ADVERTISEMENT

Good news

I am surprised that the jurisdiction of the RUPD is so limited. When, ages ago, I was a Berkeley student, the University of California Police Department had jurisdiction for up to a mile away from the campus. I also do not think that the RUPD in Camden are as limited as RUPD in New Brunswick. In Camden, the Camden police are very grateful for any patrol help they can get. I wonder why it's not the same in New Brunswick.

Simply outrageous.

RU owns University Center (Easton and Somerset) right down from the well known hot spot at Condict and Somerset..,.yet can't police that area?

What reason could there possibly be EVER for RUPD to be restricted from patrolling an area that has to be at least 75% RU students?

There has been a very notable increase in crime surrounding campus this winter...are we supposed to believe it's a coincidence?

Should RU be sued in any of these, RU needs to third party the NBPD, but it should be in the process of getting a TRO to demand the mapping be changed back. Who the hell are these knuckleheads to place students in danger?

The NBPD or Port Authority are in a death battle to be the most corrupt, wasteful, overpaid, and useless public entities in NJ which is saying something.

It might be overlooked that this is specifically about traffic stops. "Title 39 authority" means the motor vehicle code.

Do not know if it affects RUPD being a principle response agency in the 5th and 6th ward. Does not seem to mention that.

It certainly does NOT mean RUPD is limited from enforcing the criminal code "Title 2C" anywhere in the city.

I think it is stupid for NBPD to want less enforcement of traffic laws anywhere in their jurisdiction. Makes you wonder why they would want that?

RU must *love* this publicity. It is incredible that the University is allowing this to pass without lifting a finger.

Barchi keeps talking about improving the message. What is the message here? How does this make RU more attractive?

I was in Brazil last month. On the beaches in Rio they have huge lights set up so that you can walk over there at night. The city actually is concerned with its image.

NBPD has no interest in protecting RU students. The title 39 stuff is indicative. A, they want to make sure they are getting the cash from stops. But B, Title 39 also includes DUI...so let students get mowed down so you can play politics.

What the mom from that article said is telling. Students running home. How can RU attract the best and brightest? Why can't the police set up patrols on the main street for SAFETY because somehow they have the time to ticket for open container and underage drinking. How about a focus on DANGER for once?

Very upsetting that at a time that should be a boon for RU, the leadership is MIA yet again.

Not gonna lie. I was happy to see both the map released, and the fact that the ledger article referred to how nb released their map to a "blogger". That headline really made me smile

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:

NBPD has no interest in protecting RU students. The title 39 stuff is indicative. A, they want to make sure they are getting the cash from stops. But B, Title 39 also includes DUI...so let students get mowed down so you can play politics.
That's the weird part. When RUPD writes you a ticket it goes to the presiding Municipal Court who collects fines fees and penalties. It any of the money stays with RU I'm unaware of that. Same as when the NJSP writes you on the Parkway/Turnpike. It does not go to a State court, but the local municipality.

Makes you wonder what well connected person got a DWI from RUPD on a New Brunswick street. If I were an actual reporter I'd be going through the NB Municipal court records to see if any connected names pop up.

There is obviously a real sh!tstorm brewing and I hope Charlie and others keep at it.

How one police department can just tell another to back out when DUI and other dangerous violations can be committed in an area known for bars and hospitals is mystifying.

Hopefully this (though it should have been the student beating and wrongful arrest incidents) will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and RU and/or the state get involved and force reform in the NBPD.

This is an example of the kind of incident report that is sent out at Camden:

On
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at approximately 11:00 p.m., three individuals
affiliated with the university reported to the Camden County Metro
Police that they were the victims of a robbery at
gunpoint, located within a private residence within the 600 Block of
North 4th Street. [CNO: in a thoroughly bad area that one should be in during daytime, let alone at 11 p.m.]

The victims reported that two males entered the residence and approached the victims while displaying a firearm. [CNO; not clear whose residence it was.]

The
victims, who were not harmed, indicated that the suspects removed cash
and electronics prior to leaving the scene. At this time there is
limited information regarding a suspect description.

Anyone
with information or who may have been in the area at the time is asked
to contact Camden County Metro Police at 856-757-7400 or the Rutgers
University Police Department at 856-225-6009.

The
Rutgers University Police Department reminds you that you can reduce
your chances of being a crime victim by taking reasonable precautions:
keep alert and aware of people and circumstances around
you, avoid isolation and lock your doors. For more crime prevention
information visit the Rutgers Public Safety website at
http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/about-us/safety-security

Authority:

Chief Guy M. Still

Rutgers University Police Department

April 9, 2014

Richard R. Dinan

Captain of Police

Rutgers-Camden Police Department

409 N. Fourth Street

Camden, NJ 08102
p. 856-225-6009 f. 856-964-8480

Do Camden students really live in houses off campus? Eesh. I was under the impression they lived in the Victor if they were going to do that.

BTW, no reports (*knock wood*) since Puskas was arrested in NB, which is great. I think at least a few of the other incidents may be related to him, and perhaps the patrols are helping.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Do Camden students really live in houses off campus? Eesh. I was under the impression they lived in the Victor if they were going to do that.

BTW, no reports (*knock wood*) since Puskas was arrested in NB, which is great. I think at least a few of the other incidents may be related to him, and perhaps the patrols are helping.
NIRH, I don't know how many Camden students live in Camden outside the dorms or outside Victor. Many live in the surrounding communities. I know some live in Camden, generally in apartments rather than houses. I think -- I hope -- it is rare for them to live in such a dangerous neighborhood as the one involved in this incident. Keep in mind, though, that the police report is ambiguous about whose house it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT