ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Rettig

Whoa...not play all three. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three play. I just don't think Rettig has what it takes to start. And it's not to say I think Lav is good or anything.
Most of us saw nothing in Rettig's play ( when he got a chance) to warrant
not getting a further look.) like, did he throw poorly, run poorly, make bad mistakes,
not run or throw for touchdown? Go 5 consecutive games without a touch down?
To me, he did very well and needed to play himself out of the rotation. Like maybe play
in a game or two with Carroo. Flood seems to be afraid to play him with Carroo
fearing he would make the coach look bad.
You say you don't think Rettig has what it takes, based on what? certainly not what
you saw on the field. So what feelings were you flooded with?

The fact that Rettig never got on the field with RU's best receiver speaks volumes. I still don't understand how anyone could believe he was given a decent opportunity when Laviano got to throw to a receiver that's about to catch passes in the NFL and Rettig did not.

Looking at the videos from today with Gio and Laviano, and adding in the comments from Rettig, and from the general knowledge of each personality from last season, it seems pretty obvious to me that Laviano is the most closed minded and least enthusiastic about the new offense of the three. He also seems a f*ckin douschebag and in need of an attitude adjustment. Id give 2:1 odds that Laviano is NOT the starter next season.

He was quite the dick last year on Twitter after facing some criticism.

Flood's handling of QBS was, in part, an attempt to seperate himself from Schiano. Its also the reason why every OC left him every year.
A bigger part of the reason is that with the exception of Friedgen and maybe Prince, the OC's under Flood were lousy coaches.

A bigger part of the reason is that with the exception of Friedgen and maybe Prince, the OC's under Flood were lousy coaches.
And let's not forget that paragon of QB coaching virtue, Coach Spence. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell he did to earn his paycheck.

Reactions: RUChoppin
“Hayden has come out and thrown the ball very, very well,” Mehringer said. “Honestly, from where I thought he would be, he’s practiced better than I thought he would, which is very encouraging.”

Man, I'd love for Rettig to light it up this year (just like his brother did) and show everyone just how stupid Flood was.

Well if Gio starts, then it's obvious the new staff is biased against Rettig.

I'd almost like to see Ash select Laviano just to watch all these QB experts heads explode.

Ash will play the young man who he believes gives RU the best chance to win. Whether or not it's Laviano, all the bitching in the world won't change that.

Reactions: mychaljohn
Without adding fuel to the fire, one of Rettigs pluses is arm strength. For those quick hitters and bubble screens, the ball needs to be there in a hurry.

I'd almost like to see Ash select Laviano just to watch all these QB experts heads explode.

Ash will play the young man who he believes gives RU the best chance to win. Whether or not it's Laviano, all the bitching in the world won't change that.
And all the QB changes in the world won't stop our resident couch-coaches from bitching about the QB if we have another rough season. And so the cycle continues. [laughing]

Let's see if Ash sees something in Retting that people on this board do. Rettig has to win the job in the spring.

“Hayden has come out and thrown the ball very, very well,” Mehringer said. “Honestly, from where I thought he would be, he’s practiced better than I thought he would, which is very encouraging.”
So where did Mehringer get this idea from, before he even threw one ball?
Piekiel did admit that Laviano did give him an edge going in. I've talked with
Hayden when we met last summer, and I came away so very impressed the
way he conducted himself, so good luck kid and don't let up.

Maybe he got the idea from studying practice film, game film and so forth.

This is part of why I laugh at all the confident prognostications about who the QB should be from people who haven't 1/100th of the visibility into the situation that any coach, including Flood and staff, would have. The fans see so very little of what goes into the choices of such things. But then the fans always assume they know better than those who do have all the information.

Assumptions fly fast and furious in the world. Football fan message boards are no exception.

I like that Laviano fights back.

Apparently, the fans are allowed to be classless but the QB has to have the patience of a saint. According to the fans. [roll]

Yeah grown men act like spoiled brats but expect a 20 year old who was the target of their abhorrent behavior to act more maturely than they did,

Kid is having the game of his career. He gets his bell rung, and sits out for one play. He hears booing as he takes the field. Some QBs would have considered flipping the crowd the bird. But he should have known those boos were for the Coach and not him. And as far as his Twitter/Instagram post, his team was behind him that they thought the booing was classless. Only the "adult" booers can do no wrong. Is booer a word, or maybe we should just drop the "e" and that would fit.

Reactions: mildone
Kid is having the game of his career. He gets his bell rung, and sits out for one play. He hears booing as he takes the field. Some QBs would have considered flipping the crowd the bird. But he should have known those boos were for the Coach and not him. And as far as his Twitter/Instagram post, his team was behind him that they thought the booing was classless. Only the "adult" booers can do no wrong. Is booer a word, or maybe we should just drop the "e" and that would fit.
Thing is, I'm understanding of grown men acting like children as our fans did that day. It happens. We can all become frustrated and behave childishly. What I fail to understand is the lengths they will go to to attempt to rationalize their behavior.

Booing fans are acting like 2 year-olds that aren't getting their way and haven't learned to contain their frustration. There's no rationalizing that away. After they calm themselves down, they should be able to admit what they did. But many don't.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Aside from his comments/perceived attitude, I think Laviano just has one of those faces and demeanors that are easy to dislike, but you cant really put your finger on why. After watching him speak a few times, its just hard to like him/root for him. Even just looking at his face makes me irked/mad lol. It makes sense why he isnt more popular with the fans.

Aside from his comments/perceived attitude, I think Laviano just has one of those faces and demeanors that are easy to dislike, but you cant really put your finger on why. After watching him speak a few times, its just hard to like him/root for him. Even just looking at his face makes me irked/mad lol. It makes sense why he isnt more popular with the fans.
You are the first person to say something like this, and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, maybe it is just YOUR perception of him. He seems fine. Gary Nova had his moments over his career, and by his senior year, all was forgiven by most fans. Young men mature differently, and the QB has the eyes of everyone on him. I have no problem with anything Laviano has done, because he has done everything asked of him. It is not his fault Flood never subbed in another QB when he was having a rough game.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Everyone wants to see their opinion validated but it is a new year and let the best man win the job and let's rally behind him and hope the coaching staff knows how to make adjustments this season.

If Laviano had performed better and the team had won more, this ^^^^ would never enter into the equation.

Unfortunately he didn't meet the fans expectations and the team didn't win more than they lost making rationalizations like your post easier.

I guess Mike Teel and Gary Nova, two other RU QB's who heard more than their share of boos, suffered from the same facial malady and personality issues.

Maybe instead of watching film and personal evaluations, Rutgers should hire Willa Ford to offer the next QB with help from the Dale Carnegie Organization.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
All anyone wanted to see was Rettig getting an equal opportunity in a game to see what he could do. At least during the games, he was never given that shot. He played well enough w/o Carroo in the first game and that was the last we saw of him.
We have seen with Michigan where a coaching change can make a big difference w/ the same talent. I'm not comparing our talent level with Michigan or Ash to their coach, just saying coaching can make a big difference in football and Flood clearly was in over his head.
Is it about coaching the team in accordance with your own principles for giving you the best chance to win, or satisfying fan curiosity in order to get the heat off yourself. I have a lot of respect for Flood doing what he thought was right even though he knew it was unpopular and was going to get him reamed by the fans. He certainly didn't have the talent or the discipline to win in the B1G, but he wasn't out to appease a lackluster fan base. Doesn't make him a good Big Ten head coach, but I loved him sticking with his starter when the rain came.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Is it about coaching the team in accordance with your own principles for giving you the best chance to win, or satisfying fan curiosity in order to get the heat off yourself. I have a lot of respect for Flood doing what he thought was right even though he knew it was unpopular and was going to get him reamed by the fans. He certainly didn't have the talent or the discipline to win in the B1G, but he wasn't out to appease a lackluster fan base. Doesn't make him a good Big Ten head coach, but I loved him sticking with his starter when the rain came.

Thought it was horrible what Flood did. Even if Laviano was head and shoulders better than Rettig, he should have pulled him to shake things up a little bit. Maybe Rettig would have provide a spark?

There are some that would call that crazy or just plain stubborn. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Just like he did with Nova when he was throwing 6 interceptions. Its not uncommon for a coach to put a QB on the bench for a series to give them a chance to see whats going on or just to clear their head.

Either way it all worked out for the team and the fans of this team in the long run since we have a new energetic coach and staff, I for one am excited to see what the future holds.

Without adding fuel to the fire, one of Rettigs pluses is arm strength. For those quick hitters and bubble screens, the
Your lot of respect for Flood was shared by Laviano, who says well I'm QB
no matter what, so let me stay out drinking (illegally) all night the
evening before practice, and if the fans don't like it I'll give them the
finger. If that's how Laviano would show his thanks for being picked
first, I would have slapped him on the back of the head suspended
him from the team, and said " Son you better straighten up if want to
play for me." You are disrespecting me, Rutgers, the team, and the
QB's. Shape up or ship out I have a 4 star that would love being in your
position," Well that's just me."

Come on man. He faced more than normal "criticism". The crap he faced was classless and totally uncalled for.

You play college football in public you are expected to not insult your fans and alumni. If you do so you lose the support from some of them. I am one of those who's support he lost. If he can't stand the heat...

And hey if you guys want to keep supporting a player that basically told you as a fan to go to hell we'll that says something about you.

Your lot of respect for Flood was shared by Laviano, who says well I'm QB
no matter what, so let me stay out drinking (illegally) all night the
evening before practice, and if the fans don't like it I'll give them the
finger. If that's how Laviano would show his thanks for being picked
first, I would have slapped him on the back of the head suspended
him from the team, and said " Son you better straighten up if want to
play for me." You are disrespecting me, Rutgers, the team, and the
QB's. Shape up or ship out I have a 4 star that would love being in your
position," Well that's just me."

Can't get mad at Laviano. When you're not an Elite player, it's easy to get caught in the trappings that lie outside the game. This is totally 100 percent on the Coach, and his culture.

The Answer is simple, recruit Elite players. All of this other stuff comes with forcing 2nd and yes 3rd tier talent into starting positions.

I know it's early, but Coach Ash is already in heaps of trouble.

You play college football in public you are expected to not insult your fans and alumni. If you do so you lose the support from some of them. I am one of those who's support he lost. If he can't stand the heat...

And hey if you guys want to keep supporting a player that basically told you as a fan to go to hell we'll that says something about you.
I agree with you that he should not insult his fans and alumni because of the potential impact on financial support.

However, he didn't tell all fans to go to hell. Only those that deserved it. Since I never act like a spoiled two year old and boo players or coaches, he didn't tell me to go to hell. He's only telling the immature adults in our fan base to go to hell.

So while I agree it's not a great idea from a financial support standpoint, and if I were his coach, I would teach him to rise above it all, I still can't help but admire him for standing up for himself, his team, and his coaches.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Laviano's latest comments were insufficient. This is not the NY Giants. Many in those stands have given 10 of thousands of dollars to the university that they love. That's all he thinks about is supporting his coach? What about the fans and alumni? Sorry I expect more.

Piekiel did admit that Laviano did give him an edge going in. I've talked with
Hayden when we met last summer, and I came away so very impressed the
way he conducted himself, so good luck kid and don't let up.[/QUOTE

He would have seen him throw a lot before the first official practice. Kids practice unofficially all off season.

Fans are inherently narrow minded when it comes to judging QB's. It is really a small percentage of people who get it and this thread proves it.

As always, I stand by the QB on the field and the majority of you will stand by the guy on the bench or the guy playing for another team. If the HC plays one QB and we lose then he is an idiot. If the HC plays more than one QB and we lose then he is an idiot. This will not change.

Good luck to all of our QB's and our staff. I don't care who ends up on the field just win us some games and be prepared for criticism when you lose...and sometimes when you when.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT