ADVERTISEMENT

Harper NJ.COM Article

I'm not a stat guy, there are a bunch of fans who are obsessed with it for some reason to denigrate Simpson. I was just pointing out that 13 3s for a season vs potentially doubling that amount and improvements by almost 10%, is "something ".
I kind of agree with you, Simpson is 83% from the line for his career, he clearly has the ability to put the ball through the hoop under the right circumstances.

Freshman 3 point shooting since 2019 under Pike (players at least 1 attempt per game)

2024​
Davis
7​
27​
25.9%​
2024​
Griffiths
18​
76​
23.7%​
2023​
Simpson
13​
60​
21.7%​
2022​
Jones
7​
30​
23.3%​
2019​
Harper
30​
108​
27.8%​
2019​
McConnell
20​
56​
35.7%​
2019​
Mathis
16​
67​
23.9%​
111​
424​
26.2%​
Is this a list the five star McDonald's All Americans? For the record our last MCD AA shot 30% from 3 as a Frosh.

Shooting percentages are all about how much time does the player get to set his feet and how much airspace does the player have.
That's definitely part of it. If a player all his life has played offense in Heart Rate zone 2 and then moves to Heart Rate Zone 4 that could also be a factor.

For those that think i am crazy why do all our players wear heart rate monitors in their shorts? Data means something

Shooting percentages are all about how much time does the player get to set his feet and how much airspace does the player have.

How the ball moves from player to player, also matters as well.

In terms of Dylan and Ace, I think taking some sophomore college stats would be a more accurate comparison to what their numbers at RU will look like. Both players and Lathan Sommerville, are very good shooting the ball.

What if I told fans that the 21.7% Derek Simpson from 3 as a freshman, is currently at 30.2% from 3 so far this year...??

What if I told fans that since JWill arrived, Simpson is 6 of 14 from 3 in his last 5 games??

If you have better players around you, you'll find better shots, cleaner looks etc. It is impossible to evaluate Gavin Griffiths with just 5 games and limited minutes with JWill......I would have to take a safe guess that as 3 to 4 more talented players are added to the roster in 2024, it can only help the shot selection and shooting percentages for Simpson, Gavin and even Mag should be able to pull his percentages up from 3.
Simpson is shooting 35.8% in the twenty games he started. Missed every attempt he took off the bench.

• Wow
Reactions: Eagleton96
It'll be easy for Cliff to find a roster spot overseas. Many countries allow only two Americans per team. Cliff is not an American. Hence, receiving a roster spot and a decent financial offer from a few teams is highly likely.

Cliff loves attending school and is a good student. He may want to use the extra Covid year to pursue further academic goals.

His decision will be interesting. Here's hoping he makes a decision early and does not make the staff wait until after the NBA draft process. I doubt it, though. It'll probably be another off-season of waiting and wondering...
If there was a way to pay him, I could see him coming back.

Freshman 3 point shooting since 2019 under Pike (players at least 1 attempt per game)

2024​
Davis
7​
27​
25.9%​
2024​
Griffiths
18​
76​
23.7%​
2023​
Simpson
13​
60​
21.7%​
2022​
Jones
7​
30​
23.3%​
2019​
Harper
30​
108​
27.8%​
2019​
McConnell
20​
56​
35.7%​
2019​
Mathis
16​
67​
23.9%​
111​
424​
26.2%​
Though on few attempts, you gotta wonder what happened to Caleb’s shot.

I know right after this he went through some tough injuries including back. Always wondered if that messed up his form or 2019 was just lucky.

At 35% he would’ve been a lottery pick lol

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Underscores how much of a warrior he was to defend the way he did. Maybe my all time favorite Knight
One of my favorites too.
Although I'm old enough to have seen Phil Sellers play for Rutgers.
No one can compare to what he brought to the team.

One of my favorites too.
Although I'm old enough to have seen Phil Sellers play for Rutgers.
No one can compare to what he brought to the team.
the thing about Phil was, he had five star talent plus he gave 1000% every second he was on the floor and demanded the same from his teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT