (if you can), Reese, and Scott. Cliff has Reese. Mag has Scott. It is up to the guards to pester Young as much as possible. The only way I think that might be different is if Pike wants to start Davis on the bench so he can come in fresh after Simpson or JWill spend the first shift guarding Young.

This might be just me talking because I'm up too late, but I like our chances far more than the spread of 8.5 would indicate.
I like the matchup against Maryland as well

8.5 is a lot of points when the final total could be in the 50s

Maryland has a lot of size and length at the guard and wing spots.

Reese 6-9, 230
Scott 6-8, 230
Geronimo 6-6, 225
Harris-Smith 6-5, 215
Young 6-1, 185

Long 6-5, 200
Kaiser 6-6, 205

Along with JWill, we’re going to need more Hyatt and Mag to deal with these 6-5, 6-6 guys, and probably less smaller guards.

I think we start Cliff (Reese), Mag (Scott), Hyatt (Geronimo), JWill (Harris-Smith), and Simpson (Young). So Hyatt replaces JMike in the starting lineup.

But JMike will play a lot, as Young plays 35 mpg for the Terps, so we will need Simpson and JMike to alternate defending him.

I also don’t know if this is a good game for Ogbole. Reese is a quick, athletic 5, and I think Woolf is a better matchup for the backup minutes.

Reese 6-9, 230
Scott 6-8, 230
Geronimo 6-6, 225
Harris-Smith 6-5, 215
Young 6-1, 185

Long 6-5, 200
Kaiser 6-6, 205

Along with JWill, we’re going to need more Hyatt and Mag to deal with these 6-5, 6-6 guys, and probably less smaller guards.

I think we start Cliff (Reese), Mag (Scott), Hyatt (Geronimo), JWill (Harris-Smith), and Simpson (Young). So Hyatt replaces JMike in the starting lineup.

But JMike will play a lot, as Young plays 35 mpg for the Terps, so we will need Simpson and JMike to alternate defending him.

I also don’t know if this is a good game for Ogbole. Reese is a quick, athletic 5, and I think Woolf is a better matchup for the backup minutes.
Maybe Pikiell will see that and play Woolf this game and do it on a game by game decision based on the match ups

Reactions: Scangg
Here's a weird thought re: beating MD.. when I saw refs at Michigancall some travels and moving picks by UM I thought we might have a chance. When teams can just push us around and go over the top and travel to avoid turnovers we get slaughtered. So, when the game begins tonight I will be watching to see how loose the refs play it.

Also.. MD is second in FTA and has taken 511 while their opponents have only taken 389.. for a middle-of-the-pack spot there. Rutgers has taken 442 and gave up 371 but our FT% is dead last. So, refs might be able to pick the final score if you see them calling lots of shooting fouls against us.

Young is going to get his points but we do match up well with them. If we play well…

Reese 6-9, 230
Scott 6-8, 230
Geronimo 6-6, 225
Harris-Smith 6-5, 215
Young 6-1, 185

Long 6-5, 200
Kaiser 6-6, 205

Good points. It probably does make more sense to go with a bigger lineup here than the 3 guard one we saw last game. Keep a fresh defender on Young when Davis comes in

Maybe Pikiell will see that and play Woolf this game and do it on a game by game decision based on the match ups
I've been raising this possibility as well. Reed is larger thick strong big man that Ogbole matches up better with than Wolf. It's not like Ogbole came in and dominated. It's TBD if he has won the backup job permanently or if that was a matchip dependant decision

Hyatt’s also the only main rotation piece that won’t be around next year (excl. Fernandes)
Absolutely not a factor....Pike owes it to the current roster to win games and also to potentially make the NIT. If he feels Hyatt will help the team win now with more PT rather than less he will play more, independent of next year.

Doghouse perhaps due to something the rest of the roster realizes, but strictly talent-wise Pike will not sandbag now for future benefit. Never.

Absolutely not a factor....Pike owes it to the current roster to win games and also to potentially make the NIT. If he feels Hyatt will help the team win now with more PT rather than less he will play more, independent of next year.

Doghouse perhaps due to something the rest of the roster realizes, but strictly talent-wise Pike will not sandbag now for future benefit. Never.
Yep. No D1 coach is going to sacrifice a potential victory for the sake of future development. There's a whole off-season for that

Reactions: Shelby65
Not complicated, whoever is playing the best will be pulled 5 min into the game and won’t come back until the second half.

• Haha
Reactions: LETSGORU91
Michigan just started these five against our three guard lineup:

McDaniel 5' 11", 175#
Burnett 6' 4", 200#
Williams 6' 7", 225#
Nkamhoua 6' 9", 235#
Reed 6' 10", 265#

But Maryland is too big for us to start the same three guards we did on Saturday? Harris-Smith is 1" taller and 15# heavier than Burnett. Young is bigger than McDaniel but not noticeably larger than Simpson or Davis. The Maryland frontcourt trio are smaller than the Michigan guys.

If we start both Davis and Simpson and Maryland counters by trying to run iso or bully ball with Harris-Smith (averages less than 7 ppg) instead of running the offense through Young or Reese, so be it. Start the guys we feel make for our best five and make Maryland match up with us. My only hesitation is wondering if we change it so one of Davis/Simpson can always be on the floor to guard Young.

Michigan just started these five against our three guard lineup:

McDaniel 5' 11", 175#
Burnett 6' 4", 200#
Williams 6' 7", 225#
Nkamhoua 6' 9", 235#
Reed 6' 10", 265#

But Maryland is too big for us to start the same three guards we did on Saturday? Harris-Smith is 1" taller and 15# heavier than Burnett. Young is bigger than McDaniel but not noticeably larger than Simpson or Davis. The Maryland frontcourt trio are smaller than the Michigan guys.

If we start both Davis and Simpson and Maryland counters by trying to run iso or bully ball with Harris-Smith (averages less than 7 ppg) instead of running the offense through Young or Reese, so be it. Start the guys we feel make for our best five and make Maryland match up with us. My only hesitation is wondering if we change it so one of Davis/Simpson can always be on the floor to guard Young.
You make a fair point. But I would point out that Burnett is a more traditional "guard" than either of Harris-Smith (6-5, 215) or Geronimo (6-6, 225), who both seem like more burly wing types. JMike could more readily guard Burnett or Dug, but I think the bigger guys on Maryland leave JMike exposed to being backed down on the block. That's why I think Hyatt should start in this game over JMike.

Geronimo has scored 43 points in 9 games in 2024, and only 34 pts in his last eight games including three zeros. Harris-Smith has 44 pts in those 9 games. Again, if Maryland wants to flip their offensive game plan and take shots away from a guy I think is deserving of B1G player of the year consideration (not that Edey isn't a lock, of course) and give those shots to Geronimo or Harris-Smith, be my guest. You can help off of either of those guys, too, as neither is a 3 pt threat on the year (H-S is 9-56, Geronimo is 6-36).

I would go with:

Simpson on Young
Davis on Harris-Smith
Williams on Geronimo
Mag on Scott
Cliff on Reese

Heck, I doubt we can learn it in time, but I'd do a junk defense at times with the box and one or triangle and two, if we know how. Keep Simpson on Young, Cliff on Reese, and triangle the other three with Davis up top and Mag/Williams on either wing.

We shall see the plan in a few more hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT