ADVERTISEMENT

Geo in Trenton Today

No political sewage please.—Just an article about Geo and NIL. Hope people don’t drive the thread off a cliff.

Reactions: NickRU714
No political sewage please.—Just an article about Geo and NIL. Hope people don’t drive the thread off a cliff.
I respect what you are saying. I am a democrat and I am strongly against what he is doing.

the irony is if players could get paid for their likeness ultimately (15-20 years down the road) there isn’t a scholarship for Geo Baker to play basketball.

college sports is a changing.
We might not like the direction we think it's heading, but we need to accept change will happen
and hope it isn't enough to make us feel college sports has been corrupted .

My compromise to what the players are asking for is:
let them receive a portion of what their name and image brings in, but they share it equally with the other members of the team they are on.
After their collage career is over they get the full amount , if the schools is still profiting from selling items related to them.

I respect what you are saying. I am a democrat and I am strongly against what he is doing.

the irony is if players could get paid for their likeness ultimately (15-20 years down the road) there isn’t a scholarship for Geo Baker to play basketball.
That’s not the irony of it. That’s actually the exact reason he was in Trenton today.

He was saying that twenty states have NIL laws going into effect on July 1st and NJ isn’t one of them. He told them that action is needed now. Not in the 15-20 years you mentioned.

And I’m not arguing for or against his reasoning. Just pointing out how he knows that change is usually very slow when it comes to laws dealing with amateurism. He’s trying to speed it up.

I though ncaa is set to pass nil next week so all this state stuff doesn’t matter right?

Geo Baker without "RUTGERS" on the front of his jersey is just some obscure guy named Geo Baker. If he was at say Connecticut you would barely know who he was.

However, it will become a great recruiting tool for those who have serious unscrupulous boosters willing to payout for little ROI. Rutgers is not one of those schools.

Last edited:
college sports is a changing.
We might not like the direction we think it's heading, but we need to accept change will happen
and hope it isn't enough to make us feel college sports has been corrupted .

Ummm....this wasn't serious, right?

May I direct your attention to the many (and I mean MANY) threads about the latest recruiting scandal and schools paying players.

College sports is already rampant with players being paid - in a secret and covert manner.

Geo Baker without "RUTGERS" on the front of his jersey is just some obscure guy named Geo Baker. If he was at say Connecticut you would barely know who he was.

However, it will become a great recruiting tool for those who have serious unscrupulous boosters willing to payout for little ROI. Rutgers is not one of those schools.
So he did nothing for us? Really?

Just a reminder that if/when this goes into effect, it won’t be the schools paying the players. It means players can use their names, images or likeness to earn money. So Geo Baker could run a basketball camp, earn money doing stand up comedy or a car commercial. It doesn’t affect the schools at all.

Ummm....this wasn't serious, right?

May I direct your attention to the many (and I mean MANY) threads about the latest recruiting scandal and schools paying players.

College sports is already rampant with players being paid - in a secret and covert manner.
True college sports has been and still is a corrupt game.
But that will never change, just the way corrupt acts are done will be hidden better with a wink and nod from the most corrupt of all:
NCAA Leadership.

Take the coaches shoe and merchandising deals away or share it with the players.
Remember if that coach wasn't affiliated with the school the money made, as that school's HC, wouldn't be there .
Players are paid in scholerships for playing, if the HC can earn extra income above his salary on merchandising deals that are school related, the players should be able to earn income on school merchandise sold using the player's name or image..

Last edited:
Reactions: cm_13 and NickRU714
So he did nothing for us? Really?
Where did I say that? You think this board reflects the NJ general public? He's not a household name and like I said if he played for Connecticut you probably wouldn't even know much about him. Sure he may be able to do some nickle and dime basketball camps but in Oregon they'll be slapping NIke's on 4 star's asses and paying them $100k. If you think this move will help Rutgers in anyway you're sorely mistaken.

Reactions: motorb54
I though ncaa is set to pass nil next week so all this state stuff doesn’t matter right?

I’ve been wondering how that would work. NCAA gives the green light but doesn’t that just means that absent federal law (which I don’t think is in the pipeline) each state would technically get to decide if amateur profits can be earned on their grounds.

Where did I say that? You think this board reflects the NJ general public? He's not a household name and like I said if he played for Connecticut you probably wouldn't even know much about him. Sure he may be able to do some nickle and dime basketball camps but in Oregon they'll be slapping NIke's on 4 star's asses and paying them $100k. If you think this move will help Rutgers in anyway you're sorely mistaken.
Tell me you didn’t read the article without telling me you didn’t read the article.

Reactions: RUChoppin and cm_13
Just a reminder that if/when this goes into effect, it won’t be the schools paying the players. It means players can use their names, images or likeness to earn money. So Geo Baker could run a basketball camp, earn money doing stand up comedy or a car commercial. It doesn’t affect the schools at all.
And exactly how is that supposed to work. Just think about recruiting pitches….

come here and
1. We will put you on the front cover of media guide
2. We will put your jersey for sale in front of the store
3. You will help at the camp and make x amount of money
4. You will perform at the stress factory on a random date in October in front of donors that will pay $100 per plate.
5. You will get paid to do an ad spot for East Brunswick Nissan

How would you possibly police this? Do you cap earnings? Kentucky is going to be paying players, legally thru boosters, $500,000 plus.

cam Newton would have legally made a million bucks

The ship has sailed. So NJ colleges wait until 2025 while the other states use this in recruiting?

How would you possibly police this? Do you cap earnings? Kentucky is going to be paying players, legally thru boosters, $500,000 plus.

My concern as well. If college becomes in essence a professional sports league I have no interest. On the bright side I’ll have more pocket change and my golf game should improve.

Reactions: koleszar

Too late, its already going forward - this is just a matter of timing differences by state. Besides, how was it policed before? Selectively, after the fact and with non uniform penalties.

Anecdotally - parent of one of my kid's friends was a 3rd string D1 QB at a southern school and was handed a Vette by one of the boosters.

Too late, its already going forward - this is just a matter of timing differences by state. Besides, how was it policed before? Selectively, after the fact and with non uniform penalties.

Anecdotally - parent of one of my kid's friends was a 3rd string D1 QB at a southern school and was handed a Vette by one of the boosters.
3rd string? Damn, what did first string get?

Reactions: runrutgersrun

At least they had to try to hide it before. Now it can be done out in the open. We don’t have the ammunition to compete in this arena.

At least they had to try to hide it before. Now it can be done out in the open. We don’t have the ammunition to compete in this arena.

Isn't that better?
Why is a system of secret, hidden payments better?

The big problem is that fans (like many here) can't take the "moral high ground" anymore and complain about schools paying players anymore once it's out in the open.

My concern as well. If college becomes in essence a professional sports league I have no interest. On the bright side I’ll have more pocket change and my golf game should improve.

Can you explain this?
Alot of people keep repeating this lie.

Do you think players aren't already getting payments?
Are you assuming college athletics isn't filled with schools cheating and breaking rules - daily?

Why are you (and many others) okay with the current system but allegedly furious at the same system being made public?

Reactions: tm_nj
We are heading in a direction where players will get paid. There is no way to stop that because too much money is being made by everyone but the players. The romantic idea of amature sports just doesn't apply here anymore. The question is where does it move in the future? NIL will make things crazy fast, and it's ripe for major abuse. We just don't know what that will look like yet. My guess is that the inequities will be even worst than now with the cheaters and football factories having new ways to pay players even more. I think the only way to make things fair is to have revenue sharing deal like NFL. The players can have NIL, but all the players are paid a baseline from a pool shared by all P5 schools. Or the NIL also gets split with the pool. Or something like that.

Last edited:
Can you explain this?
Alot of people keep repeating this lie.

Do you think players aren't already getting payments?
Are you assuming college athletics isn't filled with schools cheating and breaking rules - daily?

Why are you (and many others) okay with the current system but allegedly furious at the same system being made public?
I am sure some are getting paid now but I am concerned this opens the floodgates and any semblance of a competitive structure may evaporate. Note I did not state this would happen nor repeat a lie. I said it was a concern. Meaning I am not sure it will happen but I have a concern it could happen. Its not a major concern. Life will go on just as well without college sports for me. I won’t be furious lol - I will simply do something else with my free time.

So are there any boundaries? Can Michigan State run a camp taught by Izzo and the players where it costs $50,000 per camper to attend? All the best young players will attend because what they learn will be invaluable and allow them to get a scholarship which gets an education and the ability to monetize their likeness.

How are these kids going to get $50,000 to attend? Donations that will be tax deductible in to an organization that helps young kids find good colleges. What better way than to go to the MSU camp?

This becomes all legal and out in the open.

If you want to go lower scale....jersey signings. The market at Kentucky is $400 for an autographed jersey for a 5 star recruit. We are hearing from the grapevine that at least 500 season ticket holders would like to spend 2 minutes with you and have you sign the jersey.

How about a lunch with the Duke recruiting class and Grant Hill. $2,000 a plate.

Last edited:
Gotta love these guys that sign on the dotted line for a free education in turn for playing a sport, then want to change the rules afterwards.

Don't like the rules, then don't sign...Someone else will gladly take their place.
Have you never asked for a raise at work?

Reactions: tm_nj and cm_13
Oh man, is Kentucky going to start getting all the best players?

Going to be a real shakeup.....

Just imagine a world where all the top recruits going to the same top programs year after year for the highest price.

Definately don't want a system that allows this.....

Reactions: kcg88 and RUsojo
Oh man, is Kentucky going to start getting all the best players?
How about try a Maryland. UA decides to start sponsoring players. They just flew by Rutgers in football and you”ll have no chance in hell of sniffing their jocks any longer in basketball.

Reactions: RU2131 and RULoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT