ADVERTISEMENT

Guesses on new OC that Schiano allegedly has in place

McNulty. Already on payroll :-)
giphy.gif

Nothing is more important than Schiano's choice of OC. He should hire an OC that is a better pure football coach than himself. A proven offensive genius who already knows how to do more with less.

It is in this hire that we will get our first glimpse into how well Schiano can recruit assistant talent. Can he bring in a big-time experienced OC? He has the budget to do so. There's no excuse not to get a truly epic, experienced OC.

Bring in a great OC and he can cheap out a little with the DC job and focus more attention on that aspect of game day planning and execution.

And please no, not McNulty. Far as I'm concerned, Nunzio did a better job of running the offense than McNulty did, and he did so without some key weapons McNulty had.

Reactions: Block R
Why are people so high on him? He didn't seem to do very well against good competition this year at OK State. Is it just because he's from NJ? If so, we need to think less provincially with this hire.

are you kidding me? Okie state leads the country in plays over 50 yards. They scored under 20 points exactly once this season....against Oklahoma. And they still had over 300 yards of offense. 33 points a game. Hes young, from NJ. This would be not just a home run, but a grand slam.

To get someone this fast, it’s gotta be McNulty, who will run a spread offense, already knows the personnel and the situation. He’s also got a great relationship with Artur. I’m sure McNulty gave him the scouting report on every player.

Every Other name OC knows we lack talent and will be scared off by this. No one wants to come to a trainwreck unless they have no choice.

it’s also important that the OC be compatible with Schiano.

that’s said, would love to have Gleeson, but not sure he’d leave okie state, but would be ecstatic if he did.

another possibility is the current Princeton OC, who worked with Schiano at Tampa Bay, Andrew Aurich.

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/andrew-aurich/7019

Last edited:
To get someone this fast, it’s gotta be McNulty, who will run a spread offense, already knows the personnel and the situation. He’s also got a great relationship with Artur. I’m sure McNulty gave him the scouting report on every player.

Every Other name OC knows we lack talent and will be scared off by this. No one wants to come to a trainwreck unless they have no choice.

that’s said, would love to have Gleeson, but not sure he’d leave okie state, but would be ecstatic if he did.

Plead not McNulty

Reactions: mildone

NO MCNULTY. That would be my first critique of Schiano if that happened.

are you kidding me? Okie state leads the country in plays over 50 yards. They scored under 20 points exactly once this season....against Oklahoma. And they still had over 300 yards of offense. 33 points a game. Hes young, from NJ. This would be not just a home run, but a grand slam.
Not kidding. I'm discussing and so far, have only looked at the points scored this year. Which didn't blow me away.

I'm just getting started reading up on him (first I've heard his name). So I haven't had a chance to dig into the stats that deep yet and appreciate the info in your post.

Reactions: Eagleton96

another possibility is the current Princeton OC, who worked with Schiano at Tampa Bay, Andrew Aurich.
Wrong

Would be a HOME RUN HIRE
I am kind of hoping for someone with more big-time experience. He has exactly one year of it (I don't consider Princeton or Fairleigh Dickinson-Florham big-time). Not saying he's awful, and maybe his youth is a good thing, from a recruiting standpoint, considering Schiano ain't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

I guess I would really like to see an OC who has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to score tons of points from the position of a significant underdog. And looking at the OK State schedule and results for 2019, I didn't see that (plus it was only 1 year which isn't enough data to confidently extrapolate).

The offensive position coaches can always bring the youth and NJ personality to the recruiting effort. An old hand might be better able to free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/andrew-aurich/7019

I would rather have Gleeson as well, but I wonder if this is how Schiano got Art off the transfer portal so quickly.

Reactions: rutgersal
I am kind of hoping for someone with more big-time experience. He has exactly one year of it (I don't consider Princeton or Fairleigh Dickinson-Florham big-time). Not saying he's awful, and maybe his youth is a good thing, from a recruiting standpoint, considering Schiano ain't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

I guess I would really like to see an OC who has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to score tons of points from the position of a significant underdog. And looking at the OK State schedule and results for 2019, I didn't see that (plus it was only 1 year which isn't enough data to confidently extrapolate).

The offensive position coaches can always bring the youth and NJ personality to the recruiting effort. An old hand might be better able to free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting.

I always forget how they’re have never been OC’s or DC’s ego moved from the FCS - or lower - up to the BCS and been successful.

This would be a steal IMHO and, apparently, wifey isn’t a big fan of Stillwater.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT