ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown fires Thompson

True on hoops being fourth at Texas! That said, the coach won't lack for resources there. I am astounded by the amount of money available and poured into that program.
I'm not, it's Texas. Between the oil money and the revenue generated by football (I think the baseball team even generates revenue) I'm not surprised.

I think Shaka will be just fine there.

Barnes has 31 wins in two seasons at Tennessee. Smart has 31 wins in two seasons at Texas in a tougher conference.

The difference is that Smart had a big drop off from a 20 win first season

Exactly and Tennessee as big as it is does not have Texas resources. Barnes rebuilding, Smart has taken step backwards. We shall see.

wow. ..end of era for the family. Big john practically lived on campus the last decade with his son coaching.

Do they try and bring in Ewing? Would he make a good college coach?
This doesn't surprise me at all. He was given everything to succeed there and he didn't get it done. It will be interesting to see who they go after. Do they keep it in the Georgetown family---i.e. Ewing or is time for the AD to make a clean break and bring in a top flight coach from the outside?

Mack Brown and Barnes had long tenures at UT because they had good records.

Exactly and Tennessee as big as it is does not have Texas resources. Barnes rebuilding, Smart has taken step backwards. We shall see.
Texas likes him. They knew this season was going to be bad.

Plus he told them when he took the job year two would be really rough because they'd lose so many guys and have to start from the bottom and build the roster back up.

Also, Texas will get a new AD in the next couple years anyway. This one and current President aren't going to put any heat on Shaka.

GTown wants Amaker, but doesn't appear that the interest is that high on Amaker's part....could be negotiation ploy or really not looking to leave for GTown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT